• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you feel about long holidays?

• Hell yes, give me more long holidays!

Votes: 864 90.9%
  • I'm indifferent

Votes: 49 5.2%
  • Let me get back to work right now

Votes: 37 3.9%

• Total voters

SchuckyDucky

Avenger
Nov 5, 2017
I only get Christmas Day and New Year's Day off this year. Have to work every day in between. Would love to have all those days off.

Good4Squat

Nov 2, 2017
I kind of like having something else to do during the day that isn't about me. But sometimes I'd rather just stay home, so I'm a bit conflicted about it.

Oct 28, 2017
I sort of get where you're coming from, OP. For me it's less about actively wanting to go back to work, and more about wanting to get back into a routine and return to normality.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want to literally sit on my ass and not work for the next year. I'd stay active with sports and the gym but work wise, im exhausted.

TibimusPrime

Nov 26, 2017
I'm not exactly a workaholic, as I always try to get out of the office on time. And I love holidays, I really do. A few days off work or maybe a week at most? Hell yes, I'll spend them to play video games, bring my family out of home, or visit my relatives. However, if it's anything longer than that, it'd be too long for me and I really can't take it. Work has become a habit and I always miss it if I have a leave that long. Yes, I could have a vacation somewhere, but if it's a long holiday, it'll be full of people everywhere and I hate it. It's because everyone has the same thinking, it's a long holiday and it's the time for a vacation. I usually have a vacation outside of national holidays, so I can enjoy the places to the fullest.

It's still Dec 27th, and my work starts on Jan 2nd which is still almost a week away. I'm going crazy here.

How about you, Era?
jesus christ, are you me ?! ..i really feel the same way, i took off four weeks of work because i have / had to many hours so i was forced to take some free time ..i'm off untill the 6th of Januari, it just feels like i can't wait to go back to work

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Say I took two weeks off from work, there comes a put during the period (usually just after the halfway point) where I genuinely feel recharged and ready to go back to work. I get curious about the task I left and what the office got up to while I was away. I'm grateful that I don't have to deal with it (especially at the start of the holiday period) but I reach a point where doing nothing or laying around by the pool/TV becomes boring in itself and I want to mentally and physically challenge myself again. Thank goodness I get a lot of holidays in my job so I can feel sufficiently rested from work.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
You not only prefer working to taking a vacation, your garbage job doesn't even pay you enough to go to the movies regularly?

Jesus fucking Christ with this shit already...
I probably worded that part wrong. I simply don't treat going to movies as my priority spending, as I'd rather spend them on games or others. I regularly spend $1k each year for video games, and I only go to movies like once a month, even less nowadays. And if you read my OP and previous posts, I do take vacations and I can afford them, but not at long public holidays like right now because it's not fun at all.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
I'll take all the long holidays but sometimes I do enjoy getting back into my normal sleep, food, and workout schedule.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Hell no! I'm so happy to be off for two weeks every year around this time. Just lets me do my own thing and refresh my mind to get ready for another year of bullshit at work.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I wish I never had to "work" ever again, instead, focus on creative endeavors and help as many people as possible.

I'm already over doing mindless tasks just make other people rich.

PerfectFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
nah, just hate that saying. There are going to be so many things to regret on our death bed, working wont be top 10.

In my twenties I was making over 6 figures (in Texas), but part of it was having to work nights and weekends. I missed so much of my kids young lives because of it. In this day and age, I'd imagine my situation was not unique. So yeah, it's up there.

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My response will be very strange given my actual circumstances. But apart from that, hell no. Give me holidays.

hephaestus

Oct 28, 2017
In my twenties I was making over 6 figures (in Texas), but part of it was having to work nights and weekends. I missed so much of my kids young lives because of it. In this day and age, I'd imagine my situation was not unique. So yeah, it's up there.

I see what your saying I did the same working oil fields, but if I had been on my death bed then I certainly would have regretted spending so much time online and wished I had worked even more to leave a larger nest egg for my family.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'm doing everything I can to get some more days off since my work is still having shifts, just smaller shorter ones.

So no, please bring more long holidays. It refreshes me for the rest of the year.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Considering how slow work is this week and possibly next week, they should give us the two weeks off.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I am with the OP.

Vacations are overrated. And while we are on the subject I would be ok with a paycut too. Give me some more work and then I can be truly happy.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
When I worked in academia we'd get fuckin 13 days off on Wednesday Christmas/New Years, and I'd often take the previous Monday and Following Friday off to turn it into like ~18 consecutive days off. Now-a-days in corporate I get Christmas Day, New Years Day, and a half day on Christmas eve. Sucks ass. Got paid dick back then but that vacation was amazing. It was also good because everybody was on vacation so no work got done, like you didn't come back to being swamped or missng something (or the phenomenon when someone asks you to work on something and you say you're on vacation next week but will get to it, and then your first day back they're asking for a status update... and you're like "Status Update: Get fucked asshole").

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not exactly a workaholic, as I always try to get out of the office on time. And I love holidays, I really do. A few days off work or maybe a week at most? Hell yes, I'll spend them to play video games, bring my family out of home, or visit my relatives. However, if it's anything longer than that, it'd be too long for me and I really can't take it. Work has become a habit and I always miss it if I have a leave that long. Yes, I could have a vacation somewhere, but if it's a long holiday, it'll be full of people everywhere and I hate it. It's because everyone has the same thinking, it's a long holiday and it's the time for a vacation. I usually have a vacation outside of national holidays, so I can enjoy the places to the fullest.

It's still Dec 27th, and my work starts on Jan 2nd which is still almost a week away. I'm going crazy here.

How about you, Era?
Get a hobby. What's wrong with you, op? I'd fucking KILL to be off till the 2nd.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I realize this is maybe harder as you get older, but the "Get hobbies" thing refers to active hobbies, not sitting on the couch hobbies.

Astronomy club, draw, golf, nature walk, book club. Hobbies where you start "projects" and thus more off time for work results in "Awesome, time to work on stuff" and not "When do I go back to work?"

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It is not so much "please can I go back to work" as it is "get me away from all this family now please".

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but only this year because:
a) I love my job
b) I had an accident this year and spent most of the summer working from home

Really appreciated the routine after a long stretch of not being able to go too far.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Fuck work.

My only problem is that long vacations means extra work when I go back, so I kind of dread that.

But seriously, fuck work.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
This is the first year I've been forced into taking annual leave until the new year. I'm a fan of long holidays but I'd rather just have the bank holidays off at xmas and work the other days, then use my A/L at a time that suits me more.

Still, better than that than having a job that requires xmas day working or not having a decent amount of A/L.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
If I never had to work a day in my life again I'd be a happy camper. I have no idea how people could ever get bored, especially in this day and age.