• If you have been following the news, you should be aware that the people of Lebanon have been under a violent bombardment that has recently escalated. Please consider donating to help them if you can or trying to spread word of the fundraiser.

Argentil

Oct 27, 2017
Keep in mind that Sony also cares about IP for the value it can give them to be used for TV/film/anime. If they really are looking to acquire someone big then there's a reasonable chance that that big company will own IP that Sonys other divisions can utilize.
Insomniac, Haven, Deviation, Firesprite, Housemarque etc. These studios all had no IPs to offer Sony. Sony are hiring expertise and talent more than anything else right now. The Bungie deal is even an indicator of this because Destiny, their only IP, will continue to release across all platforms. They grabbed Bungie for their talent and skills in online service and multiplayer FPS.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What we know from Sony's moves so far:
- They are on a GAAS bent
- They value talent and are spending the money to retain it (look at how much they spent for talent retention on Bungie)
- They still want to make narrative single-player experiences, though maybe not as stringently as before
- They are taking PC releases more seriously, even buying an entire support studio in Nixxes to facilitate that
- They like buying young, partnered studios staffed by experienced industry vets, like Firesprite and Haven
- Sony like to turn their IPs into other media like movies and TV. They value cross media appeal

What studio or publisher can cover all or most of these?
Sounds like Ubisoft to me.

Plus, Ubisoft is at a similar crossroads - or rather dead-end - at which Activision was when it got acquired by MS: they have a lot a valuable modern and classic IPs but they don't seem to know what to do with them anymore. The yearly churn out of ACs and FCs clearly yielded increasingly diminishing returns for them and they haven't struck gold with the GaaS-focused strategy either yet. Moreover, they are cheaper than ever at the moment and Guillemot recently almost begged for an acquisition in an interview.

Edit: I don't know a lot about stock market reality though so there might well be a huge thing that would rule out Ubisoft here that I don't see.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
How much you'd pay for Kojima Productions would severely be limited by how many games you expect out of him. He's nearly sixty. How many games are you realistically get out of him for your money before he retires? Two more? Three? He's probably not going to want to still be making games in his seventies.

And let's be honest, you wouldn't be buying KojiPro for the rest of the talent or wealth of IP. Sony already own Death Stranding.
Yeah. Kojima Productions appeal rests almost entirely on one man who is quickly approaching retirement age. Buying KojiPro rests a lot on how much faith you have in the younger staff to carry the studio forward when Kojima retires in ~10 years.
His sentiment about retirement may change in a few years (it's doubtful), but a ton of blind trust was placed in Kojima when Sony decided to support him from 2015 and through to now.

Not only this, but plenty of what has been achieved since he left Konami has been a result of hiring a team of people he respects and trusts to fulfill his vision.

2012 -
"I don't have any intention of retiring - until the day I die I will be making games."

2019 -
"Kojima wants to create games until he dies."

2021 -
"My creativity is not waning yet. Until my brain loses its creative power, I'll continue to strive to create things. That's my instinct, and that's what I love to do."

Argentil

Oct 27, 2017
If I were being honest, a KojiPro acquisition wouldn't make the most sense unless they had an amazing project in the works. I feel like the studio is overvalued, and as has been mentioned a few posts earlier, Hideo Kojima is nearing retirement age. Unfortunately his name and involvement is what gives the studio value even if their games turn out great. I also mentioned that the studio is overvalued because Kojima is not the kind of creative to work on a sensible budget. I'd love to see him come down to earth and stop using celebrities with high end performance capture. It would be really interesting to see if he can make innovative games without relying on a massive budget.

Edit: The post above does make a good point, but even if he continued to work well into his 70's, you'd still only get a few games out of him. There's no guarantee KojiPro will establish themselves and flourish without relying on the Kojima in their Productions. I think they would, especially if Kojima himself started sharing the spotlight and highlighting talent, but it's nowhere near guaranteed.

Last edited:

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
Limit or not. Microsoft, Amazon or Apple would never allow for Sony ro buy Take Two, they would just outbid them.
While MS could legally bid on another major third party doing so is a great way to get both it and the ABK acquisition drug into a massively long investigation/approval process with both US and European regulators.

And where have Amazon or Apple put real money behind video games? They talk the talk in cycles but neither has ever put even 1/10th of what T2 would require up as a stake for a VG venture. Not to say they won't, but seems unlikely that they'll go from almost zero VG publishing investment to buying a major 3rd party just to avoid it getting bought by Sony.

Especially when Amazon and Apple would be far, far more interested in SONY than T2.

Konami to me is too expensive, Kojima wants multiplatform and wasnt there rumblings Kojimas next game may have some sort of deal with MS. Capcom would be a get and with Sonys move on evo could be one.
I think any interest a VG company would have in Konami would amount to buying a spun off VG division holding the IP rights they're interested in, likely with a co-utilization deal letting Konami keep monetizing the existing non-home VG market uses they've already established for them. At that point its far less expensive than the $9B market cap because the purchase is for almost none of Konami's current revenue streams.

Still, Sony can get access to compelling IP without writing Konami a check in the billions.

Oct 29, 2017
If you want to evaluate what Sony has purchased so far, here's the main logical reasonings behind the acquisitions that have happened in the past year:
Housemarque, Bluepoint, Valkyrie: very close familiarity with First Party development
Nixxes, Haven, Bungie: major experience with a relatively unfamilliar/unsuccessful territory (Nixxes with PC ports, Haven and Bungie with the Games as a Service experience)
Haven, Firesprite: promising growth potential
Bluepoint, Bungie, Housemarque: renown in their own sectors as high quality studios.
Bungie: strong IP.

Officially, Firesprite also falls into the second category, as Sony officially announced that acquisition as "Firesprite will play a critical role in strengthening SIE's exclusive games catalog in genres outside of PlayStation Studios' core offerings".

MS are tied from making major acquisitions for the next few years, Amazon havent really shown signs of major investments so far and only a testing of waters approach, and its doubtful that Sony will stop making mobile games from 2K in the case that they buy them so Apple will be relatively indifferent to it.

Depends how you look at it.
Studio size? Its the 3rd largest acquistion in the past year behind Bungie and Firesprite.
Revenue? Probably 2nd largest after Bungie
IP strength? You could argue Kojima himself is the IP here ;p but they have none.
Era pages? safe to say it'll be the largest.

Hi. I'm just wondering how Microsoft's hands are tied for the next few years. I understand they have the ABK acquisition pending, but shouldn't that be done within this year?

Joo

May 25, 2018
Limit or not. Microsoft, Amazon or Apple would never allow for Sony ro buy Take Two, they would just outbid them.
This really isn't based on anything. MS almost definitely outright can't make another massive bid right after ABK just to block Sony, as that could very possibly put the whole ABK deal in danger as well. Amazon and Apple have shown zero interest to acquire major game developers/publishers like Take-Two and with their current gaming related services it's hardly a good fit.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Hi. I'm just wondering how Microsoft's hands are tied for the next few years. I understand they have the ABK acquisition pending, but shouldn't that be done within this year?
Expected to close at the 2023 fiscal year
www.videogameschronicle.com

Microsoft comments on acquisition approval: ‘Even with Activision Blizzard, we’ll be number three’ | VGC

The Xbox firm’s proposed $70bn acquisition is to be reviewed by regulators…
and with how hard its going under review, MS likely won't be able to easily snag another publisher as easily.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Lets say that MS does decide to do another 20B dollar + acquisition, even a year after Activision closes, do you think the scrutiny will start from the same level as it was when they announced Activision's acquisition? The answer is no. They will have to wait a considerable amount of time after Activision acquisition closes if they wish to try that, heck they are already hitting some major hurdles already in terms of scrutiny on this deal.
They could still acquire studios, sure, but just not having a currently active acquisition doesnt mean that they can freely spend more dozens of billions of dollars after already spending nearly 80 billion without huge scrutiny.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
MS is probably would be really satisfied if the Acti/Blizz deal went through. They'd instead go about acquiring private studios or studios they have close relations to unless someone tries to go and snag Take 2 or something such as if Apple or Amazon or Google tried.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
I think Bungie was a little different because they are private for instance we know 4 companies and 1 individual were in the race for Activision.

Is that even true?

All we know is that Kotick tried to find other bidders after Microsoft offered a deal, but everyone else rejected.

So there was only one offer. No bidding war at all.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know why people throw out Google's or Apple's or Amazon's name out in these discussions. None of those companies have shown they will put in the 10's of billions in investment needed to buy a publisher. Hell, it is still an open question if Sony will since this is all still rumors. None of those companies are gonna spend 10's of billions just to block Sony.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't know why people throw out Google's or Apple's or Amazon's name out in these discussions. None of those companies have shown they will put in the 10's of billions in investment needed to buy a publisher. Hell, it is still an open question if Sony will since this is all still rumors. None of those companies are gonna spend 10's of billions just to block Sony.
They're the bogeymen used to excuse consolidation.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Its the companies MS throws around so I guess that just stuck with me.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
When it comes to acquisitions too many people think like an accountant.

Value-added can mean a lot more than cash.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
His sentiment about retirement may change in a few years (it's doubtful), but a ton of blind trust was placed in Kojima when Sony decided to support him from 2015 and through to now.

Not only this, but plenty of what has been achieved since he left Konami has been a result of hiring a team of people he respects and trusts to fulfill his vision.

2012 -
"I don't have any intention of retiring - until the day I die I will be making games."

2019 -
"Kojima wants to create games until he dies."

2021 -
"My creativity is not waning yet. Until my brain loses its creative power, I'll continue to strive to create things. That's my instinct, and that's what I love to do."

I truly believe in his enthusiasm and his drive. Kojima is probably my favourite creative in games.

But, to be realistic, every creative says 'I want to this until I die' and I dunno if I'd bet millions of dollars on that remaining true once he's in his 70s and 80s.

I hope he does. Not sure if it's a realistic prospect for an investment outside of individual game publishing (which is probably enough?).

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Bungie did have a hand in designing the dualshock 4 (apparently). And were close partners for Destiny 1 getting exclusive maps and weapons.

That's an 8 year relationship. Not insignificant.

I'd forgotten that tidbit about the DS4. Regarding the deals, I'd guess that was Sony dealing with Activision directly to negotiate those deals for the most part.

Insomniac, Haven, Deviation, Firesprite, Housemarque etc. These studios all had no IPs to offer Sony. Sony are hiring expertise and talent more than anything else right now. The Bungie deal is even an indicator of this because Destiny, their only IP, will continue to release across all platforms. They grabbed Bungie for their talent and skills in online service and multiplayer FPS.

Yup, those first 5 companies were all about reigning in their partners and bringing them in-house. And of course the major reason to bring Bungie on board was their GaaS knowledge, but they did emphasize bring their IP to film/TV.

Sony's on the hunt for new IP, as noted by their CEO in January. He was being asked about major scale acquisitions for Sony Pictures and talked about being able to compete on the big stage globally for acquisitions and how they're looking for IP that can be utilized across their entertainment divisions. So it goes to figure if Sony's going to make a gaming oriented large scale acquisition then they'd probably choose a target whose IP could be used for either film/tv/anime/music. I mean it's not set in stone, but it's more likely I think.

Most big video game companies do have IP that Sony's other divisions could utilize, so admittedly that doesn't narrow things down in any meaningful way. lol

I truly believe in his enthusiasm and his drive. Kojima is probably my favourite creative in games.

But, to be realistic, every creative says 'I want to this until I die' and I dunno if I'd bet millions of dollars on that remaining true once he's in his 70s and 80s.

I hope he does. Not sure if it's a realistic prospect for an investment outside of individual game publishing (which is probably enough?).

I wouldn't expect Kojima to work forever, but I don't think we can discount the sheer amount of talent at KojiPro. Most other studios don't have someone like Kojima heading them and they operate just fine. The folks are KojiPro have worked under him for many years and will work under him for many more. Surely once Kojima's ready to retire there will be folks able to step up. And even when he does retire he can still take on an advisory role for many more years.

Last edited:

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Nope. Take Two paid 12 billion for Zynga.

And Sony has confirmed, that they have 10 billion to spend.

No, they have at least $10 billion, but are willing to spend more if there was a growth opportunity.

Just because some companies could afford something doesn't mean they are interested. Especially when two of them have yet to show any major interest in investing in the industry.

Just because those companies have more money than Sony doesn't mean they would bid against them on anything, and it certainly doesn't mean they would be willing to spend as much whatever the asking price is.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
An earnarn for 3 years - which is still several billion less, than what Take Two would cost.

Again, the point is just that the earmark is not a hard limit. If Sony REALLY wanted Take Two, they could find the money.

They probably don't want them, but if they REALLY wanted to buy them, they could afford it. The earmark is not a hard cap.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
An earnarn for 3 years - which is still several billion less, than what Take Two would cost.

It's just a guide for their stock holders and whatnot. It's not like back in 2021 they were going come out and say they're projecting a M&A budget of 50 billion dollars on the off-chance that an opportunity to pick up Take Two would occur. It's just a figure they toss out given their projections at the time but they can deviate from that whenever they please. If an opportunity comes up that makes sense to them then they can fully pursue it regardless of whatever budget they had set out in the past.

Will they do it? Who knows, we're just guessing here anyways. Do they have the capacity to do it? Most definitely. For now we're just shooting the shit until more news breaks on what this deal may actually be.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
And that's before you throw in their Zynga acquisition.

Sony buying Take Two is fantasy land IMO.
If Sony wanted to, it would be possible. They have the funds, they could make a stock and cash deal etc Though, it likely wouldn't be a PlayStation/SIE purchase but instead a Sony purchase because Take Two and their properties can be used by multiple of Sony divisions. Though I still don't think it would happen.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
If Sony wanted to, it would be possible. They have the funds, they could make a stock and cash deal etc Though, it likely wouldn't be a PlayStation/SIE purchase but instead a Sony purchase because Take Two and their properties can be used by multiple of Sony divisions. Though I still don't think it would happen.

They have the resources to complete the transaction, for sure. It isn't happening though, haha. I refuse to let the largest tech acquisition in history become anything more than an outlier while some think it's the new standard.

Totally think Sony can and is likely to buy a publisher, but people need to be more realistic.

AImalexia

Prophet of Truth
Aug 31, 2021
Everyone and their mother is buying studios because inflation is crazy and they need to get rid of cash on hand. Spending cash because it's burning is very different from taking on debt to make a deal

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So MS just bought a 70 billion dollar company and the suggestion is that Sony is looking at their competition and saying, "actually we'd rather just slowly go out of business than spend money to stay competitive". There's zero reason to be super confident that a large acquisition like Ubisoft is out of the question when MS has spent like 80 billion in the last two years on acquisitions and is likely to make more in the future.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Even if they did get Take Two it would look an awful lot like the Bungie deal and that Bungie deal was 3 billion which is the most Sony has ever paid for a game acquisition, and take-two would be much higher.

It's funny how Sony is able to keep moving on with no issue and being the dominant player while some are acting like Microsoft is under the microsscope, can't do anything for a few years because of the Activision deal.

So MS just bought a 70 billion dollar company and the suggestion is that Sony is looking at their competition and saying, "actually we'd rather just slowly go out of business than spend money to stay competitive". There's zero reason to be super confident that a large acquisition like Ubisoft is out of the question when MS has spent like 80 billion in the last two years on acquisitions and is likely to make more in the future.

Yes but Sony is not in the same category as Microsoft/Google/Amazon and Apple. Put it bluntly Microsoft is using CASH to buy Activision/Blizzard, whereas Sony is partnering with Bungie on a deal 20 times less in price.

How much is Sony going to rely solely of being a game company?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Ubisoft's problem is less that it's expensive and more that it brings them nothing they don't already have while adding on an absolutely astronomical amount of operating costs.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
They have the resources to complete the transaction, for sure. It isn't happening though, haha. I refuse to let the largest tech acquisition in history become anything more than an outlier while some think it's the new standard.

Totally think Sony can and is likely to buy a publisher, but people need to be more realistic.
It's the largest tech acquisition because Microsoft paid a 45% premium, there are other big deals being made like Nvidia trying to acquire ARM for 40 billion and only being stopped because ARM's owners wanted an IPO instead. As tech companies become larger, I would expect more acquisitions of a large scale

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
It's the largest tech acquisition because Microsoft paid a 45% premium, there are other big deals being made like Nvidia trying to acquire ARM for 40 billion and only being stopped because ARM's owners wanted an IPO instead. As tech companies become larger, I would expect more acquisitions of a large scale

Yes, but I mean we shouldnt consider it a norm for gaming acquisitions.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ubisoft's problem is less that it's expensive and more that it brings them nothing they don't already have while adding on an absolutely astronomical amount of operating costs.
I don't mean to say that Sony should or will buy Ubisoft. I hope they don't. But people have this idea that like Sony is witnessing Microsoft swallowing publishers up but that financing an acquisition to stay competitive is out of the question for them. Which is nuts. Im saying that an acquisition of a similar scope to a Ubisoft (or perhaps the sum of a number of smaller acquisitions) isn't out of the question.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but I mean we shouldnt consider it a norm for gaming acquisitions.
I don't expect it to be the norm yet, I don't expect Take Two to be acquired by Sony or anyone in the near future. I'm just saying there's been acquisition after acquisition in the gaming space, once all the "small" targets are all taken, expect large acquisitions to be more common.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
I don't expect it to be the norm yet, I don't expect Take Two to be acquired by Sony or anyone in the near future. I'm just saying there's been acquisition after acquisition in the gaming space, once all the "small" targets are all taken, expect large acquisitions to be more common.

No disagreement there, I just expect the likes of EA and Take Two to be doing the acquiring not the other way around.

asari

Oct 25, 2017
I think Sony is going with a Japanese publisher this time, they are in need of japanese studios, and it can be anyone even Kadokawa.
I don't understand why people are mentioning Amazon or Apple but not Tencent...

YoungGunsII

Banned
Apr 23, 2019
Denmark
I think Sony is going with a Japanese publisher this time, they are in need of japanese studios, and it can be anyone even Kadokawa.
Mostly because we are just forgetting about Tencent, because you are right. Tencent could outbid Sony as well, if they wanted.

Oct 25, 2017
I think Ubisoft would be an excellent get for Sony. As other's have noted Ubisoft is bloated, which is impacting their valuation. I can easily see playstation's direction making them a way stronger publisher and much more efficient. Basically Ubisoft is a great buy low target.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Doesn't Ubisoft also have an insane number of employees? To me that would probably be a deterrent to an already established publisher like MS or Sony.

In regards to Jeff and Greg using the word "big", I feel like they could be talking about a studio like KojiPro or Remedy since that would be "big" to gaming enthusiasts. Either way, Greg must think it's happening pretty soon considering his tweet last week.

Last edited:

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
The issue with acquiring a notable Japanese publisher is that they largely still have a heavy degree of family leadership and ownership. You'd basically have to have the founding families cash out and at a certain point money might not be enough of a motivator. Especially with Sony, who's been de-investing regionally over the past half decade. I can see a new round of consolidation in Japan (mirroring they western buying spree we're going through) but if that happens on the big publisher level I'd expect more mergers than acquisitions like we saw in the early/mid 2000s.

This applies to pretty much everyone too; Bandai Namco, Square Enix, Capcom, Koei Tecmo, Konami, Sega Sammy, etc. Funny enough the one notable JP Publisher to really cut ties to it's founding family was Nintendo several years back.

As far as Kadokawa, beyond just the complication of Sony buying a primarily (print) publishing house and also owning Niconico, there's the fact Tencent is actively investing (already the 2nd largest shareholder with more than triple Sony's investment) and would probably swoop in and outbid them if the opportunity was there. It's also worth pointing out Nintendo's also a shareholder in Kadokawa, although with only about half the shares Sony owns after their capital alliance.

The theorycrafting I've seen around Sony buying Kadokawa rests on SME being the acquiring group anyway and if that were to happen I don't see why Aniplex wouldn't just hold on to the games division (which includes Kadokawa Games, Spike Chunsoft and FromSoftware). Aniplex is already firmly multiplatform and looking to grow more in the console/PC space too. Souls specifically has it's largest market on PC (by far, almost 2:1 vs consoles) and while Xbox is smallest slice, it's still roughly half of PlayStation going by DS3 shipments+digital. There's a lot to lose there if From went PS exclusive/first and besides which I think if SIE were at all really interested in going this direction then they probably wouldn't have fired all the Japan Studio leads and contacts at EDD that worked on Demon's Souls (both versions), Bloodborne and Déraciné.

I think if Sony were looking to acquire a JP pub, one that might work better would be a tier down with Arc System Works. They're already privately owned and they could align well with PlayStation's eSports and service initiatives via the FGC/Evo. I mean, I'd hate it because it'd probably mean the end of Kunio and other non-fighting ASW projects like Kowloon Highschool or Jake Hunter but I can at least see a sound path and logic here.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Incorrect.

They could if they wanted to.

They definitely can.

The word can and the world likely are on two polar opposites. Sony is in no position to do bidding wars with much bigger players out there and looking at its previous acquisitions shows they are not interested in that type of commitment. "If" Sony did try and go after Take-Two the deal with all likelihood look much like Bungie, a partnership.

Sony has pivoted away from how the company used to operate 30 years ago when they were most known as a TV and electronics company but what some here are asking for is Sony to mainly just be a gaming company like Nintendo and put most of their eggs in one basket. Yet do you see Nintendo wanting to make such bold moves and take on that type of commitment?

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Ok, after thinking about it some more I'm gonna place my bets on who it'll be...

50% on WB Games with a hefty licensing agreement tied to it
20% on Square Enix
20% on Capcom
10% on Kadokawa

Locking in my prediction now since anything could conceivably happen at any time now that we're in the new FY.

Oct 1, 2019
I'm sure the leadership at PlayStation wants to be competitive. That is why they've also been acquiring at a rapid pace. It's just that Microsoft is a 2 trillion dollar company, one of the largest in the world. When it comes to acquisitions, sadly, there's only very few that can match them.

amstradcpc

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure the leadership at PlayStation wants to be competitive. That is why they've also been acquiring at a rapid pace. It's just that Microsoft is a 2 trillion dollar company, one of the largest in the world. When it comes to acquisitions, sadly, there's only very few that can match them.
Thats why Take 2 has sense for Sony.Its price is reachable and would make them bigger in the first party publishing arm. And thats why I dont understand people saying Konami, that would suposse 0 to avoid MS getting part of Sonys cake.