• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the 'latest operating system" just got a chime for charging... something that those sooooo far behind custom ROMS had since FroYo

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
Security updates are the main thing that matters.

I say this as an actual Android developer.

This.

the 'latest operating system" just got a chime for charging... something that those sooooo far behind custom ROMS had since FroYo

And this.

Just to be clear, I'm not a Samsung costumer and I'm not defending the company.

It's just the whole argument of "out of date" OS from a just released product (Note 9) that I disagree with. I don't think the Pixel 2 is inherently a better choice just because it's more up to date with software releases.

And I don't think the Pixel 3 will be better either, specially because the "best smartphone" varies greatly from personal preferences.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what makes software more up-to-dater?

the newest, best, most useful features?

or a higher number from Google?

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just got the update on my Gear Sport.

Supposedly it fixes the over charge issue on all S3/Sport watches + stability and security fixes.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I just got my Gear S3 Classic (LTE) from ebay.
It's in great condition and it's not as big as I was afraid it would be. Still getting used to the interface and figuring out what all i can do with it.

The lack of apps is a bit of a bummer so far, I'd like at least a podcast app, but haven't found anything yet. Spotify can do podcasts, but apparently they don't work on the Gear (plus I don't have a premium Spotify account, so I can't do anything with the app on the S3). I might be able to set the Pocket Cast download location to the folder that let's you transfer music from the phone to the watch.
At least it has apps for navigation, fitness, and all the more basic stuff I'd want from a smartwatch.
With any luck the new Galaxy Watch will lead to a few more apps getting made or updates to existing ones.

Samsung Pay is a big reason I bought this and so far its worked great! I'm considering getting an iPhone later this year so since this is the LTE version I think I can keep the Samsung Pay functionality if I decide to connect it to my provider.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
how are you going to add a card to the watch without Apple's permission?

remember, you have to format and set it up again before you pair it with the iPhone.

speaking of formatting, why is the Samsung Gear backup and restore functionality so so so far ahead of Android Wear?

man, setting up my Huawei Watch with another phone was a PAIN

Gear Fit2? EZPZ. Gear S3? EZPZ.

Jazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I just got my Gear S3 Classic (LTE) from ebay.
It's in great condition and it's not as big as I was afraid it would be. Still getting used to the interface and figuring out what all i can do with it.

The lack of apps is a bit of a bummer so far, I'd like at least a podcast app, but haven't found anything yet. Spotify can do podcasts, but apparently they don't work on the Gear (plus I don't have a premium Spotify account, so I can't do anything with the app on the S3). I might be able to set the Pocket Cast download location to the folder that let's you transfer music from the phone to the watch.
At least it has apps for navigation, fitness, and all the more basic stuff I'd want from a smartwatch.
With any luck the new Galaxy Watch will lead to a few more apps getting made or updates to existing ones.

Samsung Pay is a big reason I bought this and so far its worked great! I'm considering getting an iPhone later this year so since this is the LTE version I think I can keep the Samsung Pay functionality if I decide to connect it to my provider.
https://www.zdnet.com/product/samsung-gear-s2-3g/

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
how are you going to add a card to the watch without Apple's permission?
remember, you have to format and set it up again before you pair it with the iPhone.
If I ever did switch from Android I'd pay my carrier to get my S3 on a data plan so I could still use Samsung Pay without needing to pair it with the iPhone. I made sure the Gear S3 I bought had LTE and was compatible with my carrier (T-Mobile).

Plus I'm not planning on getting rid of my current Android (my Z Play's battery is just too good), so even if I didn't get the data plan I could pair the watch to that (or just the wifi) and I'd be able to use Samsung Pay 4 times before needing it connect again.

Of course that's all assuming I still use the watch after a few months. It's my first "wearable" so I've only had it a day.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Underground
Poweramp 3.0 has been promised since 2015 or something like that. Actually releasing it after all these years is actually the most shocking thing in Android this year. I'm serious.
I never expected this update to actually ever come out. I've just stuck with this for local music due to familiarity, despite there being a number of other good music apps released in that time.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I ever did switch from Android I'd pay my carrier to get my S3 on a data plan so I could still use Samsung Pay without needing to pair it with the iPhone. I made sure the Gear S3 I bought had LTE and was compatible with my carrier (T-Mobile).

Plus I'm not planning on getting rid of my current Android (my Z Play's battery is just too good), so even if I didn't get the data plan I could pair the watch to that (or just the wifi) and I'd be able to use Samsung Pay 4 times before needing it connect again.

Of course that's all assuming I still use the watch after a few months. It's my first "wearable" so I've only had it a day.
but not pairing it with the phone on you means you don't get to see the notificatons...

MORE_FPS

Mar 14, 2018
I wish you could hid the small bar that appears with gesture navigation, otherwise it didn't take long for me to get used to them. so, far I'm liking it.

Michilin

Nov 14, 2017
Are Xiaomi phones really good or they just sell a lot because India and China are huge markets? Tempted to get a Mi A2 Lite to replace my dying Z Play.

I would get a Z3 Plus but the price is way higher than the other Z's at launch and no headphone jack, G6 Plus could be an option, but Motorola only committed to one Android update and the phone is only 4 months old.

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
Xiaomi phones are great at their price though I'll grant that I'd probably never really buy a device from a Chinese company.

MORE_FPS

Mar 14, 2018
Are Xiaomi phones really good or they just sell a lot because India and China are huge markets? Tempted to get a Mi A2 Lite to replace my dying Z Play.

I would get a Z3 Plus but the price is way higher than the other Z's at launch and no headphone jack, G6 Plus could be an option, but Motorola only committed to one Android update and the phone is only 4 months old.

why not get the regular a2? xiaomi makes good hardware, but miui is just nasty. Thankfully there's android one editions. Even the lite is good, but the 625 is really showing it's age now.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017

Xiaomi phones are usually good quality for the price, yet their Android One history (just the Mi A1 so far) is far from stellar regarding bugs and timings, but it could be blamed on the fact that it was released with 7.1 and no Treble support which might have stunted it a bit or made things difficult in order to update monthly. Otherwise the Mi A2 Lite could be a good option, I've been playing with one at a store today and it looked good, and a SD625 + 4k battery means killer battery life but take into account it would be a sidegrade over your Z Play: IIRC both have exactly the same chipset.

If your only option is the G6, I'd go for Xiaomi. The Motorola brand is as Chinese now as Xiaomi under Lenovo after all but be careful with the LTE support since those phones are designed for the EMEA/APAC markets first and almost always are missing some crucial band required by USA carriers. Also, if you don't mind a slightly smaller screen and 16:9 ratio, you can also get a Nokia 6.1 for a little bit more. The additional money will buy you a slightly better chipset, 5GHz wifi support, NFC and a USB-C port (though you'd be back to a 3k battery)

Edit: if you've got the money (and you're in a market where it's available), the Nokia 7+ literally has it all regarding mid-range specs, and it's probably the best phone available right now just before stepping up to the SD8xx series.

Last edited:

Jazzy

Oct 25, 2017

That sounds like alot of work for not that much benefit. Look Samsung Pay is great and all but more and more places accept Google Pay now and on the watch you don't even get the Samsung Pay rewards. Good for you if you wanna invest all that work into using it but man it sounds like a pain in the ass.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ever since Samsung downsized their reward payouts it's just been sorta meh.

Plus I never thought swiping my card which I always have on me was that big of a hassle in the first place.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Xiaomi phones are usually good quality for the price, yet their Android One history (just the Mi A1 so far) is far from stellar regarding bugs and timings, but it could be blamed on the fact that it was released with 7.1 and no Treble support which might have stunted it a bit or made things difficult in order to update monthly. Otherwise the Mi A2 Lite could be a good option, I've been playing with one at a store today and it looked good, and a SD625 + 4k battery means killer battery life but take into account it would be a sidegrade over your Z Play: IIRC both have exactly the same chipset.

If your only option is the G6, I'd go for Xiaomi. The Motorola brand is as Chinese now as Xiaomi under Lenovo after all but be careful with the LTE support since those phones are designed for the EMEA/APAC markets first and almost always are missing some crucial band required by USA carriers. Also, if you don't mind a slightly smaller screen and 16:9 ratio, you can also get a Nokia 6.1 for a little bit more. The additional money will buy you a slightly better chipset, 5GHz wifi support, NFC and a USB-C port (though you'd be back to a 3k battery)

Edit: if you've got the money (and you're in a market where it's available), the Nokia 7+ literally has it all regarding mid-range specs, and it's probably the best phone available right now just before stepping up to the SD8xx series.
This right here. If you're in the market for a Xiaomi A2, just save up a bit more and buy a Nokia 7 Plus. Better build quality, Micro SD slot, Headphone Jack and a lot more features.

Otherwise, if you are aiming lower on the price braket, the A2 Lite is a bogus phone. Yes its stock Android, but if you're gonna buy a cheap Xiaomi, juat go for the Redmi Note 5. Yes its MIUI, but for lower than ~200$/£/€ you're getting a solid SD636 powered device. The A2 Lite is ridiculous, a notch phone power3d by the SD625.

Jazzy

Oct 25, 2017
The static ones suck but they have promos all the time that nets you gift cards and shit.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Poweramp 3.0 has been promised since 2015 or something like that. Actually releasing it after all these years is actually the most shocking thing in Android this year. I'm serious.
As a 3.0 Beta user since 2016, yeah this was huge. I have it installed for god knows what reason, personally prefer Neutron, and one day it just updated. Still dunno wether its worth it to switch over again.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Again, I'll only go to all that trouble to use the Gear S3 if I end up liking it A LOT. I can see myself using it more as a fashion accessory than a functional thing (like a regular watch) in all honesty.

I look at Samsung Pay more as a safety net than a full credit card replacement. I went to Italy and France a few years ago and lost my wallet the second day of the vacation. There were still places that didn't work with Samsung Pay (places that didn't have NFC, but did only had plug in card readers), but there were a lot more than places that had NFC. I was actually surprised by the lack of NFC, I thought I'd heard that Europe adopted that stuff a lot more widely than America.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Paying $1000-$1250 + tax for a phone..nah I'm good especially this close to 5G phones. Samsung will probably have some kind of promo to have it for $500-$600 within a month or two though. Can't imagine that many people buying this. S9 sales were already soft.

TheDoctor

Oct 27, 2017
I look at Samsung Pay more as a safety net than a full credit card replacement. I went to Italy and France a few years ago and lost my wallet the second day of the vacation. There were still places that didn't work with Samsung Pay (places that didn't have NFC, but did only had plug in card readers), but there were a lot more than places that had NFC. I was actually surprised by the lack of NFC, I thought I'd heard that Europe adopted that stuff a lot more widely than America.
I believe Samsung Pay only works in like 4-5 European countries.

Mobile payments can be hit and miss in Europe. Each country has its own mobile wallet which works with either NFC or scanning a QR code. Those local apps usually don't work across borders (physical debit cards do). Google Pay and Glase do support cross-border payments, but both aren't widely accepted across the continent. For Google Pay it's mostly a cost issue (higher payment processing fees). Smaller retailers tend to block credit card payments on their (NFC) terminals.

Last edited:

GoldenCat

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I find more issues with Fortnite the more I play it. Shoot buttons don't even work half the time and random disconnects. Tragic.

Anyone here with a XZ2 Premium? Is the camera really on par with the other flagships in general or were some people just over-hyping it?

shinshoryuken

Nov 13, 2017
Man, I find more issues with Fortnite the more I play it. Shoot buttons don't even work half the time and random disconnects. Tragic.

Anyone here with a XZ2 Premium? Is the camera really on par with the other flagships in general or were some people just over-hyping it?

Yes, it's on par or better than other flagship.
In my opinion the low performance is overrated though.
For taking video its good and the front facing camera is amazing. Ive always hated the Xperia camera, but the xz2 premium actually delivered. It's the only reason I'm keeping it rather than keep using my Razer phone.

shinshoryuken

Nov 13, 2017
https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/...ing-issues-quick-chargers-android-pie-update/

Pie update seems to be breaking fast charging on pixel 1

Updates are great!

Lol been reading some of the post and it's laughable how some people still think highly of updates and stock Androids(they go hand in hand) . Specially how crappy the Pixel line is.

All the people I know IRL who has a pixel 2xl has burn ins now, and these are the same people who thought the issue was overblown. No dayam updates will make me want to use a phone with burn in after a few months. I should ask them about the slow downs.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
I never understood the love for the pixel. I want more phones like the essential as it feels quality and is still stock Android.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've had both Pixel XL models and love them. They are worth $600 max though. Won't buy the 3XL if it actually comes out with 4GB ram. That's unacceptable at premium pricing in 2018. The double sized notch and forced gestures just cements the decision. If they say it's under $600 or release a model with 6GB or 8GB ram as well I might still bite though due to camera and security updates.

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
Lol been reading some of the post and it's laughable how some people still think highly of updates and stock Androids(they go hand in hand) . Specially how crappy the Pixel line is.

All the people I know IRL who has a pixel 2xl has burn ins now, and these are the same people who thought the issue was overblown. No dayam updates will make me want to use a phone with burn in after a few months. I should ask them about the slow downs.

Stock Android - and specially Pixel updates - are super overrated.

shinshoryuken

Nov 13, 2017
Stock Android - and specially Pixel updates - are super overrated.

I've been saying that for years now...
Some stock Android loyalist are worst than apple.
They tend to lean on what ever Google say and get caught up with marketing terms.

"Project butter will make stock android super smooth" "new battery management on Android xx will make my Nexus 4 run forever!" "Android xx will bring new functionality" (that samsung implemented 2 gen ago) blah blah..
"Stock android on pixel XL 2 makes it the smoothest android experience.." (but only for a few months..)

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
Alright, ever since I installed Pie on my OG Pixel XL, apps keep on minimizing randomly during use, and I have to reopen them. It's really irritating when I'm gaming. Is there anytbian I can do about that?

Also, fat chance, but does anyone with an OG Pixel play Pokemon Go with a Go Plus or Go-Tcha? Because I can't get mine to link worth a damn after the update. :(

Thanks!