• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When do you expect the Animal Crossing Direct?

• February 5th or 6th

Votes: 58 6.6%
  • February 12th or 13th

Votes: 119 13.5%
  • February 19th or 20th

Votes: 297 33.7%
  • Later Feburary

Votes: 123 13.9%
  • Early March

Votes: 127 14.4%
  • No Direct

Votes: 158 17.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Data seems to be in the game for most of the missing NPCs but that could be just for the amiibo photo island thing. Still have yet to see any evidence of buildings like the cafe or dream suite returning.
I'm curious if they've rolled a few buildings into each other again now that they're competing for real estate in the town itself.

There'd probably still be some sort of map data for The Roost or Shampoodle if that were the case, though...

L176

Jan 10, 2019
I have been a little outside of the loop with the game so this might be a stupid question: Is the rumor true that you can only have one island per Switch or can each user have their own?

Oct 28, 2017
The eight new villagers, from a previous post of mine. They have names now, so I'll put that in one post for anyone who was waiting for this information.

1) Red elephant wearing a sports jacket
Cyd
2) Blue and purple swirled fur cub
Judy
3) Purple bear with yellow accents
Megan
4) Fashionable dark chestnut horse
Reneigh
5) Cat with glasses and heterochromia
Raymond
6) Baby blue goat with darker blue hair
Sherb
7) White sheep with pink horns
Dom
8) Wolf with pink fur and blue eyes
Audie

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Question 1: What are you going to name your island?
My Answer: Zebes

Question 2: What starting Town fruit do you want?
My Answer: Apples!

Question 3: What two villagers do you want to start on your island? Hard one, haven't played since the original.

Question 4: Will you be Terraforming?
My answer: Most likely, one of the big new features right?

Question 5: What hair style will you choose? ponytail!
Question 1 : Hana-Bi

Question 2 : me too, apples

Question 3 : Tammy

No preference for the jock starting villager. Ideally not Sly since I have his amiibo card so I'll get it anyway.

Question 4 : yeah, after having watched a lot of videos of reviewers, the island is actually like, REALLY big ? Like a lot of people are just the lower half of the island to put the village and used the upper half to experiment with the terraforming for the reviews, so yeah I'll definiteny toy a bit with it, but not too much in order to be sure to not do something ugly/awful. Will do it tiny bit per tiny bit.

Question 5 :
When creating the character, this one :
latest

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
y'know there's enough new charm to make up for it and I'm happy about and excited for the game but my pre-Direct fears of light returning content feel pretty vindicated now

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I just want to remind all of you that stuff not being in the game in the leaked build doesn't mean it's not in the final build, which won't be available until Thursday.

And again, that also doesn't mean that it can't be included in future updates.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
This datamine is really disappointing me.

No additional buildings in town other than what we've already seen by the looks of it :(

RIP my planned Main Street throwback

Lbbaker

May 21, 2018
There are way too many staples of the series removed from the game for them to not be added later on down the line through updates. I really wouldn't worry too much about this.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
The way they talked about updates has me very excited. It sounds like they are going to give reasons to keep coming back to the game, unlike before where the game was done when it came out. For games like this thats a huge plus IMO.

The Welcome Home update added so much to New Leaf, I hope the updates to this add as much new stuff.

NotSelf

Oct 26, 2017
I'm going to name my island Riis a park I used to go to all the time when I was a kid the place was a like sanctuary to me.

GlowingBovine

Prophet of Truth
Nov 27, 2017
I'm honestly totally okay if they're going with the update route for adding all the missing items and features back in. Gives me more reason to keep coming back to the game further down the line, plus I'm excited to see any possible new spins on returning features and whatever else new they have in store. I'm sure the game will have enough to it still to keep me occupied for a while.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, there is sort of an economy in AC, esp if you get into the online trading scene.
I definitely think they should clamp down on things that let people mass farm rare items super quick or duplicate items, etc etc.
When people pay other people for stuff, it all falls apart if people can just farm 10 every 5 mins.
Except the online trading scene isnt forced. Who cares if someone wants to cheat, or takes things from a cheater. Literally nothing changes besides people having more cute things to look at. The economy of AC is an arbitrary limitation to keep you playing, if someone wants a thing they want now, they should be able to get it without waiting weeks to months.

Mr. President

Oct 27, 2017
Villagers: https://pastebin.com/WuTtFndu
NPCs: https://pastebin.com/xR885LtY
Items: https://pastebin.com/dhyYxgCY
There's no Nintendo-themed items. No paintings. No gyroids. No wet suits. No perfect fruit. No bananas. No lemons. No lychees. No durians. No persimmons. And no froggy chair.
There's obviously going to be post-launch content drops for a long time.
This is the same development team as Splatoon, right?

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I just want to remind all of you that stuff not being in the game in the leaked build doesn't mean it's not in the final build, which won't be available until Thursday.

And again, that also doesn't mean that it can't be included in future updates.
You realize this IS the final retail build, right? The info being posted in this thread was lifted from the XCI floating around on pirate sites and the XCI file itself is lifted directly from Switch game cards...

Someone got a physical version of AC:NH early and dumped it.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
How does this confirm it's dead? There's snow on the trees and on the ground and all you need to do is restart the game (as in close and open your game, not actually restart your island).

GameXplain actually did a video on timetraveling where they say it's never been this easy before.

I hadn't seen this video yet... Then I misunderstood the tweet.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
You realize this IS the final build, right? The info being posted in this thread was lifted from the XCI floating around on pirate sites and the XCI file is lifted from Switch game cards...

The final/launch build isn't in the cartridges, it's the day one patch that includes online and the Easter event and who knows what else.

TarzanUSP

May 12, 2019
Wow, a little disappointed with the datamine, but I expect them to add the "missable content" by updates.
I don't know but I really feeling that we will see a kind of a 20 dollar expansion pass for the game that will be really good!

Mario_Bones

Oct 31, 2017
Australia
no... no froggy chair? unforgivable
End my life. Over a decade between console games and this is what we get. What was even the point

On a serious note though, it definitely feels like they're taking a GaaS approach to this one. It's interesting considering Animal Crossing is a real-time game hat you can't binge your way through like a regular game, so you might not even notice some things were missing at some point if you weren't told about it. But it's a shame that a lot of things appear to be tied to downloadable patches for preservation reasons. Either way I hope that things are added in regularly enough that the game feels fresh while also not feeling as if there's been a heap of things cut. Holidays being held back makes more sense than things like the cafe and gyroids, and I wonder how much of it is being held for longevity reasons and how much is to buy time to complete things. I don't mind much either way considering it's all free, but there's some series staples I don't want to be without for too long.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Villagers: https://pastebin.com/WuTtFndu
NPCs: https://pastebin.com/xR885LtY
Items: https://pastebin.com/dhyYxgCY
There's no Nintendo-themed items. No paintings. No gyroids. No wet suits. No perfect fruit. No bananas. No lemons. No lychees. No durians. No persimmons. And no froggy chair.
This kinda fits in with my big/paid DLC theory, where they'll give you a second island, Tropical Island Getaway Package for example, complete with it's own villagers, item sets, collectables (paintings/gyroids/whatever), fruits etc

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely. Nintendo is used to leaks by now. They will try to hide as much stuff as possible in updates.

Plus, leaving things that are (presumably?) already developed or nearly finished for a future update a month from now, for example, is a good way to drum up excitement and keep marketing the game for newcomers.

Anyways, I think I'm out of this/the review thread. Less than 3 days away, and I feel like some of the spark is going away with all of the Q&As, gameplay videos, and datamining.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Watching that video, I can't help but feel the island broadcast is partly inspired by the Splatoon loading screen broadcasts. Like, I know there's always been a briefing before starting, but the way they've staged it this time feels more Splatoon-like than Animal Crossing.

Oct 25, 2017
No dedicated Roost building or activity is really heartbreaking... I just hope the team has plans to bring more old and established aspects of the game in as part of the update cycle. Can't be the best without it!

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
There's obviously going to be post-launch content drops for a long time.
This is the same development team as Splatoon, right?
Same EPD groupe, and they share one producer (Nogami).
Yeah, the last Direct made it pretty clear that there's going to be a lot of updates.
And given that all the NPCs that aren't there day one in the game are already in the files...
The theory that missing items such as gyroids, arts, etc, will be tied to the comeback of a NPC in an update seems even more likely.
Also, remember. There's still that weirdly empty second floor in the museum, with the stairs leading to nowhere. Art is 100% coming back and it'll be there.