• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
I still have an original Intel i7 920, and I have been wanting to upgrade for YEAAAARS now. I want the baddest thing money can buy. July is the time, right?
Look into getting a second hand xeon. Something like a x5650 or x5670. I don't know how much they are going for now but i paid about £60 3yrs ago for a 5670, and sold my 930 for ~£30.
The xeon have more cores, they are faster and cooler. Ive been running mine at 4ghz years.
That should allow you to to delay upgrading for a while. The only thing holding you back will be your gpu.

I plan to wait until the next gen console arrives before I upgrade.

Antitype

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played Odyssey but Origins really wanted 8 cores so on the face of it I'm a bit skeptical that this leak is real. IDK though, anything's possible, and maybe Odyssey is happier with fewer faster cores? Probably a lot of people know the answer to that.

AC:O Is GPU limited at 1080p ultra on a 2080ti. With a stock 8700k you get the same fps as the 9900k on that leak.

Even then the 3600 looks like a very good perf/price, Intel still offers better performance though.

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
I don't need to deal with anything I like amd. Just saying RIP Intel is some trash level hyperbole.

I think the hyperbole is largely due to AMD being so behind in CPU for so long combined with Intel stagnation and constantly changing sockets and chipsets to an excessive degree. It was especially irritating how they used process nodes to massively improve the IGP instead of spending more than token efforts on improving the actual CPU cores. Sure, if you use integrated graphics it's okayish, but let's be honest, even the best Intel IGP went from terrible to moderately less terrible, yet on your typical Intel s115x die, the damn IGP uses half the space and transistor count, utterly worthless for dGPU users unless they've got a major use case for quicksync.

The truth is that AMD has bumped up from second rate to competent (1000 series) to very good (2000 series) to a full rough equal (but with more cores for the $) in pretty short order (3000 series). All on one socket :)

For gamers with recent Intel builds, it's a big meh. But for new builds or upgrades to 1000/2000 series, it's stellar.

At least that's the way I parse the hyperbole. Intel is of course fine, and making stacks of cash.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
I got the PC with a GTX 1660 for ~£600, so it was a good deal. It's got a crappy A320 motherboard though.

Yeah I dont follow PCs that much so didn't realise Zen 2 was so close. How long would it take to trickle down into prebuilts for a good price though?

i'm not going to act like i know much about the prebuilt cycle, but with the pricing of these chips, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see these implemented relatively quickly in that space.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
The review embargo doesn't end until next month. I can't help but think that combined with an ambiguous set of benchmarks has to do with this being an AMD-sponsored "leak" to drum up hype before launch. There is no good excuse as to why they aren't comparing the CPU directly to the i5-9600k if they are going to be pretty close to toe to toe as far as pricing concerns. The charts they have displayed aren't very conclusive and not at all professional.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. The CPU selection in the gaming benchmarks seems a little odd and perhaps cherry picked. I don't doubt that these will be fast, but something smells fishy here to me.

OP
OP

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
I think the hyperbole is largely due to AMD being so behind in CPU for so long combined with Intel stagnation and constantly changing sockets and chipsets to an excessive degree. It was especially irritating how they used process nodes to massively improve the IGP instead of spending more than token efforts on improving the actual CPU cores. Sure, if you use integrated graphics it's okayish, but let's be honest, even the best Intel IGP went from terrible to moderately less terrible, yet on your typical Intel s115x die, the damn IGP uses half the space and transistor count, utterly worthless for dGPU users unless they've got a major use case for quicksync.

The truth is that AMD has bumped up from second rate to competent (1000 series) to very good (2000 series) to a full rough equal (but with more cores for the $) in pretty short order (3000 series). All on one socket :)

For gamers with recent Intel builds, it's a big meh. But for new builds or upgrades to 1000/2000 series, it's stellar.

At least that's the way I parse the hyperbole. Intel is of course fine, and making stacks of cash.
It was meant to be just hyperbole. Intel will remain just fine (their marketshare not, tho). But Party poopers forget we are in ERA and not Forbes.

Also, your post is spot on.

To those whining, sorry if I didn't write a serious tittle in a fucking forum.

Nov 8, 2017
Wait for the more comprehensive review coverage to hit. Too few games to draw overall conclusions, needs memory testing, and we need to see what if anything scales to the 8c and 12c gaming parts

This is clearly a site that unofficially sourced their chip, and hence isn't under embargo.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I got the PC with a GTX 1660 for ~£600, so it was a good deal. It's got a crappy A320 motherboard though.

Yeah I dont follow PCs that much so didn't realise Zen 2 was so close. How long would it take to trickle down into prebuilts for a good price though?

That's a tough call.

If you return it, you'll probably pay more for a Ryzen 3600 equipped system. They'll have to source a more expensive motherboard as well as the more expensive 3600.

OP
OP

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Wait for the more comprehensive review coverage to hit. Too few games to draw overall conclusions, needs memory testing, and we need to see what if anything scales to the 8c and 12c gaming parts

This is clearly a site that unofficially sourced their chip, and hence isn't under embargo.
Yeah, I can't deny that. We still have to see how will it perform with final BIOSs and motherboards. How will it scale with more cores, so on and so forth.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Good initial results for the cheapest Ryzen 3000 model, although I will wait to see proper reviews of 8c and 12c models [with memory that's higher than 3200MHz] and overclocking results.

What does this mean for next gen consoles? Nothing? Alright then!
It means that nextgen consoles are getting TOP TIER desktop CPU, which will be a far cry from low power netbook CPU PS4 and Xbone got.

Do AMD CPU work well with NVIDIA GPUs or are there any problems?
No issues.

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
It was meant to be just hyperbole. Intel will remain just fine (their marketshare not, tho). But Party poopers forget we are in ERA and not Forbes.

Also, your post is spot on.

To those whining, sorry if I didn't write a serious tittle in a fucking forum.

Haha true. And even Intel fans (I'm not a corporate fan of anything, but I realize some are) have to realize that AMD being excellent I good news for everyone. If AMD hadn't cooked their rears with Athlon 64, they would have probably kept charging big $ for P4 netburst variants. Ditto Athlon XP and DDR making RDRAM and Willamette look stupid.

Mark my words, Ryzen2 will make for better future Intel options than would otherwise have been offered.

Oct 27, 2017

Same boat. Some of these tests are bad benchmarking, ain't no fucking way you will have a fraction of the frame of difference, those are GPU capped.

We got time, I hope that a week before launch will be explosive with good leaks, and with 7/7 embargo we will have a really good idea how Zen 2 stacks again Intel, and how it performs in X470/X570 boards.

Nov 8, 2017
Same boat. Some of these tests are bad benchmarking, ain't no fucking way you will have a fraction of the frame of difference, those are GPU capped.

We got time, I hope that a week before launch will be explosive with good leaks, and with 7/7 embargo we will have a really good idea how Zen 2 stacks again Intel, and how it performs in X470/X570 boards.

Don't forget the crown jewel of coverage, Digital Foundry's inevitable video where they downclock an 8c chip to 3. 2ghz and try to work out how next gen systems will perform, haha

OP
OP

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017

I bet next week we'll get tons of leaks.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
That's a tough call.

If you return it, you'll probably pay more for a Ryzen 3600 equipped system. They'll have to source a more expensive motherboard as well as the more expensive 3600.

Yeah I'll probably keep it. I want it to last me well over 5 years though, so I wonder how long a 2600 would hold up.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
As a further question, I often see people having issues with AMD GPUs for certain games, usually down to AMD being slow with new drivers. Any issues with their CPUs? Was hearing their single core performance always lagged behind Intel, but that was some years ago.

I think this is all I need to make the jump to AMD CPUs, I was going to get a i9 9900k, but I think I may get whatever AMDs cheaper equivalent is.

Yeah the last 10+ years or even more the CPU market was dominated by Intel and the absolutely insane Sandy Bridge i5 2500K basically was where Intel made a big jump and showed the world what a good CPU, especially for that price, should look like. I actually still use the [email protected] to this day.
And ever since then Intel was better in the CPU segment and always better in the single core performance.

We will see what the 8c/16t models do (3700X and 3800X) and the direct competitor the 3900X with 12c/24t.

I feel confident and positive about Ryzen 3000 and since the 9900K is power hungry and hot (and to a degree expensive) I have no real interest in intel, because they are a little bit too stingy for what they give us.

I will probably buy an 3700X and increase the power limit and maybe get a slight overclock out of it. Games scale pretty well with additional frequency from CPUs and if the 3600 review from today is any indication then I think the higher end models will give us a very close race between Intel and AMD. The most exciting one is going to be 9900K vs 3900X because both are $499.
Considering the 3600 is like 4.2GHZ max turbo and the 3900X is 4.6GHZ I bet we are going to see a 10% jump (probably even more than that because you have 2x the amount of cores/threads).

But I think it also needs to be said that there are still valid reasons to buy Intel. Lets say you have a good CPU cooler and a z390 motherboard (or whatever works well with the 9900K) then I guess it is cheaper to go 9900K than buy a new X570 + Ryzen CPU.

Only thing that bothers me are the X570 prices, even though one might argue that the price is justified, I prefer to spend around 100-150$ on a mainboard because most features are not needed, but X570 seem to start at around $199? it is the cheapest I have seen in leaks.

Sorry my post is getting long. TLDR: Intel in general has a better single core performance yes, but I bet AMD is going to be extremely close. especially on the same-priced-part the 3900X which runs at 4.6GHZ max turbo.

zeioIIDX

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
I'm SO glad I went with a GPU upgrade the other month instead of the Intel CPU I was gonna get. I might have to go back to AMD now if I can find a decent motherboard that won't break my bank. VR 'bout to be extra happy lol.

Dec 23, 2018
You can get that chip, the mobo and ram for less than what just a 9900k cost thats insane value for a mid range system.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
So, benchmarks in a week, and release in 2 weeks... It's gonna be fun getting proper impressions from reviewers. :)

I'm especially interested in B350 support and comparisons with Ryzen R5 1600.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So let's say I was to buy a top of the line computer with this chip in it. What game could I use to show it off?

Dec 23, 2018
So let's say I was to buy a top of the line computer with this chip in it. What game could I use to show it off?
You are not going to buy a top of the line computer with this chip because this is a mid range chip. If you are going to buy a top of the line personal computer you are going to get the 3850x. And then you are probably going to show it off by running blender and a game at the same time or something because 16 physical core 32 thread is so over the line no game will fully utilize it for the next 3-4 years

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
The review embargo doesn't end until next month. I can't help but think that combined with an ambiguous set of benchmarks has to do with this being an AMD-sponsored "leak" to drum up hype before launch. There is no good excuse as to why they aren't comparing the CPU directly to the i5-9600k if they are going to be pretty close to toe to toe as far as pricing concerns. The charts they have displayed aren't very conclusive and not at all professional.

I think the end result is going to be that the i5-9600k and this chip will be neck and neck as far as gaming performance and the 3600 will beat it out in some non-gaming applications.

It's just a terrible review. I agree that most "leaks" aren't actually leaks. But this is clearly someone just rushing things for the hits. No way would AMD sponsor a leak that was done by someone with a completely busted setup. His BIOS settings are a mess. He had trouble with the Memory (and it clearly shows in some of the tests). Couldn't overclock a single Mhz without crashing the system. It's a mess of a system that shouldn't be benching anything at the moment. AMD would "sponser" a leaker who was much more flattering than this mess.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Yeah this is gonna be bad for Intel.

New generation of consoles, people finally building new PCs. Ryzen is gonna be cheap and very competitive.

I don't know why anyone would build an Intel machine.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Should I wait next year for this? I'm probably gonna try and get an i7 8700 rtx 2070 or i5 9400 rtx 2080 prebuilt come Black Friday this year and I'm getting the Xbox Scorpio 2 next year

Dec 23, 2018
Yeah this is gonna be bad for Intel.

New generation of consoles, people finally building new PCs. Ryzen is gonna be cheap and very competitive.

I don't know why anyone would build an Intel machine.
Intel is probably going to hope for name recognition and inertia as their primary sources of sales till they can unfuck their processes and they can release a consumer desktop 7nm chip with built in silicon mitigation for whatever bullshit exploits are gonna be coming out soon.

Intel processors are still probably going to be better (albeit by a negligible amount) over AMD ones in just pure gaming, but if you use your computer for anything else, want to pay less, generate less heat and consume less energy, intel cant compete.

Did AMD is supporting AVX512 as Intel does?
Consumer Intel chips do not support AVX512, AMDs dont either.

OP
OP

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Should I wait next year for this? I'm probably gonna try and get an i7 8700 rtx 2070 or i5 9400 rtx 2080 prebuilt come Black Friday this year and I'm getting the Xbox Scorpio 2 next year
I mean, these processor come in 2 weeks. So, yeah, wait a little.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA

Good looking games are much more dependent on GPUs now days. The market for GPUs is not that great right now, with NVIDIA being the only big player.

This chip with a RTX2080 should play anything.

Best graphics wise recent game is probably Metro Exodus.

DeathMonk

Oct 28, 2017
These chips are going to look even better with 3600/3733mhz memory.

If they can overclock to 4.4-4.5 it'll be a killer all around cpu.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Did AMD is supporting AVX512 as Intel does?
No. Last line:
index.php

TCi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hasty review, limited samples, not final bios. For what it is it is impressive. But this is far from a good indication of performance. I hope no one decide anything from this. Let's wait for proper reviews, with good samples and setups.

The biggest takeaway from it is its performance compared to 2700X. Looking forward to 2 weeks from now. Going to upgrade in August myself, as I bought the 2700 last year in perparation for Zen 2.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
Only thing that bothers me are the X570 prices, even though one might argue that the price is justified, I prefer to spend around 100-150$ on a mainboard because most features are not needed, but X570 seem to start at around $199? it is the cheapest I have seen in leaks.

Then buy a X470 or B450 board. Problemo solvedo.