• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Well, complain to publishers about doing those deals instead of acting like the existence of an alternative to DLSS is a bad thing.

Honestly some posts around these topics suggest that some people would like it if the only GPU manufacturer was Nvidia and everyone else exited the market.

Nah, this is the one part I do agree with. In a vacuum FSR is a good thing, in practice it's been part of an effort by AMD to stop games from getting DLSS, which sucks. Yes, publishers should not be doing those deals, but AMD also shouldn't be offering them. All PC games should get all 3 reconstructions.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Well, complain to publishers about doing those deals instead of acting like the existence of an alternative to DLSS is a bad thing.

Honestly some posts around these topics suggest that some people would like it if the only GPU manufacturer was Nvidia and everyone else exited the market.
That's how these people have always been like.

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry, I thought I made it obvious enough. My point is that without implementing the same type of hardware-accelerated machine learning that Nvidia has, I don't see any way that AMD can release an upscaling technique that is even close to what DLSS is capable of, but that hasn't stopped the hype machine prior to the release of every iteration of FSR. I want AMD to provide a viable alternative to Nvidia GPUs too, but I don't think deluding myself and others into thinking that FSR is ever going to be on the same level as DLSS on its current trajectory is helpful towards that end.
But seriously, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here with the number of people gaslighting us that it was never touted as a DLSS killer. For both iterations!

Maybe AMD themselves didn't say the magic words, but the less responsible tech outlets totally were. Right?

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
People seem to have already decided that it's going to be 90% of a 4090 in raster
You've even got Linus showing estimations of just that...

If it was that close for $600 less I think that'd be something they would mention though, even if it's lacking RT wise
(or more like they would price it higher)
90% is probably a bit too bullish. 80 - 85% would be great already.

People think it's 90% of the 4090 by applying a 1.5 multiplier to the average performance of the 6950XT and using the techpowerup benchmark posted earlier in the thread. Amd said the 7900XTX is up to 1.7 times faster than the 6950xt, but we don't know for sure if the average is 1.5 or lower.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
60% of the power? We already know the TGPs, right? I gues we don't know actual power draw as the 4090 also doesn't hit 450W in most games due to voltage limits.
I'd assume it depends on if you're OC'ing? Idunno; I haven't taken my 4090 out of the box, but I imagine I could push it pretty hard in something like Destiny 2 by increasing the render resolution to +200% (effectively forcing the engine to render the game at 8K) with unlocked framerates.

When I do that on my 3090 my battery backup alarm goes off because the power draw for the total system eclipses 1000W.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
But seriously, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here with the number of people gaslighting us that it was never touted as a DLSS killer. For both iterations!

Maybe AMD themselves didn't say the magic words, but the less responsible tech outlets totally were. Right?

The bolded is the important part. Nobody ever said irresponsible YouTubers didn't make wild claims, but they don't justify terms like "snake oil" when FSR, as far as I know, has never been anything less than what it was marketed as by AMD.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, I thought I made it obvious enough. My point is that without implementing the same type of hardware-accelerated machine learning that Nvidia has, I don't see any way that AMD can release an upscaling technique that is even close to what DLSS is capable of, but that hasn't stopped the hype machine prior to the release of every iteration of FSR. I want AMD to provide a viable alternative to Nvidia GPUs too, but I don't think deluding myself and others into thinking that FSR is ever going to be on the same level as DLSS on its current trajectory is helpful towards that end.
www.techpowerup.com

Ghostwire Tokyo: DLSS vs. TSR vs. FSR Comparison Review

Ghostwire Tokyo recently released on PC with support for NVIDIA's Deep Learning Super Sampling (DLSS), Unreal Engine's Temporal Super Resolution (TSR) and AMD's FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR). In this mini-review, we take a look at and compare the image quality and performance offered by...

Where's the delusion? FSR2 works extremely well and looks highly comparable to DLSS2.

It works much better than FSR1. And let's not kid ourselves, DLSS1 made the image looked like smeary, oily shit.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
FSR 3.0 on RDNA2 (PS5 and XBox) could be huge! 🙀

We'll have to see. It might very well require the enhanced AI capabilities of rDNA3, and we don't know what the performance costs might be, given how FSR 2 in Scorn supposedly pushes the Series X pretty hard.

I could see FSR 3 becoming a major feature for the mid-gen consoles. Have it be properly accelerated by the AI hardware of what would hopefully be "rDNA3.5" custom chips and they could push visuals and performance really hard without even increasing native resolutions.

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
The bolded is the important part. Nobody ever said irresponsible YouTubers didn't make wild claims, but they don't justify terms like "snake oil" when FSR, as far as I know, has never been anything less than what it was marketed as by AMD.
I mean we're talking about ostensibly respectable journlistic outfits here like HUB and TPU, not youtube randos who throw out whatever fanboy shit they come up with out of their ass like MLiD

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
We'll have to see. It might very well require the enhanced AI capabilities of rDNA3, and we don't know what the performance costs might be, given how FSR 2 in Scorn supposedly pushes the Series X pretty hard.

I could see FSR 3 becoming a major feature for the mid-gen consoles. Have it be properly accelerated by the AI hardware of what would hopefully be "rDNA3.5" custom chips and they could push visuals and performance really hard without even increasing native resolutions.
Yeah it was mostly wishful thinking. 😅

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I mean we're talking about ostensibly respectable journlistic outfits here like HUB and TPU, not youtube randos who throw out whatever fanboy shit they come up with out of their ass like MLiD

Yeah, but HUB seems to have a bit of a problem with AMD favoritism. Since DLSS came out they've attacked it, when 2.0 arrived and everyone else was marveling at it they went "it's pretty good I guess but we were still right about 1.0", and now that DLSS 3 has arrived they're using terms like "fake frames" and apparently estimating that you need at least 80 "real frames" per second for it to be worthwhile, while someone like Alex from DF tested it rigorously and found it to look great with half that.

Yeah it was mostly wishful thinking. 😅

An AMD GPU thread wouldn't be complete without it.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
It would also not be complete without people talking down anything AMD did, does and will do with their GPU's and software.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
Imagine downplaying the company that bought us Ryzen…smh

We'd be currently upgrading to 14nm+++++++++++++++++++ intel processors if it wasn't for them so I give them the benefit of the doubt, rdna3 is gonna be big.

PolygonFlux

Jan 1, 2018
Not sure if it's the latest patch, or the fact that I upgraded my Nvidia drivers to the new hotfix version (as per IW's instructions to do so), but I am getting horrible stuttering when I didn't before...

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017

In the interview posted earlier, they said they are trying to make it work on older GPUs and that why it's coming next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.