• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
So I was given this game as a Christmans gift and just started playing. I'm on day 3 and I'm enjoying it so far. I've only played the original on the Gamecube so I'm fairly new to many of the mechanics.

I am struggling with bells so far though, as it seems like I have to just grind fishing for an hour or two every time I want to make a sizable purchase. I've read that making a tarantula farm on a Mystery Island can be profitable, but then I noticed around April of last year a bunch of posts mentioning that it no longer works, or at least not very well. Is this because Nintendo patched the game and significantly reduced tarantula spawns, or because in April other bugs came into season and reduced tarantula spawn rate? Would this mechanic work now that it's January?

Are there any other bell making tips aside from just grinding something like fishing? I hit my money rock every day, and I've started planting money and non-native fruit trees. I think my museum opens up today, so that should be fun.
I can donate a bunch of turnips for you to play with and sell during the rest of this week.

Once you get your resident services upgraded I think that's when you can buy your own turnips on Sunday mornings.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
So I was given this game as a Christmans gift and just started playing. I'm on day 3 and I'm enjoying it so far. I've only played the original on the Gamecube so I'm fairly new to many of the mechanics.

I am struggling with bells so far though, as it seems like I have to just grind fishing for an hour or two every time I want to make a sizable purchase. I've read that making a tarantula farm on a Mystery Island can be profitable, but then I noticed around April of last year a bunch of posts mentioning that it no longer works, or at least not very well. Is this because Nintendo patched the game and significantly reduced tarantula spawns, or because in April other bugs came into season and reduced tarantula spawn rate? Would this mechanic work now that it's January?

Are there any other bell making tips aside from just grinding something like fishing? I hit my money rock every day, and I've started planting money and non-native fruit trees. I think my museum opens up today, so that should be fun.
They did lower the tarantula spawn rate, yeah, but if you manage to find an island with bamboo, you can still do an effective tarantula island right now. Other islands where there's a river, you'll be hit with a bunch of damselflies to ruin the spawn rates of tarantulas.

When you're hitting the rocks, have you been bracing yourself so you don't get pushed backwards? Dig a couple holes behind yourself so you can hit the rock the full 8 times to maximize your reward (also don't eat fruit before hitting them, I remember that was something people commonly did in the beginning).

You can also shake your non-fruit trees and cedar trees for wasps, furniture, and a small amount of bells, but if you don't have the vaulting pole or ladder yet, you won't get all the daily ones. There's up to five wasp trees per day, so that's another 16,500 bells if you sell the wasps and the hives.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017

How much do you need to ease your grind? I've got far more bells than I'll ever need. I can throw you a couple hundred thousand.

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know what the trick is but this morning Norma asked to leave and I said OK. Then I regretted not having her photo yet. So, having read your post, I thought I'd give her a wrapped iron wall lamp just to see what would happen. I bet you can guess what happened. She gave me her photo.

RNGesus? I don't know.
That's it, that's the trick. I'm glad she gave you the photo!

magimix

Dec 9, 2018
There isn't much at all happening on Skyhold at the moment, but I *do* happen to have Celeste visiting. She is hemmed in on the beach, south-west (F1). Feel free to swing by to pick up her recipe (not sure if it is fixed or random for a given visitor. For my part, I got a Luner Lander recipe. One of these days I hope she gives me the Rocket recipe. Need to get my Robot Hero on, at some point!).

Island will be open for a couple of hours.

[now closed]

Thanks to all who visited.

Last edited:

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Both, I think.

Diving is lucrative if you avoid picking up plants. But really turnips are the way to become a bellionaire, which means you need online service and some friends.

Ah, I haven't had a chance to do diving yet. I see the wet suits for sale but haven't purchased one. Is diving more lucrative than fishing?

I can donate a bunch of turnips for you to play with and sell during the rest of this week.

Once you get your resident services upgraded I think that's when you can buy your own turnips on Sunday mornings.

I actually bought some this morning! I barely finished turning in 30 Iron Nuggets last night to Timmy (decided to go to a Mystery Island to the the remaining few). I think I turned it in and put down the plot for Nook's Cranny around 11:45 PM. I woke up this morning and not only was Nook's Cranny open and ready for business, but Daisy Mae was walking around as well.

I did a quick search and found that she leaves town around noon, so I grinded fishing and got up to 105k bells, and spent them all on turnips. She was selling for 102 each, which apparently isn't ideal, but hopefully later this week I can make some kind of profit.

They did lower the tarantula spawn rate, yeah, but if you manage to find an island with bamboo, you can still do an effective tarantula island right now. Other islands where there's a river, you'll be hit with a bunch of damselflies to ruin the spawn rates of tarantulas.

When you're hitting the rocks, have you been bracing yourself so you don't get pushed backwards? Dig a couple holes behind yourself so you can hit the rock the full 8 times to maximize your reward (also don't eat fruit before hitting them, I remember that was something people commonly did in the beginning).

You can also shake your non-fruit trees and cedar trees for wasps, furniture, and a small amount of bells, but if you don't have the vaulting pole or ladder yet, you won't get all the daily ones. There's up to five wasp trees per day, so that's another 16,500 bells if you sell the wasps and the hives.

Yep, since day one (or two, technically, since that's when I got the shovel) I've been digging a few holes to block myself in and have been getting all 8 drops from rocks.

I also have the vaulting pole and just got a ladder earlier today, but I have yet to explore those areas yet. I have had furniture drop from a few trees though. Is there a daily limit on how often that can occur?

How much do you need to ease your grind? I've got far more bells than I'll ever need. I can throw you a couple hundred thousand.

Thank you for the offer, but I feel like the grind is kind of part of the experience. I've played a lot of resource games in the past, and I know that once you reach the point where you have a nearly limitless surplus of money, items, and essentially everything, part of the journey feels like it's over, so I'm trying to preserve that feeling for as long as I can. I guess the grind kind of makes up part of the experience for me. Tougher and sometimes aggravating for sure, but definitely rewarding.

I was actually able to buy some turnips this morning, so I'm sure in a few weeks I'll be in a much better spot in terms of funds.

Factory 1.21

Oct 29, 2017
Colorado, USA
I did a quick search and found that she leaves town around noon, so I grinded fishing and got up to 105k bells, and spent them all on turnips. She was selling for 102 each, which apparently isn't ideal, but hopefully later this week I can make some kind of profit.

I also have the vaulting pole and just got a ladder earlier today, but I have yet to explore those areas yet. I have had furniture drop from a few trees though. Is there a daily limit on how often that can occur?
There's a turnip thread but it isn't very active. If I get a good price this week I'll post there. My turnips were 102 this morning too.

AC: New Horizons [Turnip Thread] The Road to Bells is Paved With Good Connections

My favorite site for turnip price prediction is:

ac-turnip.com

Turnip Calculator

Calculate your turnip price patterns and gain the most from the stalk market!

You can get two pieces of furniture from trees each day. You may already know but in case you don't: equip your net and then stand directly in front of a tree before shaking it. If a wasp nest falls out, just start pressing "A" repeatedly. You'll catch the wasps without having to move, even if the nest falls directly at your feet.

Nov 25, 2019
Ah, I haven't had a chance to do diving yet. I see the wet suits for sale but haven't purchased one. Is diving more lucrative than fishing?
I have found diving to be more lucrative than fishing/bug catching, because most sea creatures are very valuable. Especially during the winter months where many valuable fish/bugs are not present. There are also two special NPC that buy fish/bugs for 1.5x more than the Cranny, so you can get even richer with some catches. Both come at least once every 2 weeks.

Selling foreign fruit also gives you lots of cash, but it is slower and you need dedicated areas on your island for many fruit trees. It's more of a complement to other activities.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone looking for Merengue?

latest

I'll have this cutie in boxes tomorrow. Free to a good home.

I also have an extra Iceberg Wall DIY if anyone needs it.

magimix

Dec 9, 2018
Thank you for the offer, but I feel like the grind is kind of part of the experience. I've played a lot of resource games in the past, and I know that once you reach the point where you have a nearly limitless surplus of money, items, and essentially everything, part of the journey feels like it's over, so I'm trying to preserve that feeling for as long as I can. I guess the grind kind of makes up part of the experience for me. Tougher and sometimes aggravating for sure, but definitely rewarding.

I was actually able to buy some turnips this morning, so I'm sure in a few weeks I'll be in a much better spot in terms of funds.

At this point especially, there are plenty of ways to have an island produce a good amount of bells on the regular. Selling foreign fruit, selling pumpkins, selling particularly valuable hot items, money trees, high-value bugs, fish, and sea creatures. I tried turnip trading a couple of times, but personally didn't like the 'stress' of hunting for good prices. It is nice that you don't *have* to do the stalk market in order to build up a good balance of bells.

I can craft you a Rocket (or two) if you need.

Thank you for the offer. As it happens, someone made a rocket for me, and now Skyhold proudly hosts a robot Hero. :-)

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Is there a way to stop a bush from growing to full maturity? Been playing with stopping tree growth with planting fruit in an adjacent spot, but I haven't found a way to do that with bushes. Is there a limit on how many can grow in an acre? Maybe if so that could be used to control growth?

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I'm also starting to notice that iron nuggets and clay are in short supply. 6 rocks per day on the island usually yields a daily supply of ~15 each, which just doesn't seem like a lot considering the amount of tools/recipes that require iron nuggets and clay.

Then again I'm only on day 4. I guess I could go to Mystery Islands but I'm trying not to burn through my Nook Miles as the rate at which I'm earning miles has definitely slowed down (despite playing a lot). Maybe I should be more conscious of the actual tasks and treat them as quests.

magimix

Dec 9, 2018
I'm also starting to notice that iron nuggets and clay are in short supply. 6 rocks per day on the island usually yields a daily supply of ~15 each, which just doesn't seem like a lot considering the amount of tools/recipes that require iron nuggets and clay.

Then again I'm only on day 4. I guess I could go to Mystery Islands but I'm trying not to burn through my Nook Miles as the rate at which I'm earning miles has definitely slowed down (despite playing a lot). Maybe I should be more conscious of the actual tasks and treat them as quests.

For the most part, I find I value materials more for the furnitue/decorative-items I can make, than keeping myself tooled up. Especially when you are at the point where the bells are flowing faster than you acquire material. An interesting thing is that most tools can be 'repaired' if you customise them. Customisation kits cost 500 bells each.

I *could* make myself a new sturdy shovel or watering can a few times a week. Or I can save those materials, and instead spend a small amount of bells on customisation kits and 'repair' my tools every few days instead. Over time, I found myself having a generous supply of materials, meaning I was never hurting for them when wanting to make some rad new recipe, or jumping on a really profitable hot item.

And if I forget to customise a tool, and I break it, chances are I'll just spend the 2,500 bells for its replacement, since I'm making tens of thousands of bells a day anyway.

You may not be at that point yet, but you'll be there sooner than you think.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
For the most part, I find I value materials more for the furnitue/decorative-items I can make, than keeping myself tooled up. Especially when you are at the point where the bells are flowing faster than you acquire material. An interesting thing is that most tools can be 'repaired' if you customise them. Customisation kits cost 500 bells each.

I *could* make myself a new sturdy shovel or watering can a few times a week. Or I can save those materials, and instead spend a small amount of bells on customisation kits and 'repair' my tools every few days instead. Over time, I found myself having a generous supply of materials, meaning I was never hurting for them when wanting to make some rad new recipe, or jumping on a really profitable hot item.

And if I forget to customise a tool, and I break it, chances are I'll just spend the 2,500 bells for its replacement, since I'm making tens of thousands of bells a day anyway.

You may not be at that point yet, but you'll be there sooner than you think.

Wow, I had no idea that customizing a tool would also repair it's durability. That's incredibly helpful, although I suppose the challenge at that point would be keeping track of how many uses each item has endured. Sometimes I like to go on marathon fishing sessions so it could be somewhat easy to lose count (unless there's some duability meter that I haven't noticed yet).

I can buy the flimsy items from Nook's Cranny, although since I still have the basic shop I don't think I can buy the higher quality tools yet.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017

The idea is to build up your stock over time. I've got a few thousand of each in my storage just in case I need anything for crafting. Along with 100+ of the seasonal things like acorns, pine cones and snowflakes. Not specifically for me but in case I need to help someone out. I already crafted all the holiday and seasonal specific stuff for me.

Oct 27, 2017
I only just discovered you can visit instances of other islands via dreams, I've been doing it a fair bit since I realised and there are some awesome creations out there.

So I put my island up as a dream, anyone want to take a look at let me know what you think? Still haven't really figured out what I'm doing at the top of the island yet, suggestions welcome! I've been messing around with gardens for my animals, I made Gonzo the filthy house on the end with a mini dump in the back ha.

Dream address is DA-1086-2405-0606, it's called Twiglets after my favourite snack.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Tried to make a snowman. I got to them correct sizes. Put them together and the game didn't do anything. Then I moved one and it put them together in the wrong way and I failed. :/

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Tried to make a snowman. I got to them correct sizes. Put them together and the game didn't do anything. Then I moved one and it put them together in the wrong way and I failed. :/
If you still need recipes or are working on your 20 perfect snowboys for the Nook Miles points, you can just close out the game as soon as you see it's not perfect and try again.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
If you still need recipes or are working on your 20 perfect snowboys for the Nook Miles points, you can just close out the game as soon as you see it's not perfect and try again.

I just need recipes. Well, at least the table and chairs, maybe archway and bar.

I'd be willing to possibly trade if anyone's got spares.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
They do that sometimes if you left one snowball too close to another snowman (or something else it conflicts with). It happened to me too. Just quickly close the game before it saves.

Unfortunately you can't trade snowman recipes, since they send them straight to your phone.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
They do that sometimes if you left one snowball too close to another snowman (or something else it conflicts with). It happened to me too. Just quickly close the game before it saves.

Unfortunately you can't trade snowman recipes, since they send them straight to your phone.

Oh, he doesn't give out duplicates?

Vault Boy

Nov 2, 2017
Did the balloon spawn timer change since release? I know it used to be every 5 minutes, but I swear I'm only getting one every 10 minutes now. I know how to farm them, but I've been away from the game for a while.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Did the balloon spawn timer change since release? I know it used to be every 5 minutes, but I swear I'm only getting one every 10 minutes now. I know how to farm them, but I've been away from the game for a while.
Seems the same to me. You were never guaranteed a balloon spawn every five minutes, that's just the most likely spawn time.

Vault Boy

Nov 2, 2017
Seems the same to me. You were never guaranteed a balloon spawn every five minutes, that's just the most likely spawn time.
Are you certain of that? I did a lot of balloon farming back in the first couple of months of the game's release, and they spawned every 5 minutes for me, in times ending with a 0 or a 5, without fail. Now I'm getting them every 10 minutes without fail.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Are you certain of that? I did a lot of balloon farming back in the first couple of months of the game's release, and they spawned every 5 minutes for me, in times ending with a 0 or a 5, without fail. Now I'm getting them every 10 minutes without fail.
As long as I've been farming balloons, it was never every five minutes. More often than not, it is. But sometimes it'll be ten.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
Hi, new to this thread!

Preface: I have about 1000 hours into New Horizons, and about 2 into Pocket Camp around launch, before I uninstalled it and never looked at it again.

That said: hey why does Pocket Camp have cool stuff like this:

and

And New Horizons has basically nothing in terms of villager/item interaction?

I had no idea Pocket Camp went so hard on letting villagers do cool shit, and I'm over here spending 1000 hours watching my villagers do the same 5 behaviours/actions over and over.

NotSelf

Oct 26, 2017
Hi, new to this thread!

Preface: I have about 1000 hours into New Horizons, and about 2 into Pocket Camp around launch, before I uninstalled it and never looked at it again.

and

I had no idea Pocket Camp went so hard on letting villagers do cool shit, and I'm over here spending 1000 hours watching my villagers do the same 5 behaviours/actions over and over.

Welcome to the thread the game will be updated for 3 years pherhaps well see something like that or something even cooler I'm hoping for an off island shopping district but at this point I'll just take a nooks upgrade.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
hey! so my roommate moved out, and bought her own switch - we transferred her account to said new switch, and she's borrowing the cart, so since i made the island, it looks like she can't still be there, sadly.

she's planning on starting her own new island, but she was at least hoping to keep her house, bells etc as i was told was an option? but when trying to start a village, it's asking to transfer user data, and i don't know how to do this, with her account already being on her new switch. did we do something wrong? can this be fixed for her? appreciate any help here!

*edit just occurred to me that she may need to buy her own digital copy for this to work, assuming it's an in-game transfer?

Shang

Oct 27, 2017
One game has lootboxes and one doesn't. It really is a shame because Pocket Camp has great furniture, but there's barely any room to place it. My hope is that Pocket Camp eventually folds and they transfer all of the furniture and animations to the main games, though they'd probably have to rework the assets to make them look good in New Horizons.

hey! so my roommate moved out, and bought her own switch - we transferred her account to said new switch, and she's borrowing the cart, so since i made the island, it looks like she can't still be there, sadly.

she's planning on starting her own new island, but she was at least hoping to keep her house, bells etc as i was told was an option? but when trying to start a village, it's asking to transfer user data, and i don't know how to do this, with her account already being on her new switch. did we do something wrong? can this be fixed for her? appreciate any help here!

*edit just occurred to me that she may need to buy her own digital copy for this to work, assuming it's an in-game transfer?
I haven't done it myself, but they have instructions here: https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/53697#DT:t1-q1a1EP:t1-q1a1-c

Factory 1.21

Oct 29, 2017
Colorado, USA
Oh, he doesn't give out duplicates?

Unfortunately not. When you complete your collection they will only give you large snowflakes :(

EDIT: Snowballs disappear when someone visits your island. Never mind.

What happens if you make a snowboy on someone else's island? Is it even possible? If it is, do you get a DIY recipe?

I haven't made my snowboy yet today. I could put down the requisite pavement to roll the ball over to get the perfect ratio. I could even pre-roll the balls to full size. The visitor would just have to roll the head into place. Do snowballs shrink over time or do they remain full size? I've never tested that.

But hang on, what's the rush? Won't these DIYs be available while it's still snowing? Is there really any need to find some other way to get them in a hurry?

Last edited:

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
What happens if you make a snowboy on someone else's island? Is it even possible? If it is, do you get a DIY recipe?

I haven't made my snowboy yet today. I could put down the requisite pavement to roll the ball over to get the perfect ratio. I could even pre-roll the balls to full size. The visitor would just have to roll the head into place. Do snowballs shrink over time or do they remain full size? I've never tested that.
You can't. Snowballs don't spawn.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
OK, thanks. That plus I just edited my post to ask the question why there's any urgency in the first place. I just assumed there was some sort of urgency when I offered to help. Then I posted. Then I actually thought about it. 8D Next time I'll think BEFORE I post. 8D
It's fine. Forums are just long-form microblogs anyway, you can post while you think.

Your alts, if you have any, can get recipes from your own perfect snowfolk,, but not large snowflakes, only the Maker can get those, which means, all family members will hate each other for making snowfolk first, especially if the first one does a bad job at it.

Jan 2, 2018
Massachusetts
If you bought it digitally, you can make it so one other Switch can download and play it and any other digital games you bought, without buying another copy. Details here:
https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/47524/kw/primary user
Basically you'd be setting your roommate's Switch as your "primary", so all users on it can download and play all of your digital games. On your own Switch, only your own account will have access to those games.

GlakeGG

Sep 1, 2018
Minnesota
Hi, new to this thread!

and

lol because Nintendo hates us all.

Jan 2, 2018
Massachusetts
Anyone have Judy or Sherb in boxes today? I've got an empty plot and I'm villager shopping.
Oof, what unfortunate timing, I'll be island hopping tomorrow and Judy was on my list specifically cuz you said you were looking for her.

Ankha in boxes today, if anyone wants her, just hit me up, not asking for anything.
The quest to get Megan back begins tomorrow (really wanted her honey house), and then finally use my friend's Ankha amiibo to reunite everyone. I figure it's like, Ankha is pulling an Orpheus to rescue Megan from the underworld.

Status
Not open for further replies.