Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine going back ten years ago and telling everyone that the Killzone peeps would soon be running PlayStation.

(Congrats!)

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
So this isn't a console war question because I genuinely want a temperature check here:

Is there a future where the majority of PS's single player catalogue becomes Horizon, TLOU, GoW? Maybe one other? And will that draw criticisms in the same way Xbox's 'Gears, Halo, Forza' did for so long?
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Oct 27, 2017
It does, yep.

EDIT: oh wow I managed to quote the edit not the original message I was answering to lol

Lol, you were fast because I immediately realised my error!

But now I want to know what the original message was. 🤣

I misread your message and I thought you were talking about second party games using Decima and I was trying to be a smart arse saying that Call of the Mountain used UE4, not Decima!

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
So, Guerrilla will continue to be run by three directors, one of whom is a woman just like before.

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
Oh nice. From what I've seen, Angie is an extremely hard worker and a really good person to boot. Congrats to her!

Black Void

Sep 9, 2022
As long as Sony is not forcing anyone to use it, this could be great news.

We don't want another Frostbite
I don't think you have to worry about Sony forcing others to use Decima. I think other studios would want to use it because of it's versatility. The issues with Frostbite was basically mandated that all studios shift to using their in house engine to move away from using the Unreal Engine. The major issue with that shift was that all of the games that ran on Frostbite were first person shooters primarily. So getting the engine to do anything else was going to be difficult and frustrating. We can all look to Anthem and Mass Effect: Andromeda and their troubled development as examples of the problem. Decima started off the same too but branched out during the PS4 generation to become what it is now.

Smitch

The Unshakable Resolve of "this guy are sick"
Apr 21, 2022
I imagine Sony's investment in Epic comes with a discount, besides I think only Bend uses UE, unless any of their new studios do as well (Haven, maybe?).
haven, firewalk, firepsrite, pixel opus, Housemarque all use UE
Deviation (1st party game but the studio is not owned by Sony)

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
From the same news, another bit that someone should probably create a new thread about:

www.gamespot.com

Horizon Forbidden West Sequel in Development, Guerrilla Confirms

Guerrilla still has big plans to continue telling the story of Aloy and the world of Horizon.

"We have full confidence in our new leadership as they steer Guerrilla towards a bright future, expanding the world of Horizon with Aloy's next adventure and our exciting online project," Guerrilla casually announced.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
So this isn't a console war question because I genuinely want a temperature check here:

Is there a future where the majority of PS's single player catalogue becomes Horizon, TLOU, GoW? Maybe one other? And will that draw criticisms in the same way Xbox's 'Gears, Halo, Forza' did for so long?

This is so dumb

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil

It won't be like that. You must have forgotten that GoT and Horizon proved for them that new IP can be huge successes, Days Gone "flopped" so Bend will do something else, SSM and ND are already working on stuff other than their main franchise. Sure you can expect successful franchises to continue, but that's really overblown.

MeBecomingI

Oct 27, 2017
That's awesome. She's been around at Guerrilla for a long, long time and from everything I've heard and read about Guerrilla, she was the backbone of the company for a long ass time. This is a good decision.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It had a HARD time. Obviously the CG target video got ripped to shreds, but the actual delivered game looked outstanding. Some of the behind the scenes tech demo videos showing how they achieved the look of the game were really fascinating. Everybody joked about being able to unlock the Cell at the time, but Guerrilla really did it.

I feel like the single player was ok but the multiplayer was absolutely fantastic. Really solid. When KZ3 hit later, it didn't quite have the same traction - but it was a confusing time, Sony was trying to push 3D, competition for online game time was much harder to get. In fact, I guess that demonstrated why service gaming is really enticing if you can land a hit title - no need to push out a sequel that might not hit it, just keep pivoting the original.
Thank you for the in depth explanation, I wasn't aware of the videogames landscape back when this was released so the trailer thing was the only stuff that stuck with me

Oct 27, 2017

Man, I would have loved another ModNation Racers. It wasn't perfect and the loading times were awful, but it felt like a really good foundation for a considerably improved second instalment and the creation tools were fantastic.

Or hear me out: Daxter & Clank Karting, with a bunch of smaller or side characters from other PlayStation games - Bentley from Sly Cooper, Spike/Spectre from Ape Escape, Sackboy from LBP, one or two of the characters from Speed Freaks aka Speed Punks and one or two of the characters from ModNation Racers. And then have Knack as the shitty joke character. Get Sumo Digital to make it and baby, you've got a stew going!

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
Man, I would have loved another ModNation Racers. It wasn't perfect and the loading times were awful, but it felt like a really good foundation for a considerably improved second instalment and the creation tools were fantastic.

Or hear me out: Daxter & Clank Karting, with a bunch of smaller or side characters from other PlayStation games - Bentley from Sly Cooper, Spike/Spectre from Ape Escape, Sackboy from LBP, one or two of the characters from Speed Freaks aka Speed Punks and one or two of the characters from ModNation Racers. And then have Knack as the shitty joke character. Get Sumo Digital to make it and baby, you've got a stew going!

Yeah, it's a shame that the developers got another crack and what came out of it was Littlebigplanet Karting. That game could have been good, and had great customization (though not nearly as good as Modnation's) but the lack of speed just killed its appeal, imo. It was so slow that it just didn't work as a karting game, and that was that for Sony-inspired karting games, which is a disappointment, as I think Modnation was really onto something that could have been improved into something special.

Sucks that United Front closed down too, they were a talented studio. Modnation and Sleeping Dogs got a lot of playtime out of me.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's a shame that the developers got another crack and what came out of it was Littlebigplanet Karting. That game could have been good, and had great customization (though not nearly as good as Modnation's) but the lack of speed just killed its appeal, imo. It was so slow that it just didn't work as a karting game, and that was that for Sony-inspired karting games, which is a disappointment, as I think Modnation was really onto something that could have been improved into something special.

Sucks that United Front closed down too, they were a talented studio. Modnation and Sleeping Dogs got a lot of playtime out of me.

Agreed, I loved Sleeping Dogs. Excellent hand-to-hand combat, great story and characters and a really nice open world and side-activities that gave it a distinct sense of place and style compared to other open world games. The DLC was fantastic too! Huge shame that United Front closed down and if I were a publisher I would have definitely been looking to save them when they were in trouble.

I liked the style of LBP Karting better than ModNation but I didn't play it much because something felt off. I think it must have been a PS+ freebie at some point because I definitely didn't buy it. TBH I preferred United Front making their own game with a similar ethos to LBP (I think they said "Race, Create, Share" instead of LBP's "Play, Create, Share") rather than being beholden to make an LBP spin-off.