ninezeroone

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely gonna give this a shot. Seems like a better strategy than Stadia. Hopefully MS copies the PWA option for xCloud on iOS.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming this is priced reasonably and works well then I think this might end up as what Stadia should've been. Integration to the most popular game streaming service and home voice assistant is also a big deal.

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
obviously this is talking way (way) down the line, but you could kind of envisage a future where gaming is xcloud, stadia, and luna

they've all got the bucks / patience / backend infrastructure to try, fail, come again, fail, spend, bully

dimitri2401

Oct 27, 2017
Montreal
Many major players in the game streaming business is probably good for competition.

Amazon seems to have a fairly cheap offer (but certainly not as comprehensive as Microsoft), Stadia will need to evolve (or die) and Sony need to hurry if they don't want to miss the train.

If some of these services get big in the coming years, we might not have real consoles anymore, so no PS6 or Xbox Series Next.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
I mean, we're already past that point. The gaming division of Xbox cannot afford to buy Zenimax. The 1.5 trillion dollar parent company can.

Exactly, but this is why MS did it. They know the other tech giants are entering the business and want to secure the market.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Bunch of big companies entering the gaming space, half-assing it and falling flat on their faces...I don't think this is what people were asking for when they were wanting to go back to the '90s.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I guess we have hit the pinnacle of controller design at this stage :P

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Google and Bezos looking at Ubisoft like...
fTJsXkg.png

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
I remember the news story earlier about Sony agreeing with MS to use Azure for their cloud. Maybe in 20 years it'll be a Sony/MS alliance against Apple/Amazon/Google/Facebook? idk, but this makes MS purchase of anything and everything make a lot more sense

I'm curious as to why you divided these companies up like you did. Microsoft is a 1.5 trillion dollar company, they can go toe to toe with Apple/Amazon/Google/Facebook. Sony is the only one who cannot. Likely they won't ally with Microsoft, Playstation will become a subsidiary of Microsoft in that case.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Lol y'all are so ridiculous. Amazon has been buying studios for ages. They bought Double Helix and others years ago as part of Amazon Games. Sony literally bought up Insomniac, a major multiplatform Dev, just last year.

Stop acting like this hasn't been in progress for ages. And I'd much rather have a super accessible service buying studios, that doesn't even require a console like xCloud/Game Pass on PC and phones, than have Sony keep moneyhatting shit for a year which has ZERO organizational value to any of the studio networks. At least Xbox says they want to keep Bethesda's teams intact to help bring Xbox studios higher - instead of just buying exclusivity and nobody gets to share resources.

Man the amount of trying to justify it.

"It's the one I like so it's ok"

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Bunch of big companies entering the gaming space, half-assing it and falling flat on their faces...I don't think this is what people were asking for when they were wanting to go back to the '90s.

If either Google or Amazon really wants their service to take off, they're going to need a reason to bring people in. As in, exclusive experiences that can't be played anywhere else.

Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft all understand this concept.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
obviously this is talking way (way) down the line, but you could kind of envisage a future where gaming is xcloud, stadia, and luna

they've all got the bucks / patience / backend infrastructure to try, fail, come again, fail, spend, bully

Yeah, this is only the beginning. Publishers, hold on to your butts.

ReverseFate

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that this is subscription based with full access to their entire library at a monthly cost makes it a lot more desirable than stadia. I'm excited to try it out on PC.

While xcloud may have a much better library with the same subscription model, having it be only accessible on mobile so far is not ideal. I'll be much more interested once they launch it on PC.

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Slight off-topic, but goddamn - it's impossible to overstate just how many doors Control opened up for Remedy. Even if it didn't sell particularly well, that game has given them so many new opportunities. It's really awesome to see.

Icarus

Oct 26, 2017
That is true and jesus what a world it would be if every publisher under the sun is owned by the "Big 5" video game services (Google, amazon, sony, MS, nintendo) exclusives would be the only difference between them.
Or it could be like the film streaming services where a game would feature on one brands service for 3~6 months and then hop on over to another service after that.

The only ones to forever remain on the service are the ones which are flat out owned by the studio (like Netflix Originals only being on Netflix).

I am not a fan of the streaming playground for games but it appears to be heading more and more into that direction. :(

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Stadia needs to adjust their plans if they want to compete in this streaming battle with Amazon. Especially now that the latter is actually doing an xCloud/Netflix streaming service.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If either Google or Amazon really wants their service to take off, they're going to need a reason to bring people in. As in, exclusive experiences that can't be played anywhere else.

Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft all understand this concept.
One of these things is not like the others...

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
This is actually fucking great because it gives Microsoft the ammunition to push for xCloud to run on iOS.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious if they will now offer proper divers for gamepads on Firestick. When I was testing sideloading Stadia, xCloud and GFN on a Firestick 4k it would not detect the start/option button on my XB1 or DS4 Gamepads

svnty6rs3

May 13, 2020
So just to confirm. You pay one price $5.99 and get access to games like RE7 and Control.

For stadia, don't you have to pay for each individual game?

Philosopher

Sep 5, 2018
I'm curious as to why you divided these companies up like you did. Microsoft is a 1.5 trillion dollar company, they can go toe to toe with Apple/Amazon/Google/Facebook. Sony is the only one who cannot. Likely they won't ally with Microsoft, Playstation will become a subsidiary of Microsoft in that case.
Because of the relationship that is already there via Azure. I realize that MS can go toe to toe with the rest of silicon valley. But Sony uses Azure, not Google and not AWS. Like you said Sony is the little guy compared to these tech behemoths but yet Sony has the biggest gaming brand.

foogles

Aug 12, 2019
Anyone saying that because Amazon sucks at making games, that's the reasoning for why this will suck really doesn't understand that these are two entirely different industries. Making games is one thing. Delivering a game smoothly, at low cost, over a cloud platform is another. And Amazon's cloud platform is the biggest in the world; they probably have the most talent in the industry for cloud computing under their roof, and applying that to gaming is a leap, but it's not a huge one.

This whole thing *could* suck but I doubt it'll be because they're bad at doing this. It'd be because of poor choices in making deals with publishers, failing to price their service to sell, or in not giving gamers what they want in a cloud platform. From a technical perspective, I'm sure they'll be at least as good as Stadia.

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly, but this is why MS did it. They know the other tech giants are entering the business and want to secure the market.

For sure, but that angle was mostly lost during the discussion of acquisition. People were looking at Sony, how they would respond. Instead of the more likely Google/Amazon/Facebook and, to a lesser extent, Tencent. They'll be next to make a move on that scale. Sony might buy a developer, but nothing even close to the scale of the Zenimax acquisition.