Timewarp

Oct 27, 2017
Relentless ads killed the platform for me. I'll never engage new streamers because of the front loaded 6-10 ads. The ones that take over the browser and changes page content layout are particularly annoying.

ari

May 7, 2024
Biarritz
I prefer paying for my games. I barely use Twitch, just to watch a few friends when they play something I like. Obviously, with adblocker.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Who knew a business built on the premise of watching other people play videogames would lose money

Quiet Storm

Oct 28, 2023
Relentless ads killed the platform for me. I'll never engage new streamers because of the front loaded 6-10 ads. The ones that take over the browser and changes page content layout are particularly annoying.
I feel that and I don't mean to promote ad dodging, but

If you have an Android device (phone or GoogleTV-based system like a FireTV stick, Onn 4K or similar), you're only watching ads because you want to. Any of these can install or sideload custom versions of Twitch that greatly reduce, hide, or eliminate ads entirely. On PC you can install a variety of apps or browser plug-ins that serve the same purpose.

Non-jailbroken Apple users gotta hold the permanent L, however.

That said, yes ads feel extreme at times. Switching streams, then switching back and being hit with minutes of ads after just seeing a roll of ads 5-10 minutes prior...or getting ad pre-roll as soon as you jump into a stream is an awful experience all around and is something I see happen constantly. I'm sure it has lead to significant abandon/bounce rates for content creators who can't control pre-roll too. If I'm on my Apple devices, I just turn down the volume on the ads and wait for them to pass.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Twitch did create the stream monster culture. I guess. Pog lol.
Who knew a business built on the premise of watching other people play videogames would lose money
They tried to pivot with other content, but the brand is very video gamey, same with Discord.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
pre-roll ads killed a lot of my interest. that being said it's still a better live streaming experience than on youtube. i still feel like there has to be a better way to earn ad revenue than what they're doing now. like how much are they charging for ad slots?

Wtfpigeons

Aug 6, 2020
It's crazy, only things I'll watch on there now are tournaments or games done fast. I just can't stand how constant the ad are

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I used to watch a lot of Twitch but I have to say like many others the ads killed it for me. It just got too extreme.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
ads are insufferable on twitch now. you cant even switch streams without being hit by 8-10 ads in a row. there needs to be a cooldown on that shit. not only that, but those random breaks of ads they insert always happen at the most interesting time of the stream.

someone about to break a WR speedrun? HERES 4 MINS OF ADS! Have fun watching it in this tiny ass window with no audio, you poor ass bitch

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
I never understood why this platform exists. Every time I've had to use it has a horrible UI, requires a separate account from anything else I use... I get they did streaming before YouTube and it's "for gamers" but the minute Youtube started to have the same offerings I never got why people kept using it.
This is what people used to Twitch say about Youtube's mess of a livestreaming platform. Youtube doesn't have the same offerings, their livestream service is still way behind Twitch.

Also Twitch isn't "for gamers," just chatting has been the core of the site for a long long time.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
The reason people keep using Twitch should be fairly obvious, but since nobody else bothered, I'll help ya out here:
  1. Twitch viewership is heavily personality driven. It doesn't matter if a platform has a better UI or features or whatever if your favorite creator(s) aren't there. It's like trying to sell someone on a new TV channel that does cooking shows but doesn't have Gordon Ramsay.
  2. Comfort and familiarity matters. People grew up with Justin.tv and then Twitch, its memes, its emotes. People won't just swap to a new platform without the culture and memes and want to start fresh just because.
  3. Twitch's UI isn't great, but it's certainly good enough for finding new content creators or the most popular. And again, people are familiar with it and comfortable with it, as it's been here for almost a decade.
  4. Tie-ins with Amazon Prime added value to the platform via subscriptions and give-aways.
  5. Not everyone wants to use more Google products.
  6. Dedicated platforms have value. Not everyone is well served at a "all things to all people" website. I certainly wouldn't say anything about Youtube's UI makes it easy to find content creators. On the contrary, live gaming on YT requires 3 clicks from the homepage before you can even see a list of creators. Hell, if you weren't looking closely at YouTube, you could miss that there is live gaming offered at all. You think that's a better integration than Twitch, which has live creators right on the homepage and basically every page you can click on outside of pure directory listings? Convenience matters. Clarity of purpose matters.
  7. People were already invested, literally. If you're subscribed to a channel, your intention was to support that specific creator. Changing platforms necessarily means leaving a creator you liked enough to financially support, and going through the irritating of setting up payment information on YouTube. Neither of which were things people are interested in doing.

This is why relatively few people care about YouTube gaming. Why they never cared about Facebook gaming. Why Mixer died despite having superior technology.

Culture, investment, personalities, familiarity, comfort.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate the post. None of it really is stuff that applies to me so it just solidifies the reasons I don't use it, but makes very much sense why it be appealing to others.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
It actually was cheaper until earlier this year or something. But yeah they don't advertise it worth a damn. I don't think they want people to actually know about it.

Ya it's odd they don't advertise it and people seem to not know it exists. If you watch Twitch on any sort of consistent basis then it's well worth it to get rid of ads.

Apr 9, 2024
Streamers have a lot control over how, when and how many ads run. E.g. CohhCarnage run ad blocks during his intro and outro so actual stream of games is uninterrupted.

TLDR: Max was milking ad cash from larger than normal viewership.

Not nearly as much as you think, though it probably tiers differently depending on viewership. I'm a Twitch partnered streamer and it never feels like I can shut off random ads the way I want? Maybe I'm missing something in the dashboard. There's a certain percentage per hour that requires them running as far as I can see.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Non-jailbroken Apple users gotta hold the permanent L, however.
Nah, there's a few custom Twitch app you can sideload that for example show BTTV emotes and auto-claim channel points/drops, and they offer a working adblock solution, at least TwitchAdBlock (version 17.3) works from what I tested, you can search github for that.

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
I've heard this is mostly an accounting thing. Twitch isn't profitable because Amazon doesn't want them to be profitable for accounting purposes. They use Amazon's servers, but then charge Twitch for it, and then Twitch "loses" money from that cost.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I've heard this is mostly an accounting thing. Twitch isn't profitable because Amazon doesn't want them to be profitable for accounting purposes. They use Amazon's servers, but then charge Twitch for it, and then Twitch "loses" money from that cost.
No, that's fair. Opportunity cost is real. The servers that Twitch uses are servers that Amazon can't sell to other businesses as part of AWS.

May 29, 2018
I'll watch the occasional FGC tournament and MaxDood if I happen to know he's live but besides that I hate the UI and I still remember when they decided to add ads for twitch prime subscribers and that rubs me the wrong way

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really into interacting with a personality in real time or needing to show up at a specific time for streams, but I do like watching VODs of streams on youtube.

Having said that, a well-edited youtube let's play will win the day for me if it exists for a specific game.

Oct 28, 2017
I dropped my independent channel subs and pay for Turbo now, still mad that all of Turbo used to be included with Amazon Prime but whatever, browsing without ever getting ads is the best. They raised the price of subs this month too. I'll be shocked if Twitch is still around in 3 years at this rate. They don't really advertise Turbo and you have to hunt it down, I wonder if that's also a profit loser for them.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
I stopped watching twitch because of all the ads. I mainly just watch vods now (if they have them)

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
unwatchable because of all the ad breaks. i only watch max dood and only via archive. i tried to watch his evo content live...impossible.

The constant ads are also killing any chance for growth from smaller / mid streamers as well. You check out a smaller streamer not for them, but because of the game they may be playing with hopes that the streamers personality will shine thru after so. But nope, you click in and you get hit 4 to 8 ads and you're just like fuck it I'm out.

23qwerty

Oct 27, 2017
The reason people keep using Twitch should be fairly obvious, but since nobody else bothered, I'll help ya out here:
  1. Twitch viewership is heavily personality driven. It doesn't matter if a platform has a better UI or features or whatever if your favorite creator(s) aren't there. It's like trying to sell someone on a new TV channel that does cooking shows but doesn't have Gordon Ramsay.
  2. Comfort and familiarity matters. People grew up with Justin.tv and then Twitch, its memes, its emotes. People won't just swap to a new platform without the culture and memes and want to start fresh just because.
  3. Twitch's UI isn't great, but it's certainly good enough for finding new content creators or the most popular. And again, people are familiar with it and comfortable with it, as it's been here for almost a decade.
  4. Tie-ins with Amazon Prime added value to the platform via subscriptions and give-aways.
  5. Not everyone wants to use more Google products.
  6. Dedicated platforms have value. Not everyone is well served at a "all things to all people" website. I certainly wouldn't say anything about Youtube's UI makes it easy to find content creators. On the contrary, live gaming on YT requires 3 clicks from the homepage before you can even see a list of creators. Hell, if you weren't looking closely at YouTube, you could miss that there is live gaming offered at all. You think that's a better integration than Twitch, which has live creators right on the homepage and basically every page you can click on outside of pure directory listings? Convenience matters. Clarity of purpose matters.
  7. People were already invested, literally. If you're subscribed to a channel, your intention was to support that specific creator. Changing platforms necessarily means leaving a creator you liked enough to financially support, and going through the irritating of setting up payment information on YouTube. Neither of which were things people are interested in doing.

This is why relatively few people care about YouTube gaming. Why they never cared about Facebook gaming. Why Mixer died despite having superior technology.

Culture, investment, personalities, familiarity, comfort.

Hope that helps.
good points of course but I just want to point out how terrible the new mobile app UI is. Absolutely mindbogglingly terrible.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Nah YouTube continues to grow in both user base and ad revenue every year for years now. If Twitch had the same patterns we wouldn't hear a single complaint. As Twitch is really getting dragged down do to a lack of growth.

Oh wow, hadn't realized YouTube became profitable. Maybe it isn't too surprising that Twitch can't keep growing though, kinda like how the market for console owners is capped at like ~250M. Only so many people who are interested in it as is.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
It's getting there though. If they give it another 7-14 years I'm sure it will turn a nice steady profit.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I really don't use Twitch much.

Most of the big twitch clips / or videos just get shared on YouTube anyway which has a battle algorithm to my viewing needs imo

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah as everyone else has said the adds just got ridiculous, and it became more and more tedious to block them. I've gone through so many different methods of blocking them, and even now you can't seem to avoid the disruption from them, you just don't see the ads with certain addons.

Haribokart

Oct 27, 2017
Twitch is awful. I literally got harassed and abuse when I had to stop streaming in the middle of the month as I was hospitalised (the same day I was diagnosed) for stage four cancer because 'I paid my months sub and you're ripping me off' by multiple people who then went around the internet leaving shitty comments anywhere they saw my name.

Fuck Twitch.

Tobor

Died as he lived: wrong about Doritos
Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
WSJ is coming after Amazon hard. Lol.

They also had that article last week about how Amazon lost $25 billion in four years on Alexa.

Venuslulu

Oct 28, 2017
A lot of these ycomb start up acquisitions were not such a great idea it seems

Even Amazon isn't immune

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Zombie brand? lol. No punches pulled.

I used to like Twitch but the ads killed it for me, especially as a Prime member. It was a nice perk. But they removed it.

Also, I think the content got stale. Top streamers didn't invest in being better entertainers, just coasting and asking for me money. No thanks.

Creatives of all types hone their craft. But most of the streamers are rather boring honestly.

What are your thoughts on Twitch?
I mean, that's pretty subjective. lol

I'm with you on the ads stuff. Honestly, I think Twitch will erode to the point where YouTube kind of becomes the main streaming service for gaming by default.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, that's pretty subjective. lol

I'm with you on the ads stuff. Honestly, I think Twitch will erode to the point where YouTube kind of becomes the main streaming service for gaming by default.
It's an entertainment medium. Entertainers take breaks. They reinvent themselves, pursue new mediums, genres.

But Twitch is so incentivized toward "hours" streaming, how can these streamers stay fresh creatively?

It creates lowest common denominator content.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
It's an entertainment medium. Entertainers take breaks. They reinvent themselves, pursue new mediums, genres.

But Twitch is so incentivized toward "hours" streaming, how can these streamers stay fresh creatively?

It creates lowest common denominator content.
That is not a universal truth. SO many people stream on Twitch.

JDazzle

Nov 6, 2017
I figured Twitch was dead when all the free game promo items dried up earlier this year. No more free Destiny 2 items, or WoW promo items for watching so many hours of streaming... hell, even the smaller games are no longer providing free items or stream watching promos.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, I'm probably the wrong audience for watching gaming. I'd rather just play games 😆

Also, lots of my favorite streams just went to YouTube and I watch there because watching the vods is also easier.

I hope twitch doesn't go away, competition is good and healthy. I don't want YT to be the only choice. But also.... I don't care enough to actually support twitch, so it's whatever to me as a consumer.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I'm just taking about the basic gaming content, the main draw, not that compelling.

I used to watch Twitch for hours too.
I don't know. I think it really depends on who you watch or what you're interested in. I mean, fighting game players are feasting especially with people like Maximilian streaming about 30 hours live from EVO.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
for me twitch was a very '10s zeitgeist thing. not sure what's going on with it now but for me at least i moved on and never looked back

Dasnap

Apr 19, 2021
Anyone I'd be interested in watching tends to stream when I'm asleep, so I watch most 'streams' through edited cuts after the fact. Certainly gets rid of most of the boring bloat.