• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrMegaPhoenix

Oct 27, 2017
They can only change the video game landscape so quickly. I'm sure Xcloud will offer that.

I've streamed off PSNOW and it's a less than ideal experience, I much rather download.
Yeah like the latter quotes clarified, it is coming. It's why I feel the option will do a lot. if you can stream a game that might stutter a bit, it still gives you instant access compared to downloading huge games that you may not even enjoy. So there's less excuse to not try more games and that should help a lot with encouraging more subscriptions, I feel.

When I subbed to this, I only downloaded what I felt I'd enjoy, played them and then unsubbed. Maybe I missed out on something I would enjoy more but I only have the 500gb and I was too lazy to continually delete space to try games. I would have tried everything with the option to stream though. Hope that clarifies what I mean

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
This service has directly lead to 2 console purchases by friends of mine. They wanted to get back to regularly playing games as a group, and the choice between "have the group decide on one game up front and buy it" or "everyone sub for hundreds of games and we can all pick between Halo, Sea of Thieves, Gears, and whatever else for any given week" was damn easy.

firstseeker

Dec 4, 2019
Reading this thread finally pushed me over to try out gamepass for PC.

Im downloading Ori and Bloodstained. Wish the download speeds weren't so mediocre.

Oct 27, 2017
It's an unmatched service and can't be beat in terms of value.

There isn't anything even remotely comparable that offers the same scope or bang for your buck.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Somebody hasn't been following the thread
You're obviously posting in bad faith, but arguing that GP isn't a "game changer" is outright wrong. Microsoft's largest competitor in the console space has been making changes to their streaming service to directly compete with GP long term.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but that's pretty little time for games, which can last many hours. If you work, it can be hard to squeeze a game into two weeks.
That's fair. I've basically accepted that I'm not going to be able to complete any GamePass games in full unless they're MS IPs, but I understand how it's frustrating to know that your time with the game is limited.

Deleted member 14927

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Played some fantastic games I wouldn't have necessarily considered before on GP.

Void bastards
Astroneer
Bloodstained
Human fall flat
Untitled goose game
My friend Pedro

Like others, my spending has changed. Only bought Doom and animal crossing recently.

firstseeker

Dec 4, 2019
Played some fantastic games I wouldn't have necessarily considered before on GP.

Void bastards
Astroneer
Bloodstained
Human fall flat
Untitled goose game
My friend Pedro

Like others, my spending has changed. Only bought Doom and animal crossing recently.

I just started playing Bloodstained and wondering if the aliasing I'm seeing is normal?

8TaW9EG.png

Graphics settings are maxed out and the resolution is 3840x2160

Deleted member 14927

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just started playing Bloodstained and wondering if the aliasing I'm seeing is normal?

8TaW9EG.png

Graphics settings are maxed out and the resolution is 3840x2160
Anti aliasing seems non existent. I also tried on the PC, trying to enforce it in Nvidia control panel to no avail.

Stuck with it on Xbox in the end as I just prefer couch gaming and learned to accept it

KillaKap

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a new subscriber, the value is super overwhelming. almost makes up for the lack of......nvm j/k

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Yeah like the latter quotes clarified, it is coming. It's why I feel the option will do a lot. if you can stream a game that might stutter a bit, it still gives you instant access compared to downloading huge games that you may not even enjoy. So there's less excuse to not try more games and that should help a lot with encouraging more subscriptions, I feel.

When I subbed to this, I only downloaded what I felt I'd enjoy, played them and then unsubbed. Maybe I missed out on something I would enjoy more but I only have the 500gb and I was too lazy to continually delete space to try games. I would have tried everything with the option to stream though. Hope that clarifies what I mean
Makes sense, I have like 4tb available in total for games. So I just download a shit load at once.

I can see me streaming the first 10 minutes of a game and being like "ok that's a full download I like this one"

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
Just this week alone, three brand new games got added to the services, day one.

Streets of Rage 4, Gears Tactics and Moving Out.

Thats £90 worth of day one releases. IN ONE WEEK. This month also got Yakuza Kiwami, Journey to the Savage Planet, Nier Automata and about 10 other games. It's the best thing to come out of this gen hands down.
Four brand new games. There's Levelhead (a Mario Maker-like) tomorrow, which is also a Day 1 release.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I still don't understand how this makes a profit.
GP most likely doesn't make a profit now, but that's how subscription services in their growth phase works.

How it could work is pretty simple and the attachment rate plays a big role, because most gamers are casuals and only purchase a few games. I didn't find Xbox numbers, but sony had an impressive attach rate of 9,6 games per console in 2019. If you look at the years (2013-2019) you are looking at 1-2 games average per year.

This is one of the aspects why it can work, because most people simply don't buy a lot of games and lowering the entry point opens it up to new audiences. Especially with xCloud coming.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
Last Gen Nadella wasn't CEO and iirc we aren't getting many Azure numbers, either.

We know Forza Horizon is a massive growing franchise since it started with FH1 and we aren't getting numbers from Microsoft on it. Success or the lack of success in some cases is not the reason we aren't getting Microsoft numbers.

Sometimes people should look at the company as a whole and not focus on gaming. There is a world outside of gaming and at companies employees with more power than those leading their gaming division.

Just look at the comment's around here saying Gamepass was invited, because Xbox can't sell first party games... . The reason Gamepass exist is Nadella, because he believes in services and subscription. Office wasn't failing, when he turned it into subs.
That last part is especially true, people don't seem to understand that Microsoft is the Industry leader when it comes to selling things via Subs (Even more so than Adobe now). Office365 (Now Microsoft 365) is a HUGE push for them, more than any piece of Hardware & Games they could sell. Azure itself makes them more profit than the entirety of the gaming division, which is why I have a feeling is why Nadella is letting them go for these Loss-leading decisions.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
GP most likely doesn't make a profit now, but that's how subscription services in their growth phase works.

How it could work is pretty simple and the attachment rate plays a big role, because most gamers are casuals and only purchase a few games. I didn't find Xbox numbers, but sony had an impressive attach rate of 9,6 games per console in 2019. If you look at the years (2013-2019) you are looking at 1-2 games average per year.

This is one of the aspects why it can work, because most people simply don't buy a lot of games and lowering the entry point opens it up to new audiences. Especially with xCloud coming.

I understand the concept - it's Twitter, Netflix, Spotify, etc. A loss-leader. It seems there is always a threshold where it's expected these companies will start to make a profit, and until then they either lose money or are invested in. This is an interesting case where a first party owns the subscription service that is (presumably) loss leading as well as the proprietary hardware that the subscription service is meant to bolster. With how much money Microsoft makes their ability to loss-lead a subscription service is pretty high so I wish we had more insight into how much they have to pay other publishers, for example.

It's an awesome service! And because I find it so fascinating I want to know more. People keep clamoring for Sony to respond and honestly I can see the dilemma. The PS5 will outsell the XSX and likely will see a very healthy generation without having a service that potentially loses money in a vacuum. Of course because GPU is such a great value it could lead to a change in market share and Sony might have to make a competing service.

It's interesting - Netflix makes a lot of original content now. They kind of have to in order to justify their subscription service. So while there's a lot of trash Netflix also produces so excellent movies and shows and I think maybe a healthier overall movie industry. I wonder if that sort of concept will apply to games? Another fascinating aspect of GamePass that I'm entirely unqualified to speculate on.

I really hope I didn't use loss-leading wrong because I'll feel like an idiot

MrMegaPhoenix

Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense, I have like 4tb available in total for games. So I just download a shit load at once.

I can see me streaming the first 10 minutes of a game and being like "ok that's a full download I like this one"
Yeah my space is more limited and speeds aren't that great for me, but yeah that's what I feel too. Streaming something that "sounds boring" could end up actually being fun. Then you can download it if that's the case :)

yurr

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 20, 2019
I think my posts have been misconstrued here. My only point is that Game pass is not going to be enough to get MS out of 2nd/3rd in terms of units. Especially with the PC support. I am an MS fan, but I'd be lying if I said I was happy with their games output this generation as a whole and the shift to game pass really just gives me pause. Ori is their best game in years, YEARS! Did it even chart? Probably not, and no one can say game pass isn't part to blame and when Ms inevitably moves on from game pass (like they have done with previous Xbox products) games like Ori will be lost in the sauce.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think my posts have been misconstrued here. My only point is that Game pass is not going to be enough to get MS out of 2nd/3rd in terms of units. Especially with the PC support. I am an MS fan, but I'd be lying if I said I was happy with their games output this generation as a whole and the shift to game pass really just gives me pause. Ori is their best game in years, YEARS! Did it even chart? Probably not, and no one can say game pass isn't part to blame and when Ms inevitably moves on from game pass (like they have done with previous Xbox products) games like Ori will be lost in the sauce.
Credible insiders have confirmed numerous AAA 1st party games ready for next gen, with all those on GP, it is MS killer app and something they will scream about with people switching over to next gen. Also, they don't care about games charting, more users are playing and that's all that matters, if they don't care, and it's not dictating future investment, it doest mean as much as you think.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Credible insiders have confirmed numerous AAA 1st party games ready for next gen, with all those on GP, it is MS killer app and something they will scream about with people switching over to next gen. Also, they don't care about games charting, more users are playing and that's all that matters, if they don't care, and it's not dictating future investment, it doest mean as much as you think.

"A bunch of credible people say a ton of highly charted games are coming"
"Also they don't care about highly charted games at all!"

...dude. C'mon now.

Credible insiders have also confirmed the opposite of everything you just said. See? That's the thing about "credible insiders" . We can just sling shit around all day and the best we gonna get is "Well, we will see... won't we?" And that's that.

M3rcy

Oct 27, 2017

Nah. I think your posts have been properly construed.

Jan 4, 2018
That's very impressive, especially the number of games that have been of a Mighty or Strong calibre. What that tells me is that I need to start trying more of the games on there, not just the ones I've heard or read about on social media etc.

Granted, I'd already played several of the big games that were added lately, but I loved Ori and the Will of Wisps and will definitely check out Gears Tactics when it launches on Xbox.

Is there a list or thread we can see all Xbox GP games ordered by the date they were included? Even better would be if they could be listed alongside their Meta or OpenCritic aggregate score. I think if I could visualise it this way, I'd be more likely to try more of the games.
That's the closest I've found, although the dates are when the game first launched, not the date it was added
https://opencritic.com/browse/subscription/xbox-game-pass-ultimate

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why would MS move on from gamepass? Supposedly its been great for them.

who cares if they are loosing money, at the end of the day if you really wanted to you could play their entire library for $10 at a time. It also saves me from ever buying their console; but I don't think they care about that.