• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Javelin preference

• Ranger

Votes: 191 17.8%
  • Colossus

Votes: 253 23.5%
  • Storm

Votes: 366 34.0%
  • Interceptor

Votes: 266 24.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Future thiccboi (colossus) here, can't wait to play this game, I need a new warframe in my life.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Been watching some of the live streams and I'm pretty interested. Definitely wasn't at the reveal.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Colossus is looking like the best bet for this type of build. High hitpoints, high damage output, and multiple support options including the ability to draw aggro.
Yeah, I was talking about Colossus, having a taunt ability hopefully means the class gear and sets are about tanking, not everything needs to be a damage dealer.

Fedele

Oct 28, 2017
I was super hyped for Anthem - as for anything scifi that Bioware puts out. But the last gameplay videos made me lose interest in it, and I'm not sure why... It feels bland to me for some reason. I don't know if it's the color palette, character design or maybe lack of a strong story (in the videos of course). Damn, I really wish I was as excited for it now as I was on the announcement.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Bookmarked! Thank you so much for making this thread, have been looking for a community of ResetEra members that are genuinely interested in this game
Missed the stronghold stream, watching now!

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Really hyped for this game, I just hope there is enough content to satisfy the community.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Played the closed alpha and I'm... mildly interested.

I just have this feeling that I know what I'm getting which doesn't really blow me away and the Alpha did not change that except reaffirms that a basic formula for fun is in place, and potentially if the game is balanced out well over time that can make it a game you grow to love... or it can crash and burn miserably, but I hope the Alpha's "slice" holds up across the game while adding styles of objectives and cool upgrades and grinding that makes you want to keep playing.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
It's only a shame there's no PvP.

I know, I know, we don't NEED it... But I'm not even PvP player and in Destiny 2 in Division I often tend to play it from time to time, once a day, just to, you know, take a break from PvE and earn some additional rewards.

I wonder what there will be to do in the endgame apart from dungeons.

OP
OP
Datajoy

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Tbf, that kind of impression is totally reasonable, considering that most Anthem threads barely got any traction (2-4 pages at most in average), and when they do, it's mostly due to EA bashing and/or Destiny comparison shitpostings. Most people who know what to expect with Anthem would be looking forward to the game in silence and rather stay out of the threads due to the toxicity. Or maybe like me, join a discord server or two and discuss the game in peace.
Yeah this is why I started the thread, it was clear that people were in to the game, and yet each thread for the game derailed and died within a couple pages. Hopefully people who are excited for the game can remember this thread exists and post stuff here as it pops up.

hephaestus

Oct 28, 2017
Anthem is the one game Im all in for, I have the ultra edition pre-ordered and I took a couple of days off from work. I even told my wife I plan on being a blob
on the lazy boy for a few days when this comes out.
The Alpha made me mor excited.

At this point I dont even care if its Amazing or a train wrek I have bought my front row tickets and I expect a show.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Heres some random thoughts on Destiny versus Anthem:-

***Shooting (and FPS versus TPS)
Some people just prefer one kind to the other. Based on game play videos and totally NOT on the alpha, the shooting in this feels pretty good for a TPS game.

Both games have damage numbers popping off.

One of the many (almost infinite!?) complaints about Destiny was that bosses felt spongey. So far, in the gameplay videos, the enemies take quite a lot of damage. I've not seen the stronghold video yet so I don't know how clever the ai gets in terms of manoeuvres and fighting.

One thing I think everyone agreed on was that Destiny nailed shooting. Your gun is front and centre and the exotics generally look and sound cool. Dumping a clip from The Last Word was amazing, zinging off poison shots from Thorn was funny if you were on the right end of it.

***Movement
I think both are equally cool in their own way. Flying around in the suit is, sorry I mean looks, lots of fun. Destiny has jumping and dodge rolls etc which are also a lot of fun (warlock jump for life!)

***Loot
No idea until we see anthem high end loot and the rolls it can get. The items have 4 random affixes (similar style to diablo) so there will be god rolls to chase if you want to. The suits could look really cool if they get good effects and stuff. Destiny now has stuff in motion, exotic emotes, and guns that change colour when charged or having certain effects.

End game raids and strongholds****
I haven't watched the stronghold video yet. I hope they have some complex fights that showcase what the different classes can do. I don't know if I want them to be as complicated and hard as Destiny raids.

OP
OP
Datajoy

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have Bioware said if there is microtransactions in this game? Or are they going an expansion pack route?
So far the only definitive statements have been that there will be no "pay for power" ie Battlefront or COD style lootboxes that give you gameplay-impacting advantages. So people are assuming there will be a cosmetics storefront like in Fortnite. They have also said that there will be free DLC, but I can't remember quite what the details were.

Heres some random thoughts on Destiny versus Anthem:-

***Shooting (and FPS versus TPS)
Some people just prefer one kind to the other. Based on game play videos and totally NOT on the alpha, the shooting in this feels pretty good for a TPS game.

Both games have damage numbers popping off.

One of the many (almost infinite!?) complaints about Destiny was that bosses felt spongey. So far, in the gameplay videos, the enemies take quite a lot of damage. I've not seen the stronghold video yet so I don't know how clever the ai gets in terms of manoeuvres and fighting.

One thing I think everyone agreed on was that Destiny nailed shooting. Your gun is front and centre and the exotics generally look and sound cool. Dumping a clip from The Last Word was amazing, zinging off poison shots from Thorn was funny if you were on the right end of it.

***Movement
I think both are equally cool in their own way. Flying around in the suit is, sorry I mean looks, lots of fun. Destiny has jumping and dodge rolls etc which are also a lot of fun (warlock jump for life!)

***Loot
No idea until we see anthem high end loot and the rolls it can get. The items have 4 random affixes (similar style to diablo) so there will be god rolls to chase if you want to. The suits could look really cool if they get good effects and stuff. Destiny now has stuff in motion, exotic emotes, and guns that change colour when charged or having certain effects.

End game raids and strongholds****
I haven't watched the stronghold video yet. I hope they have some complex fights that showcase what the different classes can do. I don't know if I want them to be as complicated and hard as Destiny raids.
Thanks for the impressions, I'm jealous you got the chance to... er.. watch the gameplay videos so attentively.

IgnotumCL

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
To be honest I didn't have faith in the game, but after playing the Alpha everything changed. Can't wait for February.

Gray clouds

Nov 7, 2017
After seeing the Interceptor in action, I wonder how popular Ranger will remain in the long run. I have no doubt Ranger will hold up performance-wise, but somehow having the ability to toss a grenade just doesn't seem that appealing.

The Interceptor has speed, acrobatics, and unlimited melee.
The Storm has the magic spells, magic bubble, and longer hovering capabilities.
The Colossus is massive, carries a shield, and has exclusive access two types of heavy guns.

OP
OP
Datajoy

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After seeing the Interceptor in action, I wonder how popular Ranger will remain in the long run. I have no doubt Ranger will hold up performance-wise, but somehow having the ability to toss a grenade just doesn't seem that appealing.

The Interceptor has speed, aerobatics, and unlimited melee.
The Colossus is massive, carries a shield, and has exclusive access two types of heavy guns.
The cool think about the ranger though is that it sits in the middle of all the other classes. Combines some of the maneuverability of the Interceptor with some of the firepower of Colossus. Solid all-around without any extreme strengths or extreme weaknesses. I like this kind of flexibility.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Really looking forward to Anthem. I've been following the game right from its first announcement and everything that I've seen (and played) so far has only furthered my interest. So I will be buying the game for sure and I'm almost certain I will have a good time.
How long of a good time depends on a couple of things though, in no particular order:
  • First of all, I'm not entirely sure what to think about the fact that loot tables are global only, meaning no special loot from stronghold bosses for instance. I really enjoy working towards something, even if it's only that this stronghold's boss has a 1% chance of dropping that one weapon I need. I fear that without a specific goal to grind for, I'm going to feel a little aimless working towards builds and weapons. Not to mention from a gameplay perspective it leaves you playing the easiest stronghold over and over again to get what you want, because no matter what stronghold, the loot is always the same. They have said that there's crafting obviously, and apparently certain challenges can earn you loot, but to which extent these mechanics alleviate my concerns remains to be seen.
  • Also, I'm not a fan at all of gear score. I can't really remember whether they mentioned it explicitly, but I really, really hope gear score doesn't affect anything beyond being an easy way to see whether or not you're undergeared for a certain challenge. Because if gear score (together with pilot level and difficulty setting, I know) influences what gear level your loot drops are, you would be forced to always wear the equipment with the highest gear level and this goes completely against BioWare encouraging you to tinker with your class builds. I would hate having to use a component with a higher gear level instead of my sweet +10% shotgun damage component for my shotgun build just to ensure that I get the highest possible loot level. Same thing would apply if gearscore is somehow tied to strongholds directly, meaning for instance you take more damage if you're trying a stronghold with a recommended gear score of say 350, but your score is only 330. This would again mean you having to equip certain equipment just so you aren't disadvantaged, even though your build asks for completely different gear. An all around bad mechanic in my opinion. Maybe I have missed out on news, but I don't think they ever really clarified what exactly your gear score does in the game, if anything.
  • Thirdly regarding strongholds themselves, I really hope they get more creative with their mission design. In that small snippet they showed on stream the whole shtick of find stuff lying around and put it somewhere to advance and destroy all those things to advance already was dangerously close to getting old. And if not that, at least distract the player sufficiently so they won't notice. That's a good option in particular considering the way they have set everything up with the anthem of creation being a volatile and unknown force of creation. Gameplay-wise you can do literally anything with this. Changing gravity? Check. Dangerous acid waterfalls out of nowhere that you have to navigate around? Check. I really hope that they go crazy with it.
There's some other stuff, particularly concerning how their monetization is actually going to look like once the game is live (prices, etc.) and the kind of support we'll be getting post launch, but my now bleeding fingers stop me.
Anyway, I'll be there day one. Not sure yet whether that's going to be the 15. or the 22. but I will definitely be there.
Regarding loot, I do agree with you. Bioware should look at The Division which did it right. Specific gears can only be obtained or at least have a higher chance of drop from specific instances/bosses. That way, people would spread around doing different things, not only focusing on the easiest mission(s). If you want a complete set of a certain gear, you need to farm/grind in specific missions, not the easiest one over and over again.

When it comes to gearscore, I remember the devs talking about how enemies scale to your pilot level instead of your javelin. So what I'm guessing here is that gearscore won't affect your loot, and you will get the highest tier gears as long as your pilot level is high enough. Which means that at endgame you can freely tinker your javelins' gear.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I'll pre-order it, I'm taking the leap as I did with Andromeda, just that I know there's a more focused team and a higher budget this time. If it sucks, well, things happens.

Regarding of Javelins, I'm trying not to be boring and see if I like the Interceptor but honestly, the Ranger is the more fitting to my tastes so far lol.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Just get a month of EA Access when the game comes out, play the game, see if it has replayability and then if you wanna keep playing, buy it proper.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Regarding loot, I do agree with you. Bioware should look at The Division which did it right. Specific gears can only be obtained or at least have a higher chance of drop from specific instances/bosses. That way, people would spread around doing different things, not only focusing on the easiest mission(s). If you want a complete set of a certain gear, you need to farm/grind in specific missions, not the easiest one over and over again.

One potential (highly niche) problem there is that with how specialized it looks like builds will be, you'll likely have specific classes gravitating towards different locations to complete their build. With how important class variety will likely be in the higher difficulties, you're relying on randos having different javelin options to fill out a Stronghold party effectively. This isn't a great solution either though because then you're asking people to play javelins they find less fun than their "main."

This worry would be alleviated if build diversity is strong enough that each class would have something viable to shoot for from each location, of course.

And on the other hand as was mentioned earlier in the thread, if strongholds don't have varied loot tables, people will just do the easiest one and ignore the rest.

Last edited:

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
I've been excited for Anthem since the reveal, but the streams and alpha in recent weeks have made it my most anticipated game. Cannot wait to get a clearer picture of everything cause all they've shown so far has been fantastic.

Gray clouds

Nov 7, 2017
One potential (highly niche) problem there is that with how specialized it looks like builds will be, you'll likely have specific classes gravitating towards different locations to complete their build. With how important class variety will likely be in the higher difficulties, you're relying on randos having different javelin options to fill out a Stronghold party effectively. This isn't a great solution either though because then you're asking people to play javelins they find less fun than their "main."

This worry would be alleviated if build diversity is strong enough that each class would have something viable to shoot for from each location, of course.

And on the other hand as was mentioned earlier in the thread, if strongholds don't have varied loot tables, people will just do the easiest one and ignore the rest.

Wouldn't the solution to this be offering more loot or higher rarity % for harder missions?
My worry about locking loot up behind specific difficulties and dungeons results in the old MMO raid problem: if you don't raid, you fall behind.
Never been a fan of "raid or die".

Oct 30, 2017
United States
I'm boring person, so Ranger for me ! Reminds me of Sword and Shield from MH ("beginner" class and jack of all trades master of none archetype). Besides I think Ranger have Destiny's Titan bubble ability ?

I am definitely interested in maining the ranger too, and it's funny because I mained SNS in monster hunter world too! I tend to see how far I can get "solo" in games like these, so versatility is typically what I look for in my builds!

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm personally not waiting for another loot-driven shooter, but from what I've seen it looks like a pretty decent one. Especially the flying looks great and I like how sometimes the team is spread out around the big rooms. Everyone is doing his bit and killing 'their' enemies.

In tight corridors it looks a bit messy at times, though. With all the effects going on. Visually it's awesome.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Wouldn't the solution to this be offering more loot or higher rarity % for harder missions?
My worry about locking loot up behind specific difficulties and dungeons results in the old MMO raid problem: if you don't raid, you fall behind.
Never been a fan of "raid or die".

Crafting seems to alleviate a lot of the "raid or die" problem, though. Like, maybe you won't get the min-max perfect build, but you'll be 85% as effective as someone who Raids. Definitely enough to experience all the content.

And to clarify, I meant that amongst a pool of Strongholds at the same difficulty, people will run whatever the community deems the "easiest" one. Not by selectable difficulty, but by encounter and level design. Someone on Reddit pointed out that you could just offer rotating incentives for different dungeons, such as a Weekly Bonus for Dungeon X where you get an extra drop roll from the boss, for example.

Oct 30, 2017
United States

I have been thinking about their loot progression system more like it was in Diablo 3, especially with the name of the end game difficulties (grandmaster I, II, III) being very reminiscent of Diablo's Torment I, II, III ect... So my guess is that the best way to chase end game loot would be to find the perfect balance of difficulty and strongholds to efficiently gear up (So let's say grandmaster II to get a guaranteed masterwork drop), then try to push the highest difficulty for leaderboards achievements and such.

Now my hope is that they do not make the mistake that Diablo and destiny made where everyone farms the same stronghold because it is the most efficient location, and then complains that there is nothing else to do in the game. I would like if we got a bounty system that rewards us for completing specific strongholds by giving us rare upgrade materials so that we are motivated to visit different strongholds, and then give us a randomized tileset dungeon mode for farming so that even if everyone congregates in that location, it remains a different experience each time. I think that the shaper storm mechanic which they have briefly mentioned at various points so far would be a great fit for that! You go through a mystical storm, and you end up in a distorted version of the work with a randomized stronghold each time.

I really liked how in the later patches the division made an effort to tell you which rarity of loot you could expect from with mission (so if you played in global tier 2, you would get at least an "exotic" item at the end of a mission, but it would be random which slot you would get the item for). That type of progression would be great, at least until we get to level 30 and start gearing up for end game content.

Oct 28, 2017
Have they announced what the PC recommended specs are yet? I'm debating between my laptop and my X but I will probably go PC copy if I can get 60 fps at high settings.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Looking forward to the game, it's ticking a lot of boxes for me. Funny that my only real interest in the game started out as "I can be Iron Man".

The whole NDA drops on the day of release (Feb 22) or when Bioware talks about specific features.
The beta/VIP demo are not NDA'd and can be streamed.

I hope to meet some era players on PS4.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Did anyone get their demo code from amazon?
Wait, demo codes are being rolled out already?

Crafting seems to alleviate a lot of the "raid or die" problem, though. Like, maybe you won't get the min-max perfect build, but you'll be 85% as effective as someone who Raids. Definitely enough to experience all the content.

And to clarify, I meant that amongst a pool of Strongholds at the same difficulty, people will run whatever the community deems the "easiest" one. Not by selectable difficulty, but by encounter and level design. Someone on Reddit pointed out that you could just offer rotating incentives for different dungeons, such as a Weekly Bonus for Dungeon X where you get an extra drop roll from the boss, for example.
Yeah, there are some solutions and I hope Bioware would adapt the best one(s) for the players.

Have they announced what the PC recommended specs are yet? I'm debating between my laptop and my X but I will probably go PC copy if I can get 60 fps at high settings.
It's not finalized yet. They had specific system requirements for the alpha build last month. They probably will reveal the specs for the upcoming demo/beta too.

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States

I'm in the same boat. My gaming PC is aging rapidly (4790k / GTX 970). I am hoping to get another year out of my CPU but I am thinking of a GPU upgrade. I played the alpha on PC and my X but I am still undecided which platform I want to use when the game releases.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017

The Interceptor has speed, acrobatics, and unlimited melee.

Ranger has the benefit of being the most Iron Man like. It has the wrist rockets and the missile barrage

Status
Not open for further replies.