• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

So, am I?

• Yes

Votes: 94 7.6%
  • No

Votes: 994 80.1%
  • Maybe a bit

Votes: 153 12.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Khamsinvera

Oct 31, 2017
Long story short:

I'm trying to sell a MacBook Pro. A potential buyer messages me on OfferUp saying that he wants to buy it. All goes well until we decide where to meet. I suggest a public location in a nearby mall.

... and that's where the issue starts. He wants me to meet him at this location (Google Street view) in Inglewood (which is predominantly African-American neighborhood).

So, I refuse and offer to meet at a nearby Starbucks - and he accuses me of being racist for not wanting to go to Inglewood and "u think all black people want to rib(sic) u????"

Well, I'm not white OR black. That location is just too sketch.

The dude sent me a few more accusatory messages before I reported him and it's been quiet since.

SaraNWrap

Alt account
Banned
Jan 30, 2019
So he wanted to meet you in a public place still? What's the problem? Not every place is "sketch" just because you're scared.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
If you're doing a meet, do it at a police station parking lot. That's it.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I don't think so.

I don't know Inglewood but if it has a repuation for being sketchy (and you know it to be true) then the issue of whether the dude is black or not is kind of irrelevant, in my opinion.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Good rule of thumb is to just always meet in front of a police station. Like always.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
I would have asked to meet in the Burger King. I can understand not wanting to meet in front of an empty strip mall.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Absolutely not. There are black people who would've done the exact same thing as you.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
I thought the google map was going to be a random house but it's a Burger King. Does that Burger King get hit a lot? Could you have met at apolice station in Inglewood?

魑魅魍魎

Oct 25, 2017
Long story short:

I'm trying to sell a MacBook Pro. A potential buyer messages me on OfferUp saying that he wants to buy it. All goes well until we decide where to meet. I suggest a public location in a nearby mall.

... and that's where the issue starts. He wants me to meet him at this location (Google Street view) in Inglewood (which is predominantly African-American neighborhood).

So, I refuse and offer to meet at a nearby Starbucks - and he accuses me of being racist for not wanting to go to Inglewood and "u think all black people want to rib(sic) u????"

Well, I'm not white OR black. That location is just too sketch.

The dude sent me a few more accusatory messages before I reported him and it's been quiet since.
I would say no you are not.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Street view shows a nice empty building with a homeless person in front. For a sale as big as a Macbook I'd probably hesitate too.

Sell it somewhere you won't get ribbed.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
If films are anything to go by, the best place to meet is under a bridge in the rain at 11pm, and make sure that you're wearing your noire detective outfit.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
I mean, did he specify making the deal outside? I understand wanting to do it in a Starbucks to make sure people are around for that little extra pressure that keeps both parties on their best behaviour.

Him immediately calling you out as a racist for not doing it in an ethnic neighbourhood sounds like a red flag to me. That's putting pressure on you to complete the bargain on his terms, and you're the one with the goods, I think cutting that off was a good call, and I don't think you're racist for it.

BluePigGanon

Oct 27, 2017
I work in the criminal justice system and the spot he suggested would be a great big f' no from me. You're not being racist. OfferUp, Craigslist, etc. deals go bad often enough to be extra careful.

EDIT: And like others mentioned, his reaction is idiotic at best and suspicious at worst.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Could you not meet inside that Burger King? How is that different from a Starbucks?

You're not being racist for not wanting to go to a sketchy area. You are, mistaken, that Inglewood is sketchy. It's no Beverly Hills, but walking around with a laptop isn't going to get you mugged. I voted maybe because you're accidentially perpetuating a stereotype based on the area from the 90s.

Var

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, that store looks abandoned. it was in the burger king I might do it but a police station is the best idea.

OP
OP
Khamsinvera

Khamsinvera

Oct 31, 2017
is the starbucks in Inglewood?

Yeah, just a couple of minutes down the street

pBbYmaz.jpg

Deleted member 33887

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I think some level of haggling where the meetup spot is when selling an item is expected. As the seller you generally hold the cards if your item is reasonably priced. On the other hand, the way you worded things in the OP makes me wonder a bit. I can't tell if you're bringing up details you don't care about, but your motive is "it's too far away" or something similar.

After looking at the location I can see why you would be hesitant. You're well within your rights.

Oct 25, 2017
Meeting at the location of their choosing is just upping your risk that the buyer will bring friends and try and screw you. They admittedly can and should have the same wariness, but ultimately you're the one with the goods. Meeting by police stations is absolutely best. Even in a nicer neighborhood you're kind of depending on enough people and social pressure that they wouldn't try to rob or coerce you and hope bystanders wouldn't do anything.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
No OP, you offereed a public location then the buyer suggested another.

Normally people could compromise half way in terms of distance but the buyer flipped and accused you.

That right there is a deal Breaker because the communication has gone foul

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I've never even heard of this police station swap protocol, which seems to be the standard procedure.

Also, no. You're the seller, you decide where you want to sell. If someone doesn't want to come into starbucks to buy a macbook then don't buy it.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
I feel stupid for how I never thought of doing something like that in front of a police station....

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Selling used stuff online attracts all kinds of trashy people. Just go to r/choosingbeggars to see.

He should have no issue meeting in a public place. If he doesnt want to do that, that's a red flag

Scissors611

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
I'd stick to your guns and tell him to come where you want.... Ask Him do you want it or not ? And tell him to quit playing games. Be firm. If he's serious he will come wherever you suggest.

If you were racist you wouldn't sell it to him at all.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always do Starbucks. For a big ticket item I make sure I'm there earlier and am sitting with my back to the door, so if buyer tries to rob me I can tackle them on the way out.

I feel stupid for how I never thought of doing something like that in front of a police station....
Same. lol, seems so obvious in retrospect.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I said maybe, as I don't know the area. Still, police station is best, and as seller you call the shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.