pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I'm just wondering if there are any PC gamers here who actually do use their PC as they would a console, for couch gaming in the living room? I'm not talking about couch gaming in your bedroom ;)

Replacing my X with a high-end PC is certainly something I've considered for a while given PC mostly shares the same games. But I've never had the courage to do so because I would be using it in a purely couch gaming perspective, where consoles are typically better suited. Multiple launchers, tweaking etc, it's not something I really want to be doing. I just want to wake the thing up with my controller, choose the game, and play it. The X's small and horizontal form factor also fits nicely in my living room entertainment set up.

So, for those who do couch-game with their PC in the living room, perhaps almost exclusively, convince me to do the same: Please share photographs of your set-up, showing the form factor, share your experiences, how loud your PC is compared to consoles, how often do you have to get a mouse/keyboard out, what benefits are you enjoying over console gaming etc. Strictly from a couch gaming perspective.

ussjtrunks

Oct 25, 2017
To avoid the launcher issue set all launchers to load at startup link the game you want to play from let's say origin to steams add non steam game and then you can use big picture mode to play without hassle.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I do. PC is behind my TV, and the console(s) below it. I play most PC games with a controller. The PS4 is louder than my PC. I still use a mouse to browse and start games, but I have a flat couch so there's no problem using my mouse on it.

I've had this setup for years.

storaføtter

Oct 26, 2017
I started doing this a few years ago and I can vouch for the amazing experience. Sorry I cannot take a pic of my mess (yet!). I do not have any fancy set up other than having the PC hardware on moveable drawer (so I can move it back to my desk in the bedroom at any point) and connect wireless with Xbox one controllers, usb controllers (Sega Saturn, 360, 8bitdo, Mayflash Gamecube adapter).

One minor problem is how short the wires are due to my viewing distance. Wireless keyboard and mouse would solve that problem, but haven't found a reason to switch to that yet as I play mostly with the controller.

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017
Yep i do. Sorry no pics but i have it set next to my TV, is water-cooled so dead quiet. Just turn it on, open up Steam or whatever launcher I'm going to use, I use a wireless mouse and keyboard to navigate and then switch to controller to play. Steams controller options have made it massively more available as an option to be comfy couch only.

Oh and tweaking/messing about with settings have never been an issue for me. I don't think I've updated any drivers for over a year! and when i do its a simple process. If you are able to use a computer you can maintain one these days.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I have a secondary PC hooked up to my TV and it's great. I treat it as just another console, but with PCVR hooked up and Steam games + retroArch.

Conversely, I also have consoles set up on my PC desk, for driving games (you need a desk for a wheel if you don't have dedicated racing setups) and for games that support mouse & keyboard.

Woutst

Jan 18, 2019
Yup! Me too, I use a Logitech Trackball and wireless keyboard to play Mouse Only games, and my XBONE controllers for everything else.

sprinkles

Oct 25, 2017
Streaming via a Steamlink to the living room TV, using this setup for maybe half of my total time playing games. I have a Logitech K400 on my couch for the times I need KB&M.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
that's what i do, i don't even have a desk for my PC, my TV is my screen basically (i still play keyboard and mouse though for FPS and TPS, i have a table at the right height for that)

Thecrunked

Oct 25, 2017
My PC is in the basement below family room. I ran wires up thru my floor and into the back of my console. I have a usb 3.0 hub and HDMI cable up thru the floor. The USB hub has a Bluetooth receiver for my Xbox controller and mouse. I control the PC either with vnc via my laptop or phone or I use my Logitech mx anywhere 2s mouse for my laptop which can switch right over to my PC (and 1 more device as well). I also have a wireless keyboard but I rarely use it

TigerGD

Oct 29, 2017
My tower is in my home office with a thick 35ft long hi-speed certified premium HDMI cable feeding a 4k60 HDR signal to my TV. I use a Logitech MX Ergo trackball instead of a mouse, and I play most of my games with an Xbox One controller. I've had PCs hooked up to my TVs since 1997, so I've gone through every sort of form factor for my case, and every type of control setup marketed for such scenarios since then. I built my own lapboard with a mousing surface and velcro'ed keyboard a long ago, but switching to a trackball simplified things greatly.

Aside from getting a VRR TV, the only major improvement I can see coming in the next few years is swapping from my current HDMI cable to an optical one, once Ultra High Speed spec'ed ones hit the market. The weight of my current HDMI cable is putting a lot of strain on my receiver's port, and I'm at the limit of how far away I can move my tower from the TV.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
I do. Have my HDTV hooked up to my PC as a second monitor. Steam Big Picture works great - you can set it to fire up on a specific monitor, so I have it set to launch on my HDTV. Use an Xbox One Bluetooth controller for modern games, and an 8bitdo M30 Bluetooth for classic games.

Retroarch let's you also launch on a specific monitor, which is great. UPlay and Origin, not so much, so either I have to manually switch my primary monitor or use a program to do it for me (kind of a pain), or just launch in a borderless window and move to the HDTV.

It is my primary means for playing third-party games, and now MS first-party titles as well.

b0uncyfr0

Apr 2, 2018
Yep, almost always playing with a Dualshock on PC with 4k TV. Using Monect on my android phone act's as a mouse/keyboard so i dont need to find it all the time. Also the dualshock trackpad acts as a mouse. The PS button launches steam big picture mode and im basically set.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
Yeah I do couch PC. I've never liked playing games at a desk. To me, it's always been a couch activity. I use the Steam controller, but as a couch gamer the gyro is useless because my hands are often behind my head. I also have a wireless mouse and keyboard available if needed and I keep a very long USB cable ready in case I feel like plugging in a PS4 controller instead. I don't like using the steam controller for games that use the face buttons a lot (especially Mega Man X). It's too hard to do complicated moves with those shitty face buttons and I can't get the same synchronization/reaction times from myself by using the paddles and triggers that I can by using the face buttons.

As for launchers, I have steam set up to start in big picture mode whenever windows logs on. I don't bother with a password because the only thing I do on the windows side is games, so I just hit the power button and grab my controller. I don't really use other launchers too often, but it's not that hard to set up a shortcut in steam that launches a uPlay game or even an emulator program.

The only real headache I've run into is when the Steam controller times out and turns itself off. Sometimes when I turn it back on, it starts itself up with the wrong profile (desktop mode or something) and I can no longer control the game on screen properly.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I literally only use the TV these days, the only real downside is having the computer tower in the iving room which won't be ideal for everyone, and obviously older games that don't have controller support

Thecrunked

Oct 25, 2017
My tower is in my home office with a thick 35ft long hi-speed certified premium HDMI cable feeding a 4k60 HDR signal to my TV. I use a Logitech MX Ergo trackball instead of a mouse, and I play most of my games with an Xbox One controller. I've had PCs hooked up to my TVs since 1997, so I've gone through every sort of form factor for my case, and every type of control setup marketed for such scenarios since then. I built my own lapboard with a mousing surface and velcro'ed keyboard a long ago, but switching to a trackball simplified things greatly.

Aside from getting a VRR TV, the only major improvement I can see coming in the next few years is swapping from my current HDMI cable to an optical one, once Ultra High Speed spec'ed ones hit the market. The weight of my current HDMI cable is putting a lot of strain on my receiver's port, and I'm at the limit of how far away I can move my tower from the TV.
You can use hdmi cables 100+ft long, get a unidirectional high speed cable, just don't plug it in the wrong way

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I do, Steam Big Picture mode is a godsend for this, if you have an NVIDIA shield that's awesome for this too

Turrican3

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Yep, me.
I have Steam with Big Picture launching at startup, plus a Bluetooth Nintendo (!!!) keyboard and a wireless mouse that I use only when needed.

Nezacant

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
*Raises Hand*
I primarily PC game from my couch. I use a mATX case that is still large enough to fit a 2080Ti. I posted my full setup on the "Post your gaming setup: 2019" thread but here is a picture of my PC when I have it connected to my television.

LquzO3w.jpg

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Yeah I'm using the TV when my wife isn't home or when I'm playing local co-op with friends. I have 3 ways to connect my pc to the tv:

- A very long HDMI cable
- Steam Link
- Steam Link app on my smart TV

I'm not using the app very much, because the latency is too high for action focused games. Steam Link works great, but is limited to 1080p so for good looking games I'm using the HDMI cable. I don't have a Steam controller, just using a wireless Xbox One controller with Microsofts dongle for Windows 10.

secondgen

Oct 27, 2017
California
Two years ago I built a gaming PC exclusively for couch gaming in the living room. It sits next to the cabinet housing all my consoles hooked up to my 4k TV. I use a wireless mouse/keyboard and DS4 via bluetooth. Shit is life changing.

Barsi

alt account
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
I do. Buy a logitech k400 tv and be happy. It will make everything really easy. trust me.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I tried it several times. But to be honest it's too much of a hassle when you play mouse/keyboard centric games.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I have my PC hooked up to my TV and use wireless mouse and keyboard on my couch. Works like a charm. I hate sitting at a desk and a small monitor, always makes me feel like I'm working or something.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In 2013 I moved into my own apartment, bought a 55" panasonic plasma and connected it to my PC (along with 24" NEC monitor).
About 95% of games I played since, I played from couch on TV with controller. First game I played on it was Bioshock Infinite. Looked fucking amazing on TV.
The setup is awesome. As Barsi noted, k400 is amazing thing. I do no need nor use any Big Picture modes or anything, it just isn't needed.

kiriku

Oct 27, 2017
Nowadays I play almost all of my PC games from my couch, by streaming through Steam link over wi-fi from my computer room to my living room. Very, very few hiccups, to the point where I keep forgetting I am actually streaming the games.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Yep, not exclusively though. Bought a Nvidia Shield and I use Gamestream to stream to my 4K OLED. Works absolutely amazing, no discernible difference from playing on my ultrawide monitor. And even HDR games work (for the most part).
Also, I use Moonlight on my Surface Pro to connect to my PC remotely over the Internet, connect the Surface to a TV, and stream in the same way. Every month or so I need to travel down to Sydney (from Brisbane) and the latency is usually so good that I forget I'm streaming from a PC sitting at home 800 km away.

Barsi

alt account
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
That looks like a great solution for those occasional times you'd need a mouse/keyboard, good shout.
It will, it is a solid product and good to use. Makes everything really easy.

I just have a switch and ps4 for exclusives. But most of the time I'm playing on PC.

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
Right here. Why play on a little monitor screen at a desk when you can play on a giant 4K TV with HDR on your couch. Get a bluetooth keyboard and mouse to go along with wireless controller.

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
I play every game that's good with controller on my couch. It's great.

My PC is in another room, with hdmi and usb cables going through the wall. Every time I want to use PC on TV I only have to set to duplicate monitors and turn on tv. I have Logitech wireless keyboard with touchpad to launch games. Simply launching games just a couple more clicks than on console, but when you're in the game it all works fine.

The issues I faced:
Usb cable from PC may be long and have unreliable connections, which causes controllers to disconnect. Fixed by switching usb ports and using wireless adapter for Xbox controller.
When duplicating between TV and g-sync monitor, TV gets bad tearing and the only solution is to disable g-sync completely while you play on TV.
Had some weird driver issues when TV was randomly only receiving black screen.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yup.

I live in a studio so my PC is right next to my TV. Got a Steam link hooked up via Ethernet so it's zero latency.

Instead of buying REmake 2 on the PS4, got it on PC and chilled on my futon with a PS4 controller enjoying 60 FPS (when it wasn't stuttering on loading zones)

Plan to do the same with DMC:V and Shadows Die Twice

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
*Raises Hand*
I primarily PC game from my couch. I use a mATX case that is still large enough to fit a 2080Ti. I posted my full setup on the "Post your gaming setup: 2019" thread but here is a picture of my PC when I have it connected to my television.

LquzO3w.jpg
I like. I have a similar setup except my LED fans don't dram the eyes in as much. I have a Denon 7.2 receiver, Polk sub, and full set of Infiniti speakers. It absolutely rocks.

The main rig is still in my bedroom and that's a 10 core intel with a 1080ti and the living has a Ryzen 3 (pending future upgrade) and my old 1070 FE.

AND AND AND (breaths) I have 3 (soon to be 4) XB1S controllers with the wireless receiver for party gaming which me and the kids do fully take advantage of. The current setup is probably the closes to my dream setup minus a bigger TV which I have in the bedroom due to not trusting the kids with my 70" lol

Is your center on top of your receiver?

mORTEN

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Me too. Close to console experience with ease of use these days.
Just get a big ol' fan that makes less noise and place the tower out of sight if possible.
But prepare for HDR gaming to be a hassle in almost half the cases.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
20190307_081719ltjt6.jpg

20190307_081729l5jt8.jpg

My setup with the rears on speaker stands.

And no, the wires are in an area where I could leave them like that so they aren't exposed directly when we have company.

Nezacant

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Is your center on top of your receiver?
Unfortunately. I'm looking to get rid of this fake fireplace thing (which came with the house, moved in recently) and replacing it with a real piece of furnature that can actually hold all of the stuff I have.

The LEDs on the case look a lot brighter in this picture than they are in person as well. They keyboard has a button on it to turn off all RBGs as well which I do when I want it very dark. Lights in the room are on Alexa controlled dimmers.

I mainly use Xbox One controllers for PC but also use all the console controllers and a steam controller depending on the game I am playing. If I dont feel like using keyboard and mouse to control windows I use an app called Controller Companion.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Unfortunately. I'm looking to get rid of this fake fireplace thing (which came with the house, moved in recently) and replacing it with a real piece of furnature that can actually hold all of the stuff I have.

The LEDs on the case look a lot brighter in this picture than they are in person as well. They keyboard has a button on it to turn off all RBGs as well which I do when I want it very dark. Lights in the room are on Alexa controlled dimmers.

I mainly use Xbox One controllers for PC but also use all the console controllers and a steam controller depending on the game I am playing. If I dont feel like using keyboard and mouse to control windows I use an app called Controller Companion.
I use a logitech wireless kb/m for now but I may have to look into that app.

I didn't get it in my pic but my center is on top of the entertainment center. Now your fancy Alexa controlled lights, you got me beat there :P

Great setup though. Is that 2.1 or do I see rear speakers in the reflection?

Nezacant

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
I use a logitech wireless kb/m for now but I may have to look into that app.

I didn't get it in my pic but my center is on top of the entertainment center. Now your fancy Alexa controlled lights, you got me beat there :P

Great setup though. Is that 2.1 or do I see rear speakers in the reflection?
I can't see your pictures. :( My work has a bunch of different sites blocks especially if they are cloud services. I will take a look at your pics when I get home!

It's a 5.1.2 Atmos. I have rears and 2 speakers in the ceiling.

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like there are quite a few people enjoying their living room setups.

For those of you with families/multiple users in the house, how do you handle things like account switching, account sharing, etc. ? Does everyone just work off of your Steam/Origin/UPlay account? Do these services have a household setting like Xbox does?

Every time I try to do the living room PC setup, it stalls at getting other people in the household acclimated and when one person is using Steam no one else can play games on that account on another machine in the house.

Nezacant

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like there are quite a few people enjoying their living room setups.

For those of you with families/multiple users in the house, how do you handle things like account switching, account sharing, etc. ? Does everyone just work off of your Steam/Origin/UPlay account? Do these services have a household setting like Xbox does?

Every time I try to do the living room PC setup, it stalls at getting other people in the household acclimated and when one person is using Steam no one else can play games on that account on another machine in the house.
Steam has Family Sharing. Great feature and it's easy to set up on multiple machines. Origin does not... I doubt Uplay does but I'm not sure. I've got around the issue you describe by running games in offline mode. My wife and I played Mass Effect Andromeda using the same account on different PCs in the house and it worked fine. You might want to turn off cloud saving on one of the machines though.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
Did it years ago, and now I don't own a single console. Super happy with it. I use a wireless kb/mouse and a wireless gamepad. Most of the games I play I do with a gamepad, like 95%. So it's just like a console, but better. And It's not just for gaming, it's a great HTPC. And even in my super small apartment there's enough space for a ATX tower.

http:///iOjd.png

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
I use steamlink currently but it's just not working as well recently for some reason - had it for years so could be that.

I have been thinking about feeding a HDMI cable through the ceiling or outside along the wall and back in through the window (PC is in the office directly above the lounge) but haven't worked out a good way of doing so yet!

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Steam has Family Sharing. Great feature and it's easy to set up on multiple machines. Origin does not... I doubt Uplay does but I'm not sure. I've got around the issue you describe by running games in offline mode. My wife and I played Mass Effect Andromeda using the same account on different PCs in the house and it worked fine. You might want to turn off cloud saving on one of the machines though.
So you're saying you could do LAN with this config? Doesn't Family Sharing also limit the games played to 1 account. For example, if I want to play my games the other person gets a notification that I want to play a game. Unless something has changed and you can actually use a game from my account and I still be able to play it on my own PC while the other person is on his.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
I have my PC hooked up to my HDTV as a second monitor. I pretty much do most of my offline Internet browsing and non-FGC gaming from my couch using a wireless keyboard/trackpad and controller. I don't bother with Steam big picture or other launchers; I keep the HDTV's desktop rez at 1366x768 which lets me comfortably read text at 6ft distance.

Deleted member 7450

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Meeeeeeee. :D

Its great.
Awkward for sex chat & porn though.
But the risk of someone knocking on my door or peeking at the window just adds to it lol. The sexy danget of someone seeing me with the hands deep down my panties...

Sorry, what were we talking about?

zyvorg

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, with a gaming laptop.

I have 3 hidden cables that you have to connect to get it all working (USB-C adapter hooked to a bunch of other USB devices, HDMI and Power), takes around 20 seconds to get going.

Have a logitech Kb/touchpad for Windows but mostly just use it with a SteamController/Xbox One controller.

The only reason I would sit a desk is if I wanted to play at high refresh rates or to play multiplayer FPS games, but I have noticed Im not interested in those games anymore and find most monitors lacking in features vs modern mid priced TVs.

I choose HDR, Dolby Atmos and couch over high refresh rate, Kb/Mouse and office chair.