You live and let live?

• Save the animals!

Votes: 138 45.1%
  • Screw those fur babies!

Votes: 168 54.9%

• Total voters

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Actively avoided it even in RDR2 and BOTW. Certain things like Reptiles and Fish I don't care as much about.
"fake" or not, its a depiction of something I don't really enjoy, especially at leisure.

Oct 28, 2017
I've been thinking about this over the last few years. Like at some point am I going to get ptsd and have nightmares from killing virtual people cause it's so photo realistic? Tlou is one of my favorite games and I'm nervous as hell to play the next one cause it looks so visceral,which I belief is the point.

The Last of Us Part II is the exact game I was thinking about. I game to escape. If I need realistic violence I cane walk to the corner of the block and just wait for something to happen.

I mean yeah I know its fake but I dont like movies with a bunch of gore either and with me being in control of the killing, well I'll pass.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
I don't care, it's not real. I love animals to death, but digital renderings of them just don't have the same effect on me.

mrfusticle

Oct 30, 2017
So much blood in this thread. Ow the edge.gif

I even have hard time with goombas. But like Miyamoto says they're all actors so it's fine.

9j_PBdWXh-MykiT575ACoRbrBbtIOt2UvQD63zID-lM.jpg

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
Either death is avoided through the game lore: Pokemon, Splatoon, Lego games, RPGs where enemies disappear in puffs of smoke rather than leaving a dismembered corpse lying around. Or there's Resident Evil, Sekiro, Doom and the like where the enemy is a fantastic monster for which there would be no real life corollary.

That's an interesting question tho ..I'll try to put it in context..
It's pretty inarguable to say that killing has always been the primary activity in gaming .. I killed my fair share of aliens playing Space Invaders as a kid in the early eighties for sure. A lot of human activities, especially sports, are simulations of combat but safer and less harmful to the loser.. One of the positives of living in civilised society. We play games in part to satisfy these base urges and that's totally cool but, like I said, there's a separation between games/fantasies and real life.. Just like a fight in a movie is cool and exciting but is definitely not cool or exciting IRL.

What I went on to propose was that I believe everyone has some degree of separation between real and virtual violence but where you are on that scale is variable according to your personality and life experiences. So, virtually killing an innocent animal absolutely is inconsequential but, especially given improvements in graphical representation over the years, it's too close to what would be a cruel real life act for my comfort.

Ahhh I dunno .. I may be a huge hypocrite between what I say and play (Ring Fit, Jotun, Civ 6, MK8 online atm.. you decide). Last time I can remember playing what I'd call a realistic simulation of violence was GTAIV 10 odd years ago.. I was so rubbish at that game I'd even obey the highway code stopping at traffic lights and the like!.. Needless to say I don't think I played for more than a couple of hours before realising it wasn't for me even though I played the shit out of Vice City in the day.
Thanks for replying. A couple of things: some games go thru motions where you can insert other actions instead of dying. Puff of smoke could just be them 'disappearing'.

Don't take offense but I'm dying from laughter at you stopping at red lights in gta4. I always feel like the game encourages you to drive recklessly. Cars speed up and slow down based on your actions. The game wants you to crash or drive on the sidewalk.

But yeah, since it doesn't affect me, I was initially bewildered but now I understand a little more. Thx.

I'm driven more by what can help me. Enough BOTW and dragon's dogma had me yearning to kill animals in the Witcher 3, even in the towns. But I'm just looking for food and health Regen.

JulianV

Apr 10, 2018
I decided to finally check out Rdr2 online two weeks ago and as you probably know there's a large hunting component in the game. Now I don't have any problem with responsible respectful hunting in real life but events in my area have made me adamant not to kill coyotes in red dead.

A local gun store had a coyote hunt the last few years and there was so much backlash that the Massachusetts legislature is signing into law a bill that outlaws competitions on a number of wild animals. These jack offs in the competition were so gratuitous and uncaring in their glee at killing that the outpouring of protests was really nice. Anyway I don't hunt coyotes in game (unless its for a daily, I'm not stupid).

Do you skip any animals in red dead or assassin's creed?
I don't mind killing in games, but there's no such thing as respectful killing of someone who doesn't want to die in real life.

Mar 18, 2018
It's a bunch of pixels, come on.

You also want to tell me you have no issues killing digital humans, but have issues killing digital animals :D

OP
OP
Bigwombat

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I don't mind killing in games, but there's no such thing as respectful killing of someone who doesn't want to die in real life.
So my wife went with a group of friends and others she didn't know camping in Texas. Lo and behold someone brought an ar-15 and shot a squirrel in the nose and let it bleed out as my wife and others pleaded with them to put it out of its misery. That's not respectful to the animal or people there. It's psychopathic actually. That's an example of what I'm talking about. I'm sure we all have various opinions on whether hunting is ethical but it is a reality and has been as long as homo spaiens have been around.
There's an article about the issue that started it. And here's the organizer of the event. I and many others had a problem with the glee and zealous delight people had with it.
27657457_1590509187705477_4185272653633714559_n.jpg

JulianV

Apr 10, 2018
So my wife went with a group of friends and others she didn't know camping in Texas. Lo and behold someone brought an ar-15 and shot a squirrel in the nose and let it bleed out as my wife and others pleaded with them to put it out of its misery. That's not respectful to the animal or people there. It's psychopathic actually. That's an example of what I'm talking about. I'm sure we all have various opinions on whether hunting is ethical but it is a reality and has been as long as homo spaiens have been around.
There's an article about the issue that started it. And here's the organizer of the event. I and many others had a problem with the glee and zealous delight people had with it.
Yes I agree that's psycho but I'll copy paste an answer for your other argument:

The amount of time that something has been happening is not at all linked with how harmful it is to the victims. Indeed, the fact that it has been going on so long just underlines how harmful it has been, because the death toll is so high it will never be calculated, and has been entirely unnecessary since we were able to harvest crops successfully. With this attitude nothing would ever change in society, and things that used to happen for hundreds of years like slavery and so on would continue today just because that's what has been happening.

Edit: also you should tag as spoiler that pic

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
I have several hundred hours in BOTW and I still refuse to kill the little foxes that coo at me and run away. When the wolves surround me, though, I'm chucking a bomb their direction for some free prime meat.

OP
OP
Bigwombat

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Yes I agree that's psycho but I'll copy paste an answer for your other argument:

The amount of time that something has been happening is not at all linked with how harmful it is to the victims. Indeed, the fact that it has been going on so long just underlines how harmful it has been, because the death toll is so high it will never be calculated, and has been entirely unnecessary since we were able to harvest crops successfully. With this attitude nothing would ever change in society, and things that used to happen for hundreds of years like slavery and so on would continue today just because that's what has been happening.
Fair enough. There is no essential need to hunt with the way food production happens nowadays.

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
Tbh I did think about doing a vegetarian Link game in BOTW, but generally I kill anything that gives me some sort of benefit in-game.

Agamon

Aug 1, 2019
Anything huge that's minding its own business. Especially if they try to run away when attacked. Feels like an AITA post in the making...

Small animals that die before they know what happened and I can use to craft and/or eat, I have no issue with.

Th0rnhead

Oct 27, 2017
I try not to kill cats or dogs ever, unless they're enemies and there isn't a way to non-lethally take them out. It also depends on the game. More cartoony games like Minecraft and BotW I have no issues with killing animals. Games where it's required to get food, I'm also fine with (which covers both Minecraft and BotW as well).

CaptNink

Oct 27, 2017
B.C, Canada

What a disgusting and awful human being.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I try to avoid hunting any "real" animals in any games if I can. I remember when my dog was really sick and dying when I was playing Assassins Creed Origins and I couldn't get myself to kill any non-human mammal in the game. I would literally just run away if they started attacking me out of the blue. I know it's just pixels, but I still just can't get any joy out of killing an animal.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Since I know they're not real, no, I don't have a problem with it. Same with humanoid enemies.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
It's a bunch of pixels, come on.

You also want to tell me you have no issues killing digital humans, but have issues killing digital animals :D

You can have issues with both, so maybe don't assume things about people for no reason.. The difference is humans are usually depicted as decisively evil and you have to defend yourself so its not a "hunt" in that sense.

Of course games where you hurt innocent people are just as unsavory ie. Hatred, Postal etc and "its just pixels" doesn't mean I want to enjoy acting whats often a pretty realistic depiction of murder. Same with any game that would have you being a sex offender, its not something I want to partake in no matter how "fake".

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I Love animals, but games haven't given me a good reason why I shouldn't kill them when they show up as enemies.