Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i guess you like that one anime huh?

What, my avatar isn't giveaway enough? :D
But no, Beastars is not the inspiration, I just really like deer and wolf villagers, they're all very cute and I love their designs, they're among my favourite species in this game.

I like some more than others, often due to eyes and color, and there are a couple of small annoyances that drags some designs down like no nose or them always looking upwards. But in the end there is only a single villager, ONE, that I don't like. I would happily have even the oh so hated Cashmere or Elise on my island because there is something charming about all of them in the end.
...except Barold. They should change Barold. He's not okay.

Yeah. I get that Barold is meant to invoke the 80s/90s Japanese game developer stereotype, but I do not understand how NoA is letting that design stand as is. At least remove the bright red lips.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I will say that lot of the old Animal Forest neighbors that didn't appear again until the New Leaf amiibo update can be a little... off looking, though

latest

latest

latest

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I like some more than others, often due to eyes and color, and there are a couple of small annoyances that drags some designs down like no nose or them always looking upwards. But in the end there is only a single villager, ONE, that I don't like. I would happily have even the oh so hated Cashmere or Elise on my island because there is something charming about all of them in the end.
...except Barold. They should change Barold. He's not okay.
Yea, Barold is bad, not sure how that one got by localization

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Yeah. I get that Barold is meant to invoke the 80s/90s Japanese game developer stereotype, but I do not understand how NoA is letting that design stand as is. At least remove the bright red lips.
I think it's telling that even in fan content where people bash him because he's unwanted/ugly they make his lips grey instead.
This popular video kinda loses the point because he doesn't look that bad when you draw him like that!

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Some designs definitely need some changes. Chico would be another one, since he probably shouldn't be released as is, appearance wise.

And the animals the reference indigenous culture need to be updated in a way that still pays homage but doesn't represent a harmful cliche.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Got my first Lily of the Valley! Does it duplicate via watering or do I just have to hope for the random spawn again?

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Some designs definitely need some changes. Chico would be another one, since he probably shouldn't be released as is, appearance wise.

And the animals the reference indigenous culture need to be updated in a way that still pays homage but doesn't represent a harmful cliche.

I think Amelia is a very respectful representation of Andean cultures.

Got my first Lily of the Valley! Does it duplicate via watering or do I just have to hope for the random spawn again?

They are random spawns.

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
Diana wants to move. Don't want her to, so not talking to her at all to let the bubble potentially transfer tomorrow. That is how it works, right?

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Diana wants to move. Don't want her to, so not talking to her at all to let the bubble potentially transfer tomorrow. That is how it works, right?
You checked that it is the move bubble and not her wanting to give you something and whatnot? (Talk, make sure it is, home button before you answer and close the game)
If it is, then yes the bubble will be on a random villager tomorrow (including her again if you are unlucky).

OneEyedJuliet

Jan 20, 2020
Yeah, it's weird and disappointing that the fish models are so tiny compared to the insect models.
I got my dissapointly small colanthacanth fish model today too... I wish hadn't of bothered and just sold those fish for the bells
It really makes it not worth the trouble to get fish models. I was really looking forward to having a great white shark model to display on the beach. Oh, well....

Maaka

Oct 27, 2017
I know this asking for the moon, but does anyone have any real Redd art they want to trade?

He showed up for me yesterday and I have a copy of the graceful painting. I already have: gallant, wistful, moving, scary, and common.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
So ...

Raymond will be in boxes tomorrow on my island. Anyone here interested? For the right price the cat can be yours. Obviously not for the same insane prices he gets traded at other places.

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
So ...

Raymond will be in boxes tomorrow on my island. Anyone here interested? For the right price the cat can be yours. Obviously not for the same insane prices he gets traded at other places.

I already have him, but just wanted to say it's of you to offer him here, even for whatever fee. Prices elsewhere are crazy.

The hype around him is certainly too much, but so is some of the vocal backlash. He's a fun character with a great design and cool catchphrase (crisp).

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
81b318aed16a21841adb780a002cf96a8b1c9f0a.png

Anybody want to buy this? I'd appreciate some art if you have any extra. Real or fake. Or let me come to your island if you have Redd after.

Last edited:

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Raymond wanted to leave today and I hovered over the option for a while before making him stay, I wanted to let him go but there isn't anything better to use the villager slot on due to overlap with personality types, at least he is Smug B type (one of only a few) and seems to have significantly different dialogue to Pietro, I'd rather have Shep but he's the common A type like Pietro.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
Raymond wanted to leave today and I hovered over the option for a while before making him stay, I wanted to let him go but there isn't anything better to use the villager slot on due to overlap with personality types, at least he is Smug B type (one of only a few) and seems to have significantly different dialogue to Pietro, I'd rather have Shep but he's the common A type like Pietro.
"B type" ???

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
User banned (1 day): Hostility towards another member
You're charging an entry fee of artwork for letting someone buy something out of your tailor?
What the actual fuck are you talking about? First of all, I'm not charging anybody anything. But if anybody has any extra art, I'd appreciate it. Second of all, it's complete luck what shows up in your shop, so I'm giving people a guarantee to buy the thing if they want to get it.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly if Raymond showed up at my campsite I'm not even sure if I would take him or not. I'd much rather have Marshal as my smug

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

There's personality sub-types for each personality.

What the actual fuck are you talking about? First of all, I'm not charging anybody anything. But if anybody has any extra art, I'd appreciate it. Second of all, it's complete luck what shows up in your shop, so I'm giving people a guarantee to buy the thing if they want to get it.

The way you worded your post made it sound like you were expecting art in exchange for letting people come to your island to buy that crown.

OneEyedJuliet

Jan 20, 2020
I mean, your post reads as if you're asking for artworks in exchange for letting somebody buy at your Able shop, even if you maybe didn't mean it that way. No need to get aggressive about it, dude, just clarify your offer and move along.

Yuntu

Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I already have him, but just wanted to say it's of you to offer him here, even for whatever fee. Prices elsewhere are crazy.

The hype around him is certainly too much, but so is some of the vocal backlash. He's a fun character with a great design and cool catchphrase (crisp).

Yeah I know.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I have one more square on my island that's completely empty but I'm not sure what to do with it. Any suggestions?

Yuntu

Nov 7, 2019
Germany
So I also have Julian in boxes right now (had Blanche at my campsite and really wanted her, and I dont have Julian on my list of villagers I want - so I made the choice). So if anyone wants him he is up for grabs no fees attached just give him a good home.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
There's personality sub-types for each personality.
And in addition 6 hobby types, it's what is meant to make villagers feel different despite having the same personalities. Problem is I don't think the way they split them is particularly great, for example Smug has 5 B type and 29 A type and then all but one of the B types has the education hobby and then most of the A types have the music hobby.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So I also have Julian in boxes right now (had Blanche at my campsite and really wanted her, and I dont have Julian on my list of villagers I want - so I made the choice). So if anyone wants him he is up for grabs no fees attached just give him a good home.

Oh man, I'd be so tempted to get Julian if I didn't have all my plots full and 3 smugs already. Would even make an exception to my 5 wolf 5 deer island later on. He's the best horse hands down.

Maaka

Oct 27, 2017
I have one more square on my island that's completely empty but I'm not sure what to do with it. Any suggestions?

I usually see what random items I have in storage and plan from there. Makes you get creative!

But as for suggestions, how about a reading nook? Or a mini park with a sitting area, art, flowers, ect? Secret movie spot with film projector, popcorn machine, and something to sit on? (These are all thins I have on my island haha)

delalaser

Oct 25, 2017
who's in charge of the discord group? i still don't have access to post. i introduced myself and the rules said it has to be confirmed here?

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
Personalities have sub-types.

Personality Subtypes

Oh I see thanks!

And in addition 6 hobby types, it's what is meant to make villagers feel different despite having the same personalities. Problem is I don't think the way they split them is particularly great, for example Smug has 5 B type and 29 A type and then all but one of the B types has the education hobby and then most of the A types have the music hobby.
Whats the education hobby? My Knox takes out a magnifying glass like he's some kind of detective.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
I have a bunch of spare DIYs, anyone need any of them?

Decoy Duck
Deer Decoration
Matryoshka
Orange Hat
Peach Hat
Peach Wall
Western Style Stone

edit: Updated the list to what's left. Thanks to everyone who's taken some!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.