rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
The problem is that this is a $60 game with a ftp economy built in to it being published by EA who have a long history of shenanigans and bullshit.

You and others might be happy to spend $60 for a game and then spend more on withheld content. I'm not, but I'm from the olden days when people bought $60 games which didn't have dlc, season passes, mts and Christ knows what else.
Yes, an era when you payed $60 for a base game that had much less content then they do know, and didn't get supported for anywhere near the amount of time they do now either, specially free content that I don't have to pay for. And also? This is a gaming forum, most of the people have been playing games for decades, we all are from that "era", and we all know exactly what it was like. Take off those rose-tinted specticles, cus your memory seems off.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Also, as neat as raids are in Destiny, they're only really cool for that first time experiencing them. Typically with loot games, you get good loot that lets you kill stronger baddies, which give you better loot to keep you going through the loop of increasing all the numbers. Destiny doesn't have that. In Destiny you hit a wall really fast, and the only thing that really stands out in terms of gear are a couple Exotics with a neat perk that Bungie hasn't nerfed yet, and the RNG for Exotic drops is awful and makes the game feel unrewarding.

Anthem sounds more like other loot games, and if that means getting rid of raid puzzles, I'm fine with that. Path of Exile was my most-played game last year. I need more loot games.
You get rewarded by completing a cooperative challenge with friends/randoms, sure everything is better the first time you do it but at least with raids the challenge is mostly the timing and execution, not the enemies.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
But this game can be played solo, so that makes no sense.

Even games like Destiny don't require it unless you play matchmaking activities.
It's an online game first and foremost. Throw your shade at the console makers forcing you to pay a subscription fee to play online games, or play it on a platform where you don't have to.

You get rewarded by completing a cooperative challenge with friends/randoms, sure everything is better the first time you do it but at least with raids the challenge is mostly the timing and execution, not the enemies.
I mean, that's not why I play loot games though.

Puzzles get tedious when you're doing them three times a week just to try to get one particular drop.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get the diablo loot comparisons. like yes there's higher difficulties that increase drop rates like diablo has but these loot drops are far from diablo like in everything I've seen. Diablo has loot dropping like crazy and you can pick things up and equip them right on the spot. Everything I've seen from anthem just lets you know loot dropped and what rarity it is but you don't actually know what it is until later.

Have I missed something?

Winter-John

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
User Banned (2 Days): Junior phase account driving thread derailment
In terms of DLC, I'm pretty sure EA's the least shady of the big AAA pubs.

Ubisoft throws in P2W microtransactions, season passes, and cosmetics. Activision does the same thing. At least EA's moved toward not p2w, and no season passes.

This game is published by EA. Their legendary history of greed and shenanigans is all that's relevant here. How anyone can rush to their defence in the wake of Battlefront 2 is just astonishing. If you want to discuss Ubi or Activision make a thread and I'll be happy to criticise them there too.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
This game is published by EA. Their legendary history of greed and shenanigans is all that's relevant here. How anyone can rush to their defence in the wake of Battlefront 2 is just astonishing. If you want to discuss Ubi or Activision make a thread and I'll be happy to criticise them there too.

Can this be taken elsewhere please? This is adding nothing to the topic being discussed here.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
The problem is that this is a $60 game with a ftp economy built in to it being published by EA who have a long history of shenanigans and bullshit.

You and others might be happy to spend $60 for a game and then spend more on withheld content. I'm not, but I'm from the olden days when people bought $60 games which didn't have dlc, season passes, mts and Christ knows what else.

I'm 35, i played games without mtx and other stuff for the most part of my life. I never bought anything outside of a story-dlc in any game i payed for.

If i buy anthem, and i don't even know if i will, they won't see an additional dime from me. Nobody has to pay for the extra content. The minute they go back on their word it'll be Star Wars Battlefront 2 all over again.

Skins to make your gear look fancy isn't withheld content. An additional character, more item slots, better weapons, more story, etc. that would be held back content. But they're not charging anybody for this stuff.

You don't even have to pay them 60$ to pay the game (on xbox and PC). I'm going to give them 15$ for a month and if the game is awesome and they're not changing their mtx stance i might buy the game in a sale.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
I don't get the diablo loot comparisons. like yes there's higher difficulties that increase drop rates like diablo has but these loot drops are far from diablo like in everything I've seen. Diablo has loot dropping like crazy and you can pick things up and equip them right on the spot. Everything I've seen from anthem just lets you know loot dropped and what rarity it is but you don't actually know what it is until later.

Have I missed something?
Class variety and build variety within classes is structured much more like Diablo, and seems to have much more depth than other loot shooters. The game is more ability-focused than gun-focused unlike Destiny and Division. The loot can actually affect your class abilities significantly. The game is structured around global difficulties rather than having a small subset of content for high level players to grind and making the low level content useless.

Those are off the top of my head.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This thread isn't about EA's history with making a mistake with one game and fixing it immediately. This is a thread about Anthem, which has only cosmetic microtransactions.

BIG J

Oct 27, 2017
this thread isnt about EA's greed./ go fucking make your own thread to bitch about

ThatOneGuy

Dec 3, 2018
Can this be taken elsewhere please? This is adding nothing to the topic being discussed here.

Agreed, if you don't like the mtx economy that is going to be included in the game then don't buy it? Vote with your wallet.

I'll be picking up the game and will just grind for all the cosmetics, simple as that. If they end up being overly grindy and impossible to obtain without an insane amount of time put in then I'll grab my pitchfork.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing to the topic? I'm discussing the issue of microtransactions in this game and the publisher's history. It couldn't possibly be more on topic.

You starting the EA hate train is not the point of this thread. Take it somewhere else please. Not every anthem thread needs this nonsense.

Plus how about we wait until the game is out and we see what happens in regards to the grind for cosmetics before we start losing our minds?

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
They're going to make a fortune on cosmetics. I already want to buy outfits for all my javelins.

Love the Diablo style loot grind of this game. If it's varied enough and we get enough maps to feel fresh, this is going to be a hit.

Oct 27, 2017
I wish Destiny had ever increasing difficulty settings and new loot instead of grinding the same old content at the same old difficulty setting for the same old loot. Remains to be seen if Anthem can pull it off in a great way like Diablo 3 did.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
That all sounds pretty good to me, except for the possibility that they lock additional javelin types behind the premium currency

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
They're going to make a fortune on cosmetics. I already want to buy outfits for all my javelins.

Love the Diablo style loot grind of this game. If it's varied enough and we get enough maps to feel fresh, this is going to be a hit.

I have even less willpower when it comes to customizing these mechs than I do even for warframe and I don't want to think about that.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 35, i played games without mtx and other stuff for the most part of my life. I never bought anything outside of a story-dlc in any game i payed for.

If i buy anthem, and i don't even know if i will, they won't see an additional dime from me. Nobody has to pay for the extra content. The minute they go back on their word it'll be Star Wars Battlefront 2 all over again.

Skins to make your gear look fancy isn't withheld content. An additional character, more item slots, better weapons, more story, etc. that would be held back content. But they're not charging anybody for this stuff.

You don't even have to pay them 60$ to pay the game (on xbox and PC). I'm going to give them 15$ for a month and if the game is awesome and they're not changing their mtx stance i might buy the game in a sale.
To be clear, they have not ruled out charging for more Javelins. I'm kind of confident they aren't holding any of those back though since they've mentioned in the live streams that they've only been demoing the Interceptor recently because it wasn't ready to be shown before. But yeah, basically, I wouldn't rule out them charging for anything that doesn't split the player base.

TO THEIR CREDIT THOUGH, they've already said there's nothing in the base game you can't earn without MTXs except the Legion of Dawn preorder stuff. That contradicts that blurb from the article about seeing cosmetics that cost a mix of both, but I have a feeling IGN misunderstood what was probably an option between paying with either/or. Personally I don't have an issue with this. I find it funny trying to bring up old games too as if expansion packs that didn't add more characters or units or whatever along with other content never existed.

WarMacheen

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Like what I read. Cosmetic stuff with money is ok, not a fan, but at least actual content will be free. Also new Javelins needing real money was an obvious conclusion before reading this.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I find it funny trying to bring up old games too as if expansion packs that didn't add more characters or units or whatever along with other content never existed.
Expansions are a bit different than getting nickeled and dimed buying an odd amount of fake currency $5 at a time to buy pieces parts of a game that leaves you with 20 leftover glimmer that you can't buy anything with. But I think you know that.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Those are design philosophies not code, I don't know much about game dev but I still feel that I understand waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than you do cus you think using the same contoller buttons means it's using the same code. Like what the heck?
I'm a programmer too? We're both guessing here, and I thought the overall mechanics seemed too similar, and not that it has to be a bad thing but to me it shows how the game was assembled.

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
premium currency ? im out. another game ruined by ea's monetization. the grind for those premium skins will probably be unreal (looking at battlefront 2)

Lol

If this is truly the first you've heard about the game's planned microtransactions, you were never going to get it anyways.

Adios amigo

Stardestroyer

Oct 31, 2017

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
Class variety and build variety within classes is structured much more like Diablo, and seems to have much more depth than other loot shooters. The game is more ability-focused than gun-focused unlike Destiny and Division. The loot can actually affect your class abilities significantly. The game is structured around global difficulties rather than having a small subset of content for high level players to grind and making the low level content useless.

I really, really hope they get that right. I've said this in so many Anthem threads, but horizontal progression is so much more interesting to me than vertical progression.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Expansions are a bit different than getting nickeled and dimed buying an odd amount of fake currency $5 at a time to buy pieces parts of a game that leaves you with 20 leftover glimmer that you can't buy anything with. But I think you know that.
Premium currency is an issue but that's unfortunately the norm (for a number of reasons). I'm more speaking to the notion of "held back content", or games not being "complete" at release just because more content is on the way.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not gonna lie, they have been winning me over lately. I have had a shield up for so long but I might break it

SlickShoes

Oct 27, 2017
If they nail a Diablo like end game I'll play for a long time, that's the type of endgame I wish destiny had but it never seems like they would go down that route now

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I'm a programmer too? We're both guessing here, and I thought the overall mechanics seemed too similar, and not that it has to be a bad thing but to me it shows how the game was assembled.
Did you ever consider, and this is just a thought here, that given the timeframe that MEA ended up having to be made in , and that senior devs had to be taken from other projects including Anthem, that they likely took decisions that had seemed to work well in other projects to add to Mass Effect Andromeda to get it made in 18 months? You are talking about design decisions, not code, and if you are a programmer, you should understand what saying that a game is just reusing stuff from another game means and how that's used to bludgeon game devs and harass them. You are saying things that you have no proof of and are just design decisions? And don't even appear to be that big ones either.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing feels better than taking a moral stance against a game that you had no interest in buying
Thats happening alot these days on here imo. Like you cant be excited for a game and and almost need to defend it for being excited. Including PM"s.
I said it in the other thread whats more crazy. Being excited for a game and being active about it in threads etc. Or not excited and also be in the same threads saying why you are not excited. Wich one is more healthy?

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
The more I hear about this the more I think I'm going to love making builds. Having a set of abilities that feed into each other was incredibly satisfying in DAI and ME3/MEA, and this seems like that on steroids.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017

class and builds arent loot. abilities arent loot. loot's effect on abilities being more significant than division and destiny would make it closer to Diablo sure, also not that hard to acheive. global difficulties also not loot.

Diablo loot is excessive, quick, and lots of stats with ranges and re-rolling and you're equipping loot while playing the content that's dropping that loot.
Anthem looks to be mission structured, make your loadout, do the thing, look at what you got, adjust loadout , choose another activity. the drops them selves seem sparse but builds and min maxing still the focus of the loot. the loot is also geometric shapes much like destiny.

i just see 2 very different loot systems with some similarities and i'm worried people are going to expect diablo like loot drops that litter the floor when from what i've seen drops are more like destiny but more varied stats that have more of an affect on gameplay and builds but that you can't see until missions end.