• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
So the year is 1987 and I'm 4 years old, my mom lets me watch tv and I come across that god damn fucking scary (at the time) music video by Genesis for Land of confusion.

I'm gonna be honest it still kind of freaks me out today

How about you guys any shows, commercials or movies etc...
that like scarred you for life?

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I watched the IT miniseries (1990) when I was no older than 7 years old, so that shit made me terrified of clowns. Still think they're creepy things.

Dec 6, 2017
US
So the year is 1987 and I'm 4 years old, my mom lets me watch tv and I come across that god damn fucking scary (at the time) music video by Genesis for Land of confusion.

Ew yes, fuck that video!!! It was insanely creepy when I was a kid!

Also that The Cure video for Lullaby, jesus.

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This scene from Ghoulies II made me so afraid of going to the bathroom that I pooped my pants 4 or 5 times when I was eight. I hovered over the toilet for at least a year after that.

Atlantis

Oct 25, 2017

I watched a lot of Scooby Doo on Cartoon Network as a kid, and I remember turning off the TV immediately when this happened.

Retromess

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 9, 2017
I was VERY scared of the movie E.T. when I was a kid until around age 14 or so.

The first act of that movie, essentially, is almost shot like a horror movie. E.T. and his family skulking around in the shadows, being hunted, and the part where they part the reeds to see E.T. screaming straight ruined me for any type of surprise jump scare.
Then you get to where Elliot is throwing the ball in his yard, and the ball rolls back. I still get chills thinking about that, and how scary it would be to suddenly see a strange, alien figure standing there.

Eventually I was able to get through those parts, but the end of the second act after Halloween, where E.T. ends up in the river, all white and sick, and the astronauts show up at the home... Yeah. It's effective.

As an adult I can absolutely appreciate and love that movie dearly, but there are definitely some tense and scary parts in that movie, especially for young me.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
MV5-BNm-M1-Ym-M1-Nj-At-NTlh-MC00-Yj-Ji-LTlk-Njct-Zm-Vj-Yj-Iy-MTRi-Mz-Bl-Xk-Ey-Xk-Fqc-Gde-QXVy-Mj-M0-ODk5-MDU-V1.jpg

princessmombi1.jpg

EUGcn2o-Xg-AEn-J3h.jpg

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Bill and Tedd's Bogus Adventure.

Kid you night, this movie gave me nightmares for years.
The imagery in the movie (death, shadows, scary bunnies, etc), which I saw in theaters and I suppose I was too young, gave me nightmares and then the fear of those nightmares snowballed and happened even when I aged out of being scared by movies like Bill and Tedd.

Amazing what those age warnings will do to you if you're too young and ignore them!

Also keep B&T4 faaaaaaar awaaaaaaaaaay hahahaha

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Mr-Boogedy.jpg

This fucker.

I remember it being on The Wonderful Word of Disney on ABC and I wanted nothing to do with it. I had to have been around 6 or 7. Went to the other side of my grandparents restaurant and just avoided the TV until it was over.

OP
OP
Reizzz

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
Another one for me is the assistant being swallowed whole in Jurassic World. I COULDN'T STOP THINKING ABOUT IT after for a long while.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Mars Attacks

I saw it in theaters with my cousin and uncle and I guess I was just too young for it even though it's basically a comedy lol. Something about the ray guns skeletonizing people really freaked me out. Wasn't used to seeing anything like that.

Return to Oz mentioned above is another good one. That movie is still super creepy though.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
I remember being terrified of the movie Hocus Pocus just from watching the trailer in a theater as a kid

511e4ftyPML._SY445_.jpg

I would have been 4 or 5 at the time

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
The entire The Fly movie.

My young self was not ready for that level of body horror.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

The Spitting Image aesthetic was not something I vibed with. That's one of those weird things unique to that time period that we've all fortunately forgotten about.

Thisisme

Apr 14, 2018
This scene from Who Framed Roger Rabbit:

www.youtube.com

Judge Doom Dips a Shoe

One of the most chilling scenes I've ever seen, and it's of Christopher Lloyd executing a cartoon character. Judge Doom is one crazy mofo.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
tumblr_nc4d94Cdvm1rp0vkjo1_500.gif

From the classic Ghostbusters-movie. (Ghostbusters-movies in general.)

Alien 1 is the worst, lol.

Great song though.

Last edited:

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
E.T. and Harry and the Hendersons. I was four years old and these motherfuckers were ugly and scary af

R.P. McMurphy

May 8, 2019
The mirror in the original snow white. Once had a fever dream as a kid where I saw the mirror on the wall of my bedroom. Even as an adult I refuse to watch it.

0x03

Oct 25, 2017
Unsolved Mysteries. That damn opening theme used to cause an anxiety spiral and the episode on spontaneous human combustion haunted me for years.

Oct 27, 2017
When I was a little kid, I watched some movie where dwarves danced around a table with a woman on it, picked her up, took her to the cellar and shoved her in a wood-burning furnace. That was pretty fucked up.

Aug 1, 2018
E.T. pretty much destroyed me as a kid. These 2 scenes in particular.

Terrified any time I had to go outside and take out the trash or get something from out garage:

Couldn't sleep with an open closet door as a kid:

cake

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna echo Mars Attacks and the It miniseries, watched both pretty young. Mars Attacks I didn't quite get was a comedy and so all the scenes of the aliens murdering a shitton of people scared the hell out of me, meanwhile I watched the It miniseries in a secluded cabin in the middle of nowhere at night and it was terrifying.

Along with watching New Nightmare really young, these all helped build a lifelong love of horror, so some good came out of it.

chuey

Oct 28, 2017
This movie freaked me out as a kid. I thought I had a good chance getting abducted by aliens. Then it freaked me out more when I found out this happened in my home state. I still reference Heber, Az as Alien Country.

41yp1vRAEhL._AC_.jpg

CarpeDeezNutz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

This video right here! Man I must have blocked this one from my memory didn't recognize it until the one playing the keyboard takes a bite of whatever that was.

Ghoulies scared the shit out me as well.

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
One of the Nightmare on Elm Street movies (cant even remember which one) has part where a guy merges into his motorcycle. The whole thing looked excruciating and I hate even trying to remember it.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm. Okay.

This motherfucker. Thanks, Nickelodeon.
Zeke-the-Plumber-e1572275745294.jpg

Also this scene. Always looked away. Shit, thanks, Sphere (about 12 seconds in--EDIT: FUCK IT'S THE THUMBNAIL IMAGE! FUCK FUCK FUCK).

Also, somehow this scared the shit out of me in theaters, I was shook.
PrAulOGW.jpg

I also agree with Mars Attacks, Vigo from GB2, and I just remembered another one for myself....

latest

Last edited:

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Mirror Of Truth story from Beyond Belief.
beyond-belief-mirror-of-truth-800x599.jpg

That shit aired during daytime television here. There was another story involving a woman in a mirror that was also super creepy.