• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's more common with anime because viewers hear the Japanese title of the show being screamed multiple times, either in the show itself or in trailers and other media.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
One obvious example here would be El Laberinto del Fauno vs. Pan's Labyrinth, as the faun in the movie has absolutely nothing to do with the mythical character of Pan.

Fuck I came in here to shit on the baka gaijin but then I realized I've done this with Pan's Labyrinth for this reason.

Stoof

Oct 25, 2017
If I'm introduced to a series before it's officially licensed or whatever and the Japanese title is easy to remember I sometimes get stuck calling it that, though I'd never weeb out and say that's the only way to say it.

Nov 18, 2017
Only if i think theyre doing it pretentiously, if thats genuinely what they know it as (for example importers) then fair enough to them.

I will always call JoJo Part 5 Vento Auereo because thats what i read it as long before the anime was even announced.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I think your making this out to be that I'm worrying about this all the time.

Also sorry for talking about this from an English perspective on a English forum about English translations. Not like I'm telling other language communities what to do.

Yes, and thankfully on this forum, there are only english native speaking people...

I mean, people will use what they feel comfortable with, and i really don't see any issue here. Also, some people start reading the manga, before it was released in the west, so of course they are used to the japanese name, for example Shingeki no Kyojin. I can adjust to the person i'm talking to, and use rather Attack on Titans, but cause my brain first got used to Shingeki no Kyojin, Attack on Titans just sounds wrong.

I don't know, maybe i don't have an issue with that, cause i'm from europe, and we use many words from other languages and not translating it, cause the sound would be just different. For example "la dolce vita", so many older german people i know always use this, rather then "Das süße Leben", it has the same meaning, but it sounds different when you say it in italian then in german. Some of my friends use Salut, some Salve, others Servus, and others Moin, i love "Griaß di", but nobody use it here in Frankfurt, and all means the same, just a "Hello", but people prefer different words, and should be allowed to use it.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
It's entirely situational. Name changes for instance, you won't catch me using them. Reading off the Japanese name of a series when an English one already exists isn't likely for me. It depends though...

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only if i think theyre doing it pretentiously, if thats genuinely what they know it as (for example importers) then fair enough to them.

I will always call JoJo Part 5 Vento Auereo because thats what i read it as long before the anime was even announced.

Honestly, in fairness, that was another situation where the official title changed after awhile, like I mentioned prior. Though at least in this case, most people did use that, where most people didn't use... "Diamond is Not Crash".

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah when people type Kururin instead of Krillin, it makes them look absolutely fucking ridiculous.

Kuririn is used in the VIZ english translation of the Manga. It is 100% valid. As are many other DB names that differ from how Funimation often times (incorrectly) translated them. All official subtitles in the DVD and Blu Ray home releases of DB and DBZ also use the accurate translations as well. This isn't a "weeb" thing at all and many people used these names for DB exclusively long before the Funimation dub was ever a thing. If anything its the dub fans who use cringe like " Destructo Disk" that look ridiculous.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, and thankfully on this forum, there are only english native speaking people...

Obviously not but a person who doesn't speak English wouldn't join an English forum and then complain that people aren't speaking their native language.

Honestly, in fairness, that was another situation where the official title changed after awhile, like I mentioned prior. Though at least in this case, most people did use that, where most people didn't use... "Diamond is Not Crash".

I honestly had no idea that "Diamond is Not Crash" was a thing until this thread.

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Diamond is not crash, fitting for such a beautiful Duwang lol

God, it's kinda insane that happened to be the one with the really awkward fan translation, given the title. What's hilarious is despite everything, the translation was actually fairly accurate, just poorly written for the most part. Part 5, for fan translations, despite being well edited, was practically made up a lot of times, so it had the exact opposite issue. This has been since been replaced, to my knowledge, and there's official localizations coming out in the near foreseeable future, thankfully on top of that.

Really glad the localization situation with JoJo officially is a lot better than it was years ago. My god. I guess with the anime adaptations happening, really helped give the manga a chance now. Previous attempts were unfortunately meant with mixed results, due to fans not really supporting it back then.

I honestly had no idea that "Diamond is Not Crash" was a thing until this thread.

Hahaha. I guess it shows how much the fandom avoided using it. Probably for the better. But yeah, I remember learning that quite a number years back (back when the Anime just started adapting Parts 1 and 2) and was like "..huh?".

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I like to respect the various languages and cultures of the world, so i'll always try to use the original name of the work (whether its a book, play, etc).

Do people have a problem with something mainstream like Les Misèrables for example?

With something like Les Misèrables, while there was some early translated titles, it's generally been just referred to by the original name. If someone goes and buys the original book or watches the movie or see the play, they see, Les Misèrables. The wider community has accepted that as it's title and so that's that.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
Thinking using the actual title is "pretentious" is pretty ridiculous and shows how self-centered people are in the West.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017

8c4.png

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Obviously not but a person who doesn't speak English wouldn't join an English forum and then complain that people aren't speaking their native language.

It's not about that, never was about that, but many people are from different countries, never maybe even used for example Attack On Titans, because it's called different at their home. I'm from Germany, and i can speak english, but do you really think, it's called Attack on Titans here? So, for me it's easier to use a different name.

Or what do you guys expect, just because we all talk english here, it's a must to use the english names for things, although you know what people mean, when they say Shingeki no Kyojin (as example)? Why?

Solaire

Oct 29, 2017
I find the American title Blue is the Warmest Colour for the French film La vie d'Adéleto be jarring, just as
much as I find localized titles for American movies (which thankfully we don't do anymore) as whack. I guess it depends on the title.
La vie d'Adèle is about the most uninspired title they could have picked. Just super lame.

The english title is much better and almost a direct translation of the original graphic novel "Le bleu est une couleur chaude". It's a great title, why change it.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
It's not about that, never was about that, but many people are from different countries, never maybe even used for example Attack On Titans, because it's called different at their home. I'm from Germany, and i can speak english, but do you really think, it's called Attack on Titans here? So, for me it's easier to use a different name.

Again. When did I say that other speaking communites need to use English translations for stuff? I feel like your being willfully obtuse as to make me be this bad person.

Or what do you guys expect, just because we all talk english here, it's a must to use the english names for things, although you know what people mean, when they say Shingeki no Kyojin (as example)? Why?

But that's under the assumption that everyone does. Not everyone is aware of every single translation. Again, this is from an english-focused perspective. So in cases such as what I'm talking about, people are more likely to know the english translation before they know the original title. So yes, it can be confusing.

But again, before you continue to try and accuse me of policing what other languages use. I'm not telling the German, Spanish, French, and other language communities to use English translations. But if you're taking part in the English community it couldn't hurt to use those translation as to keep everyone on the same page. Just as if I did take part in a German talk about One Piece it probably would be good use to Ruffy instead of Luffy since it's the official translation there.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if I started reading something that was known by its Japanese title for years and it suddenly gets an official English title...it's gonna take a while if ever that I start calling it something else. Attack on Titan took ages before I stopped thinking of it as SnK and it's talked about all the time. Plenty of lesser-known series I'll hear their english title, go 'huh' then forget what it even was until someone reminds me. I'm not trying to be pretentious I'm just old and set in my ways.

If an english speaker is calling Jojo by its full Japanese title they're just being a twat though.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
It's fine depending on who, why, and where they are saying it. Some guy a while ago called My Hero Academia by its Japanese name in the class we were all in and that right there is some dumb ass weeb shit.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Can you post some examples so I can check them, please?

Some older examples:

Black Lagoon
Cowboy Bebop
Fullmetal Alchemist (Original and Brotherhood)
Yu Yu Hakusho
Samurai Champloo
Code Geass

More recent examples:

My Hero Academia
JoJo Bizzare Adventure
Carole & Tuesday (I haven't personally watched but I heard good things)
Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?
Darling in the Franxxx
Dragon Ball Super
Star Blazers 2199 and 2202

I mean this shit is all preference.

Edit: On an aside I'm still so so sad about Crunchyroll and Funimation breaking up their deal. Sure Funi made a deal with Hulu but soooooo much of their shows are missing on Hulu.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Nope doesn't bother me at all, in fact I'm one of those people you dislike. Though I'm known to switch between the two depending on if the show's translated name is trash and which I like better.

Example I am not calling KonaSuba, God's Blessing on this Wonderful World! I am not going to call Precure, Glitter Force. I am not going to call Machikado Mazoku, The Demon Girl Next Door. I'm calling it DanMachi not Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?

Whereas I call have no issue calling Enen no Shouboutai, Fire Force or Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari, Shield Hero.

McPaul

Banned
May 6, 2019
Some older examples:

Black Lagoon
Cowboy Bebop
Fullmetal Alchemist (Original and Brotherhood)
Yu Yu Hakusho
Samurai Champloo
Code Geass

More recent examples:

My Hero Academia
JoJo Bizzare Adventure

Carole & Tuesday (I haven't personally watched but I heard good things)
Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?
Darling in the Franxxx
Dragon Ball Super

I mean this shit is all preference.
I agree with the following, even though, imo, are not as good as the original, but still good.I don't agree with the rest or I haven't seen them.

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
Depends on what I first knew the name as and if it's not a really long title. For example: I'm not going to call Erased by it's Japanese name, but I don't mind saying something like Kimi ni Todoke.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Nope doesn't bother me at all, in fact I'm one of those people you dislike. Though I'm known to switch between the two depending on if the show's translated name is trash and which I like better.

Example I am not calling KonaSuba, God's Blessing on this Wonderful World! I am not going to call Precure, Glitter Force. I am not going to call Machikado Mazoku, The Demon Girl Next Door. I'm calling it DanMachi not Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?

Whereas I call have no issue calling Enen no Shouboutai, Fire Force or Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari, Shield Hero.

But no one calls KonoSuba, God's Blessing on this Wonderful World!, because when they brought it over they still called it KonoSuba. I feel like "counter examples" like that don't actually exist in reality.

Also I agree that DanMachi is better because the full title is too long. (Although DanMachi itself is still shortening the super long original title)

Edit: I guess I thought I did but yeah, cases where the untranslated title is what is used overseas are exceptions. As in that case they have made the deliberate choice of not translating it.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Man, this thread reminded me of something.
You know that joke in Spongebob, where you got a bunch of characters yelling "GHOSTS!", except for one, who holds up some toast and says "Toast."?

In the German version, he says "Weissbrot". Why did he do that? The word toast exists in German. I'm so confused. I mean, either way, it doesn't rhyme with "Geister". Translations are weird.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with the following, even though, imo, are not as good as the original, but still good.I don't agree with the rest or I haven't seen them.

Ultimately it's just preference. Some like subs more and some like dubs more. I know lately I've been watching dubs more because it's much easier to multitask with a dub then watching a subbed show.

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
I just get annoyed when I hear "SNK" cause then I'm like "ya'll like Metal Slug" and they're like "what the fuck is that?"

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I do this with some games, in particular ones I've played and known the Japanese versions first. Notably, Rhythm Tengoku. (Which is also exacerbated because it's called Rhythm Heaven in NA and Rhythm Paradise in EU, so it's even less likely I call it by its US name.)

I also might accidentally do it with titles that I've just heard the Japanese name first, and it stuck, like Judge Eyes instead of Judgement, or even WarioWare's "Made in Ore" instead of "DIY" (which honestly I don't know why I remember that one).

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Name can be different across regions, the Japanese name can be a common denominator.

For exemple, it's basically impossible for me to talk about Pokemon here because I don't know their names in English. With Anime, since when you watch it with sub you end up knowning the original name you can use that.

Jul 24, 2018
La vie d'Adèle is about the most uninspired title they could have picked. Just super lame.

The english title is much better and almost a direct translation of the original graphic novel "Le bleu est une couleur chaude". It's a great title, why change it.
Interesting, didn't know that! But yeah, like I said I'm generally only miffed about localized titles that misses the point of the original source material.

Deleted member 9479

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Most of the time, yeah.

The only time I've held to a Japanese title was Umi ga Kikoeru (as I understand it, literally "I can hear the sea") which has an official English title of "Ocean Waves".

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
As a spanish speaker, I don't care. I tend to use english, romaji or even spanish titles according to the work and my own preferences.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
His name is Ash. If you're a westerner who calls him Satoshi, stop embarrassing yourself and stay in your fucking lane.