• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Streusel

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 28, 2017
LkW1Zaq.png
that's why they copied the Switch Pro! because it's the only incompatible one

Deleted member 18515

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how long these streaming services will take to come out here in Australia. I know out internet isn't great but I currently get around 85Mbit.

XCloud should hit Aus in H1 2021 according to Phil Spencer the other day. Our internet is good enough for a lot of people to use it, they just need to get it all installed in our Azure servers.

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how long these streaming services will take to come out here in Australia. I know out internet isn't great but I currently get around 85Mbit.

Amazon has 3 availability zones in Australia so technically they have the capability there but I'd imagine their data
centers might require some new hardware

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Even if it doesn't support bluetooth controllers the genius part is that Wifi controllers don't need to talk to the phone at all. You're just playing a live video in the browser while the controller sends inputs to the server via wifi.
That's a good point. Also a tricky way around Apple's rules if they did release an app on the App Store. You would be watching a video stream on the device but the interactive element would be outside of the app. Would the app still technically be considered interactive? Would viewing your own stream on Twitch while using the Luna controller violate developer agreements? I could see lots of legal arguments about what constitutes an interactive app in this case

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I still think this thing is nearly dead on arrival, and will struggle to limp along to relevancy. The only reason xCloud is an interesting value proposition is because:

A) It's included within a subscription plan that a lot of people are likely already going to pursue
B) Microsoft is currently an existing platform holder, with a large breadth of internal studios and existing IPs, and existing partnerships from its two decades in the industry
C) Even though you're playing through the cloud, the platform itself is Xbox - so you're not having to worry about the lack of an install base

They can definitely package this with Amazon Prime as a trojan horse, but points B and C are going to be tougher hurdles to jump through. I can see why privately held companies would be willing to sell themselves to Microsoft, given they're a known quantity and there's stability with that. Will enough Public or Private entities want to tie themselves to Amazon, who hasn't really demonstrated a longterm commitment to gaming and whose experience thus far has been lackluster?

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We're seeing the beginning of our gaming future, stadia might've failed and this will too but they're learning on what and didn't work.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Do we know the specs of Luna? I know Stadia is using AMD for their CPU & GPU for example.

MattHeus

Mar 2, 2019
It really looks like Microsoft is trying to future proof itself by guaranteeing that Google and Amazon will never be able to compete in the content front.

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
I get the sense that Amazon will be a serious contender sooner rather than later. Those 150m Prime subs is a scary (for their competitors) card up their sleeve.

Google, now Amazon, Tencent next? Yikes it's hotting up.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
It really looks like Microsoft is trying to future proof itself by guaranteeing that Google and Amazon will never be able to compete in the content front.

Given that thrid-party games make up the majority of software sales on consoles, Amazon could very well attract a lot of third-party publishers to its platform due to the sheer size of the Prime and Twitch audiences. Amazon could compete very effectively, especially if they subsidize the subscription cost a bit if you already subscribe to Prime or Twitch.

Google I'm less sure about. They have YouTube, but the Stadia pricing model is so bad up against Luna and Game Pass.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
No a lot of Nintendo and Sony fan base come from first party games, cloud streaming is good for 3rd party stuff though

this is why exclusives are more important now than ever
It comes down how long they can fund developing those exclusive games when a large majority of gamers have moved over to the streaming platforms. Especially Sony when most of their exclusives are very big budget.
They might find it difficult enticing people to go out and spend $500 on a console and $70 a game when your tv has these streaming app built in, all you need is a reitivly cheap subscription and a controller.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
I'm going to guess that once out of Early Access, Luna+ will be

$5.99/mo. for Prime members
$9.99/mo. without Prime

They aren't going to add this as part of Prime. People would lose their shit if Prime got a price increase for this, and they're not going to give it away for free.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It comes down how long they can fund developing those exclusive games when a large majority of gamers have moved over to the streaming platforms. Especially Sony when most of their exclusives are very big budget.
They might find it difficult enticing people to go out and spend $500 on a console and $70 a game when your tv has these streaming app built in, all you need is a reitivly cheap subscription and a controller.
Nah people aren't going to stop playing Mario just because there's a streaming service

they could pull away the casual pc gamer though since the cloud service has the exact same games for a cheaper price

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Given that thrid-party games make up the majority of software sales on consoles, Amazon could very well attract a lot of third-party publishers to its platform due to the sheer size of the Prime and Twitch audiences. Amazon could compete very effectively, especially if they subsidize the subscription cost a bit if you already subscribe to Prime or Twitch.

Google I'm less sure about. They have YouTube, but the Stadia pricing model is so bad up against Luna and Game Pass.

At least business and product-wise, Amazon made better decisions vs Google on how to price and offer the service.

Maybe they lucked out by hiring Marc Whitten (former Xbox) and Google fucked up by hiring Phil Harrison (Sony and Atari). I always felt Harrison was out of touch with core fans.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
At least business and product-wise, Amazon made better decisions vs Google on how to price and offer the service.

Maybe they lucked out by hiring Marc Whitten (former Xbox) and Google fucked up by hiring Phil Harrison (Sony and Atari). I always felt Harrison was out of touch with core fans.

Marc went to Amazon?!

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
So why can't Xbox design Game Streaming to work with browsers...?

They can and Apple even suggests they do.

"In addition to the App Store, developers can choose to reach all iPhone and iPad users over the web through Safari and other browsers on the App Store."

www.ign.com

Apple Explains Why Xbox Game Pass Won't Launch on iOS, Microsoft Responds - IGN

Apple has explained why its guidelines won't permit Xbox Game Pass to publish on its App Store, and Microsoft has now responded.

There is a potential issue with Bluetooth controllers working in Safari, Amazon is bypassing this by having it's controller connect directly to the server over WiFi.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
There is a potential issue with Bluetooth controllers working in Safari, Amazon is bypassing this by having it's controller connect directly to the server over WiFi.
I guess Stadia was also able to bypass this for the same reason or are they not compatible with Safari?

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to guess that once out of Early Access, Luna+ will be

$5.99/mo. for Prime members
$9.99/mo. without Prime

They aren't going to add this as part of Prime. People would lose their shit if Prime got a price increase for this, and they're not going to give it away for free.

The Amazon Music subscription is $80 annual charge or $7.99/mo. with Prime, or $9.99 per month stand alone. For gaming, I imagine they'll offer similar options, but maybe a bit more expensive due to higher bandwidth usage. I highly doubt it's $5.99/mo stand alone.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
At the end of the day, technology is secondary to the games. You can have an awesome streaming service, but if the only games you can offer are old games people have already played, or third party titles people can play elsewhere, you're never going to replace your rivals. Even if Nintendo and Sony go down a completely different route, I can only play Mario and Zelda on a Nintendo console - and therefore will continue to buy whatever Nintendo puts out to get those games.

I sometimes think we forget the actual games themselves and the power of first party IP. Sony and Nintendo both excel in that area and I dont see that changing any time soon.