CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Yup. Years ago. I threw up after the first session from exhaustion but it got better lol Really enjoyed, took it as a fitness thing more than self-defense.

Deleted member 1659

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jiu-jitsu black belt here, 15 years of experience, have my own school.

Stylistically we never use closed guard, open only, lots of leglocks, with a bit of catch and sambo mixed in.

Also lol at the other guy above talking about there being no good videos back in the day, so true! We'd all get together to watch whatever new video someone bought, or all trade around a new book when it came out. When you heard about a new blue belt, it was a HUGE freaking deal... and a blackbelt?? it was years before I even saw my first one.

The access that we have to bjj information now (free or otherwise) is truly amazing!

Another OG here sweet.

When I first started, seeing a blue belt was rare. A purple belt was like a Bigfoot sighting, you had to take photos so people wouldn't think you were lying. There were something only like 5 black belts in my country (Canada) when I started. One out in Vancouver, two in Toronto, two in Montreal. I was lucky enough to come up training in Montreal so I had a black belt instructor from white to black. I toyed around with opening my own school as well but I still enjoy training and learning at my own pace. Maybe one day.

Dec 24, 2017
I can't wait to get back on the mats. Got medically cleared. Threw out my lumbar a week before I was supposed to start. Now 3 months to wait. But I really can't wait.

Banglish

Banned
Dec 16, 2017
Another OG here sweet.

When I first started, seeing a blue belt was rare. A purple belt was like a Bigfoot sighting, you had to take photos so people wouldn't think you were lying. There were something only like 5 black belts in my country (Canada) when I started. One out in Vancouver, two in Toronto, two in Montreal. I was lucky enough to come up training in Montreal so I had a black belt instructor from white to black. I toyed around with opening my own school as well but I still enjoy training and learning at my own pace. Maybe one day.

Nice I'm in Winnipeg! Where did you grow up training?

Sho Nuff

Jan 6, 2019
Kyoto, JP
I've been at it for a while, used to go 5-6 times a week for years, dialing it back now because I'm in my mid-40s. I have my brown belt but I've got a real bad case of impostor syndrome about it. I wish I was still a purple.

BJJ is my favorite thing to do, but do bear in mind it can fuck you up and problems can compound in later years. I got off pretty easy, but at each belt I've had a nasty injury that put me out of commission for a while.

(Looks at fingers) Jesus christ.

Dec 24, 2017
I've been at it for a while, used to go 5-6 times a week for years, dialing it back now because I'm in my mid-40s. I have my brown belt but I've got a real bad case of impostor syndrome about it. I wish I was still a purple.

BJJ is my favorite thing to do, but do bear in mind it can fuck you up and problems can compound in later years. I got off pretty easy, but at each belt I've had a nasty injury that put me out of commission for a while.

I'm 50/50 horrified/envious of those type of fingers.

I started taping my fingers early on.

Banglish

Banned
Dec 16, 2017

I was just talking about this with others at the end of my class yesterday. I don't "feel" like a blue belt. I wish I could have had one more competition as white lol.

Montreal. I've trained at multiple schools there but the guy that gave me my BB was Bruno Fernandes. If you came up in Winnipeg, I imagine you trace your lineage back to Mundaruca.

How many schools are there in Montreal? I'm curious to know because the scene is so small in Canada. I'm training under Curtis Brigham, BB under Bob McRoberts. Not sure if there is a direct link to Mundaruca.

Deleted member 1659

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was just talking about this with others at the end of my class yesterday. I don't "feel" like a blue belt. I wish I could have had one more competition as white lol.

How many schools are there in Montreal? I'm curious to know because the scene is so small in Canada. I'm training under Curtis Brigham, BB under Bob McRoberts. Not sure if there is a direct link to Mundaruca.

Oh wow, that's a very old lineage. Bob was the guy credited with bringing Mundaruca over, I don't believe he got his BB under him though but there is a connection.

Montreal was one of the first cities in Canada to have a black belt there. There's a ton of schools and affiliation but our Bob McRoberts equivalent would be Phillip Gelinas who owns GAMMA. He brought over Wagney Fabiano and later Fabio Holanda to teach BJJ out of his gym. Montreal has a ton of schools, I no longer live there so I can't give you an honest audit but there's Gracie Barra, BTT Canada, One Jiu JItsu which spawned off of BTT Canada drama, Tristar, H20, Revolution, 10th Planet, Carlson Gracie etc.

TrAcEr_x90

Oct 27, 2017
So what is everyone's thoughts on still training with Corona going around? I want to train super bad but kind of second guessing going for at least this week.

kidnemo

Dec 11, 2017
So what is everyone's thoughts on still training with Corona going around? I want to train super bad but kind of second guessing going for at least this week.

Ill be going in tonight to teach a bjj class in a couple of hours. Literally all I've done today is speak to clients who were at the gym working out or on social media about what is happening with Corona.

One of our students is a nurse in a hospital, she expressed some concerns about her personally training, due to being in a hospital all the time and her levels of exposure being so high. She said WE should continue to do bjj classes normally, but depending on how things go over the next couple of weeks possibly changing the class format to a no-contact/drilling/stretching format.

I think thats a super effective compromise to still get people moving around but mitigating potential risks. Only time will tell of course. I am in midwest america FYI so other peoples response will be different obviously.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Would like to, but the schedules for BJJ gyms here are whack. Either super early in the morning or super late in the evening with nothing in between.

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
I've stopped training (UK) due to the virus and the fact my wife is due to have our first baby next month. I am a bit pissed off at my gym, which is continuing to open and my coach who has been spamming "it's not as bad as the flu" bollocks all over FB.

Deleted member 1659

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope you guys took advantage of all the free instructionals given away in the past few weeks.

PM me if you missed out on a promotion, I can just give you my copy.

Deleted member 1659

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got the Bernard and danaher ones. Is there others?

Yes.

Travis Stevens released a free instructional on BJJ Fanatics today.

GrappleArts is running a promotion where they're giving away a free instructional of your choice. Just go to their website.

Something that wasn't as well publicized is that BJJ Fanatic's sister sites, Wrestling Fanatic and Judo Fanatic were also giving out 1 free instructional priced $77 or less. Both of these promos have ended unfortunately.

Renzo Gracie Online is free for a month.

Caio Terra Online is also free for at least two weeks and DOES NOT require you to put in your CC information.

Jason Scully is offering lifetime membership to his website for $87. It's easily the best bang for your buck membership site out there.

Digitsu is also making a lot of their videos for free.