• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
His Punisher / Fury / 2000AD / war stuff is good, you can tell he loved the little Commando comics. I liked Preacher at the time, but as with most of his work it could have been a good 1/3 shorter. Never cared for The Boys though.

Oh, and his Hellblazer work is great.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
I have very limited experience of his work, I've read some Preacher and I tried to get into Crossed and The Boys, but the two latter have such a shitty tone that I can't get into it at all. Feels like someone trying way too fucking hard to be extreme, playing off death and rape and shit as punchlines and it just ends up feeling heartless instead. I've been meaning to watch The Boys series because I've heard people here saying that they've toned down or adjusted some of the worst stuff, but I'm still hesitant.

BigTastyBoi

Jul 23, 2018
Only thing I've ever read of his is Hellblazer so I hold him in some regard, Dangerous Habits is a pretty damn good arc.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
originals-mccrea-hitman-02.jpg

Gets a pass from me

L4DANathan

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Fairfax, VA, USA
He's good at using the edginess to cover darker topics, but he has an insistence on covering those darker topics even in places where it doesn't make any goddamn sense.

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
Overall, I'm not a fan of his. I liked Preacher and his Punisher stuff (no idea how well it would hold up on a reread), but then there's irredeemable dogshit like Crossed where he just opens the floodgates of his own bile and misery.

If he could rein in his own worst instincts as a writer, I'd probably be a genuine fan.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
not a fan, but i don't dislike him. He does have his moments, but too often he comes across as a self aware Mark Millar
Haha. Harsh.

His strongest quality is character work, but he can't help but to always insert some juvenile crap in, it can get a tad jarring. Also Ireland.

But when he shines, he shines - like in the Hitman issue featuring Supes (the only super hero he does not hate).

pewpewtora

Nov 23, 2017
Connecticut
Some of his writing just seems so mean-spirited that it turns me off, like The Boys, for example. It comes off like he hates the comics medium and just wants to shit all over it.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Looking through his work, I've only read a fraction of it. I liked Preacher at the time, and it's contributed some great memes through the years. I also liked Jennifer Blood, which is along the lines of ultra violent edgelord stuff, but didn't care for the "Ninjettes" characters.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
He made comics i enjoyed he made comics that i don't care for

I liked tv Boys way more than the comic but i love Punisher Max and his Hellblazer is great

Though he does get excessive in a way i hate like crossed and comic Boys

I'll doubt we will see the Boys' equivalent of the Teen Titans and Metamorpho in the live-action adaptation.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
His Punisher MAX run is probably my fave comic run tbh. Preacher was pretty okay too, but I hated The Boys and I haven't even looked into his real fucked up shit.