DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Actually I rescind my earlier post, I forgot this scene existed so the game is actually art

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
He obviously thinks he is 'smarter' than everyone else. A humble, actual artist - imo - would response to any negative comments explaining their point of view, as opposed to how this guy handled it by calling people assaulting his game stupid.

The funny thing about that is that he actually did do that and he got attacked for doing that as well. I don't have a direct link to it, but he was hosting an AMA or QA session earlier and people got on him for doing that, even though it was largely due to requests from other people in the first place.

Kindekuma

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
YIIK is trash and the creator should learn to not blame his audience for the failure of it and instead learn what went wrong and improve for later titles. We don't need another Phil Fish incident.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
one of the most popular anime of all time - neon genesis evangelion - has a main character who is generally deemed as unlikeable, or at least from what I've seen and heard from people around me (I personally like him)
this guy is entitled and stupid. and the game looks pretty bad

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
bullshit. As if people havent tried making unlikeable characters with a redemption arc. These kind of things take balance.

This guy failed and blamed everyone for not understanding his vision.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
The funny thing about that is that he actually did do that and he got attacked for doing that as well. I don't have a direct link to it, but he was hosting an AMA or QA session earlier and people got on him for doing that, even though it was largely due to requests from other people in the first place.

dang you mean people got on to him about responding calmly about it??? that's messed up.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I dunno if you were in the discourse around the game when it launched, but, despite this interview, I still firmly believe that this game was massively overly-derided when it launched for very little reason. The talking points around this game were incredibly toxic in a way that I think was genuinely unfair to the game.

Well, atleast we know that the dev did a piece of shit character on purpose. By the screenshots of dialogues in this thread, it's clear that the game gets on really sensible subjects in a not very mature way. It's hard to be sure about stuff like this without the complete context tho, which makes me even more curious to play it.

Internet talk will always be full of toxicness and hyperbole, but lots of fair criticism are often treated like "SJW triggering" by bigots (talking in general, dunno about this game specifically), and the way dev seems to react to criticism doesn't paint a good scenario for him at this regard, imo.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
one of the most popular anime of all time - neon genesis evangelion - has a main character who is generally deemed as unlikeable, or at least from what I've seen and heard from people around me (I personally like him)

I mean, I don't like Shinji, but the giant robots are still cool!

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From what I saw, the character is unlikable to almost a parody point, he dosn't just acts like a 'bad person', he acts like one of these villains from teen school dramas. That dialogue about depression and loss, sounds like it was taken from some troll twitter account, rather than some human being would say to another face to face.

Allanson confirmed to be a red-pill shithead

Cian

One Winged Slayer
Feb 17, 2018
Earlier in the podcast, the dev reveals that the host of the podcast he's on is a hidden npc in the game, and finding him allows you to get a secret third ending where-in you take a Red Pill.

I wish I was joking.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Shinji is a lonely kid with issues related to abandonment, belonging, and general sense of self-worth who at the age of fourteen is asked to repeatedly get in a giant robot and fight for all humanity.

Memes dunking on Shinji gloss over the fact that he's a kid dragged into something that he was never prepared for by any reasonable stretch.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Earlier in the podcast, the dev reveals that the host of the podcast he's on is a hidden npc in the game, and finding him allows you to get a secret third ending where-in you take a Red Pill.

I wish I was joking.
epogpoargpogr
this is some poe's law shit right here

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
When you try to roast your audience for not getting that you wrote your game with some level of self-awareness... By saying that no one understood your game because the entire medium cannot and will never be art

It's not so much that games aren't art, it's much more that many gamers don't care about the art aspect. I guess he's frustrated that the medium isn't as mature as actual art mediums like film, painting and sculpture etc. I don't think videogames will actually ever have a very art appreciative audience because the medium is now existing for like almost half a century

edit: Maybe the game just bombed financially and he's lashing out I guess

What does that have to do with this guy's game and the reaction to it

Last edited:

Hella

Oct 27, 2017

I wish I was joking.
oh god

DNAbro the third ending has been found. Your post in the YIIK OT has turned out to be prophetic:
Curiously the dev has been talking about a 3rd secret ending in Twitter that nobody has found but considering nobody is playing or talking about it anymore, probably a good reason why.
(and thanks again for all your words on YIIK. they've been very intersting to read.)

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
Shinji is a lonely kid with issues related to abandonment, belonging, and general sense of self-worth who at the age of fourteen is asked to repeatedly get in a giant robot and fight for all humanity.

Memes dunking on Shinji gloss over the fact that he's a kid dragged into something that he was never prepared for by any reasonable stretch.
yeah, exactly. He's well written and I think accurately depicts a child that would be put in his situation. He may do things that would frustrate the viewer, but its justified and makes for a great narrative

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018

I wish I was joking.

Wh... what?

Guys, this is the REAL thread news. Forget all the rest of it.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Wow. Fuck this guy and fuck his terrible videogame.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru

Shinji is the deconstruction of the stereotypical mecha anime protagonist (at the time) so I found him refreshing the first time I watched the series.

I can understand why people who watched the show in recent years find him annoying though since we have had more variety in heroes since then and Shinji CAN be a bit too whiny at times.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

I wish I was joking.
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat
Theeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Feb 12, 2019
In some sense, I can understand this guy's case of sour grapes. You put out your aggressively quirky hipster Earthbound RPG that you spent years working on, only to have it savaged on certain corners of the internet. I'm sure that's frustrating. That's about where my sympathy stops though. If you're gonna pull the auteur "I was trying to make basically the video game equivalent of a Chuck Palahniuk novel or a Hiruki Murakami novel" card, then you're going to have to be able to deal with the criticism that comes from trying to make something you consider "challenging." You're also going to have to grapple with the fact that you aren't Chuck Palahniuk or Hiruki Murakami.

I wish I was joking.
WELP. Nevermind. Forget anything I said about having sympathy for this guy.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017

I wish I was joking.

are you fucking kidding me

oh god

DNAbro the third ending has been found. Your post in the YIIK OT has turned out to be prophetic:

(and thanks again for all your words on YIIK. they've been very intersting to read.)

I tried my best considering I'm like 1 of 2 people on this site who finished this controversial game. If anyone has any questions I will try to answer them.

DNAbro, its time for you to go back in and find this shit

giphy.gif

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
I spent a lot of time trying to find the specific Tweet, so I'm gonna post one that I found that I think is relevant to dissuading the idea that Alex being awful wasn't intentional, but the topic is gonna go into the third ending and I'm not properly equipped for THAT convo.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru

I wish I was joking.
I think it might be more of a direct reference to The Matrix more than the other meaning the term got over the years.

Either way, I'm offended because of how heavy-handed the whole execution is.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

I wish I was joking.
It just keeps getting more fascinating.

Bossking

Nov 20, 2017
Oh god, I found this tweet from February.

That's apparently Dick Masterson, host of that podcast. This third ending might not actually be a joke.

Dick pic for comparison.

2018-08-15_5-28-22.png

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Ofc he went on the Dick Show, of all places. Needed a good echo chamber to vent, I guess.

I felt bad when this type of stuff happens to games that are niche and hard to market like Where the Water Turns to Wine. Andrew Allanson and YIIK can fuck off.
What the actual fuck? (This is legit my response)

Who the fuck thinks it's ok to say something like that to someone who's grieving?
Internet tabloid/young boomer Killer Keemstar
1236lz4alft21.png