• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
My mother-in-law cleaned out some stuff, and my wife came back with an original gameboy (in an awesome banana yellow) and two games: Pochahontas, and Pagemaster.

I assume these two are duds. I also assume theres a decent mario game, and of course the OG tetris and pokemon. But are these must plays/experience? I grew up on NES and am very familiar with all those IPs. Are any of the original gameboy games worth hunting down, or should we just sell (or display) the gameboy?

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Star Trek The Next Generation

What an awesome "bridge simulator", given the limitations of the hardware.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Belmont's Revenge
Revenge of the Gator
Link's Awakening
Operation C
Super Mario Land 2
Heiankyo Alien

KingPat

Apr 29, 2019
California
Tetris

Links awakening (or just wait for switch version or download the dx version for 3ds)

Castlevania adventures

Super Mario land series

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Link's Awakening is great but if you're gonna play it on the Switch later this year you could probably hold off.

Final Fantasy Legend II and III (aka SaGa 2 and 3) are pretty awesome RPGs

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario Land 2 was the only Mario game that I never got sick of. It's by far my favorite on the Gameboy.

Maybe TMNT: Fall of the Foot Clan as well

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
X is worth playing just to marvel at how they managed to make it run on the gameboy

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Links Awakening for sure. It's amazing.

I'm playing through Final Fantasy Adventure/Mystic Quest (depending on your region!) at the moment in the Collection of Mana and it's absolutely great. Always wanted it as a kid and never got it. It holds up.

Super Mario Land 1 and 2 are both great.

Donkey Kong is excellent on Gameboy.

Ducktales if you don't own the NES version. It's the same game and it's excellent whatever platform you play it on. This was my childhood.

Metroid 2 is essential.

Dec 23, 2017
220px-RagingFighter_frontcover.png

787357-raging_fighter_gb_screen1.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Dragon Quest I & II are GBC games but are backwards compatible with the original GB. They're pretty cool JRPGs, especially from a historic perspective.

Aug 1, 2018
Link's Awakening for sure

Sword of Hope I & II (more specifically II though) were also games I loved on the Game Boy as a kid

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Donkey Kong was a favorite of mine growing up. Neat puzzles, the collectables that entice you to 100% a level, mario handstands, this game has it all!

Donkey_Kong_gameboy_cartridge.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Donkey Kong 94 is seriously one of the best games ever made.

as good as GB's library is i'd say that's the only one dead set 'essential'

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
Link's Awakening, Donkey Kong 94, Super Mario Land 2 and the Final Fantasy games are the obvious ones.

Great Game Boy Color games that will also work on the OG Game Boy:

Pokémon Gold/Silver
R-Type DX
Wario Land II

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
You must experience how utterly impossible the Batman Forever and Star Wars games are.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Pokemon Pinball is really good. It's a good pinball game but it's got the catching/collecting hook from Pokémon Red/Blue. Technically a GBC game but I played it on regular GB back in the day.

virtua_44

Jan 16, 2019
Wow! Adding some of these games to my list of stuff to check out!

I've only played two. Tetris and Donkey Kong (1994). Both are incredible. Tetris is Tetris and there are better versions of it out there, but DK94 is a fully-fledged puzzle-platformer game that really surprised me after I got it free from Club Nintendo. The movement is surprisingly fluid. Puzzles are moderately challenging and very fun!

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Lots of good ones mentioned. Just want to eco duck tales and mole mania as a must.

Not covered (I think), I would recommend the fan translated version of "The Frog for Whom the Bell Tolls".