• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
I may have helped another join in on the 86 fun - a client of mine has a beautiful Lotus Seven, a late-80's Carrera 4... and a Ferrari 550 Maranello. He loves the Lotus, but it's a pain to keep up, has zero practicality, is painful to drive on anything but pristine pavement*, etc... so we talked about the BRZ for a bit. He immediately went out for a test drive at the local dealership, and came away very impressed. Now his wife hates me.

* I can attest to this, as he let me take it for a drive. After about 15 minutes, my sides already ached. Absolute hoot to drive, though.

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
Took it to the track for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Felt amazing passing much faster cars (Mustangs, Chargers) at the corners. A lot of 86s were there too. Got burned a couple of time by them and a shit load of middle aged men in corvettes lol.

rn3XJCg.jpg

hLVrl7U.jpg

JfkyFf8.jpg

The car really comes alive at the track. Simply amazing.

Last edited:

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Picked up a 2017 GT86 Pro (UK, so that's the better interior spec of the two models we get here) towards the end of last year. Absolutely love it, nothing came close in this price range to me.

No mods yet, will not do anything for the first year... building quite the shopping list though! :D

Didn't expect to find an owner's thread on Era, but Lazloisdavrock mentioned their BRZ in an ebay thread lol so I did a curious search. There's some fine examples in here!

Sun Drugs , I'm even considering importing an OEM Audio+ system across the pond!

Oct 29, 2017
I am now contemplating getting one of these.

I daily drive a Miata, and feel like this will make for a better daily driver without giving up any of the fun.

Although I'm thinking maybe a 350z might make for a better daily driver. Thoughts?

godofcookery

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I am now contemplating getting one of these.

I daily drive a Miata, and feel like this will make for a better daily driver without giving up any of the fun.

Although I'm thinking maybe a 350z might make for a better daily driver. Thoughts?

Of the two I would go with the BRZ as the daily. Gas Mileage + back seat space + newer reliability (though the powertrain is pretty sound on the 350z from what i gather).

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
Can you please elaborate? Just trying to keep the engine bay temps down.

You've just blocked the outside of the header from getting rid of the heat. If it's not going into the engine bay it's staying in the header until air (a shitty conductor of heat) flowing by can take it away. If you keep the header hotter than the manufacturer intended you're probably going to eventually crack it, right? Or worse, oxidize it which will quickly happen when you expose steel or aluminium to excessive temperatures. Not to mention it'll oxidize whatever shit you're wrapping it in unless you're wrapping it in titanium or ceramic or something equally excessive.

If there's something you're trying to protect, wrap that in heat tape. Don't wrap a header, which is designed to and is trying to dump heat to the atmosphere, in heat tape.

OP
OP
Lazloisdavrock
Oct 31, 2017
Any BRZ/86 friends need an Open Flash Tablet? I have a version 2 (with all cables) that is unmarried and ready to tune for cheap.