• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
www.polygon.com

โ€˜Meme stockโ€™ rally rescues AMC Theatres from $600M debt

Theater chain gets unexpected lifeline when private equity trades a corporate IOU for stock

Wiping out more than half-a-billion dollars in debt, though, should take a lot of pressure off AMC in the short term. "A week ago, it was not crazy to think this company was doomed," Bloomberg's Matt Levine wrote on Thursday. "Now it is entirely possible that it will survive and thrive and show movies in movie theaters for decades to come because everyone went nuts and bought meme stocks this week."

AMC Theaters may have been saved and will now stand a much higher chance of surviving coronavirus all because redditors went bonkers this week when it came to stocks. AMC's fate was really shaky before this week.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is only one way: Up! ๐Ÿš€

๐Ÿš€๐Ÿš€๐Ÿš€๐Ÿš€๐Ÿš€๐Ÿš€๐Ÿš€๐Ÿš€๐Ÿš€๐Ÿš€๐Ÿš€

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
That's wild lol. I'm happy they'll have a chance to survive, wouldn't want theaters to fully die out from this pandemic.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Can't wait to watch the hit Sony Meme Movie at the AMC theaters!

SlyCoug88

Jan 10, 2018
I'm going to lose money on the single share I bought, but happy to feel like I contributed in some small way to the future of theaters.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Unlike GameStop they're smart enough to dilute the shit out of this and take advantage of retail investors

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California
I'm pretty sure AMC said they were able to secure funding to survive the pandemic before this big rally happened.

This is why it was pretty safe to invest big on AMC with plans to hold until after the pandemic even if the memes don't skyrocket next week

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to lose money on the single share I bought, but happy to feel like I contributed in some small way to the future of theaters.
You and me brother

M1QhRrI.png

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Haha this is quite fantastic.

To think, while corporations are certainly a huge force in our society. These asshole hedge funders do even more so, without providing any essential service at all. That's what they get for betting against a company, and actively trying to kill it off.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
So glad they are now likely to survive. The best theater in my area is an AMC and it would be shame to see it go.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
Diamond Hands (2022), an Adam McKay film starring Luke Wilson, based on the book of the same name by Michael Lewis. Coming to your local AMC theater.

im-292293

odiin

Oct 27, 2017
Somebody better make a movie about this.

and release it direct to streaming.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Another way to look at it is that a bunch of creditors that had very little chance to be repaid by AMC got their money from retail investors instead.

Oct 28, 2017
I like A-List quite a lot and I like the Dolby theater. Regal and Alamo's offerings weren't quite as good. So I'm quite pleased they'll survive.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't they just announce 900m in financing that would keep them afloat through most of this year though?

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how this actually matters to GameStop and AMC business long term. Once this thing blows over they are both going to have to face the problem of their businesses being nearly obsolete (GS much moreso than AMC, I do think theatres have a future)

Khamsinvera

Oct 31, 2017
Diamond Hands (2022), an Adam McKay film starring Luke Wilson, based on the book of the same name by Michael Lewis. Coming to your local AMC theater.

im-292293

DFV, who is part contributed to AMC's stock rise, should get a lifetime AMC pass inc. all the snacks he & his family can eat. Also, they need to have tendies on the menu from now on.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
As much as I want theaters to survive, AMC doesn't deserve it. They're a shitty company that treats their employees like shit.

Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand how this actually matters to GameStop and AMC business long term. Once this thing blows over they are both going to have to face the problem of their businesses being nearly obsolete (GS much moreso than AMC, I do think theatres have a future)
Theaters will continue be around as long as they make going more and more of an experience.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017

when you raise money, you're diluting the value of stocks essentially

so if you triple the market cap, you can essentially triple the amount of money raised without changing the rate in which shares are diluted.

(though this isn't the same, but it does show how the market cap of a company can save it)

OP
OP
Lump

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't they just announce 900m in financing that would keep them afloat through most of this year though?

Yeah but now they don't have a sword of damocles comprised of debt hanging over their head if shit doesn't recover fast enough. The chances of AMC becoming the next Toys R Us are greatly diminished.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Another way to look at it is that a bunch of creditors that had very little chance to be repaid by AMC got their money from retail investors instead.
Some of them even converted their credit to stocks this week and made "the trade of a lifetime thanks to the basement bandits."

Their business model is still dying but atleast they now can die a little slower

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Hmm, this almost makes me think that letting equity firms that control all of the capital bet *against* the companies that need that capital is a conflict of interest and a bad idea!

JohnsonUT

Oct 27, 2017
In Amc's case it buys them time to figure out a new business model that isn't shrinking. It is unlikely though they are able to do it.

I don't know if Gamestop has done anything to take advantage and raise cash. If they haven't, this does nothing for them.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
WE LIKE THE STOCK.

Memes aside, i love theaters, and honestly wouldn't like them to disappear, streaming just isn't the same.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
I was on the verge selling my stocks before the weekend

but now I'll hold. I am up 50%

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
I made a quick buck on AMC but if that helped saved the company and possibly lots of jobs as well, thats kinda cool.

Fox318

Oct 25, 2017
I actually miss going to the movies.

Something nice about having zero distractions.