• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
I remain unconvinced after trying it. Based on what I experienced, its version of Gwent wasn't nearly as entertaining, while moving through the overworld became rapidly tedious. A saving grace might come with the narrative, though you must first be accepting of its lower production values (though still notable for what it is) and the not-so-fun interactions, from combat to exploration.

I think it's a good distraction for Witcher fans, but not the piece to fall in love with its universe.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. Thronebreaker is excellent. Would love to have more games like this.

On a tangent, if you like deck building / card games / turn-based combat, try Slay the Spire. So so good!

Aeron

Oct 27, 2017
They really should have just made this like a Telltale game, tying it to Gwent was the death-knell of this game.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
Bought during the sales and didnt enjoy the changes to gwent so bounced off the game. It seemed complex in a confusing way.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still need to play it, bought it day 1 on gog but never got around to it. In 2020 I will.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Thronebreaker is fantastic, they finally added a quality spanish dub that uses the same type of language as the books and only for that its excellent for any of the spanish book readers. TW1 had an atrocious spanish dub made by Atari, TW2 and 3 didnt have a spanish dub, but the spanish subtitles were incredibly meh, not capturing the essence of how each character talks.
Also Queen Meve is a great character. I loved so much that the story in the game is in the middle of the books this times instead of a sequel.
The character art is absolutely lovely also.

Kilbane65

Oct 27, 2017
EatChildren the game is currently at 75% off on GOG if you have the other Witcher games in there. It was at 50% yesterday though (right after I read this thread), so this might have been some new promotion.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorite things about this game is probably going to go unnoticed by most, but it's how the text appears on screen completely in sync with the VA.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
EatChildren the game is currently at 75% off on GOG if you have the other Witcher games in there. It was at 50% yesterday though (right after I read this thread), so this might have been some new promotion.

It seems to be tied to owning every single game (I don't own the board game on GOG). If I select just Thronebreaker it's $19.49CDN (50% off). If I also add the $1 board game, it drops to $9.79.

I'm absolutely in at that price.

Oublieux

Oct 27, 2017
Have been keeping an eye on this myself and even have it on my wishlist on Steam. I've been debating on whether or not to purchase it but held off since I have a backlog of titles I'd like to tackle. This thread is making me second guess myself now...

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I second this. Fantastic storytelling.

Oct 25, 2017
Wonderful game, and it's a damn shame we'll not see another. I'd do terrible things for a CRPG in the Witcher universe with that art.

Luxorek

Oct 25, 2017
Poland

Oh, shit. Thanks for the info! The only Witcher game (besides Thronebreaker) I didn't have on GOG was the Witcher Adventure Game, but after adding it to my cart it applied the 75% discount. For that price it's a no brainer.

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
Great game with a amazing protagonist.
Also recommend Gwent you cowards. Current meta is pretty welcoming for newcomers and the support has been great this past year.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
This was my favorite game I played this year. Bummer it's not more successful. There's a ton of content here too, every time I thought it would end it kept going. A negative for some but I liked it.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
But Meve is such a well acted protagonist, that she sold every shaky decision I made with her incredible performance and conviction. I'd honestly rather have a spinoff game staring her than another Geralt game at this point.
Yes! She was awesome. Her design, dialogue and especially voice acting were superb!

I loved the exploration, choices, characters and story. The actual Gwent though I wasnt a fan and this is from someone who loved it in Witcher 3.

Still highly recommend it though.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Been unsure about picking this up for a while now, but I made the plunge. By all accounts, I should really enjoy this.

Darkkn

Oct 30, 2017
I had big time crashing issues with this unfortunately on ps4 pro. Maybe it's gotten better since it's been a while I last tried to play this. The game itself was otherwise very engaging for a Witcher fan!

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
In all honesty, the story and overall writing I think is better than the majority of the main story in Witcher 3 (which I still liked), but the political and intrique side of the story is miles better than what ever was in Witcher 3 - I would even say it's on the same level as Witcher 2 main story, which in my opinion is still the best political writing in any game released to this day
+ the characters are all unique, interesting, funny, tragic.. music is fantastic, as it is always the case with a Witcher game and so is the voice acting.. atmosphere is great, C&C (choices and consenquences) system is one of the best and it has many, many difficult (grey) moral choices with unexpected consenquences.. many little details in the gameworld, characters and writing.. ton of fun content for such a type of a game

Last edited:

Chinner

Oct 25, 2017
I hate to be this guy, but I held off as soon as I heard TW3 was coming to Switch. Think it would work great on a handheld