• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

I guess COVID is over now, gotta pack in as many people as tight as possible!

Looks like a nightmare to me, paying to get COVID seems like a waste of money. You'd think with multiple years of extra time to get this right, they'd have at least *something* in place to control the number of entrants at once.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Oof.
Absolutely not.
I'm getting anxious just looking at these lobby photos circulating social media.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't feel entirely comfortable going to a movie theater with a mask on, then I see this.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
we need to quarantine these people before they start to spread anime to everyone, i mean covid.

napkins

Nov 18, 2017
i used to like going back in the early 00s. is every expo destined to become overwhelming crowded?

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, wouldn't catch me anywhere near that shit, especially knowing that they also dropped vaccine requirements for attendance.

Ferda

The Fallen
Jan 25, 2019
Portland, OR
I went to a Deftones Gojira concert here in Portland a couple months ago because we had bought VIP tickets pre-pandemic and didn't want to miss out. Ended up getting sick after, was pretty sure I had COVID but tested negative a couple times but it definitely made me rethink big events.

I did end up getting COVID two weeks ago, I'm vaccinated and boosted but ended up getting pretty sick. This is my first week back to work and I still get super tired by the end of the day, have trouble breathing if I do too much and have an irregular heartbeat that goes all over the place. I highly recommend avoiding COVID at all costs.

GameOver

Jan 26, 2021
There have been massive musical festivals around the world with hundreds of thousands of people in the las few months. I don't know how this anime convention is any different in regards of COVID?

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Anime expo was the worst con I had ever been to when I went in 2019. It's extremely cramped and mismanaged. Also the people they had working were complete scumbags. Saw one of them rough up a deaf person who couldn't hear instructions on where to walk. Like he got straight up physically assaulted by a power tripping security person

Samo6106

Feb 23, 2019
There have been tons of concerts and festivals so I don't think this event is really the only one of its kind. Having said that, this seems like an awful experience.

Dr. Rank

Oct 25, 2017
Yea lots of problems at AX with regards to lines/staff. I am vaxed and boosted so I am ok with the risk but the Covid check was a joke it's just a waste of resources. Before I had even raised my ID and vax card they were slapping the wristband on me so they are not checking to make sure they match at all. Mask enforcement seems spotty and will probably get worse. To the pic of above those staff weren't even letting in the AX staff/ volunteers in but letting random 4 day/ Friday only badge holders go ahead of them in the premier line.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
Apparently treating the vendors like shit for good measure.

LMAO Anime Expo is always like this. I have friends who are artists and vendors and they fucking hate the con because it's so poorly run but the revenue is too good not to go.

Anyway, I feel like y'all ain't seen sporting events or concerts where there are no safety precautions. At least AX is requiring masks and vax.

DeeDubs

Oct 28, 2017
We went to Bonnaroo a few weekends ago, and pretty much everyone we went with that didn't get Covid in January came back with it. Luckily super mild and over quickly.

DryCreek

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 days): Dismissive commentary over COVID risks

Last edited:

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Anime Expo seems like a nightmare every year.

Aren't they big enough of a con to hire professional staff? Those lines, in that heat? It's heinous.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have a somewhat related question, how is the US handling cinema screenings, do they allow full seating?
Yes, some of the Dr Strange and Top Gun screenings opening week were packed, at least the theatres I looked at. They don't allow empty seats between patrons anymore like they used to

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Omicron was discovered at an Anime NYC last year.
I was at ANYC last year and it was a circus. They were very unprepared to handle a con in covid times and the amount of masking on Sunday was almost nonexistent.

The other cons I've been to in this era have universally been a lot better, and I hope they got their stuff together since I'm going again this year.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aside from COVID concerns

That just looks genuinely uncomfortable to be in. Like, I can't imagine having fun packed that closely, even with total immunity to all disease.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
My wife was really itching to go to a local con earlier this year because a VA she liked was in attendance. She convinced herself it wasn't worth it still.

It's no where near the size or packed in as this. Holy shit.

Cybit

Oct 25, 2017
If they're having Fire marshal issues, either a) they really oversold tickets (which most conventions have the presence of mind to cap tickets at fire code) or b) they have a counterfeit ticket / badge problem on steroids

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Opening crowd is really shitty, covid or not heh. Yeah much as I had love attending and even volunteering, it is run poorly.

Altezein

User requested ban
Banned
Mar 21, 2021
Buenos Aires, Argentina