• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I think it will at least be interesting for the ensemble format to finally go even more "live theatre" by apparently having the same actors playing multiple different characters within the same season.

Noire

Oct 25, 2017
I am skeptical about this season, but something about that trailer feels hype to me.

Matt_

Oct 25, 2017
I think it will at least be interesting for the ensemble format to finally go even more "live theatre" by apparently having the same actors playing multiple different characters within the same season.

Either that or confusing as fuck
I've always been atrocious at remembering character names but for some reason I'm a lot better are remembering actors
Not being able to refer to their real names and have people know what I'm on about is going to be hard

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Either that or confusing as fuck
I've always been atrocious at remembering character names but for some reason I'm a lot better are remembering actors
Not being able to refer to their real names and have people know what I'm on about is going to be hard
It's really only Sarah and Evan though right?

But yeah it could be confusing, as Cordelia and Sarah's new character both seem to be prominent in the new season. Maybe they'll make them secret twins or something, lol

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
Am I the only person who couldn't even make it through Asylum? I will try it again, but honestly, it bored the crap out of me. Same with Hotel, Freak Show and Cult. Roanoke was OK but not worth watching again. Murder House and Coven were like, yas qween level, IMO. I just went back and watched Murder House and it's STILL amazing. I'm in the 3rd episode of rewatching Coven.

Nope, you're not the only one. I hated Asylum. Shit was all over the place. Too many characters and storylines, really weird shit everywhere, very rapey... it was just odd, hard to follow, and tried too hard to be dark and creepy. I prefer the more grounded seasons that have less characters and easy to follow stories like Roanoke.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Have not watched a season since Jessica Lange left (Freak Show).
The trailer looks confusing but the crossover stuff is only Murder House and Coven, right? No knowledge required from the later seasons?

OP
OP
Razmos

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Have not watched a season since Jessica Lange left (Freak Show).
The trailer looks confusing but the crossover stuff is only Murder House and Coven, right? No knowledge required from the later seasons?
It could mention Hotel at some point, as one of the characters from Coven crossed over into that show (and died there)

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Yeah, I'm not sure that's what I wanted with the crossover season.

I was hoping for a more meaningful cross over rather than they're all just somehow stuck in a house together.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, this really snuck up on me. Next week, right?

Didn't expect the Coven characters to literally be in this, and I don't really understand how they all would be unless the twist is that the whole season has been in hell the whole time. Or this is like an alternate universe?

Eulala

Aug 8, 2018
Looks like campy fun. Although I don't recognize the newbies besides Cody Fern who looks like Lily Rabe with all that hair.

And if we're doing rankings...
Asylum>Murder House>Cult>Freak Show>Coven>Roanoke>Hotel

Freak Show had a weak middle, but strong start and finish. Coven is fun but lost steam by the end. I hated the format of Roanoke in the beginning, but I liked how the back half turned out. Hotel was just too many ideas thrown at once. I wasn't feeling the pacing of Cult at first but all the pieces make sense by the end and surprised how it turned out.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Nope, you're not the only one. I hated Asylum. Shit was all over the place. Too many characters and storylines, really weird shit everywhere, very rapey... it was just odd, hard to follow, and tried too hard to be dark and creepy. I prefer the more grounded seasons that have less characters and easy to follow stories like Roanoke.

For me, Coven was great, but it had plot threads that didn't really go anywhere. Or at least didn't go anywhere meaningful. But they kept most of the primary story pretty tight when they got around to it.

Asylum and Freak Show both tried to go in a LOT of different directions, but Asylum stuck the landing better than Freak Show did in a few meaningful ways. But I can agree that there was just a LOT going on in Asylum right from the outset and it's really off-putting to some people.

Hotel kinda tried to straddle the line there, where it had a lot of characters and things going on, but almost all of them were tied to the season's main conceit and plotline in SOME substantial way, which is more that can be said of Asylum and Freak Show.

Roanoke was an interesting experiment and had some of that cohesion like Hotel and Coven did, but it was very VERY interested (almost up its own ass) in the premise of presenting a horror story entirely within the lens of the documentary/reality TV format as earnestly as possible. There was a statement that Murphy was trying to make with Roanoke, but I can see the reason it put people off.

Murder House, by far, is the most focused of all of them and it gave them the opportunity to take their time and build that main plot to a major payoff. It's the season that always keeps me coming back, because of how amazing it was. It also really perfected the creepy-campy that some of the later seasons didn't always hit, leaning more on general campiness.

I really can't speak about Cult in any meaningful way.