• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the following parenthesis pretty much solidifies it as a non-joke or anything of that nature.

But eh, it never looks good when a developer tries to guilt trip their customers--where a significant part are children--into paying up just because they're playing a free to play game.

Yep, as I said earlier in the thread, his feelings are probably justified but his chosen outlet made this is a disaster.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
I bet all the redditors will be stunned when they leave that the apex devs don't actually see any of the money from mtx personally.

Then even more shocked when they learn that they're actual human beings with emotions who don't like getting called shit on the Internet.

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
I'm on his side to be honest. People who complain about monetizing skins are insane, the game is free.

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's not really wrong about any of that... but it doesn't make some of the shit they're pulling any less disgusting.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
while he is not wrong at all, gamers are dicks, their decision in the game was complete and utter trash. simple as that. So while i feel for the devs, they are part of the EA greed plan.

Oct 27, 2017
Gamers, truly the most oppressed group in society.
What? Saying fuck EA is not the same as 'fuck that dev in particular I hope they get fired'. No one (at least here) is saying that. EA's feelings will be allright.

I'm just pointing out that the idea that there is a "not greedy" game company out there is a fantasy. All companies are balancing what amount of money they can get vs. what market is willing to bear. Even for games that you deem ethical, it's because they determined that particular business practice was in their best interest.

That's not to to say that you have to buy microtransactions or support games that have monetization practices that you don't agree with. I think it's just important that people realize that making money is the top priority and no developer or publisher will be handing out or discounting stuff because of the kindness of their hearts.
Sure, but it's the consumers responsiblity to keep that in check, by NOT consuming and provide fair criticism about said practices. Companies go as far as people let them.

Not only that, there's a real danger in targeting individuals as a small handful of people are just batshit crazy and will use their free time to go a step or two further than insults.
I think I don't follow.

Mastermind

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm always amazed at players of f2p games complaining about cosmetic skins costing too much money.
Me too. They have zero impact at all. Literally complaining because they want the useless cosmetic for cheaper. It's clear. If you want it badly enough, then you'll waste your money pay. Their entire purpose is to milk the wallets.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That has to feel good to finally say something like that, gamers can be exactly what he says. There's no civil discussion when it comes to something that offend a gamer, its scorched earth name calling from second zero.

Bitmap Frogs

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
This is a fucking business. I don't get why some of you don't get this. They do not have any obligation to do anything other than make money. FTP games are paid for by a small group of people who spend money. Everyone else gets the core game for free.

This is disngenuous.

F2P games build in mechanics so that free players can thrive because without them the whales won't come. There's no point buying a 200 dollar skin if there's no one to show off to, there's no point in buying gameplay advantadges if there's no one to stomp with these advantadges.

So called "freeloaders" are a core part of any succesful F2P - attempting to disparage them as if they're irrelevant to the product is at best misguided, at worst deceptive.

idioteque

Nov 8, 2017
I generally dislike microtransactions, especially in games where you have to pay £50 for the game. But in a F2P game, I couldn't care at all about cosmetic items. I simply just wouldn't buy them. I think it's how it's done though rather than the cost of it which is the issue for me. Lootboxes are shit. The gaming industry needs to stop it. Just have a marketplace and let people buy what they want. Charge extra for it if you need to make money. But as long as consumers know exactly what they are buying and what it costs upfront, no one can complain then.

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
gamers are trash.

devs are gamers.

sometimes devs are trash.

we're all trash.

trash.

*stares into the void*

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
This is disngenuous.

F2P games build in mechanics so that free players can thrive because without them the whales won't come. There's no point buying a 200 dollar skin if there's no one to show off to, there's no point in buying gameplay advantadges if there's no one to stomp with these advantadges.

So called "freeloaders" are a core part of any succesful F2P - attempting to disparage them as if they're irrelevant to the product is at best misguided, at worst deceptive.
You don't need other players for paid customization to work.
There's no payer advantage in Apex Legends either.

What F2P players do for most games is provide the necessary critical mass for matchmaking.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
So basically they're furious that shiny hats in a free game are too expensive?
They don't want overpriced lootboxes and overpriced skins. And they don't want to read bullshit like "we tried doing discounts but nobody buys skins for 1200 coins instead of 1800 coins" when you still need to buy 2000 coins because you have no other options.
Nah, fuck "professionalism", go off King. I fully support developers dragging shit-fuck entitled gamers. I mean look, we agree that loot boxes suck, etc. But I havn't felt the need to buy shit in Apex, and it's still one of the best games of the year. /shrug

Yeah fuck these toxic entitled gamers who don't want gambling in videogames, go Respawn, make these lootboxes $100 each to piss them off more! I don't need these cosmetics, why should I care.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
4O1jhFu.jpg

Holy shit

Its hilarious that he wants to go back in time. I'd also like to go back to the time when $2.5 horse armor was considered outrageous and incredibly scummy.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Predatory mtx that is designed to exploit addictive personalities is as toxic as it gets imo. That is what makes situations like this very difficult. Lives are actually ruined by bad mtx and I think what is most infuriating is that Respawn did this AFTER the BF2 debacle. It's like no lessons were learned at all. These companies have very few morals when in comes to exploiting their players with systems that are literally designed for addiction.

It sucks that there are losers out there that can't form an arguement and just call people names and harass devs because the people at the top of these exploitative companies use these harassing posts to shield themselves and alter the discussion all the while making bank on addicts.
Pretty much.

SheriffMcDuck

Oct 27, 2017
Obviously I do not agree with attacking the devs about this.

But I'm also not surprised that they get reactions like this because we live in an environment where if you do not loudly voice your displeasure to businesses and companies about what you feel is anti-consumer you will be promptly ignored and nothing will change. That does not in anyway justify direct personal attacks against individual people are the company, obviously. They should be directing that displeasure in a broad sense toward the developer as a whole.

I just find it weird lately that there seems to be a cherry picking of the worst comments and people who go too far, then those are pointed to as evidence that "gamers are trash" and "see devs are right" and the over-all criticism gets dismissed. We're in a high tension environment when it comes to customer-company relationships right now and I think it would be much more productive to say that collective voicing of displeasure is a good thing but the rude/asshole posts specifically are unacceptable, not the way to do it and should be pointed out as such.

Instead I feel like we're getting this weird self-loathing "fuck gamers, I side with the devs" thing happening here lately whenever this happens when the reality is the vast majority of people are just trying to call out what they view as anti-consumer practices and are not acting this way.
Tribalism is running rampant right now, and so is outrage culture. Everyone is just trying to drum up support.

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
The apologism for devs calling the player base, that they hire psychologists to better make gambling addicts out of, freeloaders is fucking frightening.

It's like the scene from Breaking Bad where Jesse unloads at the self help group.

"You know what - why I'm here in the first place? Is to sell you meth. You're nothing to me but customers."

You know who aren't freeloaders to these devs?
  • Kids who run up their parents credit cards without their knowledge.
  • Kids who have been manipulated to beg their parents for V-bucks.
  • Kids who are ostracized at school because they can't afford a fancy skin in this digital slot machine.

Seriously, fuck this entire predatory industry and their entitlement to people's money via addiction. They aren't creators, they're fucking parasites.
This

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
the real marks are the idiots buying $5+ skins.

Well I mean people were getting bullied in schools for not getting the best skins in Fortnite and then you have addictive personalities that are the targets of these predatory systems. Many of them are addicts not idiots. EA and the Devs beneath them them love fleecing addicts.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
He's right, gamers are trash and entitled, there's nothing wrong with that.

The gaming community says worse things to developers, i stand with the Apex dev in this case.

Toxicity, threats, etc are never acceptable.

However the "i remember a time" framing is absurd. The poster is right pointing out that it's games that have changed, not gamers. Microtransactions, lootboxes, etc are exploitative by design. Developers and publishers need to be called out.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah—the idea that F2P games with cosmetic MTX stuff only work when there is a significant number of players who haven't bought cosmetics doesn't really bear out in practice, tbh. I understand the rationale, but in reality, players' willingness to spend money on cosmetic items doesn't actually correlate to how many people don't have cosmetic items (in my experience)

Eisen Sora

Jun 22, 2018
There are lots of truths here, but not expresed with the right words. Totally 100% with the developers this time but them (Respawn) need to change their MTX on Apex Legends ASAP because with every new event, they make even worst decisions ( first with their market place, second with the first season pass and now with the Iron Crown event)

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The apologism for devs calling the player base, that they hire psychologists to better make gambling addicts out of, freeloaders is fucking frightening.

It's like the scene from Breaking Bad where Jesse unloads at the self help group.

"You know what - why I'm here in the first place? Is to sell you meth. You're nothing to me but customers."

• Kids who are ostracized at school because they can't afford a fancy skin in this digital slot machine.

Seriously, fuck this entire predatory industry and their entitlement to people's money via addiction. They aren't creators, they're fucking parasites.

Well.said

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
This is disngenuous.

Yeah, but lets be real here, the f2p players dont play to do the devs a favor, they play because the devs made a quality product which they enjoy, and they get to enjoy it for free.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Great post.

Anyone defending this should wake the fuck up.

Deleted member 274

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck gamers but also calling people who play the game that you released as Free To Play freeloaders is fucking nuts

Godforbid a human being is not interested in biting into your abusive monetization system

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Ah, this again.
The only developer I know of that hires psychologists for monetization/game dev is Valve.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Yes.

Respawn has put out a free game and is only charging for skins, but gamers are angry because the skins cost too much, and they want to pay less for their skins.

These skins/etc are purely cosmetic.
So basically they're furious that shiny hats in a free game are too expensive?

Why do you see it that way? Most people are okay with a f2p game offering $18 skins-- even if expensive-- as long as you can purchase it outright. Fans are comparing the $18 compared to $18 for cosmetics in other games and saying Apex's skins aren't that good, but that's not the backlash.

From what I see, the lootboxes being priced extraordinarily high is the issue. The issue is that lootboxes are designed particularly in Apex, to get you to spend a chance at winning something. The method of doing so is far more predatory than other games, if Im not mistaken.

The backlash is completely against the nature of lootboxes, as evident by many posters who are calling out that companies like EA 100% know how to exploit fans. EA knows exactly what they were attempting to do.

The backlash is against the apology that we've heard multiple times before, where EA backtracks after trying to normalize lootboxes in their games.

To many fans, this is a tired old act of companies knowing full well what they are doing, but then pretending that they made an honest mistake.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Yes.

Respawn has put out a free game and is only charging for skins, but gamers are angry because the skins cost too much, and they want to pay less for their skins.

A 200 dollar skin is almost by nature exploitative.

You think only uber wealthy waste their money here?

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
They deserve the flack they catch for the freeloaders thing. Apex's pricing for cosmetics has consistently been warm dogshit.

Bitmap Frogs

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Yeah, but lets be real here, the f2p players dont play to do the devs a favor, they play because the devs made a quality product which they enjoy, and they get to enjoy it for free.

Oh, absolutely.

But it's a 2 way street there... free players get a decent if incomplete experience, devs get a critical mass of players.

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
I gotta be honest with you ERA, I'm appalled at the amount of "it's just cosmetics" and "how they don't affect anything" posts here. It's like you're totally oblivious to how much damage these sinister models have done to people.

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't buy anything from Apex. But I introduced two friends to the game, and they have bought both season passes. So this freeloader gave them two paying customers. What gives?

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Didn't tell a damn lie. Also, the "freeloaders" comment wasn't even an insult or in bad faith, so what the fuck.

Still, he really should have expressed himself using another kind of language. I sadly expect them to get fired soon.

As for the "they deserve some criticism for this or that", tantrums and telling hard working people to go fuck themselves etc. isnt "criticism", it's harassment. It is possible to communicate criticism without being a fucking asshole.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This industry is such a fucking shitshow.
Child-like, toxic behaviour meets dirty, rich scum abusing nickel-diming.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
Yes.

Me too. They have zero impact at all. Literally complaining because they want the useless cosmetic for cheaper. It's clear. If you want it badly enough, then you'll waste your money pay. Their entire purpose is to milk the wallets.
This argument has always been bad and should have been kiboshed years ago. You don't have to care about cosmetics but arguing that on the whole they do not impact the player experience in a major way is disingenous.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Ah, this again.
The only developer I know of that hires psychologists is Valve.

Let's not. The systems are designed by psychologists to best manipulate addictive tendencies no one said Respawn actually staffs one. The systems are already made, Respawn just implemented them. It's like distributing a poison. You don't have to have aided in the development of the poison to get in trouble for using it.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Im staying out of this one but I will say that everybody, both inside and outside the industry, really underestimates how difficult it is to talk to consumers in the F2P market