Status
Not open for further replies.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Just a little game. I know Amazon is not the whole picture of the world, or even one market since people buy games from lots of places, but since it is easy to track I was wondering, with black Friday fast approaching and the holiday season next, what your top 5 prediction list would be?

Thus far 2018 (Excluding Gift cards, controllers and consoles of course)

1. Smash
  2. Mario Odyssey
  3. Mario Kart 8 DX
  4. Mario Party
  5. Zelda
  6. GoW
  7. Spider Man
  8. Red Dead
  9. Mario Tennis
  10. DK tropical Freeze
*Surprised to see so many Nintendo games on top (Considering their weird relationship not to long ago). I guess most people buy PSN and Xbox live cards to buy games instead of buying the games directly?

**Edit: Adding the link:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2018/videogames/ref=zg_bs_tab_t_bsar

Last edited:

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
Where is GTA V?

I think it would be in a top 10 sales list in 2018 still...

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony games only recently returned to Amazon right, or are they still having that tiff?

Regardless never count against Nintendo to print money.

>__

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Wow did not know Amazon was so off from 90%(?) market numbers: NPD.

Nov 3, 2017
Surprised to see so many Nintendo games on top (Considering their weird relationship not to long ago). I guess most people buy PSN and Xbox live cards to buy games instead of buying the games directly?

There was a month or so where it was impossible to pre-order any PS games on Amazon due to their fighting over stuff

brykuhn91

Oct 27, 2017
Smash has been the best selling game on amazon since October. It's crazy for a game not even out yet.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Smash Ultimate it's gonna be insane, probably the biggest Nintendo game opening in history.
Surely that kind of opening is reserved for a Pokemon game or maybe Mario Kart. And going by NPD chart numbers, sales on Amazon aren't very representative of what ends up selling the most...so I wouldn't take this chart as gospel.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
If you still for whatever reason use Amazon chart for sales then this should be the thread to convince you to stop doing that.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
From the last NPD report, Nintendo is currently the best-selling publisher of the year in the US despite releasing 0 blockbuster.

So yes, even if Amazon is skewed toward Nintendo games, it is also representative of the way Nintendo software sells (with some incredible legs).

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
I'm guessing this is something to do with the Amazon US and Sony stocking dispute that seemed to be going on a few months ago? The UK Amazon best seller list looks a lot closer to expectations and general sales

1) Red Dead Redemption 2
2) FIFA 19
3) Marvel's Spider-Man
4) God of War
5) Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
6) Spyro Trilogy Reignited
7) Call of Duty Black Ops 4
8) Shadow of the Colossus
9) Far Cry 5
10) Super Mario Odyssey

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
I'm guessing this is something to do with the Amazon US and Sony stocking dispute that seemed to be going on a few months ago? The UK Amazon best seller list looks a lot closer to expectations and general sales

1) Red Dead Redemption 2
2) FIFA 19
3) Marvel's Spider-Man
4) God of War
5) Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
9) Far Cry 5
10) Super Mario Odyssey
Spyro and shadow of the Colossus above Mario?
Lol, no.
UK is the weirdest video games territory in the world

OP
OP
Menx64

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
There was a month or so where it was impossible to pre-order any PS games on Amazon due to their fighting over stuff

That makes sense, and I am only remembering that now.

If you still for whatever reason use Amazon chart for sales then this should be the thread to convince you to stop doing that.

Not a 100% accurate picture, but still a big part of the picture I believe.

1) Red Dead Redemption 2
2) FIFA 19
3) Marvel's Spider-Man
4) God of War
5) Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
9) Far Cry 5
10) Super Mario Odyssey

That makes sense actually. I guess Smash and Pokemon will end 2 and 6 on many rankings.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Spyro and shadow of the Colossus above Mario?
Lol, no.
UK is the weirdest video games territory in the world
Nintendo was never that huge in the UK back in the day. Sonic and Crash were bigger than Mario. So the same level of nostalgia just simply isn't there. But it's not like Switch isn't selling well in the UK, it definitely is. Pokémon is huge here, as was DS, Wii.

But outside of a lesser performance from Nintendo, and FIFA of course, the UK and US top sellers aren't much different.
I was under the impression Nintendo does well in the UK, just not as well as they do everywhere else? That sounds like a far cry from "not a thing in the UK"...
Yes, Nintendo is totally a thing in the UK of course. But in the US, Nintendo is more than just a thing, it's a phenomenon.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Smash is so bad but it sells like hot cakes. Amazing performance by Nintendo.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Nintendo has the most and best evergreen titles, not surprising to see their games high on a list of annual sales.

That Smash Bros. attach rate is going to be pretty spectacular.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Not a 100% accurate picture, but still a big part of the picture I believe.
Go look at the npd chart and tell me if this represent a big part of the picture or anywhere close to that. Up to Sep. only MK8 is there for Nintendo and with October it should be out of the top 10.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Surely that kind of opening is reserved for a Pokemon game or maybe Mario Kart. And going by NPD chart numbers, sales on Amazon aren't very representative of what ends up selling the most...so I wouldn't take this chart as gospel.
smash is going to have the biggest launch on switch so far, by a huge margin. no doubt about it.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
From the last NPD report, Nintendo is currently the best-selling publisher of the year in the US despite releasing 0 blockbuster.

So yes, even if Amazon is skewed toward Nintendo games, it is also representative of the way Nintendo software sells (with some incredible legs).
Not really when you look at the best selling games of the year so far.

Year To Date
  1. Far Cry 5
  2. God of War 2018
  3. Marvel's Spider-Man
  4. Monster Hunter: World
  5. NBA 2K19
  6. Madden NFL 19^
  7. Grand Theft Auto V
  8. Call of Duty: WWII^
  9. Dragon Ball: Fighterz
  10. Mario Kart 8*

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow did not know Amazon was so off from 90%(?) market numbers: NPD.

It's what happens when they fight with every publisher and don't stock their games for long periods of time. That's likely the only reason a lot of nintendo stuff is ahead of the 2 big sony games and RDR 2.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It was quite a few months actually. Couldn't even get freaking PSN cards. GoW wasn't available physically the day it launched, which is why the digital SKU was bumped up a ton.
Glad it's over now at least.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Go look at the npd chart and tell me if this represent a big part of the picture or anywhere close to that. Up to Sep. only MK8 is there for Nintendo and with October it's should be out of the top 10.

Do you have a link to single SKU NPD charts for the year?

Typically NPD data combines Xbox/PS releases on software which gives it a different ranking when compared to single sku entries.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Do you have a link to single SKU NPD charts for the year?

Typically NPD data combines Xbox/PS releases on software which gives it a different ranking when compared to single sku entries.
That doesn't explain exclusives or how DK is selling higher than BO4 on PS4.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Not really when you look at the best selling games of the year so far.

Year To Date
  1. Far Cry 5
  2. God of War 2018
  3. Marvel's Spider-Man
  4. Monster Hunter: World
  5. NBA 2K19
  6. Madden NFL 19^
  7. Grand Theft Auto V
  8. Call of Duty: WWII^
  9. Dragon Ball: Fighterz
  10. Mario Kart 8*

I acknowledge the fact that it was skewing toward Nintendo. However, don't forget that your list is combining SKUs + counting digital (while excluding digital sales for Nintendo games) which Amazon does not.

Status
Not open for further replies.