• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
Since the Quarantine started, me and my family stocked up on some food. Nothing too fancy, or super meal worthy, just simple meals like Hotdogs, Hamburgers, frozen foods, luncheon meat, canned good etc. So we've been just eating off of that, but my question is, have anybody been ordering food or using food delivery services? Given the climate of the virus being a contact based, is it even safe to do so?

AkumaNiko

Oct 28, 2017
only if you trust the place. Plus covid cant be transmitted via food. Take the food, dump the contents on a safe plate or container, dump the packaging and wash your hands

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
ive eaten pizza and fried chicken
seems fine as long as you clean your hands or hold the packaging with glove and empty it out.

pizza is the safest i assume

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Posted this is another thread that was similar. If you do, and you order delivery, tip the absolute best you can for the driver.

I tipped the lady who delivered our pizza $15. She handed me back the receipt telling me I had made a mistake and somehow I had put a 1 before the 5. I told her there was no mistake and she burst into tears.

Big Boss

Oct 27, 2017
Yea. I've gotten food from a few places. Low key thinking about grabbing some this weekend.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Safe? Not 100%. Take all precautions possible.

Posted this is another thread that was similar. If you do, and you order delivery, tip the absolute best you can for the driver.

I tipped the lady who delivered our pizza $15. She handed me back the receipt telling me I had made a mistake and somehow I had put a 1 before the 5. I told her there was no mistake and she burst into tears.

Be this good person right here.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
It can't be any less safe than going out to a grocery store where they are likely the most crowded places in town due to the fact that nearly every other kind of non-essential business is closed. You're coming in contact with one person at most, none if you request a drop off at door. Take the food out and dispose of the packaging and wash your hands before consumption.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
only if you trust the place. Plus covid cant be transmitted via food. Take the food, dump the contents on a safe plate or container, dump the packaging and wash your hands
yeah, just take care of the packaging carefully and don't forget to wash hands after handling the package/container used. many deliveries are also taking precaution to minimize contact if I'm not mistaken

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

A $15 tip making someone cry tears of joy sounds like a huge societal red flag. Good on you for hooking her up.

greenbird

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Only once about a week ago, I got some pizza. Otherwise, I've stocked up to just cook at home. Grabbed about a weeks worth of food the first time when the stay at home order was issued here, and I recently went on another run to carry me through the next 2 weeks. Just trying to limit the amount of times I have to go out.

Matrix XII

Oct 27, 2017
We order Skip the Dishes about once a week. They have contactless purchase and drop off now so it's not too bad.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
Once a week or so. Feel like it's good to support local businesses during this time. I just call and pickup, no need to make them drive to me. Recooking/reheating it isn't a bad idea.

Nov 11, 2017
Why not just stock up on stuff to make actual meals out of? Potatoes, onions, rice, pasta, veggies, etc. If you are cooking 3 meals a day there isn't much waste.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain to me why COVID can't really be transfered via food, but can via packaging? I mean, I get that no one should be touching my food directly, but since COVID transfers via particles from the mouth, I don't really see why it wouldn't be on the food as well (if just in smaller amounts).

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Been trying to do take out at local places once a week. Most of them are doing the best they can and they need all the support they can get.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone explain to me why COVID can't really be transfered via food, but can via packaging? I mean, I get that no one should be touching my food directly, but since COVID transfers via particles from the mouth, I don't really see why it wouldn't be on the food as well (if just in smaller amounts).
It can be on food too. It's recommended to heat your food at home

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been getting takeout all the time. Pizza, tacos, burritos, Chinese food. It's obviously not as safe as preparing all of your own meals, but I am not really sweating it. I like supporting all the local places that are obviously having a very hard time.

Some of the local cocktail bars are selling pre-made batches of cocktails, where you get a 16-24oz bottle of one of their drinks. You get ~4 servings for about $20, from places that normal charge $10/drink. Definitely loving that.

Deleted member 32101

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
I don't take the (low) risk. But I use the time to learn / improve my cooking skills, so I don't have a need.

A $15 tip making someone cry tears of joy sounds like a huge societal red flag. Good on you for hooking her up.

Yeah classic US r/UpliftingNews story right there, better suited for r/ABoringDystopia. I once considered moving to the Bay Area, due to higher salary opportunities than where I live now. But I think I take the lower pay in exchange for our food, delivery, etc. workers getting healthcare and all and getting paid a livable wage (we rarely tip and nor do we have to).

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I doordash on the side, and from what I've been seeing, restaurants have been doing their absolute best on cleaning and keeping people apart/safe. They change gloves after every transaction, wear masks and disinfect everything after one customer leaves.

I change gloves after every delivery, disinfect my car, hands, and wear a mask (mandatory now). Most deliveries are pretty much no contact now. They leave the food on your doorstep.

naib

Oct 25, 2017
ATX
My SO works for a corporate catering company that's trying to transition to individual home deliveries.
They're taking sanitation really seriously. I'd like to think all the people in this transition are.

shit is crazy

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017

if you trust the place to have proper PPE like masks

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
Ordered food today for my wife, sister in law and I via ubereats, first time I've used the app myself as I don't have any places that deliver to my area in the UK, but figured while I'm still here in Houston I would try it, took 3 different drivers to finally get my order picked up, and then when they got to the house even though I had made sure to make it extra clear in the delivery notes to "leave food outside front door and leave please" the guy showed up, was seemingly confused which number on the street was our house, so I opened the front door and waves at the car, after he saw me he pulled up at the street and I closed the door again to be extra safe for both of us, and waited on the other side and watched through the clear glass sections of the door.

The uber driver got out, walked up to the door, rang the doorbell twice even though I was right there the other side and just stood there holding the bag until I finally opened the door again and he tried to hand it directly to me, he was also on the phone on loud speaker while doing this to someone talking random stuff, I asked him to leave it there before I open the door fully and he looked at me like I was being weird.......so now I'm not going to risk using ubereats again for the time being.

I'm sure not everyone working for them would be the same but not knowing which drivers actually follow the drop off at door policy I wont risk it.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
Contactless delivery, cooking kills the virus. Just wash your hands. No Biggy.

I saw a delivery car the other day, highest respect. We ordered a few times and got the delivery almost instantly.(15-20 minutes? While normally you wait 1 hour to 1 1/2.

They need to make money, without orders no pay. :(

so yes! Order as much as you can.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017

Food Safety and Coronavirus: A Comprehensive Guide

How long does the virus last on food?
The data for how long the virus can remain viable on food is limited, but in general, viral loads remain more stable on non-porous surfaces like metal and plastic, and break down faster on organic surfaces like cardboard.

Can I get COVID-19 from touching or eating contaminated food?
According to multiple health and safety organizations worldwide, including the CDC, the USDA, and the European Food safety Authority, there is currently no evidence that COVID-19 has spread through food or food packaging. Previous coronavirus epidemics likewise showed no evidence of having been spread through food or packaging.

Are we sure food isn't a vector of COVID-19 transmission?
No, we don't know for sure. However, there is strong evidence to suggest that food is not a vector. The epidemiology of food-borne pathogens is well studied, with government data going back to 1938. The spread pattern of COVID-19 does not fit models of foodborne outbreaks, which are defined as two or more people getting sick from the same contaminated food or drink.

For instance, Singapore has tracked its COVID-19 patients and submitted them to extensive interviews by teams from the Ministry of Health to try to determine patterns of spread. It's been found that most cases are linked to clusters of people, including hotel guests attending conferences, church groups, and shoppers, while none are linked to contaminated food or drink.

The fact that every person eats multiple times a day and thus far no link has been found between eating and viral clusters is strong evidence that no such link exists.

I'm still not convinced. How could food not be a vector?
Let's say a food worker coughs while preparing my food, how could I not pick up the virus from eating it? This confused me as well, which is why I specifically inquired about it. According to Chapman, the risk is minimal. Even if a worker sneezes directly into a bowl of raw salad greens before packing it in a take-out container for you to take home, as gross as it is, it's unlikely to get you sick.

This 2018 overview of both experimental and observational study of respiratory viruses from the scientific journal Current Opion in Virology (COVIRO) explains that respiratory viruses reproduce along the respiratory tract—a different pathway than the digestive tract food follows when you swallow it. And while you might say that you just inhaled that salad, more likely you ate it with a fork and swallowed it.

Dr. Rasmussen concurs, adding that when actively eating—that is, producing saliva, chewing, and swallowing—we are protected from infection in two ways. First, saliva contains proteolytic enzymes—chemicals that break down proteins—which help break down our food and pathogens. Second, the act of chewing and swallowing minimizes the amount of time that any potentially infectious viral load is in contact with mucosa or the upper respiratory tract. The less time a pathogen spends in contact with potentially infectable cells, the lower the likelihood of actual infection.

Eating takeout is fine and you really just need to worry about the packaging more than anything.

But if you really wanted to be extra, extra, extra cautious:

If I'm still concerned, does reheating food before eating it destroy the virus?
Yes. As with any bacteria or virus, safe cooking is a function of temperature and time. The hotter the temperature, the less time you'll need to reduce viral or bacterial load to a safe level. With salmonella, for instance, 165°F (75°C) is hot enough to make a 5-log reduction in bacterial load in under a second (that is, only one out of every 100,000 bacteria will survive that temperature and time). At 145°F (63°C), the same reduction in pathogens would take around 10 minutes. (Bear in mind this is the temperature of the food, not the oven.)

Temperatures and times for coronavirus are not yet fully researched, but scientists suggest a temperature of 149°F (65°C) for at least 3 minutes is sufficient. Experts assume that the virus will respond like other pathogens and that hotter temperatures will require shorter times, but we currently do not have experimental data to prove it.

When reheating or cooking solid foods, such as a chicken breast, a steak, or a loaf of bread, it is very unlikely that any viral or bacterial load will have penetrated past the surface unless the food has been pierced or cut, so heating just the exterior is sufficient (for safety, if not for palatability).

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Want to preface this by saying that I'm guessing here.

CBC (Canada's national public broadcaster) reported that the virus actually survives better on hard surfaces than soft surfaces during the segment where they talked about whether it's safe to pet and let others pet your dog.

Extrapolating that, foods often have soft surfaces, so it could be a similar situation.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
Not everybody can cook, and I kind of doubt this is the best time to learn, so they need to get sustenance from somewhere.

May 31, 2018
Good Lord, yes. Didn't feel like making eggs this morning, so I went to get Chick Fil A. Felt good driving in the sunshine with my coffee, window cracked, and music on. The folks working the drive-thru were taking all the precautions.
I picked up Texas Roadhouse the other night as well. Didn't have to wash a single dish or dip into the feezer/fridge stash. The bacon cheese fries and The Office on tv...so good.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Since the Quarantine started, me and my family stocked up on some food. Nothing too fancy, or super meal worthy, just simple meals like Hotdogs, Hamburgers, frozen foods, luncheon meat, canned good etc. So we've been just eating off of that, but my question is, have anybody been ordering food or using food delivery services? Given the climate of the virus being a contact based, is it even safe to do so?
If you are not sure, microwave or put it in the oven for a few minutes if you want to be reasure (watched a video where a doctkr said that)

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Restaurant/fast-food delivery is banned here during the quarantine so no need to ask myself the question haha

medinaria

Oct 30, 2017
I genuinely feel like it's safer to go get carryout than it is to actually go into a grocery store, lol

most of the restaurants in my city have converted to carryout/delivery, and have very strict protocols (my favorite pizza place literally does not allow you to exit your car). even the ones that aren't as strict tend to be much less populated, and there's much more space than like... within the aisles of a grocery store. my general policy is wash my hands before leaving, try to stay distanced from people when possible, when I come back I take the food out of the container it's in, throw out the container, wash my hands again, don't touch my face between the two hand-washings. not perfect, but it works.

(and morally, I refuse to ask someone to deliver - I don't feel right asking someone else to put themselves into a potentially harmful situation so I can eat something. if I'm going to go to chipotle or whatever, I'm going to do it myself.)

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
Albeit less than before, I still order food in sometimes. I'm worried a lot of my local joints will go out of business. I know they're struggling, my 45-60 minute wait times have plummeted to about 25-30 tops

Untzillatx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basque Country
Here most restaurants are closed and the take out is limited to a handful of places, as only indispensable businesses are allowed to operate and that doesn't include your local taco place.

So no, I don't order food.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
I have but I almost went to Jimmy John's today and thought otherwise since their subs are cold, I guess I could microwave it...