• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

pestul

Oct 25, 2017
The boardrooms for this card were definitely still centred around the mining craze being in full swing. I really hope that AMD doesn't lose a lot of money when the price has to crater straight away. That said they might just produce a very low volume of them too.

Oticon

Oct 30, 2017
As expected, it's just Vega on 7 nm, I don't know why people expected something amazing.

Temperance

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
Ouch this all looks pretty bad, a shame because we really need competition in the GPU market. Save us Epi.....nvm.
:(

Deleted member 10847

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dont know why people are so suprised, we already knew that this is Vega at 7nm, what were people expecting?

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Price is the killer with these (probably availability too). It's a good performer, though a bit behind the 2080 except in Frostbite games, and NVIDIA has utterly dropped the ball with both pricing and RTX features. Problem is that there's not a lot recommending the VII.

At $499 this would have been a disruptive offering in the GPU market, easily more compelling than the 2070 and significantly cheaper than the 2080, which is mostly available only at inflated prices.

At $699 it's basically a little cheaper and a little slower in most games than the 2080. NVIDIA supports FreeSync now so that's no longer an advantage, and NVIDIA's cards are more forward-looking in terms of features.

That BFV performance though! NVIDIA struggles with Frostbite in general in DX12 particularly. Other games eh not so much lol.

pestul

Oct 25, 2017
Dont know why people are so suprised, we already knew that this is Vega at 7nm, what were people expecting?
Maybe a sizable amount better than the Vega 64 just from the node shrink. Only being barely ahead and still suffering from the power, heat and noise issues is weird.

Oct 25, 2017
Sure they havent been competing at the high end for about ten years now right? Shame NVidia only has 1.5 cards faster than the Vii then (counting the 2080 as faster, which is kinda marginal and it probably wont be in any decently forward looking technology game rather than dodgyass generic ue4 titles,, but i'll give it .5)...

I'd hate to see if they did compete!

Totally, maybe then it wouldn't take them two years and a node shrink to match a card like the 1080 Ti and have customers crossing their fingers hoping drivers sort the rest. But yeah, super great, and Nvidia's RT tech is just old hat. *eye rolls into infinity*

Deleted member 10847

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe a sizable amount better than the Vega 64 just from the node shrink. Only being barely ahead and still suffering from the power, heat and noise issues is weird.

Its not only barely ahead, and the card even has less CU than Vega 64 (60 vs 64). They invested the node reduction to get higher clocks, not power savings. If they went for power saving they would get the same Vega 64 perf for lower power (since the specs are basically the same)

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
The Computerbase article is titled "Too loud, too slow and too expensive, but with 16 GB HBM2".

That's a bit blunt, but seems accurate enough. Based on the tests it's a 7nm-ported Vega 64, with the improvements which can be expected from that (somewhat higher efficiency and/or clock).

What I'd see as concerning is that even with a significant process advantage and while not offering several of the hardware features included in the latest NV hardware, AMD cannot currently match NV's efficiency. This gap will only grow when NV makes the process jump too. AMD really need a new architecture.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also it should be noted that street prices of the 2080 are a good deal higher than the MSRP of VII. A few cards at $699, most closer to $800, a few custom cards at $900... that's a lot to pay for ray-tracing in a single game, which is only playable at 1080p on the 2080...

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also it should be noted that street prices of the 2080 are a good deal higher than the MSRP of VII. A few cards at $699, most closer to $800, a few custom cards at $900... that's a lot to pay for ray-tracing in a single game, which is only playable at 1080p on the 2080...

Yeah this is true too. Most 2080s are at $800, not $699.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Also it should be noted that street prices of the 2080 are a good deal higher than the MSRP of VII. A few cards at $699, most closer to $800, a few custom cards at $900...
Here the street price of a Radeon VII is 749€ and the 2080 is 669€. We'll have to see how that develops in a few weeks, but it doesn't look enticing at all even if you absolutely don't want any RTX features and don't care about power consumption.

(I don't think comparing prices to high-end third party 2080 models makes sense given the Radeon VII noise results)

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here the street price of a Radeon VII is 749€ and the 2080 is 669€. We'll have to see how that develops in a few weeks, but it doesn't look enticing at all even if you absolutely don't want any RTX features and don't care about power consumption.

(I don't think comparing prices to high-end third party 2080 models makes sense given the Radeon VII noise results)

At those prices yeah, the VII doesn't look enticing at all. Here's current situation for 2080 in the US:

http://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/rtx2080/

Again, though, I stand by this- $699 is way too high for this Vega update. Even $599, that's around the price of a 2070, much more tempting.

taggen86

Mar 3, 2018
Curse of Party Raja lives on

94D90D739B5BB5A1F2FDFBBC0FF52D0B0DFECE62

The problem is not Raja. The problem is that AMD has not invested enough man years and money to develop a new GPU architecture. He clearly didn't have enough resources to do so. They are still using the old GCN architecture they have used for years, while Nvidia seems to improve performance per core regularly. Just look at Turing. Turing beats pascal per core 30-50 percent even though they are more or less on the same node. Meanwhile, the radeon 7 performs like a Vega 64 at the same clocks. That is terrible. Hopefully Sony and Microsoft provided lots of resources for navi so they can finally leave the cursed GCN architecture.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
At those prices yeah, the VII doesn't look enticing at all. Here's current situation for 2080 in the US:

http://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/rtx2080/

Again, though, I stand by this- $699 is way too high for this Vega update. Even $599, that's around the price of a 2070, much more tempting.
There seem to be several pretty good models in stock at 699 USD at your link too though (as I said, given VII noise results, I see no reason to compare to the higher-end third party models). Still, it's interesting to see a situation where EU prices for GPUs in € are actually cheaper than US prices in $, that hasn't been the case for a while now.

I agree that the VII would be far more disruptive at 599, but even if it's less expensive now than it used to be I don't think the HBM2 makes that price point appealing for this card from a business perspective.

Riflen

Nov 13, 2017
AMD stated that RTX 2080 pricing allowed Radeon VII to exist. Beforehand it was simply not feasible to launch it, considering the cost of manufacture. It was basically plan B if Navi was not going to be ready to show for some time.
They don't expect to sell many of these really. They simply divert a limited number of MI50s into different packaging. Radeon VII exists purely as a way to keep RTG in the press somewhat as Navi was not ready to show at CES.

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
And? The tech is there and available for anyone to use, and there will be more in the coming months. Each title that supports it is one more than AMD will have for the foreseeable future.

Metro coming out in a couple of days. It's going to look glorious with RTX. The only case someone can make for this Radeon card is if they want VRR on HDMI which is a good feature.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this looks like a paper launch basically. Sold out everywhere already. I bet they made less than 50k units of these. Purely a stopgap card that they put out just to have something showing up in higher end benches.

Riflen

Nov 13, 2017
Yeah, this looks like a paper launch basically. Sold out everywhere already. I bet they made less than 50k units of these. Purely a stopgap card that they put out just to have something showing up in higher end benches.

50,000? Launch day allocation for the whole of the UK was ~100 and 20 apiece for France and Spain.
I should clarify; not 20 thousand, 20 units for an entire country.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Rich posted his video - and now that it is out, I kinda want to say that this is an awkward GPU launch. Other than the highlighted point of using 16 GB of VRAM for editing video on the cheap while foresaking CUDA, I am not sure what this GPU is about.

Phinor

Oct 27, 2017
Metro coming out in a couple of days. It's going to look glorious with RTX. The only case someone can make for this Radeon card is if they want VRR on HDMI which is a good feature.

Really curious about Metro Exodus and RTX features, especially the performance. But have they confirmed it will be available at launch? I wouldn't be surprised if it's "summer 2019" or something like that considering how slow and weak the rollout has been for RTX features so far.

I think Gamersnexus put it quite well in the Radeon VII review: it was hard for gamers to care about non-existent RTX features at RTX2080 launch and it's still hard to care about those features with the Radeon VII launch and its lack of RTX features.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
While I understand this is the gaming side of Era, this card fits AMDs current MO down to a T. Just like their CPUs, they make products that are great for productivity first, and can also game on the side.
From the brief benchmarks I saw on both Gamers Nexus and LTT, the thing absolutely screams in productivity compared to even the 2080Ti, so approaching this card as a purely gaming product is already the wrong mindset. I'm glad AMD are still putting in work and putting out products, but seeing all the negative press because it doesn't do it's secondary function quite as well as Nvidia's arguably primary function is a little disappointing.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, results ar
While I understand this is the gaming side of Era, this card fits AMDs current MO down to a T. Just like their CPUs, they make products that are great for productivity first, and can also game on the side.
From the brief benchmarks I saw on both Gamers Nexus and LTT, the thing absolutely screams in productivity compared to even the 2080Ti, so approaching this card as a purely gaming product is already the wrong mindset. I'm glad AMD are still putting in work and putting out products, but seeing all the negative press because it doesn't do it's secondary function quite as well as Nvidia's arguably primary function is a little disappointing.
Haven't had a chance to watch yet. Where do they excel in productivity? I know working with 4K video is improved thanks to the memory. Anything else?

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
This is all great and all but we are a gaming forum and secondly we are all nervous about next gen console performance with how terrible its doing.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Rich posted his video - and now that it is out, I kinda want to say that this is an awkward GPU launch. Other than the highlighted point of using 16 GB of VRAM for editing video on the cheap while foresaking CUDA, I am not sure what this GPU is about.
They get to claim the world's first 7nm GPU.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Big pass as predicted. The rumors of Navi are really interesting, though, in the possible disruption of mid range GPUs. Supposedly a 2070 equivalent for half the cost of the 2070 this summer (was delayed from March due to some hardware bug they had to fix).

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
sitting here with a Zen and have been wanting to pair it with a AMD GPU for so damn long now, but its still not worth it. How do they keep dropping the ball like this?

Come on AMD, this is getting nuts

Oct 29, 2017
Seems like one should wait for 3-slot coolers from partners if interested in the card. Maybe this should have had a reference model like the R9 Fury X.

x3sphere

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't seem like a good buy and I've been pretty supportive of AMD products in the past.

I wonder how much this card stands to gain from driver optimization also considering it isn't a huge difference from Vega 10. At the same price, I don't see much disadvantage of going with RTX 2080 even if you don't care about ray-tracing. The main factors I see are if you need the compute capabilities or VRR over HDMI for TVs.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
One niche audience I was thinking this card might be good for: dedicated Linux gamers who want high performance cards for Proton. nVidia's Linux drivers are known to be crappy.

Has anyone done Linux-specific benchmarks? Might be interesting to see.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
By the time Navi hits Nvidia probably launch a more polished RTX and hopefully cheaper.
Why? If RVII is of any indication of what AMD plan to do in the future they'll just price their similar performing Navi cards accordingly to where Turing cards are now.
I also wouldn't expect NV to launch anything new until spring 2020 most likely as AMD has already said that RVII will be their fastest GPU for this year which means that there's very little reason for NV to do anything with Turing beside some pricing adjustments.
The biggest factor which might force them to release something new before 2020 is Turing's slow sales. But it remains to be seen if this will be enough for NV to change their roadmaps.

Its not only barely ahead, and the card even has less CU than Vega 64 (60 vs 64). They invested the node reduction to get higher clocks, not power savings. If they went for power saving they would get the same Vega 64 perf for lower power (since the specs are basically the same)
While Vega 20 is very similar to Vega 10 it's still a different chip made for a different market. The fact that most (if not all) HPC/DL features of Vega 20 doesn't work in RVII (are disabled or simply remain unused in gaming) doesn't mean that they don't consume additional power.

Nvidia RT tech is basically tech demo, 5 months with basically 1 RTX game.
There are more coming and I wonder - how long do you think does it take to make an AAA game these days? DXR was made available in spring 2018, without h/w acceleration (via Titan V), released to consumers in autumn 2018 basically alongside Turing cards. It's been less than a year since developers actually had any access to DXR to add it into their games.

From the brief benchmarks I saw on both Gamers Nexus and LTT, the thing absolutely screams in productivity compared to even the 2080Ti
There's a catch to these benchmarks - most of them compare cards in OpenCL while NV cards are usually a lot faster when using CUDA. There's also a lot of productivity software which is using CUDA only.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, results ar

Haven't had a chance to watch yet. Where do they excel in productivity? I know working with 4K video is improved thanks to the memory. Anything else?

Just the ones cherry picked from Linus' review, but as dgrdsv quite rightly points out, it's very much dependent on OpenCL/CUDA for who takes the win. Maybe I was bullish to call it "better at productivity" without an asterisk or two :P

This is all great and all but we are a gaming forum and secondly we are all nervous about next gen console performance with how terrible its doing.

From what we understand, Navi appears to have been made in conjunction with Sony for the PS5 specifically, and the main metric being pointed out is roughly 1080 performance at $300. While not a huge leap for graphics as a whole, it'll be a pretty large jump for the consoles, along with a good boost to the mid/low end on the PC, where AMD usually shines.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Radeon VII level of performance in a ~$500 console in 2019/2020 would be the deal of the century. Whatever is going in the next gen boxes is probably not even going to perform at that level.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
One niche audience I was thinking this card might be good for: dedicated Linux gamers who want high performance cards for Proton. nVidia's Linux drivers are known to be crappy.

Has anyone done Linux-specific benchmarks? Might be interesting to see.

I was in this camp but now seeing it doesn't perform _that_ much better than the vega 64 I just bought the latter today.
Nvidia drivers for linux are good for what they do and they're faster than the AMD ones. They basically just have 1 driver and "kernel interfaces" to that driver for windows and linux.

But the moment you need something that requires a bit more than plain opengl like what proton does with translating directx->vulkan I think the AMD (and intel) stuff will be better.
Since I haven't used amd cards since they were named ATI I can't say for sure but I didn't want to go nvidia again at least this time.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this is a card they just relabeled and tossed on the market just to have something, until their other cards arrive.

$700 is pretty laughable given the benchmarks. C'mon AMD!