• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RichardHawk

Feb 7, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
I doubt most people would because, who gives a shit about animals. My 4-year vegan anniversary is this year though! Also, you people that are vegetarian make me laugh. Fence riders.

RichardHawk

Feb 7, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
Terrible idea. You need meat to be healthy and strong. I tried it for a while and my performance at the gym (strength training and boxing) tanked. No energy or stamina. My personal trainer was not happy about cutting meat out. Back eating chicken and steak again now and am fitter, healthier and stronger.
I bet I can bench / deadlift and squat more than you.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I doubt most people would because, who gives a shit about animals. My 4-year vegan anniversary is this year though! Also, you people that are vegetarian make me laugh. Fence riders.
Why are you so hostile to people who are on your side?

I eat plant based 90% of the time, but I'm not going to force my parents to go to restaurants that specifically have vegan food, so whenever I'm out with them or over their house, I'll eat vegetarian

But the way you talk, I might as well just eat meat because why bother if I'm not going 100% vegan.

(I'm not going to start eating meat because of a dumb forum post, nobody worry lol)

RichardHawk

Feb 7, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
Why are you so hostile to people who are on your side?

I eat plant based 90% of the time, but I'm not going to force my parents to go to restaurants that specifically have vegan food, so whenever I'm out with them or over their house, I'll eat vegetarian

But the way you talk, I might as well just eat meat because why bother if I'm not going 100% vegan.

(I'm not going to start eating meat because of a dumb forum post, nobody worry lol)
My issue is that vegetarians are well aware that animals are treated like shit but simply say 'yeah but cheese though'. It's bullshit. I rather someone tell me to fuck off because they like eating steak rather than pretend to give a shit and still be involved in the exploitation of animals. Vegetarians aren't 'on my side'. They accept the torture animals go through for completely selfish reasons like wanting a glass of milk.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can't do no meat. Sorry.

I do stick to leaner meats though like chicken, fish, and turkey, but I doubt that's really helps the vegan cause.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
For those of us considering diet on an environmental level - I have no interest in the health effects - this is a useful figure about changing your diet:

foodprint5.gif

Basically, you achieve almost the entire emissions benefit of going vegetarian or vegan by simply eliminating beef (mainly because eliminating all meats and/or meat/dairy requires you to grow other areas of your diet, so it's diminishing returns. Currently I've eliminated beef and we've reduced meat all meat intake, so I'm somewhere between the third and fourth column.
That's where I am.

Mostly eliminated beef from my diet (except for BBQs with friends or buguers and thats probably 2-3 times per month).

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
My issue is that vegetarians are well aware that animals are treated like shit but simply say 'yeah but cheese though'. It's bullshit. I rather someone tell me to fuck off because they like eating steak rather than pretend to give a shit and still be involved in the exploitation of animals. Vegetarians aren't 'on my side'. They accept the torture animals go through for completely selfish reasons like wanting a glass of milk.
How do you hope to convince anyone to follow your beliefs acting like this?

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
For those of us considering diet on an environmental level - I have no interest in the health effects - this is a useful figure about changing your diet:

foodprint5.gif

Basically, you achieve almost the entire emissions benefit of going vegetarian or vegan by simply eliminating beef (mainly because eliminating all meats and/or meat/dairy requires you to grow other areas of your diet, so it's diminishing returns. Currently I've eliminated beef and we've reduced meat all meat intake, so I'm somewhere between the third and fourth column.

This chart - and similar ones - have really helped me. I won't be going plant-based, but I've significantly cut back on beef. The rise of alternatives like the Beyond Burger are very exciting,

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Does the superiority complex come with the diet?

EDIT: I was raised vegetarian at a time when even that was considered a pretty extreme lifestyle choice in the UK, and I stayed that way until I was 18. Since then I've been back and forth a few times on eating meat, and I dated a vegan (and hence tried being vegan myself) for a few years as well. Today I eat meat, fish and dairy and I intend to keep doing so. At least part of the reason was because shopping in health food stores and going to vegan restaurants I found myself surrounded by insufferable people like you.

RichardHawk

Feb 7, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
How do you hope to convince anyone to follow your beliefs acting like this?
I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything.
Does the superiority complex come with the diet?

EDIT: I was raised vegetarian at a time when even that was considered a pretty extreme lifestyle choice in the UK, and I stayed that way until I was 18. Since then I've been back and forth a few times on eating meat, and I dated a vegan (and hence tried being vegan myself) for a few years as well. Today I eat meat, fish and dairy and I intend to keep doing so. At least part of the reason was because of insufferable people like you.
"I'm involved in the murder of animals because of rude people".

Whatever you gotta tell yourself buddy. You're awesome.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019

Nah, I'm involved in the murder of animals primarily because I like meat and cheese more than I care about animal wellfare. I've run that value equation a few times, and I'm happy with my choice. But I can honestly say I gave the other way a shot (for more than half my life, given I'm 37). I'm sure a not-insignificant amount of people won't ever get that far if their exposure to veganism is the kind of self-congratulatory nonsense you're peddling.

Tell you what, think of it this way: more animals might die, as a net value, because you were so obnoxious about being vegan that two or more people who were considering trying it decided not to. So in that sense the world would have been better off if you'd just eaten meat. Maybe try being nicer and more modest about all this.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. I've reduced almost all red meat and pork though. I just like chicken and turkey too much.

Edit: I also really like eggs.

Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
Lots of places here in the UK doing new vegan menu stuff this month.

McDonalds are doing Veggie Dippers.

KFC are doing a Vegan Burger.

Pizza Hut are doing a Vegan Pepperoni Pizza

Costa are doing a Vegan Ham and Cheese Toastie

I only knew about the KFC vegan burger, these look really good!

Me and my vegan mate will definitely try out Pizza Huts vegan pepperoni pizza when we can, I've missed that so much! (also, Dominos now seriously needs to step their game up)

Oct 28, 2017
I can't do no meat. Sorry.

I do stick to leaner meats though like chicken, fish, and turkey, but I doubt that's really helps the vegan cause.
That's much worse because more animals are killed for the same number of calories. The slight decrease in environmental impact won't save anywhere near the number of animals you will directly be responsible for killing. Please consider giving up chicken as a first step

Oct 28, 2017
Cutting out meat messes with me too much. I'm back on keto starting today and already feel more adjusted. Not sure if it's a hormonal thing or my bipolar type 2 but I always get depressed and pudgy when I cut out meat.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
He's not doing it right. To go vegan you need to really study and understand nutrition in a considered way - it actually forces you to learn about food and how to keep your body going. If you don't, you'll harm yourself and be less healthy.

Your brother will not be eating the right things, as such he'll be low on key nutrients (usual suspects are vitamin B12, iron, zinc, protein). These things can be harder to attain on vegan diet (but far from impossible) but are loaded by default on an omni diet.

You need to tell him to see a nutritionist. He might be doing long term damage.

(I'm not a vegan, fyi. But was for a while and have many friends that did it - some with ease and some with difficulty like your bro. It is 100% a good and healthy thing to do.)
You'd trust the average person to do any of this?

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
Nah, I'm involved in the murder of animals primarily because I like meat and cheese more than I care about animal wellfare. I've run that value equation a few times, and I'm happy with my choice. But I can honestly say I gave the other way a shot (for more than half my life, given I'm 37). I'm sure a not-insignificant amount of people won't ever get that far if their exposure to veganism is the kind of self-congratulatory nonsense you're peddling.

Tell you what, think of it this way: more animals might die, as a net value, because you were so obnoxious about being vegan that two or more people who were considering trying it decided not to. So in that sense the world would have been better off if you'd just eaten meat. Maybe try being nicer and more modest about all this.

Side question, I don't care about anything you two were talking about other than you were raised vegetarian. Out of curiosity, what made you change? Were your parents militant and it turned you off of it, or were there other influences that changed you?

I only ask for my own future kids, since they will likely be raised however I eat.

Oct 28, 2017
i guess i can cut some meat and stick with chiken. also how the fuck vegans product cost more than meat?
Please don't, the idea is to reduce suffering and if you replace larger animals with chickens then more will suffer as I stated above. Cutting out chicken is generally the most effective step you can make to adopt a less cruel lifestyle.

Vegetables, grains, pulses etc are vegan products and are cheap enough that most of the world subsists on them. Replacement products like veggie burgers cost more because there is less demand and because governments heavily subsidise animal agriculture at the cost of ethics, the environment and public health.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I should still watch Game Changers. I've been vegetarian for over a year now, but the step to being vegan is a much bigger one. Giving up eggs, for me, would be difficult. Stuff like milk is super easy. Oat milk and almond milk are great. Cheese is a lot harder.

Oct 28, 2017
I should still watch Game Changers. I've been vegetarian for over a year now, but the step to being vegan is a much bigger one. Giving up eggs, for me, would be difficult. Stuff like milk is super easy. Oat milk and almond milk are great. Cheese is a lot harder.
Have you tried doing vegan days or something like Veganuary? There's also Challenge 22 where you can get loads of support and resources. Everything seems hard until you try it (I never ran by choice in my life until this time last year, now I do 50-75km a week no problem, and that's on a protein-deficient vegan diet haha)

Mar 29, 2018
A) who's talking about the average person? I don't expect anything and never brought that up
B) wtf is "the average person"
C) the "average person" knows to eat plenty greens, watch calories and exercise - but they clearly don't. It's not about "trusting" people to do stuff, it's about creating a culture all around us which has a better relationship to food. Our current food culture is pretty fucked

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
A) who's talking about the average person? I don't expect anything and never brought that up
B) wtf is "the average person"
C) the "average person" knows to eat plenty greens, watch calories and exercise - but they clearly don't. It's not about "trusting" people to do stuff, it's about creating a culture all around us which has a better relationship to food. Our current food culture is pretty fucked
The average person is literally failing to feed themselves properly without any limitations, my dude.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017

Just an FYI - when you counsel people about smoking cessation, you congratulate them on any reduction they make, because there is a dose-effect on risk reduction for most smoking related illnesses. Absolute smoking cessation, on a population level, is a very difficult task though and can take a long time with multiple relapses. That largely applies here - people eating less meat, reducing their egg/dairy intake and increasing their vegetable intake would have a dose-dependent effect on the number of animals that are slaughtered or exploited, and those people should be congratulated. Your approach is demonstrated not to work - and as per this thread, sometimes actually does the opposite - and I'd suggest you change it.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Please don't, the idea is to reduce suffering and if you replace larger animals with chickens then more will suffer as I stated above. Cutting out chicken is generally the most effective step you can make to adopt a less cruel lifestyle.

Vegetables, grains, pulses etc are vegan products and are cheap enough that most of the world subsists on them. Replacement products like veggie burgers cost more because there is less demand and because governments heavily subsidise animal agriculture at the cost of ethics, the environment and public health.
I guess it depends on which angle you want to come from for which meat to cut, if your not going to cut all meat

Health wise, cutting pork and beef is the best thing to do. Those meats are terrible for you. Lean meats are totally fine in moderation

Environmental wise, cutting beef is your biggest bang for your buck. Beef is the worst when it comes to the environment because cows are huge and make a ton of waste. Chickens have a much smaller environmental footprint.

Cruelty wise, no animals are treated particularly well, but chickens seem to get the short end of the stick here

I mean, ultimately, if someone has to eat meat, I'd say they should probably go for chicken or fish. Just because the beef industry is awful and cows make a huge environmental impact. And also beef is not really healthy.

Oct 27, 2017
That's much worse because more animals are killed for the same number of calories. The slight decrease in environmental impact won't save anywhere near the number of animals you will directly be responsible for killing. Please consider giving up chicken as a first step
This is such shitty advice. Climate change will kill more animals than eating beef instead of chicken ever will.

Oct 28, 2017
This is such shitty advice. Climate change will kill more animals than eating beef instead of chicken ever will.
And the difference in the environmental impact of eating one cow versus fifty (edit: actually two hundred) chickens is not going to tip the scales. If you are going to replace all beef with plant based alternatives great, you will make a reasonable improvement to your environmental footprint and save less than one cow a year. Meanwhile, you are often killing half to a whole bird every time you eat a meal of chicken.

If plant based diets had the same environmental impact as standard diets there would still be an ethical imperative to go vegan.

Here is a great explanation of this concept with references.

Last edited:

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
I'm not going vegan, but for environmental reasons, I plan to continue modifying my eating habits through 2020. This primarily means my family of four will:

• Not waste food
  • Primarily limit meat to methane-free and efficiently raised chicken, turkey, and fish
  • Entirely cut almonds and avocado (vegans have nothing to brag about if almond milk and guac is a dietary staple)

Wow. A condescending vegan.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything.

No, most vegans I've met are condescending assholes and I'd rather not be lumped in with them. I eat meat twice a week, ain't stopping now.
these posts back to back made me chuckle.

this shit ain't that hard.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
nope. i don't eat a ton of meat and try to stick to 1 meal a day with limited snacking so i figure less food is a long way there. my big goal is trying to get close to 0% food waste, don't buy stuff i won't eat/use and don't let food sit there and get thrown out.

i've tried the plant based stuff - beyond, impossible and all the knock offs - and its still not really close.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
Nah, I'm involved in the murder of animals primarily because I like meat and cheese more than I care about animal wellfare. I've run that value equation a few times, and I'm happy with my choice.

This is exactly where I'm at. I weigh a millennia of husbandry against primarily privileged Westerners getting all emotional over "murder" if I don't go 100% vegan.

Oct 27, 2017
And the difference in the environmental impact of eating one cow versus fifty (edit: actually two hundred) chickens is not going to tip the scales. If you are going to replace all beef with plant based alternatives great, you will make a reasonable improvement to your environmental footprint and save less than one cow a year. Meanwhile, you are often killing half to a whole bird every time you eat a meal of chicken.

If plant based diets had the same environmental impact as standard diets there would still be an ethical imperative to go vegan.

Here is a great explanation of this concept with references.
If one person can't make a difference, why go vegan at all? Either individual actions matter, or they don't. You're trying to argue both.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't share the same ethical reasons as to why I'm switching. Personally I'm more interested in how I feel physically and mentally. And financially. Lol. Don't know if I've reached the point in cutting out seafood just yet but I can't remember the last time I went a day without poultry, pork or beef in some way. One step at a time I guess.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Side question, I don't care about anything you two were talking about other than you were raised vegetarian. Out of curiosity, what made you change? Were your parents militant and it turned you off of it, or were there other influences that changed you?

I only ask for my own future kids, since they will likely be raised however I eat.
It was the feeling of being railroaded into an ethical choice, and also the pressure of being "different" in a way I couldn't personally justify as a child. I'll explain both of those things in a bit more detail, in order.

I suspect that if my parents - both vegetarians since the 1970s - had been a bit less forceful in their beliefs, I might have turned out vegetarian in the long run. But from being about ten years old, I struggled with being told that I couldn't have things because my parents had decided they were wrong - especially because they were otherwise extremely progressive, permissive parents when it later came to things like drugs, sex, and alcohol. I couldn't see why I was allowed to do all these other things that my friends weren't, but I couldn't eat a burger.

Needless to say, when I moved out and went to university, I went straight into eating meat.

The second component is probably much less of an issue today, but you have to remember I turned ten in early 90s, and, at least in the UK, things like Quorn were only stocked in specialist health food shops. As a consequence, none of my friends' parents understood what I could and couldn't eat, and my schools didn't cater for the diet that had been chosen for me, so I had to take packed lunches every day when my friends ate in the cafeteria. And I had to take my own meals to barbecues and parties.

There's nothing quite like purposefully making your child feel different, at a difficult age, to make them resent you.

Like I said, the second of those two elements is probably not a problem today; everyone knows a vegetarian or a vegan, and restaurants, schools, and other parents are hyper-aware of different diets. But back then I felt excluded, and weird, and different - all because of a choice I wasn't allowed to make for myself.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
It was the feeling of being railroaded into an ethical choice, and also the pressure of being "different" in a way I couldn't personally justify as a child. I'll explain both of those things in a bit more detail, in order.

I suspect that if my parents - both vegetarians since the 1970s - had been a bit less forceful in their beliefs, I might have turned out vegetarian in the long run. But from being about ten years old, I struggled with being told that I couldn't have things because my parents had decided they were wrong - especially because they were otherwise extremely progressive, permissive parents when it later came to things like drugs, sex, and alcohol. I couldn't see why I was allowed to do all these other things that my friends weren't, but I couldn't eat a burger.

Needless to say, when I moved out and went to university, I went straight into eating meat.

The second component is probably much less of an issue today, but you have to remember I turned ten in early 90s, and, at least in the UK, things like Quorn were only stocked in specialist health food shops. As a conservative, none of my friends' parents understood what I could and couldn't eat, and my schools didn't cater for the diet that had been chosen for me, so I had to take packed lunches every day when my friends ate in the cafeteria. And I had to take my own meals to barbecues and parties.

There's nothing quite like purposefully making your child feel different, at a difficult age, to make them resent you.

Like I said, the second of those two elements is probably not a problem today; everyone knows a vegetarian or a vegan, and restaurants, schools, and other parents are hyper-aware of different diets. But back then I felt excluded, and weird, and different - all because of a choice I wasn't allowed to make for myself.

Hope that helps.
gotcha gotcha, helps a lot

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019

I forgot to say: my parents (my mum mostly, but my dad had a role) also held some other beliefs that they forced on me and that had far more negative consequences than the vegetarianism. They didn't exactly help me trust that they knew what they were talking about as I got older, though.

My mum didn't get me properly vaccinated, and routinely refused to take me to the doctor. Both of those things have had lasting effects on my health as an adult.

That's not meant as a sob story. I'm just pointing out that I might be an edge case for this kind of parental decision making.

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As long as I work in fast food and get free meals I don't think it'll be possible for me 😂

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
No, but I am trying to increase the frequency that we have meatless (or near vegetarian) meals, mostly for environmental reasons. Lots of vegetarian soups and such. Instant pot helps.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
I forgot to say: my parents (my mum mostly, but my dad had a role) also held some other beliefs that they forced on me and that had far more negative consequences than the vegetarianism. They didn't exactly help me trust that they knew what they were talking about as I got older, though.

My mum didn't get me properly vaccinated, and routinely refused to take me to the doctor. Both of those things have had lasting effects on my health as an adult.

That's not meant as a sob story. I'm just pointing out that I might be an edge case for this kind of parental decision making.
I can assure you that both those aspects will be happening when I have kids, f antivaxxing

J2d

Oct 26, 2017
I agree somewhat, being vegetarian is still a lot better than eating meat.