• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
Only 41M after five years - that is pretty bad, though a good turnaround from the completely terrible state they were in a few years ago. They really will get passed up next year, though nothing can be proven for certain. As far as digital, the one thing MS has always excelled at is online services. They also have really good sales on digital, so that isn't much of a surprise.

It will be interesting to see if the next XBox is digital only, like the XB1 was supposed to be
I would be curious to know what internal expectations were once they allowed first party games to be Windows 10 games too though. That is a move that would suggest a lower expectation on hardware sales. Like even if the next xbox is better in every regard to the competition I would expect it to sell less if they make everything available for PC. But I assume that is fine if they sell more software/subscriptions?

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
PS3 isn't really considered a failure though outside of it's first couple years. The Xbox One is still much more successful than the OG Xbox aswell.

The Original Xbox only sold 24 million units versus the PS2's 150 million.

That's 24:150.

Considering the Xbox One started out as a total shitshow, I think that selling roughly half of what the PS4 has is pretty decent.

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
XB1 was dead in the water until Phil was put in control.

41 million is not a success story, but I do think it's a dignified comeback from the brink.

Compare Xbox where it is to where it was and the disparity is simply put shocking.

Ever since Phil was promoted to EVP of Gaming, he's been making bigger and better moves in a short amount of time, so I think there's a lot of cause to be optimistic for next gen.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I guess I'm an odd-ball with my PS4.
II have 267 entries in my "Purchased" tab and they're all digital.
Only physical game I have came with the first PS4 I bought and I think it is still in the shrink wrapping.

On my switch I am about 50/50 now, moving more towards digital since they started allowing sharing of digital games in the same faction as playstation.

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I could 50m within reach if MS released the rumoured Maverick SKU.

If they continue to invest in games and Game Pass and offer a 199-249 price range, I could see a significant uptick.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
I'm all digital on the XB1. Weirdly I trust MS the most with forward compatibility. Their 360 4K support is also great.

The Xbox One is the first and only console I went full digital on, precisely because of their continued emphasis on supporting the entire Xbox ecosystem through continued compatibility. And now Game Pass makes it even easier to stay under that whole umbrella.

A while back I purchased several PS Classics for my Vita and PS3 under the impression that they would continue to be supported. Whoops! So I'm buying all PlayStation games on disc still, in 2019.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Wait wasn't it rumored for like 2-3 years that Xbox One was at 35m?
No.

Predictions in 2017 were that Xbox One would end up around 35.

2017 comes and everything points to Xbox One indeed hit or at least close to that.

Now we have over 40M

Xbox One only sells 7-9M units a year.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Pretty impressive numbers considering how big of a disaster this gen has been for Xbox. I think next gen they'll do closer to 360's numbers.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
XB1 was dead in the water until Phil was put in control.

41 million is not a success story, but I do think it's a dignified comeback from the brink.

Compare Xbox where it is to where it was and the disparity is simply put shocking.

Ever since Phil was promoted to EVP of Gaming, he's been making bigger and better moves in a short amount of time, so I think there's a lot of cause to be optimistic for next gen.
Xbox One X was a huge success for them as well.

They now know what to properly do for next gen

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'm an odd-ball with my PS4.
II have 267 entries in my "Purchased" tab and they're all digital.
Only physical game I have came with the first PS4 I bought and I think it is still in the shrink wrapping.

On my switch I am about 50/50 now, moving more towards digital since they started allowing sharing of digital games in the same faction as playstation.
Most games I buy across all systems are digital too. All ecosystems feel secure enough to do it at this point.

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Digital is higher because of Microsoft's huge infrastructure, which connects Xbox LIVE subs, full game sales on Xbox Store, Game Pass, ads, Mixer, and microtransactions into a cross-platform ecosystem that spans phones, consoles, and Windows 10 PCs.

It'll go even higher once Project xCloud is out, and once the digital-only codenamed Maverick Xbox launches.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Xbox's digital numbers are very good indeed, partly due to their services, and partly due to a smaller (therefore more "hardcore" and engaged) user base.
I was thinking it was the xbox userbase as a whole that drove digital that high. The smaller base taking advantage of the services. Is that what you were saying?

Also, I were thinking the services were aimed at the casuals. Interesting stats.

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, sales had to go up once they essentially relaunched the console with the X and S. Good for them but hardly surprising.

The digital ratio is also hardly surprising given the introduction of gamepass.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's exciting that the platform is in a really good place, and that there shouldn't be any hiccups with launch next gen. And they have a bunch of new studios as well.

Zetran

Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys know what else have a very high digital ratio? Make a guess - PS Vita. Without sharing what else the digital ratio consist of, the margin it's kind of like useless PR to soften the terrible sales news (still respectable)

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
WOW, 41mil is better than the first XBOX.
Good job Phil steering this ship to the right direction.
Yeah man, they started the generation off on the wrong foot. They royally messed up and for them to sell this many after that disaster of a conference and message is pretty good.

Edit:
I'm all digital on all my systems but I buy most digital games on my One X. I am not surprised really.

Kitschy Kitty

Oct 25, 2017
Part of the reason I buy mostly digital on Xbox is BC, it's easier overall and I have some faith I'll be able to just easily download them on future consoles.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
May 18, 2018
I buy all my games digitally, cant speak for Playstation but buying games digitally on Xbox so easy. Also the sales are great.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
It Will be really hard to hit 50 million. With 41 million they only sold 6.5 million this year.

This end the bets on crazy numbers.

18 millions vs 6.5 millions just show how impossible is for Ms to win next gen. This will never happen worldwide
They should easily hit 50 million. They only need 9 million
2019 - 5 million
2020 - 3.5 million
Thats 49.5 million right there, another 500k will be easy.

TheZodiacAge

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Xbox One X was a huge success for them as well.

They now know what to properly do for next gen

Doesn't look like that when you again put it on the worldwide scale.

Xbox never does bad in its 2 main markets but these numbers again show they basically have nothing to fall back on outside of them.
Sony is 50+ Million ahead while only being slightly ahead in the US showing how insanely strong the grip and mindshare everywhere else is in the favor for Playstation.
The same market that pushed the PS3 above the 360 in the end even after how that Gen started out for Playstation.

The 1X or anything else that Phil did had never any impact on the European Market showing its uninteresting for the market they still can't figure out.

Will be interesting to see what and if they have something planned or simply give up on it and try to get their playerbase in the USA back which helped them a lot last Gen.

Jan 17, 2019
Wait wasn't it rumored for like 2-3 years that Xbox One was at 35m?
No.

Predictions in 2017 were that Xbox One would end up around 35.

2017 comes and everything points to Xbox One indeed hit or at least close to that.

Now we have over 40M

Xbox One only sells 7-9M units a year.

Yeah, it was. By Xbox France. And it was false. Maybe some of you remember from other forum :

https://www./threads/about-the-allegedly-sales-coming-from-xbox-france.1393548/

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Holy shit is that number low, even the failure PS3 did way more than that. Edit doesn't that mean a huge chunk of console gamers just vanished this gen? from 80, 80, 100 million to 90, 40, cant remember switch numbers, millions.

ImGumbyDammit

Banned
Nov 25, 2018
That 41mil would include the launch of the Xbox One X and the sleeker Xbox One S. How many double-dips (like myself) does that include? And 50mil is still 9mil away.

...So I wouldn't think so. And that's okay.
For Microsoft, next-gen is a chance to reset the brand narrative.
We could say the same thing about that 90+ million PS4 number as well. Isn't Sony themselves that said 25% of PS4 sales are Pros. How many of that 1 in 4 is Pro purchasers are doubling dipping? I am sure there are millions more double dipping as you call it from that perspective on the PS4. Point is why does it matter either way.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Curious why Xbox would be much larger digitally than other platforms. Disproportionately large US install base compared to global where retail might be more prevalent in many countries?

Would be interesting to understand approx digital sales vs other platforms by region
The platform itself is the answer.

Gamepass, play anywhere, a single account for global purchases, easy to switch regions and get stellar prices on launch, better regional prices on developing countries, better refund policy, more reliable speeds...
Considering their digital store and pricing suck compared to Sony, this is rather surprising.
They may suck in the Europe, but on other markets such as Brazil games cost sometimes a third on Xbox compared to Ps4. Even compared to steam it's often cheaper. This is specially true when there's no one to publish the game physically for Xbox you can get a pre-order for $30 on Xbone and the same game on ps4 costing $90 (and more and more publishers are skipping the physical xbone version because the market for digital on the console here is so much bigger than the retail)

Benjamin1981

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think its competitive.

Some games I saw higher on the each other's store.

I think with Xbox they dont advertise all their sales as much as Sony does. That or Sony just have more overall sales.

Depends on your region. Atleast in Europe the Xbox sales aren't as good as Sonys. Pricing is higher and there a way fewer sales.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised at the higer digital ratio. MS pushes the storefront pretty hard on the console with at least one item on the dashboard always pushing you over to that page.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
Not surprising that digital is more common because of play-anywhere etc. I own one game disc for xbone.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think these numbers are positive at all. Things like the launch of the XB1S, XB1X, backwards compat and insane deals (at least here in Australia) and the gap with PS4 has only grown?

It really does show how vital the first couple of years are, but there's also one thing Microsoft have been lagging in for a few years: big games. It's been long enough with Phil Spencer in charge that we really should have seen more compelling software launch already. I can understand if they are just putting all of their eggs in the next gen basket at this stage though.

Status
Not open for further replies.