• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Yep. Just a totally unconscious thing, but certain situations where I see blood can cause my blood pressure to drop. Never happened while playing a video game, of course. Just one of those weird things.

Same. I would say at least 90% of violence in any entertainment medium doesn't bother me at all but real life violence has a very different impact on me.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
There are a few situation with human guts plopping out that make me a bit uncomfortable in games, but normally with stuff like Doom, Gears of War and Mortal Kombat I never mind the gore. I do not really watch gorey films but I doubt it would bother me that much.

Now in real life? If I see even the smallest amount of blood I feel like I am about to pass out.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Yes it is. Because your brain, even when willing suspension of disbelief, still know this is fiction.
And this is also the reason why playing violent video games doesn't make you violent.

I played a lot of violent VG in my life, even when I was young. The first time I witness violent behavior in front of me, I was in state of shock.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Yes it is. Because your brain, even when willing suspension of disbelief, still know this is fiction.
And this is also the reason why playing violent video games doesn't make you violent.

I played a lot of violent VG in my life, even when I was young. The first time I witness violent behavior in front of me, I was in state of shock.

Exactly.

I don't lose my mind or my cool at seeing blood or injury but it certainly disturbs any pleasant mood I may have, at least momentarily. That's human.

Also human is being able to tell that VG violence isn't real. I never equate even human like enemies as being human. In my mind they are "targets". Which is fine because its a video game. The blood is fake, looks fake and doesn't effect me.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I can't even look at my own wrists without feeling nauseous and squeamish. I dislike even talking about blood or the functions of the body. I am certain that at some point in my life I will faint while giving blood.

I feel no such response in video games. I do with live-action movies, however. I am a big eye-coverer.
Usually game violence is stylized enough to not trigger any sort of uncanny approximation of realism in my brain so it doesn't affect me. I think Last of Us II might.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
In game violence is fine since it's fake

Real life violence sure is brutal

But drawing blood from a hospital is okay for me

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, I can watch all the Mortal Kombat fatalities but I'm pretty squeamish in general. I could never be a doctor.

Deleted member 32679

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Even in the latest MK it's starting to get at me in some of the gorier fatalities with skinning or bone crunching head splits.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
A) If there's blood, it usually means something's bad. How bad, that would vary. But you have generations upon generations of selection that taught you on instinctual level, that it's not a good sign and you probably should be worried

B) You also have lifetime of experience being surrounded by media and constant practice for your brain to rationalize and comparmentalize fiction from reality, desensitivising you to fake violence on the screen.

That's basically it.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Blood that I've had to deal with hasn't really bothered me, but I might feel differently if I had to deal with something like this:

news_img_76992_0.jpg

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
over the top violence in movies does nothing for me, however, realistic ass, more medical oriented depictions of blood and innards like operations in tv and such do get me squeasy.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the game. I can't play Trauma Center at all without feeling kinda nauseated. I also don't like games that are too violent, Mortal Kombat is disgusting, for example.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not afraid of blood or anything, but I do not care to see real life injuries or stuff like that. Games and films? No problem, I love Final Destination or other brutal series. But if you tried to make me watch that MTV show Scarred, I couldn't do it. It's too much.

Oct 27, 2017
OKC
I can watch crazy violent and gory movies/play extremely violent games and it doesn't really affect me at all, but one time I cut my foot and immediately fainted when I looked at it so lol

Deleted member 56773

Banned
May 16, 2019
If you're talking about the amount of blood in games and seeing that in reality, yea, I would be seriously concerned about someone's mental health if they were not disturbed by a similar amount of blood that you see in....any game.

If you mean just like literally the sight of blood, yea that doesn't bother me at all.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I mean, one would reasonably think that that's the normal response. You should be able to discern the difference between fictional violence and real life.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Yup, that's exactly me.

I actually love some gore in anything related to fiction, but i can't handle any type of violence/graphic content IRL, it fucks me up pretty badly.

And yes, even just seeing blood.

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes which is why I am lost on people who act like wanting to see video game violence makes you a sick person.

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
Me. I still have no idea how that works. That being said, the last of us 2 gameplay phased me a bit. I guess my brain is just able to seperate realistic blood and gore from more cartoony or non real.

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
I hate blood in real life and I don't even touch games with blood. I don't understand why gamers are so into blood. It's madness to me.

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
For me it's realistic violence/gore vs. exaggerated violence/gore. I laugh with glee at the ridiculous violence against demons in DOOM, but I cringe when I see Natalie Portman pull on a hangnail in Black Swan.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not scared of blood IRL from it being gore or anything of that sort.

My concern with IRL blood is it being a disease vector. I don't have to worry about contracting anything in a game from being exposed to spilled blood. Well, unless a game really goes that heavy into simulation.

Honestly you never know what kind of shit a John Doe had in him so it pays to be paranoid about their bodily fluids.

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have been gaming since the early-mid 80s. I think liking video game gore means a person is a bit disturbed.
Well I don't, the main reason is that no matter how many game people I kill no one actually dies in real life. I was aware of this even as a kid. I've been gaming since the early 90s

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
lol, I once got nauseated from seeing my BLOOD CELLS under a microscope. But yeah, video game blood is fine.

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
Well I don't, the main reason is that no matter how many game people I kill no one actually dies in real life. I was aware of this even as a kid. I've been gaming since the early 90s

It's not the killing that bothers me - as long as it's bad guys. It's having joy from seeing innocent characters get killed or lots of gore.

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely. I'm fine with violence/most gore in fictional entertainment but I absolutely don't like it when I know it's real. I can't stomach MMA for instance.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Yes. I get nervous or angst-ridden by real life violence. In media, hardly ever.

catvonpee

Oct 29, 2017
Me.

Gore in games is like one of my most sought after features in games. The gorier the better. But when the massacre at the synagogue in Pittsburgh happened, I cried and sobbed for like 4 days. I balled my eyes out when they read the names of all the people killed.

I actually felt physically I'll after I heard about the mosque shooting in New Zealand.

There's no real correlation between real world violence and violence in games as far as I am concerned.

Edit: also I have seen 2 real-life dead bodies in person and the expression on their faces still haunt me. One was my neighbor who died of old age and the other was a co-worker who died of the flu. :/

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's not the killing that bothers me - as long as it's bad guys. It's having joy from seeing innocent characters get killed or lots of gore.
Ehh, I kind of felt that way playing GTA V first person and went on a spree but after a while I got over it because my problem was how realistic the atmosphere was for a mass shooting, not that I was killing virtual characters. And the only time I felt bad about game gore was MK9 noob saibot fatality. Games are too cartoony and fake to get that kind of reaction from me, even realistic games. On top of the fact that I have a hard time getting into fictional media, I never cry during movies, even as a kid no movie scared me, and I don't get emotionally attached to fictional characters so seeing something I know is fake really doesn't do much for me.

The fact that you see a difference between "innocent" npc's and "bad guys" shows that we just interact with media differently .

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
Mortal Kombat and other gory games I can't really stomach at all, just like real life

Deleted member 16136

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can blow peoples heads off, slit their throats, completely explode them into gibs, watch their eyes get popped out in games.

Cant look when I'm having blood taken from my arm.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Blood and gore doesn't disturb me in the slightest in games and movies. It's not real. Of course it's different seeing it in real life.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
i'm not bothered by blood in general, but extremely gruesome thing in real life can make me uncomfortable, and i hate violence when it's real.... while in gaming it doesn't phaze me at all, regardless of the gore

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
I'm completely unfazed by violence and gore in not only video games but also movies/tv-series... but I can't watch actual medical footage involving operations and more serious injuries.

The sight of blood in general doesn't really bother me however.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
Blood doesn't have an effect on me, but real life violence does. I can hardly stomach watching any number of the police shooting video that are out there, even though they rarely have blood in them, yet I can easily watch gruesome fatalities in the MK games.

Cynn

Oct 27, 2017
Having different reactions to pretend and real things is healthy and normal.

laser

Feb 17, 2018
The blood and gore shown in games and film are highly stylized. If it was shown realistically, a lot of people would lose their lunches.

SEKusanagi

Oct 27, 2017
Raleigh, North Carolina
It's really inconsistent for me when it comes to media. I'm generally unfazed if it's something over the top or fantastical, but every once in a while I'll tense up if it's on the realistic side.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Yup. Passed out over a dozen times in real life. Bring on the horror games.

Can't watch movies like that though.

The only thing gaming I don't like or I do react to, is if it's real life-like voice over or audio tales describing things like torture or surgery.