Status
Not open for further replies.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Glad I'm not the only one that thinks the Castlevania netflix show is kinda garbage. The praise for it mystifies me.

It's got several prominent female characters who do their own thing and do it well. One of the better depictions of Dracula in a long time and an interesting take on an antagonist you don't see very often. Lots of really well done action scenes. A creative team that loves the games and seem to get it. Its really not all that mystifying.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
What's this series about?

Also just got done watching the Girl who leapt through time, and Your Name. Such tearjerkers. And is it me or did it feel like Your Name was the happy ending version of 5cm per second?
Hard for me to put it in words, so I will quote this anon who does a better job than I ever will.
The Monogatari series is a conversation-heavy show that is part mystery, part horror, part romance, part comedy, part ecchi harem, and part supernatural thriller.

The center of the show is Araragi Koyomi; before the first show starts, he is turned into a vampire and then turned back, although with some lingering "side effects". At first, Bake is about Araragi helping other people (mostly girls) to solve their supernatural problems...spoilers.

It has a very distinct and interesting art style, and a lot of witty dialogue. At its best, it is clever and interesting, and uses the supernatural elements as proxies for real, serious problems. In those times, it's brilliant and a sheer pleasure to watch. That being said, it's sometimes slow (verging on boring), sometimes it takes its perverted sense of humor into "just plain uncomfortable" territory, and it is often-times just plain weird.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Tell me, is the manga better or the show? Which has more content?
Sounds like we've established the manga only adapted the first light novel, while the show is planned to adapt 4 of the novels (at a pace of about 3 episodes per novel - it's moving really, really fast). The movie will cover another novel after that.

The show doesn't exactly follow the naming scheme of the novels ("Bunny Girl" is only the title of the first one).

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus fuck there's more lmao. It felt like a pretty definitive ending.
It sure did, lol. The way it continues is good though.
Tell me, is the manga better or the show? Which has more content?
The anime is way ahead of the manga (A sequel manga covering the 2nd arc just started, whereas the anime finished that one last week already).
But they're all based on a LN series so that one has the most content :P
I think I liked the manga version of the first arc a bit more, since the anime is a bit on the faster side and as such a few moments didn't feel as big as they should, but really it's good regardless.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like we've established the manga only adapted the first light novel, while the show is planned to adapt 4 of the novels (at a pace of about 3 episodes per novel - it's moving really, really fast). The movie will cover another novel after that.

The show doesn't exactly follow the naming scheme of the novels ("Bunny Girl" is only the title of the first one).
It sure did, lol. The way it continues is good though.

The anime is way ahead of the manga (A sequel manga covering the 2nd arc just started, whereas the anime finished that one last week already).
But they're all based on a LN series so that one has the most content :P
I think I liked the manga version of the first arc a bit more, since the anime is a bit on the faster side and as such a few moments didn't feel as big as they should, but really it's good regardless.
I think I'll just stick with the anime then.

blurr

Oct 26, 2017
Regarding Thunderbolt Fantasy discussion in previous page:

I feel like the Monk said something for Hairbuns to ponder about but I don't know if it had any effect yet. There's the implication that she caved in because she wanted to save herself since her life is not hers to forfeit but it belongs to her master (as suggested by the monk) but it's really overshadowed by how grave the situation was and the sword's own attempt to tempt her.

Perhaps the development is yet to happen entirely.

McNagah

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who wasn't into the dialogue of Bunny Girl Senpai, but was a fan of the direction it was heading is it worth picking back up? I dropped it around episode 2.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who wasn't into the dialogue of Bunny Girl Senpai, but was a fan of the direction it was heading is it worth picking back up? I dropped it around episode 2.
the resolution of every arc so far is nice so maybe?

Wow you drop it at cliffhanger. Might as well watch eps 3 and like some other already say the series might as well can end there.

Oct 27, 2017
Am I the only one still watching The Girl in the Twilight?

It's not the best thing out there but it is one of the chill animes you watch to chill out and watch characters interact in weird parallel worlds.

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017
I never saw anyone talk about or promote the Fire Force manga, so I figured it wasn't very popular... or even good. Even though I adored his style in Soul Eater.

Blizz

Oct 25, 2017
I never saw anyone talk about or promote the Fire Force manga, so I figured it wasn't very popular... or even good. Even though I adored his style in Soul Eater.
It's really good at the moment, the start is a bit weird but once it gets going, it really gets going, and the artwork is incredible.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Golden Kamuy 18.

Glad that I discovered this series, I really love how they give the time for all the secodary characters to shine and being memorable without taking the spotlight from the main characters who are still the best thing in this show.

The world building in this anime is amazing, I'm impresed that there is not more people into it

Bunny Girl 1-3
This show is really good honestly, loved what happened at the end of episode 3.

Is been a long time since I really wanted to see 2 characters in media kissing.

Ignoring the obvious disadvantage of being in a TV budget, I think that Bunny Girl Senpai was better than Kimi na no Wa

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017
The world building in this anime is amazing, I'm impresed that there is not more people into it
Can it really be called world building if it's based on the real world?
I'd rather phrase it as, the attention to historic references and details about an otherwise often ignored part of history is really something special.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Can it really be called world building if it's based on the real world?
I'd rather phrase it as, the attention to historic references and details about an otherwise often ignored part of history is really something special.

Although I think that what you said is true, I still consider that there is some world building with the characters that pull things that definitely didn't happen in the world.

Although with all the historical details put into the series, I also have a 10% part of me who believes than all that shit happened

Oct 27, 2017
Golden Kamuy 18.

Glad that I discovered this series, I really love how they give the time for all the secodary characters to shine and being memorable without taking the spotlight from the main characters who are still the best thing in this show.

The world building in this anime is amazing, I'm impresed that there is not more people into
I think most people hate that the anime looks kind of weird with the CGI animals and kind of bland visuals. Still I am enjoying it and will read the manga when it is done.

I liked the cameo of Immortal Sugimoto this episode. It was really badass.

I'm still watching it.
Glad to see I am not the only one because it is legitimately a fun anime.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
My girlfriend likes the following:

Bleach - seasons 1+2
Space Dandy
Cowboy Bebop
Steins;Gate
One Punch Man

She also really liked Castlevania (even if it's not technically anime).

She doesn't really enjoy Mob Psycho 100, she couldn't get into Jojo's BA.

Two questions:

1. She doesn't really like Bleach s3. I know this wasn't based on the manga, I've read on that site that shows filler episodes and it says you can skip entire seasons. My question is should she just skip the filler seasons?

2. Can you recommend anything based on the above?

Thanks!

1. Skip it for sure but note also that Bleach is almost uniformly considered to heavily decline after the Rukia rescue arc so your/her mileage may vary even if you stick to the canon.

2. A sort of basic rec but both Full Metall Alchemist series (og and Brotherhood) are highly regarded so if she likes Bleach, FMA feels like a fairly safe bet. There are some entry issues stemming from the way both series bend the canon for their purposes but nothing insurmountable.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's really good at the moment, the start is a bit weird but once it gets going, it really gets going, and the artwork is incredible.
I loved Soul Eater so I'll give it a shot. Too bad the animation quality probably won't come close to the treatment Soul Eater got.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
She came around to Mob Psycho 100 after the LOL episode, now it's one of her favourites! Mine too, I love ONE's work.

Thanks for all the suggestions, we're moving on to Samurai Champaloo next. I've tried multiple times to get into FMA and failed, I'll see if it's something she would like to watch on her own though!

blurr

Oct 26, 2017
Flowers of Evil 13 END

I am too scared to find out what happens after this going by the preview.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
is the way Amazon licenses no different to how it's usually done in Japan? i wouldn't mind a local release of this to help them get a 2nd season but it's usually 12-18 months after the anime has aired that it gets a blu-ray release over in the west

Oct 25, 2017
is the way Amazon licenses no different to how it's usually done in Japan?
dont understand the question, since most if not all of the amzn anime still did air on JPN tv.

Seems like a cheap and desperate attempt to make money and take advantage of anime fans. Holding a 2nd season hostage based on disc sales, should imply there are other problems with the property if you have to threaten a continuation over the sales of discs.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Lord Marksman and Vanadis: 1-13/complete
This show was a lot better than I was expecting and it kept me engaged until the end with its good mix of story and action. Outside of the normal LN tropes in the show, the characters were all pretty well done with motivations of their own and thr MC was pretty good. It kind of sucks they hinted so heavily yowards future events at the end, but this is an LN adaptation and that is to be expected

Last edited:

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Running Boys 7

JhOCpUd.jpg

To no one's surprise these guys suck at running.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Castlevania s2 e1
I like flashes of this but it really doesn't hang as a whole? But then the castle fuckin teleports and the effects are really good and you're like "OK i guess i'll keep watching, fuck"

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus fuck there's more lmao. It felt like a pretty definitive ending.

It's a thing very common in LN where each volume serves as an arc and you can read them without to much problems.

Every volume is called Seishun Buta Yarou, it's not something exclusively of the anime afaik. And this season will adapt 5 volumes of the Light Novels since the movie will adapt volumes 6 and 7.

Am I the only one still watching The Girl in the Twilight?

It's not the best thing out there but it is one of the chill animes you watch to chill out and watch characters interact in weird parallel worlds.

No, I'm watching it and really liking it. The characters, alternate realities, other versions of the protagonists and all are very cool to me. I began the series mostly because of Uchikoshi from Zero Escape being credited as Original Concept but I stayed for the anime itself.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know there's a rule and all for anitubers but I think Canipa is a exception when his videos are so informative, which is the case for this one of Netflix involvement with anime. Many things I already knew like how they buy the rights for the committee for their actual originals and they have licenses like they already do for series but others not that much. This will definitely help people that still don't know about how their originals are made, what are actually originals and such. Anyway, I recommend it.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Every volume is called Seishun Buta Yarou, it's not something exclusively of the anime afaik. And this season will adapt 5 volumes of the Light Novels since the movie will adapt volumes 6 and 7.
Yes, but the rest of the title changed to refer to the subject of the novel, while the anime retains the full title of the first novel all the way through. That's all I meant.

Looks like I misremembered how many novels there were, oops

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
is the way Amazon licenses no different to how it's usually done in Japan? i wouldn't mind a local release of this to help them get a 2nd season but it's usually 12-18 months after the anime has aired that it gets a blu-ray release over in the west

Final day to buy it is January 7 next year. Best bet would be to import from Amazon Japan, as you would get free shipping most likely.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
I know there's a rule and all for anitubers but I think Canipa is a exception when his videos are so informative, which is the case for this one of Netflix involvement with anime. Many things I already knew like how they buy the rights for the committee for their actual originals and they have licenses like they already do for series but others not that much. This will definitely help people that still don't know about how their originals are made, what are actually originals and such. Anyway, I recommend it.

Canipa's OPM video was the one who perpetuated the annoying narrative that One Punch Man was mostly done by Bones employees, a false statement btw, which kinda soured me on his videos.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Slime 7
That started off exceptionally dark. Actually, most of the episode lacked the more light-hearted tone the series has had up to this point. The tone shift did help in showing just how messed up Shizu's been since being summoned. The bit at the end with Rimuru's resistance as well the surprise return of our tsuntsun dragon pal were a nice change at the end of a heavier episode.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Slime will probably end on volume 4 with how the pacing is going right now which is kind of slower and we are in episode 7 still in volume 1 with maybe 8 ending it. But with how the manga adaptation is successful with like 400-500k per volume and the LN have above 60k while both had a significant boost on older volumes and new ones, I'm fairly sure that a second season is coming by Kodansha and the other producers in two years at most and the second season will adapt more volumes since it's mostly action based than the first ones while still with a similar pacing.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
Fire Force will be animated by David Production. Wow, they...have a lot on their list of things to do...

Boy, I have heard absolutely nothing about this series.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Double Decker 1-8

Much thanks to HosannaExcelsis for pointing me toward this one. He said it was likely something I'd dig a lot and he was dead on. Show owns so much and has been some of the most fun I've had with a show this year. I had no idea what it was about just glancing at the name or key art but had I'd been aware it was some sort of goofyass buddy cop show that's not afraid to be genuine between the constant wisecracking and dealing with rejected shounen villain concepts, I'd likely been aboard already. All the little American pop culture stuff is amusing as hell between little nods to stuff like BTTF, Terminator, Charlie's Angels, or even The Big Lebowski. Direction is surprisingly solid and the characters are great. There's no member of the cast that grates which is an all too common occurrence for me. It's gives me this strange vibe that reminds me of flipping the channel to whatever odd episode of anime was currently being aired on Adult Swim late some night and just rolling with it for a bit of fun.

Glad you're enjoying it! This is one of those cases where I'm glad I keep abreast of various quarters of reception of current anime, because I had no interest in a Tiger and Bunny spinoff from some random staff I haven't heard of that looked kind of janky - but it's been surprisingly good. The level of creativity in the visual direction in particular has shocked me - I didn't watch a whole lot of TIger and Bunny but I don't recall it being as creative despite having the bigger name director. The show liking to do visual wipes with double decker buses is a subtle bit of visual humor that always gets me.

I think my favorite character is actually this guy:

He tries so hard to be suave and cool, but ends up coming off more like Michael Scott from The Office in his foolishness. I can't get over how he's come up with all these code names for the officers that all the officers themselves just roll their eyes at and ignore. Somehow he's still lovable though.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Bakemonogatari 1-2
I'm not exactly sure what to expect, but it definitely wasn't this. The concept intrigues me, as well as the allusions to previous events, so I'll keep watching.

Quick side question: Can I skip over alot of the slides that pop up very quickly or should I try and read them all? I only ask because the first two episodes had a ton and I didn't try to catch everything written on them.

Oct 25, 2017
Bakemonogatari 1-2
I'm not exactly sure what to expect, but it definitely wasn't this. The concept intrigues me, as well as the allusions to previous events, so I'll keep watching.

Quick side question: Can I skip over alot of the slides that pop up very quickly or should I try and read them all? I only ask because the first two episodes had a ton and I didn't try to catch everything written on them.

I wouldn't recommend trying to get everything on the flashing slides of text. Just go with the flow.

Oct 25, 2017
Bakemonogatari 1-2

You don't have to skip 'em all once you get used to this long duologue.

Status
Not open for further replies.