SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Man I'm tired of the Banjo-Kazooie voice mumble that Nintendo does. It's 2020, let's move past that.
The actually say the text in the written dialogue, just really fast so it sounds animalesque (or whatever the name of the speech they have is called), becuase its a reading program.
Banjo and all those games use just random sounds repeated over the text.

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Terraforming is a miracle for me. Every game since City Folk, after about 6 months to a year playing vanilla, I get crazy with my saves and transfer them to PC to use player made map editors which can be very troublesome.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People don't know what they want.

But I what I know I don't want is this. I'm not playing this to decide everything.

I'm so fucking bummed right now...

Pretty bold of you to decide that people don't want this because you don't want this. Also, this is like probably a month or two at least in the game so it's not like all this is available to you right away.

Oct 25, 2017
Tom Nook: "We're gonna add voices to all game characters!"

also Tom Nook: " And everyone is voiced by Danny DeVito. Everyone."

Olinad

Oct 30, 2017
Ok I need to get this off my chest, take the reactionary punches that follows and then I'm done here.

HUGE AC fan here, easily my favorite Nintendo DS and Nintendo 3DS titles and I have limited experience with the home-console games. What drew me in was just the vibe. It's as simple as that, but what kept me was the charming design, of having random seeds which breeds "unique per player" content, and makes it really satisfying once you burnt out after 3 months on your village, constructions and management to say "Ok I'm gonna do-over it all, give me a new seed and a clean town!" and the joy of being in those 3-month sprints where I actually played it was all about the lived-in feeling. It would update my calendar spontaneously (even if it's all pre-planned systematically) and I would "log-in" every day and be surprised there was almost always something new happening. That hasn't changed but the rest of the experience has... and I can already tell it won't improve what I think makes the games work.

What makes it all work is the subtle and "hidden" nature of the way the games are systematized. It's the random terrain and town seeds, pattern generation, face generation, who comes and goes.

They literally took everything that used to be a reactive and organic element of the game engine and said "HERE YOU GO, PLAYER! YOU CAN CHEAT NOW." and we just get to decide literally every thing right down to almost stats that determine what is in your world. This is a cop out. Almost none of these things are actually new features to the game or its engine, they just give you the keys to them. I was already a bit leery about the Mayor thing in NL but it was a nice balance between the generated and the player-driven content. This is like 100% more player-driven and it takes out too much of what made AC stand out from any other "SIM" franchise.

Very, very disappointed right now. It's like "Animal Crossing: Materialist Edition".

Really debating whether I am getting it day 1 now. I hope they mitigate this lameness via good post-launch support so there's still a sense of an immersive and ever-growing world that changes with the clock.
That's exactly how I feel too. Same game with cheats.

I mean, fine, but I'm not sure it's what got me to like AC in the first place..

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
EROgjFDUYAIbTTd

EROgjEpXYAYgut3

If Nintendo were to make a genuine reasonable-quality physical Tom Nook's Island Shirt in adult sizes, I would purchase it.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
The fuck is wrong with the Phoenix Wright dude disappointed at so many customization. Just don't customize if you want the same kind of experience you had on the other ones. What the fuck. It's just options. Don't create roads, don't terraform. Jesus Christ.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The pathing is fine but the mention of rivers and shit is like... ugh, just let the random seed be a random seed, and that really freshens everything up when you're too used to everything and finally start a new town.
Are we really at the point where we're complaining about the option to have the freedom to customize the island's geography to your liking?

Really?

Just don't use the tools!

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Any word on a digital preorder discount or gold coin deal or anything?

Also do we know what the file size will be?

This is the one game I'd prefer to have digital.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
I'm happy main street is done away with and the shops are all in town again.

Not happy my mail Pelicans went the way of the Dodo.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
"Optional but heavily UXed to let you frequently know 'hey you can do this too!'" kind of optional yeah, I don't need that.
It's so heavily UXed that people had to only sort of figure it out from advertisements, and... Nintendo revealed it in a video going over new features of the game, where they emphasized that it's for late-game only and optional.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't like the game's vibe right now. It's incensitivizing grinding, work and player-servicing which is the polar opposite of what the franchise originally was.
Thank god about that.
I just bought it becuase of that. Will probably stop playing when the "real" animal crossing game starts. I will never undertand people saying it was relaxing, from all what I played and how my friends played was playing every day to grind new furniture, insects, fish another shit if you wanted everything. I suppose if you are not one of those people that go for the 100% of the game if they are enjoying it at the start is relaxing, for me, it was like work.
Now I can build the whole island in the way I love, as personalizing and building in games is incredibly fun for me.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I've always just dabbled in Animal Crossing games, but I was hoping to make New Horizons the first one that I really sink my teeth into since my Switch is my most-played platform by a country mile. That said, all this time as new footage has slowly trickled out (culminating in today's Direct) I've had this nagging feeling of disappointment with the game's shift away from small-town life to a deserted island theme.

I haven't seen anyone else mention disapproval of this shift, but I was wondering if anyone else around here felt the same. As a deserted island starting from nothing, it feels like something more akin to a survival game than an Animal Crossing game. And I really, really don't enjoy survival games. Yes, I realize that it's still very much Animal Crossing, mechanically, but that "moving into a small town" vibe has always been one of the biggest draws of the series for me.

Anyone else feel similarly, or am I truly alone on this island? 😏

I got a strong impression that this is designed to evolve into a more conventional Animal Crossing Town over time as you progress through developing and improving the island.

Oct 29, 2017
People don't know what they want.

But I what I know I don't want is this. I'm not playing this to decide everything.

I'm so fucking bummed right now...

lol so you know what we want now as well? Jesus, people were dreaming of the day we could terraform our islands and by some fucking miracle it's now here!

I'm honestly surprised by the negativity from some people regarding the terraforming. If you don't like it you can completely ignore it's there and you can go and have your own vanilla experience with no problems at all.

lucionm

Jan 10, 2018
They nailed it. Potential to overcome the 20mi barrier.

Let's see how they solve the problem with Chinese assembly lines.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Asbsand is probably in the right on this one. It's kinda like going from the first two sims games to the fourth one. It has some interesting features but the spirit of the game has perhaps been taken away. I'm saying this as someone who isn't even that into Animal Crossing.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
it's just weird to complain about grinding in a series where the most efficient way to make money was to spend hours doing the same thing on a deserted island over and over again. Whether it's dropping fruit and waiting for your islander to drop cash bags, or hunting sharks/beetles until your inventory swelled.

Animal Crossing has always been grindy

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
To me this is like saying "Don't like shooting? Why don't you speedrun the level".
Not even remotely similar in any way. Nothing about this obliges you to participate in terraforming. It's completely and utterly optional. If the problem is you can't control yourself from partaking, that's on you. But the same exact AC experience can be had if that's what you really want.

Kaelan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
The fuck is wrong with the Phoenix Wright dude disappointed at so many customization. Just don't customize if you want the same kind of experience you had on the other ones. What the fuck. It's just options. Don't create roads, don't terraform. Jesus Christ.

LMAOOO I'm crying. You're 100% right tho,. It's just more options c'mon lol

fleet

Jan 2, 2019
I'm honestly surprised by the negativity from some people regarding the terraforming. If you don't like it you can completely ignore it's there and you can go and have your own vanilla experience with no problems at all.

this is probs what ill do. im not huge on the terraforming stuff so ill just leave it alone and make my island look as au natural as possible. very very hyped for this game. even though the terraforming stuff isnt for me, i know ill be seeing some absolutely insane island designs in the future. the content sharing is gonna be amazing.

side note: can we let people have different opinions on video games without dogpiling them lol

Resetti

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if known but console to console save data transfer is planned
- This game does not currently support the ability to transfer your save file from one Nintendo Switch console to another. However, a function specific to Animal Crossing: New Horizons to move users and save data to another console is planned for later this year.
www.nintendo.co.uk

Start your new island life!

Start your new life on a deserted island, where you can do as you please and craft your very own paradise, in Animal Crossing: New Horizons for Nintendo Switch!

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I'm so happy with everything shown today. So, so happy. The level of customization is astounding and it has basically fixed every issue I had with previous games. This next month is going to be so long.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Overall lots of good stuff with some odd bummers here and there. I can't believe that they took the one thing everyone hates most from Splatoon, the login news, and brought it here. That's the biggest disappointment for me, I thought we would be done with that after how much everyone ragged on it with Splatoon 2, but nope, now we have to listen to Tom Nook every day too

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
from all what I played and how my friends played was playing every day to grind new furniture, insects, fish another shit if you wanted everything.
I believe there's such a thing as "too much of a good thing" and this is that. I enjoyed the slow-paced, almost unachievable endgame of the original games. I played it to live in it, and I never ever saw the biggest upgrades and I liked it that way.

It's one of the few games where I'm still left wondering what else is in it that I never saw. Too many games over-access themselves and lets you spoil the illusions for yourself.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Like, just to say Hi? Is there anyway to coax them into living on your island?

Apologies if I'm late on information. Just started watching now!
No, the campground functions like it did in New Leaf so you can use the cards to get the villagers you want on your island. Some cards like the DJ KK card (and I guess other special characters) will not work at launch.

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watching the Kinda Funny watchalong, Gary Whitta just said of course Tom Nook is doing his morning propaganda broadcasts and I'm DEAD

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Can't waaaaaaiiiiiiit, so ridiculously excited for this and the new changes! Hope my island starter fruit is mango, would make me insanely happy.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
I was really expecting some kind of a city equivalent that you could fly to out of the airport. Based off the amiibo section, it looks like there will be special activities on some distant islands. I wonder if those will be random or unlocked as you go? Eg. Character visits your town, invites you back to their island