Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Absurd. 1 month delay wouldn't cancel preorders, and releasing the same day as your OTHER exclusive for the year would be incredibly ridiculous.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
FXLThSZl.jpg

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Really doubt it's coming before infrastructure is in place for physical sales. June seems kind of optimistic.

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
Absurd. 1 month delay wouldn't cancel preorders, and releasing the same day as your OTHER exclusive for the year would be incredibly ridiculous.
If this is true then it would mean a delay for Ghost, which isn't too shocking since I'm sure working from home fucked their production timeline a bit.

Shrikey

Oct 27, 2017
Has there ever been a retailer who leaked legit release dates before they were officially announced?

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Whether it's June or later, I doubt I'm gonna be in the mindset for that kind of game regardless, but hope it's true for those that need it to take their mind off things.

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Only logic I can see is that a lateral delay may make some sense. Both titles, and all of us are in the same situation and we dont have a concrete end date in site.

So technically shifting everything forward together makes some sense. Ghosts will see the same length of delay that this game had.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
Seems plausible -- I think we're going to have a brief window in late Summer when things open up a bit and all sorts of delayed media is rushed out, and June 26 would be right on the edge of that. Follow that up with GoT in July.

Last edited:

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
I just learned that. Nonetheless, 1 month delay wouldn't help the situation either. Not many will be able to get the game physically even in June IMO.
It's not even true. Plenty of games have end of year place holder days on PSN, every single year.

store.playstation.com

Wasteland 3

In Wasteland 3 the fate of Arizona depends on the fate of Colorado. You’re a Desert Ranger, fighting a losing battle to keep your beloved Arizona alive, when the self-proclaimed Patriarch of Colorado radios, promising aid if you’ll do a job he can only entrust to an outsider—rescue his land from the

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Why would they say that it was delayed "indefinitely" if it was just a month? Seems fake to me.
Delayed indefinitely means...indefinitely. people assume that means a super long time. Indefinitely means....not definite, undefined. Just that it would be delayed some amount. Plus, uncharted 4 got delayed I think also just about a month at one point.

Charcoal

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I still don't think that would be enough time for Walmart to put out their cardboard stand-ups, since Sony wants to emphasize the "launch experience".

Nestunt

Oct 27, 2017
Porto, Portugal
I still believe that the unceremonious refunds were still related to possible legal stuff if you want to buy the now PS5 version of the game (akin to BoTW on Wii U and Switch).

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Oh sure, both will be playable on both systems. That's not in question. But if Sony can leverage the public's desire to play these games at their peak possible performance right at the moment of greatest possible hype - why wouldn't they?

Because that desire is limited to Era, not to the "public". Most people are not planning to buy PS5s at launch, maybe even the first year (most won't be able to, anyway) and also most people don't care as much about peak performance. But people do want to play it as soon as possible. I know I do, even though I planning on getting a PS5 ASAP. Also it is a PS4 game, designed for PS4.

So, that's why.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna throw my slip into the "doubt" hat as well. "Indefinite" doesn't have to mean a long time, but only delaying it a month seems like something they could've offhandedly posted on Twitter.

Oct 27, 2017
You're aware that they could also delay Tsushima by a month or so and that when they have no release date they have to refund pre-orders right?

Its a pandemic. Late June looks feasible, and Tshushima won't suffer by launching late July/early August

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
To anyone saying Amazon wouldn't know, while this could indeed be placeholder, release dates are communicated to retailers well ahead of the public, especially the big ones like Amazon. It's not hard to believe that if Sony has a new date for TLOU2, Amazon is aware of it.

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
I still believe that the unceremonious refunds were still related to possible legal stuff if you want to buy the now PS5 version of the game (akin to BoTW on Wii U and Switch).

The "now PS5 version of the game"? Do people really believe this?

There will be some confused people on Era when the game comes out on summer.

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna throw my slip into the "doubt" hat as well. "Indefinite" doesn't have to mean a long time, but only delaying it a month seems like something they could've offhandedly posted on Twitter.
A lot changes with the pandemic hour by hour, so 2 weeks of time is like a lifetime. They didn't know when the U.S. would have a peak in cases two weeks ago, but now many areas are hitting peak or starting to come down little by little, so a late June release seems reasonable if measures are followed through the summer. I don't think we should say they wouldn't have delayed indefinetly only to move it one month because this is a complete unknown scenario globally. Traditionally videogame delay rules/habits do not apply.

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
Fuck the last of us if it delays Ghost. I don't give a shit about it.

Give it another date or delay it furthur.

TLOU2 is the bigger and more expected game. I get that you want it more, so I don't know what to tell you other than you'll get to play it sooner or later.

Doubt it! Can't see them delaying it indefinitely for it to only be delayed until June.

While it may or may not come out in June, "indefinitely" literally means nothing other than "at the time, we couldn't commit to a specific date". It could be a delay of a couple of days or months - the wording would've been the same.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
TLOU2 is the bigger and more expected game. I get that you want it more, so I don't know what to tell you other than you'll get to play it sooner or later.

While it may or may not come out in June, "indefinitely" literally means nothing other than "at the time, we couldn't commit to a specific date". It could be a delay of a couple of days or months - the wording would've been the same.
I don't think they would have gone that route if it was going to release so shortly after the last release date. Remember, they had to refund everyone that preordered on PSN. They could have pushed the game out tentatively a month or two and kept those preorder funds. Now a lot of people that refunded may not purchase the game. It's a big risk for Sony so I don't think they would have done it if they expected the game to release shortly.

Nestunt

Oct 27, 2017
Porto, Portugal
The "now PS5 version of the game"? Do people really believe this?

There will be some confused people on Era when the game comes out on summer.

I wouldn't be surprised with either scenario.

Irrespective of that, since PS5 has BC, Sony will have to address marketing-wise the positioning of big exclusives like TLoU or GoT in the store shelves of PS5 games.

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
I don't think they would have gone that route if it was going to release so shortly after the last release date. Remember, they had to refund everyone that preordered on PSN. They could have pushed the game out tentatively a month or two and kept those preorder funds. Now a lot of people that refunded may not purchase the game. It's a big risk for Sony so I don't think they would have done it if they expected the game to release shortly.

You answered your own dilemma: they didn't expect the game to release shortly because they had no idea how things would unfold. They had no choice - but to delay indefinitely it and refund.

But it is obvious they want to release it as soon as able.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
You answered your own dilemma: they didn't expect the game to release shortly because they had no idea how things would unfold. They had no choice - but to delay indefinitely it and refund.

But it is obvious they want to release it as soon as able.
Well I'll keep my fingers crossed, but I'm not hopeful. I'm not sure what would have changed in the past two weeks that they are now confident of a release date. Really nothing has changed as far as I'm aware around the logistics of releasing physical games. Is production about to ramp back up? I haven't heard!

chimpsteaks

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 12, 2019
If true, it sounds like they are going to use the manufacturing and shipping resources they had planned to use to print & ship Ghosts disks, to now instead print & ship TLOU2 disks.

Sounds actually pretty realistic given the predicament they are in right now. TLOU2 is the much larger seller, and if they can only logistically get one of these games out in June at the cost of the other staying in limbo, that's the one they're gonna pick.

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It would be absurd if the delay was only for a couple of weeks.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I highly doubt that's true, I think not even GoT will be released on that date let alone TLOU2, but on the off chance that it might be true, for fuck's sake Sony, don't delay GoT because of TLOU2.

Just release TLOU2 at a later date.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
It would be absurd if the delay was only for a couple of weeks.
The situation with the distribution is obviously very fluid, and different for each country/territory. Things that were unknown yesterday may clear up tomorrow.

I think everyone would be happy if the delay was as short as possible.

sasnak

Dec 4, 2018
Weird. Original release date was my birthday , now this new one is my sister's.
Hey, we're birthday buddies. I was actually looking forward to my birthday this year until the delay. Stupid Covid.

Edit: I just realized you probably meant the original February 21st release date, in which case I guess we're not birthday buddies. Oops.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
Really sick of last of us screwing over ghost of Tsushima if this is true
Hasn't it been done for months but they keep delaying it because the last of us keeps getting delayed?

also they may have realized how crazy they were for delaying it when they saw the likely insanely high sales numbers for FF7