• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Keyboard

Definitely no cereal for merchandising.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was this actually ever any good? I remember enjoying it back in the day, but what does a dumb kid know.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Means nothing if it isn't made by people that understand it and are bold with it, not just making a regular kids show with the IP.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was this actually ever any good?

source.gif

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
This is great news, now if we could just get Futurama back on one.

BTW Does hulu support surround sound yet? I still couldn't believe it didn't when I subbed a short whlie last year, I mean 2016 and no surround sound support...that's like 10 years behind technology wise.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
First impression.

"Oh fuck, how cool"

20 seconds later.

"Oh... oh no.... no no no... it will look like garbage, bad CGI digital drawn garbage like most stuff today, noooooo"

It's going to look like a shitty flash cartoon with a simplified art style and there's no chance it'll be as funny. I have well below low expectations

Please please give it a proper budget, animaniacs deserves a lot better than shitty stiff toonboom animation

Sadly this. I can't see the animation quality being as good as the original, which is most of the appeal of the original to me.

It better not be some fucking flash garbage abomination like the new Magic School Bus.

Warner Bros spent half a million on each episode back in the 90s. There's no way a new show has that kind of budget.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
I hate to be cynical but I'm thinking this show will either lack the edge of its former self or will be too "try hard" with the humor. I'd love to be surprised.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The musical cues after every single action a character makes in this show is unbearable. I wish i still liked it.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Warner Bros spent half a million on each episode back in the 90s. There's no way a new show has that kind of budget.

Yep. There's no WAY this is going to be classic hand drawn animation. You're insane if you think otherwise. I think Mercury Filmworks would be a good studio to tackle it. They did a good job with Looney Tunes Back in Action, and I think their experience on the recent Mickey Mouse shorts would do the Warners justice, but then I'm not a real hardcore fan of the technical aspects of animation who turns his nose up to practically everything animated today because it's digital/computer.

I'm honestly more worried about the music. RIP Richard Stone

Sonicbug

Oct 26, 2017
The Void, MA
I kinda wish this wasn't happening, but if they can get back as many of the original people as possible and they're on board then fine, good luck
They will never top this though:

Last edited:

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It could go either way really. There's no mention of Tom Ruegger but then I know he expressed interest in an Animaniacs revival a while back (or maybe that was Freakazoid...)

I know people are going to whine about the animation though no matter what.

I'm more worried they lose the spirit of things like what happened with the PowerPuff Girls reboot

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
I'm more worried they lose the spirit of things like what happened with the PowerPuff Girls reboot

The PPG reboot was done by a bunch of new people unassociated with the original (AFAIK). While it's too early to say, I'd say if they got Spielberg and original cast members involved, there's a good chance they're going to get a lot of the old crew back. I really don't see the likes of Paul Rugg or Sherri Stoner saying no. But then it's just too early to say right now.

Edi: I was just going through an old thread on Toonzone that was talking about it when it was just being speculated and rumored and found this.

I totally want to see that now!

Shig

Oct 30, 2017
Hopefully they can get a style that hits as well as DuckTales or Gravity Falls, but yeah, the animation is not going to measure up to the old show, there's no two ways about that.

Warner and Disney shows from the early 90's had a lot of talent coming from high-budget theatrical animation, with generous co-production by Japanese studios that had become very adept in emulating frame-heavy western animation styles via similar contracting gigs throughout the 80's. These things were huge, standard business at the time, and there was a large pool of traditional animators with great experience on major projects that these companies were staffing from for their TV projects.

That talent pool is bone dry now. Feature animation from major US companies has been dead for years, and on life support for longer. Japanese production companies retreated almost entirely back to Japanese productions ages ago. The industry that enabled shows with the production values and traditional animation discipline of Animaniacs, Gargoyles, etc. suffered an agonizing, suffocating death; You can't just sound a whistle and have people with that caliber of experience back at their peak like nothing happened. Western animation underwent a massive talent purge around the turn of the century, and most people involved simply moved on. Maybe there's people with that experience that can be wooed back, but even absolute best-case scenario, they're going to be flexing muscles that they haven't been able to exercise properly or consistently in decades. Don't expect miracles.

"Mm, YES. They're even better when you're DEAD."

Last edited:

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
This always seemed like an easy pick for a cartoon revival, what with Yakko and Wakko's voice actors in particular being very active still, and with... current events being a goldmine for social satire comedy.

But this is also one of the best cartoons ever made, so... tall order to revive properly. Regardless, very interested.

cid85

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I set one up for my mom in New Zealand for Hulu and it works great for her!

Sorry but does the Credit card needs to be US based or something? I tried signing up with a CC and it came with this message

"We are unable to process your card. Please enter a different payment method or contact your card issuer to enjoy Hulu."

zychi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
My suggestion for the new opening:

"Dot is cute and Yakko yaks,
Wakko packs away the snacks,
Trump is gorging on Big Macs"

Wonder if they'll bring back Minerva Mink for that furry audience.
Keep Trump out of it please. He'll be out of office in a year, and this could end up timeless. Don't ruin it already

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Sorry but does the Credit card needs to be US based or something? I tried signing up with a CC and it came with this message

"We are unable to process your card. Please enter a different payment method or contact your card issuer to enjoy Hulu."

I already pay for Hulu here in the States, I got her a lifetime subscription to a VPN called GetFlix, so I don't know how I can help you there, sorry man :(

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hey, I love Animaniacs. I put it on a pedestal. But yeah... The animation quality is inconsistent from the outset.

Watch the first episode. The iconic intro has that excellent, amazing top notch art and animation. Then the show begins. The 15 minute segment with Dr. Scratch n Sniff is nowhere near as good. Everyone is a little bit off model, the animation is all jerky.

Then in the next segment, The Monkey Song, it's back to the very best quality. Like, look how much more detailed everything is. Every shot has cool dynamic perspectives, the characters have angular, detailed faces, the backgrounds are well drawn and usually have that signature fisheye look.

Then the final segment is back to the crappy art. Most episodes are like that. Its like they could only get the "A team" for about one segment per episode.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
YEEESSSS. This is the one cartoon my dad never had an issue watching with me whenever I bothered him to, and I never understood why until years later, when I finally got the jokes. One of the all time bests, and its probably why I am so damn sarcastic.

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
eh the writers are what made the show. even if they got back every writer from the old shows it woudn't be the same.