• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

game-biz

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, how embarrassing....

At least try to use basic common sense. She's a complete idiot. Well, some people can't help but be stupid. At the very least, she didn't die and cause additional pain for her friends and family.

Oct 27, 2017
but the only truly dumb thing she did was set off without water.

I'm going to argue the dumb thing she did was go off the trail. Never go off the trail. There's zero reason to - if there's something interesting to see the trail would go by it. If she was that tired than take a nap right next to the trail.
Over the past many years I've been on I don't even know how many hiking trails around the Pacific Northwest. I've never left the trail because to do so is idiotic and pointless.

JealousKenny

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Maui is not a jungle in the sense you're thinking of.

If you're going to get lost in nature, you couldn't choose a better place than Maui. Food literally grows all over the place. Fresh water abounds. I knew about a distinguished neurologist who got fed up with it all, flew to Maui and just wondered into the woods on the north shore. He knew nothing about survival and just lived in there for years. There is not a single creature on that island that can harm you in any way, save centipedes which can just give you a nasty sting.

Maui isn't a real place. It's a cartoon island.

If that's the case why did this woman have to resort to eating moths that landed on her and she was rescued due to searching for any edible vegetation she could find near a stream.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If that's the case why did this woman have to resort to eating moths that landed on her and she was rescued due to searching for any edible vegetation she could find near a stream.

She said herself she didn't know what was safe to eat and what wasn't. Nobody's arguing she's Bear Grylls but on much of that trail there's about six or seven edible fruits and plants if you do a tiny bit of research first so he's right in that sense.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Something extremely shady going on here.

Do we know where she was on November 22 of 1963? 🤔

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
I'm sorry. But something is off. I mean in this day and age the last thing a woman leaves behind is their cellphone. And she's a health enthusiast. So leaving behind her cellphone AND water for a hike? It just doesn't make sense to me.
It does. Fucking hippies 'trusting in the universe' and shit only to have authorities spend millions saving their asses. I know people exactly like this.

Prinz Eugn

Oct 25, 2017
She probably both left her phone and the marked trail for the same reason, which was probably to get more in touch with nature, or something along those lines. It totally worked, too.

Oct 25, 2017

LastCaress

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
A better movie would be about the Death Valley Germans: http://www.otherhand.org/home-page/search-and-rescue/the-hunt-for-the-death-valley-germans/

Warning: IIRC takes a good 45 mins to read, but extremely engrossing if you want to see how a series of bad decisions compound over time.
That's a very good read, I read it some time ago during my true crime phase.

Next week I'm going to the mountains, I'll be sure to contact resetera if I get lost.

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
Watching CNN earlier and I guess according to her mom she took a nap while on the hike and when she woke up had no clue where she was.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
ITT: People in the comfort of their homes act like they're better than the lady who survived for 17 days in the wilderness with a broken leg.

That's my thought on this, but ERA tends to focus on the negative aspect of the story (she's stupid etc, she should have done this differently) instead of the positive aspects (she survived on a broken leg eating berries and moths for 17 days)

guess

Oct 28, 2017
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/25/us/hawaii-hiker.html
Meanwhile, an army of volunteers turned seemingly every stone looking for her. They rappelled into ravines, searched caves, free-dove into pools and navigated fast-moving streams looking for Ms. Eller. Others killed aggressive wild boars and checked their intestines for human remains. At least one volunteer was attacked by a boar.

What are the positives of going off trail on purpose and putting other people in situations where they could also get hurt.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Either people completely missed the part where she woke up disoriented, so her gut was obviously off kilter, or the story was updated to include that.

Deleted member 25712

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mods should just lock this thread, no real conversation going on other than shitting on this woman for no reason other than salty assholes wanting to be emotionally outraged for no real reason

Remember the 127 Hours guy? He's been made out to be a motivational speaker, hero, etc. for his bravery. I knew (and still know) a guy that did S&R in Southern Utah at the time. His response? Fuck that guy. That guy's an idiot. His stupidity is what puts S&R folks in danger trying to save dumbasses all the time down there. He would shit on him constantly and get pissed any time he made a media appearance.

The consequences of not thinking ahead and preparing can reach far beyond your own dumb self. And those consequences aren't "no reason" to criticize someone for not taking two seconds to think about what they're doing before they do it. By the time someone's 35, they should have enough life experience to know better.