Oct 27, 2017
Groundbreaking film. As soon as I saw it (and I was still very young) I knew it would influence action and sci fi films for many years. Like, there's before Matrix and after Matrix

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I think this was one of the first DVDs I ever watched. I remember it like it was yesterday. I remember been blown away by the whole concept of the film, and being super freaked out at the bug moment during the interrogation scene,

It's easily been one of my all time favourites since then. I kinda wish we had more Matrix stuff, and on the other hand glad we got so little.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if this was true or just speculation from an essay, but was The Matrix meant to be standalone, with no sequel plans? Which explains why the sequels felt like such jarring extensions of the original?

Like the ending of The Matrix is perfect. It's one of those endings where your mind extrapolates everything that happens afterwards. It's not a sequel hook, the movie feels complete. After that final scene, the imagery in your head of superpowered Neo defeating the machines and freeing humanity is cooler than anything the movies could show.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if this was true or just speculation from an essay, but was The Matrix meant to be standalone, with no sequel plans? Which explains why the sequels felt such jarring extensions of the original?

Like the ending of The Matrix is perfect. It's one of those endings where your mind extrapolates everything that happens afterwards. It's not a sequel hook. The imagery in your head of superpowered Neo defeating the machines and freeing humanity is cooler than anything the movies could show.

Pretty sure they said it was always planned as a triology or at least in the back of their mind.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Great OP. Those first few minutes do such an amazing job of sucking you into the action and then never letting go. It was a truly groundbreaking action film in terms of it's presentation and scifi/action films today are still trying to ape it.
Shame there weren't any sequels.
Lies! The Animatrix was awesome!!!

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
It's still the best action movie of the last twenty years (at least). The Wachowskis were in the zone with this one, nothing else they've done is even close.

A weird trivia is that the editor of the movie (who won an Academy Award for it) was the same guy who butchered Once Upon A Time In America for its US release fifteen years earlier.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
As I said in the other thread, I'm a big fan of the entire trilogy but yeah I agree the original is much better than the sequels and stands fine on its own with a satisfying conclusion.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I remember buying one of the first DVD players in the UK and the Matrix from Dixon's. The bastard wouldn't work, had all sorts of problems and I fought them for 7 months to get a newer model. Was worth it, I watched it to death.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
People hate on Reloaded too much. It pales in comparison to the first, but it's still a good time.

Divius

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
It's been ages since I last watched it, I guess the new transfer is a great reason to revisit The Matrix. Love the images in the OP.

Did the sequels get new transfers as well? (too lazy to google atm)

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Yup. Outside of the bullet time effect and maybe the sentinels, everything else is perfect and jaw dropping. Very stylish.
One of the greatest movies of all time. Action is top notch, every scene is amazing.

The music also compliments everything as well.

Morpheus rescue is badass.

I also appreciate the fact that it was shot in Australia too (at least a sizeable portion of it)

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
It really has stood the test of time and is absolutely a classic film. The canny blend of HK action, sci-fi dystopia, a lil philosophizing, and a heaping helping of Y2K fears really makes for a unique blend that rise above being its influences to stand as an original work. It's a shame the Wachowskis have never been able to top, or even match, what they accomplished with the matrix, but it is a very high bar to clear.

In addition to the aesthetics, I absolutely love the music as well.

I loved the part where Neo met with The Architect. That was unintentionally hilarious.

Still, Matrix 1 vs the 2 and 3 is really stark from its execution. Still brilliant movies tho, both in terms of concept, ideas, and ambiance. Its like the modern take on Blade Runner in its total excecution.

The fact that threads on ERA still make references to it whilst not intentionally doing so (Like ''take the blue pill or red pill'') means how good it was.

Also, Keanu Reeves and Agent Smith.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
It's still the best action movie of the last twenty years (at least). The Wachowskis were in the zone with this one, nothing else they've done is even close.

A weird trivia is that the editor of the movie (who won an Academy Award for it) was the same guy who butchered Once Upon A Time In America for its US release fifteen years earlier.

The studios butchered Once Upon to be fair.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it was just how it was back then but I felt there was zero hype going into this movies opening.

I saw it the weekend it came out and was blown away. I had no idea what was going to happen and no expectations. Thats kind of a wonderful thing which is a lot harder to get nowadays with the flood of information.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, pretty mind blowing in the theaters. Then to get a PS2 and have this new fangle "DVD" tech and Matrix as my first DVD? It was like 10 X-mas in one.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I loved the part where Neo met with The Architect. That was unintentionally hilarious.

Still, Matrix 1 vs the 2 and 3 is really stark from its execution. Still brilliant movies tho, both in terms of concept, ideas, and ambiance. Its like the modern take on Blade Runner in its total excecution.

The fact that threads on ERA still make references to it whilst not intentionally doing so (Like ''take the blue pill or red pill'') means how good it was.

Also, Keanu Reeves and Agent Smith.
Never thought about it that way but it fits (even though they are way different in tone and pacing). Wonder what the now modern version of BR is.

Wyndstryker

Oct 25, 2017
The original matrix is the only movie I've ever seen multiple times on the big screen and loved every moment of it.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
I thought I was going to be able to resist buying the uhd but this thread might have just broken me.

Loggjaw

Oct 25, 2017
I was real drunk last night and just put this on. Haven't seen it in like 15 years it's still so good. Thinking about starting the 2nd one in a few minutes since I got a Blu Ray pack.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, The Matrix has aged extremely well in my opinion. Those gifs are gorgeous looking.

And I actually think the CG parts of the movie have actually aged fairly well for a movie from 1999

Amory

Oct 27, 2017
I gotta get the new 4K release, but it's way pricier than I typically like to spend.

Waiting for that $20 sweet spot. But it looks incredible.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
in the top 10 best movies of all time, maybe even in the top 5
i've heard they are trying to make a new one

Loggjaw

Oct 25, 2017
I am having a beer and watching Reloaded right now, I don't remember any of this movie at all

WarMacheen

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I was real drunk last night and just put this on. Haven't seen it in like 15 years it's still so good. Thinking about starting the 2nd one in a few minutes since I got a Blu Ray pack.
c6c.gif

Realize, there are no sequels

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, I can rewatch the first opus anytime, it has aged that well.

Too bad the sequels were garbage even when they aired.

Last year I rewatched the trilogy after not seeing the films since they were in theatres. One rewatch I didn't hate the sequels, and quite enjoyed them. Sure they were different than the first film, but they're definitely watchable and enjoyable. Some parts we shouldn't discuss tho, such as the rave in Zion.

Redmond Barry

Nov 24, 2017
Yeah, The Matrix has aged extremely well in my opinion. Those gifs are gorgeous looking.

And I actually think the CG parts of the movie have actually aged fairly well for a movie from 1999

Same here. I rewatched the original Blu-ray release and the CGI was handled very well. The Sentinels, Docbot, and power plant are wisely drenched in shadow and darkness, so they never really appear fake. Even the one sentinel near the end that got in the Nebuchadnezzar looked reasonably good in motion, even when up close. The spoon and mirror scenes, by virtue of being centered around reflective objects, still worked well enough. The only time the CGI ever took me out of the action was when the lobby elevator door repeatedly tumbled across the screen when the explosives were set off, but even then it gave me a good laugh at how awesomely silly it was, so I give it a pass.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Same here. I rewatched the original Blu-ray release and the CGI was handled very well. The Sentinels, Docbot, and power plant are wisely drenched in shadow and darkness, so they never really appear fake. Even the one sentinel near the end that got in the Nebuchadnezzar looked reasonably good in motion, even when up close. The spoon and mirror scenes, by virtue of being centered around reflective objects, still worked well enough. The only time the CGI ever took me out of the action was when the lobby elevator door repeatedly tumbled across the screen when the explosives were set off, but even then it gave me a good laugh at how awesomely silly it was, so I give it a pass.
Yeah the mirror scene and the elevator door are the two CG parts that show their age in my opinion, the rest seems fine because like you said a lot of it is covered in shadows

ToD_

Oct 27, 2017
I still remember the day I went to the theater to see it. I lived in the Netherlands at the time and I had just returned from a trip to Spain. I had a painful sunburn on my nose and forehead. This must have been in June over there, three months after it released in the states. Yep, those days it usually took forever for stuff to get to Europe.

I was pretty hyped for the release of this movie and knew a good amount about it before going to see it (partially thanks to its delayed release). It still blew me away, however.

Will get this on UHD as soon as there's a good player with Dolby Vision support out there for a good price. Seriously, what the heck is up with this? There's the OPPO, which is universally praised, going for $500+. The LG UP970 got a patch a few months ago with DV support, but this one is notoriously loud. There's a Sony player out with a patch for DV support expected in the summer, but the player is still pricey. Is there any player on the market under $200 with DV support and doesn't sound like a jet engine?

Dec 29, 2017
The Matrix is still amazing.

It revitalized the sci-fi action genre and inspired many films for almost a decade. Even though they weren't doing anything original, the stuff they did, they made mainstream. Wire fighting, gun-fu, "bullet time", etc. It would be seen in many films throughout the 2000's. You can even say Jet Li owes a lot to the Matrix. I doubt any of his early 2000's movies would have been hits without the Matrix. Other movies copied the Matrix look too. The X-Men movie, Swordfish, and the Gone in 60 Seconds remake just to name a few.

Loggjaw

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished Reloaded, the first hour is boring AF. Second half was decent but that Architect stuff was lame. Overall it was better then I remembered

Bond

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
One of my all-time favourite movies, I always loved the gothic and cyberpunk overtones. Thanks, OP for reminding me to check out the 4K UHD version ASAP!

PS: Sequels don't exist

Spine_Ripper

Oct 25, 2017
I regret entering this thread. Tight on cash but really want the new 4K release. Movie has aged like fine wine.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
I know the sequels arent as good but I love the highway scene from the 2nd movie. I wish CG was better but I havent seen anything like it anywhere else. The morpheus fight is amazing too.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Movie is on sale right now for $21.99 at Best Buy! Just bought one. Can't wait to watch this again!