• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
My fathers phone is not connecting to any wifi. It says "failed to save network" when I try to connect... any ideas how to fix it? It's a Mi A2 but I dont think that matters.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
The Nokia 8.3 already got slammed for being "way too expensive" at 600€, having more or less the chipet/memory/features that the Pixel 5 is expected to have. Anything more than that (especially if coupled with a sub-par battery for like the 5th time in a row) and it's toast.
I blame the early rush to 5G and Qualcomm forcing everyone to buy the models with 5G modems, be internal or external.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
pocophone screen cracked and not really interested in replacing it again... looking real hard at the mi10 pro, which comes out to about 800 cad plus tax for the 8gb/256... anyone here have any experience with it?

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
I blame the early rush to 5G and Qualcomm forcing everyone to buy the models with 5G modems, be internal or external.

I might honestly get the best bang/buck 4G phone later this summer before the 5G craze settles in the upper midrange segment and we're forced to suffer horrible battery life and overheating chipsets like every single first gen of phones with a new cell technology, and this time for no real life gains.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
pocophone screen cracked and not really interested in replacing it again... looking real hard at the mi10 pro, which comes out to about 800 cad plus tax for the 8gb/256... anyone here have any experience with it?

Haven't tried it myself, but that doesn't seem like a bad deal at all. Overall reviews seem pretty positive and it's widely regarded as Xiaomi's first true flagship.

I always say that YMMV with Xiaomi phones, mostly due to MIUI, but since you are coming from a Pocophone then you're already used to it for better or wose.

Flossy seems to really like it (Major Major Major go). White Shoes approved.

So I just received my OnePlus 7 Pro and this is a wonderful phone. I don't see myself needing an upgrade for quite some time, this has everything I want on a phone. The speed is off the charts and the absence of a notch is sooo good. And 90Hz is the shit.

I'm still kicking myself for not buying one in December, to be honest.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
So I just received my OnePlus 7 Pro and this is a wonderful phone. I don't see myself needing an upgrade for quite some time, this has everything I want on a phone. The speed is off the charts and the absence of a notch is sooo good. And 90Hz is the shit.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Haven't tried it myself, but that doesn't seem like a bad deal at all. Overall reviews seem pretty positive and it's widely regarded as Xiaomi's first true flagship.

I always say that YMMV with Xiaomi phones, mostly do to MIUI, but since you are coming from a Pocophone then you're already used to it for better or wose.

Flossy seems to really like it. White Shoes approved.

lol nice. thx for the reply! yeah, my bad. i meant the mi note 10 pro smfh. damn confusing xiaomi naming lol. it's not nearly as nice as the mi10pro but i'm still excited for it.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Ah. It's got a nice display and the cameras are much better than the Poco F1 for sure. Performance might be a bit of a downgrade though.
yeah, i don't really game too much on mobile so a bit of a downgrade isn't the end of the world, but i sure do love a great battery and camera, so hope it's as good as the hype in those areas.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Speaking of Xiaomi, has anyone here with a Xiaomi device had trouble logging into their PSN accounts recently, either from Chrome or the apps like Second Screen or Remote Play?

I was logged out about a week ago, and trying to log back in gives me a 'server timed out' error. I can log in fine from my PC, using the same network. It's truly bizarre.

My fathers phone is not connecting to any wifi. It says "failed to save network" when I try to connect... any ideas how to fix it? It's a Mi A2 but I dont think that matters.

I think a factory restore might be in order. If not, it could be a hardware problem.

El_Chino

Oct 25, 2017
So after 3 and half years, my Gear S3 is on its last legs.

I was wondering should I buy the Galaxy Watch now or hold out for the New Galaxy Watch?

I depend on my smart watch on a day to day basis so would be difficult to hold out until August (at the earliest)

Oct 27, 2017
If you just do fitness/health tracking, I think one of the cheap xiaomi mi bands should be fine. Personally, I think it would make sense to wait until all the big 2020 smart watches are released before making a decision.

Since I also own a Samsung watch, what caused yours to die?

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I think a factory restore might be in order. If not, it could be a hardware problem.
Factory reset worked yay!

On a side note, I found out that, at least on Android 10, you can use the USB-C connection with an ethernet adapter to connect to the internet via cable which was great. Used it to backup all the Whatsapp conversations before factory resetting.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
So after 3 and half years, my Gear S3 is on its last legs.

I was wondering should I buy the Galaxy Watch now or hold out for the New Galaxy Watch?

I depend on my smart watch on a day to day basis so would be difficult to hold out until August (at the earliest)
I bought mine in January. Update is probably not going to be that major. Maybe it'll add ECG and stuff, but if that's worth the added cost is up for debate. The current Watch gets some great deals, so that's also a factor.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I might honestly get the best bang/buck 4G phone later this summer before the 5G craze settles in the upper midrange segment and we're forced to suffer horrible battery life and overheating chipsets like every single first gen of phones with a new cell technology, and this time for no real life gains.
Pretty much why I went for a S10+ on Swappa.

cLOUDo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
anyone have experience with the Realme X2 Pro?
is the only cheap flagkiller here where i live

betwen this and the mi note 10 pro, which should i preffer?

Last edited:

Kaiyo

Oct 25, 2017

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
Significantly bigger Note is good but I will not update my Note 9 for an O bezel one

The thing I need the most is a new laptop, my Note 9 is better than my Yoga 720 in everything except the screen size

I bought mine in January. Update is probably not going to be that major. Maybe it'll add ECG and stuff, but if that's worth the added cost is up for debate. The current Watch gets some great deals, so that's also a factor.
Do you have the Galaxy Watch 2? Can you see if there's a Nike Run Club app and if it works? I'm doing a lot of exercises with that app lately because I want to hit 10 Km for my bd next month and at least a semi-marathon for my 33yo next year

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
My original plan of holding out two years for flagship phones to move past notches and punchholes is looking more dire by the day. I don't think my Note 9's battery is going to continue being an all-day battery for another year, but I desparately don't want to buy a phone with a hole in the screen.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
My original plan of holding out two years for flagship phones to move past notches and punchholes is looking more dire by the day. I don't think my Note 9's battery is going to continue being an all-day battery for another year, but I desparately don't want to buy a phone with a hole in the screen.

Yeah, I think the only SD865 with a popup camera is the Poco F2. It's a shame that OnePlus got infected as well. After the beauty of the OP 7 Pro, it's a shame to see them ruin that beautiful display. The OP8 Pro would be pretty much perfect otherwise.

Interestingly, gaming phones are the only phones left with bezels housing the front facing camera, though the neon green LEDs gamer aesthetic really turns me off.

Maybe the ROG III will end up being interesting.

Kaiyo

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I think the only SD865 with a popup camera is the Poco F2. It's a shame that OnePlus got infected as well. After the beauty of the OP 7 Pro, it's a shame to see them ruin that beautiful display. The OP8 Pro would be pretty much perfect otherwise.

Interestingly, gaming phones are the only phones left with bezels housing the front facing camera, though the neon green LEDs gamer aesthetic really turns me off.

Maybe the ROG III will end up being interesting.

Don't forget about the Xperia 1 II.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Don't forget about the Xperia 1 II.
This is the first time I've heard of this, seems hyper-focused on phone photography and not much else, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, it worked for Google after all. But damn, at first blush this phone looks pretty damn sexy. No notch/punchhole, true stereo speakers, 21:9 screen, headphone jack, dedicated fingerprint reader,this thing ticks all the hardware boxes for me except perhaps for a high refresh-rate screen.

I know next to nothing about Sony Android phones, how have Xperia phones been received in the last few years? And what flavor of Android are they using? Do they have their own skin, or is it stock?

Last edited:

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yep, imo the best phone I've ever had and kind of surprised to see negative comments on it in here.

Be sure to put the newest gcam port on it with the Astro mode.

Only minor issue I had shortly after getting it was battery life seemed a bit short, but I think it just needed a break in. Lasts all day no problem now. I did have to optimize some apps instead of using the intelligent control, it's good about letting you know which apps are running in the background and draining battery though so it's easy to improve battery life by switching them to optimize mode.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
This is the first time I've heard of this, seems hyper-focused on phone photography and not much else, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, it worked for Google after all. But damn, at first blush this phone looks pretty damn sexy. No notch/punchhole, true stereo speakers, 21:9 screen, headphone jack, dedicated fingerprint reader,this thing ticks all the hardware boxes for me except perhaps for a high refresh-rate screen.

I know next to nothing about Sony Android phones, how have Xperia phones been received in the last few years? And what flavor of Android are they using? Do they have their own skin, or is it stock?

They don't skin their phones anymore.

It's probably a pretty good phone, though you have to pay to play. Like you said, it has a heavy emphasis on photography, but it's more of a 'pro' phone, compared to the point and shoot approach of most phones like the iPhone or the Pixel.

Here's an early hands-on video with its cameras

Last edited:

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
Yep, imo the best phone I've ever had and kind of surprised to see negative comments on it in here.

Only minor issue I had shortly after getting it was battery life seemed a bit short, but I think it just needed a break in. Lasts all day no problem now. I did have to optimize some apps instead of using the intelligent control, it's good about letting you know which apps are running in the background and draining battery though so it's easy to improve battery life by switching them to optimize mode.
What is that gcam port?

Edit: Nevermind I found it.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty

I use GCAM on my Mi 9T Pro (which has the same sensor on the main cam, the Sony IMX586, as the OnePlus 7 family and the OP8) and it is miraculous how much it improves image quality, colors, white balance and dynamic range compared to the stock camera. It's really stricking.

Only problem with GCam is that it doesn't have perspective correction on the ultrawide (because no Pixel phone has ever had an ultrawide, presumably, so no reason for them to implement that feature) so while image quality is miles better than the stock camera, they come out distorted around the edges.

I presume the stock camera of the OP 7 Pro is better than the stock camera of the Mi 9T Pro, despite having similar hardware.

What is that gcam port?

Edit: Nevermind I found it.

There's a ton of ports, but the best one for the IMX 586 is probably Urnyx05's. It has support for all 3 cameras out of the box, two, and custom profiles for the OnePlus 7 Pro.

Rewrite

Oct 26, 2017
Fontana, California
I legit can't believe I'm almost going to own my 6T for 2 years and even then I still don't feel the actual NEED to upgrade to a newer phone. This phone has honestly been one of the best phones I've ever owned. It is still smooth, getting updates, and my battery life still holds up almost two years later. The only shitty thing is the haptic engine imo. I'm taking the wait and see approach to see if there's going to be a 8T and see what that offers.

maloney

Oct 28, 2017
Hi all, I'm a long term lurker and I'm looking for a bit of advice.
My wife's contract is coming to an end she currently has an S9. We've always been a bit of a Samsung family but the S20 is way over priced and even the S10 is still pricey. The Oneplus is only available on contract through 3 and I'm not impressed with their coverage (my current contract is with 3).

So in my search for a cheap (under £30 a month) alternative I've been looking at Huawei and Honour 20 pro. I know the Huawei doesn't have Google so that rules it out.

So that leaves the Honor 20 pro... It's cheap and looks like a pretty good phone on paper. I can't seem to find a definitive answer if it has Google play store though.

So TL;DR does anyone have an Honor 20 pro? And what is your experience like?

cLOUDo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
between the Oneplus 7t pro and the oneplus 8
which one is better? (the price is kinda the same here)

My doubst are
OP7t pro
- better screen
- doesnt have notch

OP 8
- better processor
- flat screen and matte back design (i dont like the dual edge curve display on phones)

TheDoctor

Oct 27, 2017
So that leaves the Honor 20 pro... It's cheap and looks like a pretty good phone on paper. I can't seem to find a definitive answer if it has Google play store though.
Honor 20 was the last Google certified phone before the trade restrictions. There have been other Huawei phones with Google apps and services since, but those are rebranded/recycled older models with slightly updated specs (see: P30 Pro "New Edition").

There are a bunch of new phones being released by OPPO (Find X2 Neo/Lite) around this time. You might be able to get those on a contract under £30.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. Night Mode is worth the hype. Took this picture on my front porch with my S20+, no lights except a tiny bit of the indoor light from my living room spilling out, but otherwise extremely dark outside.

20200531-213838.jpg

Coming from my S8, whose camera still impressed me honestly, this is amazing.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
between the Oneplus 7t pro and the oneplus 8
which one is better? (the price is kinda the same here)

My doubst are
OP7t pro
- better screen
- doesnt have notch

OP 8
- better processor
- flat screen and matte back design (i dont like the dual edge curve display on phones)
I'd probably go with the 8 as someone who just got a 7 Pro (on a great sale).

I definitely prefer flat/flatter screens. I liked my S10e a lot so going back to a phone with edges as curved as the 7 Pro is kind of annoying (glare, accidental touches, etc.).

Not having a notch/hole-punch is nice on the 7, but the auto-brightness sucks and I'm guessing that's part of the problem.
I got used to the S10e's hole-punch camera really quickly, and the OnePlus 8's looks even smaller.

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. Night Mode is worth the hype. Took this picture on my front porch with my S20+, no lights except a tiny bit of the indoor light from my living room spilling out, but otherwise extremely dark outside.

20200531-213838.jpg

Coming from my S8, whose camera still impressed me honestly, this is amazing.

My Exynos Note 9 camera is bad, very bad, very very bad