Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
This was discussed in the New Horizons hype thread, but I think this news is big enough to get its own thread!

The Japanese Animal Crossing Twitter has shown this recently:

https://twitter.com/doubutsuno_mori/status/1232502607651864576?s=20

https://twitter.com/doubutsuno_mori/status/1232502610160054272?s=20

I realize using google translations isn't the best, but the first tweet seems to say something to the jist of Tom Nook only asking for your Birthday, your name, and your initial passport picture. "Get dressed as much as you like and become yourself who you want to be!" is in the first tweet.

It appears this means that in New Horizons, your gender isn't defined in the game at all, so you're free to determine how you define your gender in the game! We don't know how pronouns are used in the game yet (in past titles, they only used pronouns for you if another villager brought you up), and it seems like you can choose "Lad" or "Lass" as an optional addition to your passport.

Additionally, you're able to completely change your appearance at any time in the game by using a dresser or mirror, so you aren't stuck with your first character design anymore! Also, no more stupid surveys!

There's still some details that aren't clear, but I think with what we know thus far, this is a great and surprisingly progressive step for Animal Crossing!

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
If I have to choose, I might be a girl since all of the clothes looks good on them. But it would be nice if we can just freely change at any time like in Splatoon.

PlzUninstall

Oct 30, 2017
Good to hear. Makes me even more excited for this game!

I noticed there're only 8 hairstyles in the character creator. I'm guessing there will be some hidden away as haircuts you can get ingame. Hoping for a broad mix so that curly hair people can be happy!

Aprikurt

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 29, 2017
Fantastic. Love that customisation. Reminds me of Saint's Row, bizarrely.

OP
OP
Theorymon

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017

I noticed there're only 8 hairstyles in the character creator. I'm guessing there will be some hidden away as haircuts you can get ingame. Hoping for a broad mix so that curly hair people can be happy!

Pretty sure we've seen some characters in the recent direct footage that have goatees, so I'm guessing some apperance options like hairstyles are unlockable.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
My plan was to make a male and female villager like I did in New Leaf, but now I don't have to. Probably still will for storage/decoration purposes, but still.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017

Pretty sure we've seen some characters in the recent direct footage that have goatees, so I'm guessing some apperance options like hairstyles are unlockable.
From the Direct:
acMkVcb.jpg

You can buy hairstyles in groups of 8 using Nook Miles.

Goatee might be a makeup tab option.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I really do hope pronouns are included in some form, I personally would rather have the game refer to me with pronouns that go with whatever gender I wish to play the game as, instead of skirting around it or just using they for everyone.

Supposedly "Lad" and "Lass" are unlocked titles, so who really knows how that would work, may only be a multiplayer thing. I think it also implies that we can eventually unlock more titles, like maybe 'Miss', 'Master', 'Lord'

Pretty sure facial hair is just an accessory, and also existed in previous games.

Aprikurt

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 29, 2017
I wonder how those who thought terraforming was too much customisation will respond to this...

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Might be sorta bummed if that means we're losing Shampoodle. I appreciate customization but I loved the contextualization of styling to be an in-world thing, not just... you rearranging your features at will when you stepped up to a mirror.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
This is great! Wonderful improvement from the previous entries. This sort of stuff makes me genuinely happy to see.

Can't wait to be an enby on my Animal Crossing island!

Kamala

Sep 22, 2019
The news just keeps getting better and better! As someone who changes their character a lot and often has regrets... being able to change anything at anytime is amazing!

Oct 28, 2017

Yeah, I'm ready for this.

ETA: These are the options that were shown in the short videos released via Twitter yesterday, and we already know there are even more options available to purchase from the Nook Mileage program. Top is character creation at the start, bottom includes options that seem to unlock around when you upgrade your tent to a house via a vanity (furniture item).

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Uh... I really wonder how the translations will work exactly, then. There's always some turn-arounds, but in my language gender is implied on the adjectives and nouns, so it could feel like every animal is doing an effort everytime they talk to you to avoid mentioning your gender, so it could feel weird.

Stuff like "are you upset?", "welcome to _", "are you ready?" or "villager" all imply gender to give some examples. Can be worked around it, but I hope it doesn't seem jarring ingame. That said, I really trust Nintendo's translations. Easily some of the best in the industry.

Edit: I know it's not that convenient, but I do hope you still need to pay to change your hair. Don't care if they give you a catalogue there instead of the usual questions, but it made getting a haircut seem like a relevant experience.

MasaI'm1

Jan 15, 2018
I'm actually pretty surprised Nintendo out of all developers is doing this, great progress for them if true!

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a really nice touch. Good on Nintendo. Being able to play as a black girl was one of the best things about Pocket Camp, so I'm excited I can do so in a proper animal crossing game.

On a similar note, since it sounds like more hairstyles can be unlocked, I hope there'll be some nice curly hair options. That seems to be missing from the base options.

Sea lion

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Glad the specifically promoted creating a person of colour. Looks like they realized they fucked up massively in past games.

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Glad the specifically promoted creating a person of colour. Looks like they realized they fucked up massively in past games.

I noticed that they chose to have a person of colour on the cover, too.

81s8etnYPrL._AC_SY445_.jpg

It does seem like they're focusing a bit more on diversity during the pre-release campaign too, for example, the recent direct.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
If there is a gender choice, hopefully they give you a non-binary option.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im not liking all devs' answer to this era of gender self discovery being "no gender at all" and being vague. Is it seriously so hard for them to just add a pronoun option?

Reminds me of that bethesda brand of romance where gay characters didnt actually exist, its just no romance had any actual gender coded interactions so it felt lifeless

Oct 25, 2017
Im not liking all devs' answer to this era of gender self discovery being "no gender at all" and being vague. Is it seriously so hard for them to just add a pronoun option?
Animal Crossing has generally never had dialogue referring to the player by gender-specific pronouns anyways, they refer to player as "you" and any allusion to a secondary player-created villager is always "they" regardless of the gender they chose.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Seems like they don't ask you for gender at all, just your name & birthday.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Animal Crossing has generally never had dialogue referring to the player by gender-specific pronouns anyways, they refer to player as "you" and any allusion to a secondary player-created villager is always "they" regardless of the gender they chose.
Yeah and that vague they forced on everyone is always disappointing. Atleast its not an often thing in AC, so it wont actively take me out of it like it does in a lot of other games.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Animal Crossing: Everybody's special so nobody is special.,

EDIT: Not talking about the gender. I'm really cool with non-binary. I'm talking about the idea that you can just change literally anything after it's been set up.

EDIT, EDIT: I just realized this goes against what people are probably happy about which is that you can transition with this feature. Well, I suppose. You know what would've been more charming though? If there was a salon like Harriet and it said "Transition" and you actual get the trans treatment in the game. But no, just another drop down GUI, completely impersonal.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are there really only eight hairstyles to choose from?

EDIT: Nevermind I watched the second vid in the tweet ignore me lol

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Pronouns might not have been used specifically in dialogue but playing as a girl or boy did change how certain characters would speak to the player.

Oct 25, 2017
Pronouns might not have been used specifically in dialogue but playing as a girl or boy did change how certain characters would speak to the player.
I'm not sure I've ever encountered a specific moment where that happened really. Wouldn't a jock like Scoot want to lift weights with you regardless of gender?

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
Also, no more stupid surveys!

RIP Rover. :(

Uh... I really wonder how the translations will work exactly, then. There's always some turn-arounds, but in my language gender is implied on the adjectives and nouns, so it could feel like every animal is doing an effort everytime they talk to you to avoid mentioning your gender, so it could feel weird.

Stuff like "are you upset?", "welcome to _", "are you ready?" or "villager" all imply gender to give some examples. Can be worked around it, but I hope it doesn't seem jarring ingame. That said, I really trust Nintendo's translations. Easily some of the best in the industry.

Edit: I know it's not that convenient, but I do hope you still need to pay to change your hair. Don't care if they give you a catalogue there instead of the usual questions, but it made getting a haircut seem like a relevant experience.

As a translator for German myself, my god, I love all you beautiful devs out there giving people more choices to create characters and have them addressed as they want themselves, but if your in-game text system doesn't support all the complex intricacies of what these choices imply for the text, then why bother. Then again, I worked on a game that accommodated for that, and translating a simple sentence with a placeholder took 4 times as long since you had to add every single variation for German as available text alternatives... Translating video games is agony.

Pouring one out for all the AC translators out there. I hope you guys didn't lose too much sanity over this game, just so that I can unwind with my best buddy Filbert (who, by the way, has been a cross-dressing Squirrel defying AC gender norms ever since the Game Cube days!).

I'm not sure I've ever encountered a specific moment where that happened really. Wouldn't a jock like Scoot want to lift weights with you regardless of gender?

I'm pretty sure Kapp'n has different dialogue for girls sometimes. He definitely tries to set romantic mood if you're a mixed gender couple rowing with him. Always awkward for me and my brother...

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
While asking your pronouns would be best, I'd much rather have the game be "genderless" where you can change your appearance at any time and wear anything, than have a binary choice at the start of the game which cannot be changed later.