• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
DDM is now 8 members deep. Surely there's still room for Jade, right? Going to continue to try to will this into existence like I did Penta Dark.

Normanski 2.0

Nov 21, 2017
You gotta put Dante in the ladder match

It's the perfect match for a high flyer, but at the same time there's the opportunity to see Big Keith vs Hobbs…

That Kris promo was savage

If Leyla isn't a face after that then I don't know what to tell you.

There are a ton of women better than AQA TK could sign. I feel like he only signed her because she's from Booker's school in the hopes Booker will stop talking bad about AEW lol

I liked AQA, for my money she gave Jade her best match in AEW. Surprised with how long the Robyn Match went but really got Lita vibes from her. I think she's signed.

Eddie winning it from MJF is like my dream scenario. The underdog babyface winning it from the ultimate asshole. The pop would be insane.

I think Eddie will take the tag team title with Moxley after beating Santana and Ortiz.

Week after we need Bryan vs Daniel Garcia

100%. Really looking forward to this program of Bryan facing the best of the young talent…once he faces and recruits Lee then it's surely time for the Red Death to face the American Dragon. Hopefully he sends for HOOK too but I think TK will want to keep building him first.

Last edited:

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Team AQA.

We don't have a true high flier in the women's division either so she brings something that the ret of the roster don't have.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
I don't agree with Wade Keller on everything, but he brought up a recent quote where Tony Khan talked about the size of the roster and how he can now put on consistently fresh matchups on Dynamite and Rampage. Keller was annoyed because despite of course liking good in-ring action, he wishes Tony would worry more about consistently presenting a handful of people as stars and putting in the booking and production work to tell the audience "This is someone you need to pay attention to, and this is someone you can invest in." Because fresh matchups are cool and all, but if someone has a couple of matches but then just goes back to feeling like everybody else on the show, or disappears (Where's Tay Conti?) it's going to be hard for the audience to get into someone, and for new fans to grow.

Now, I think MJF feels like a star, Punk feels like a star, and even Darby feels like a star. And AEW DOES create stars! But I do sometimes feel like a character I like could be taken off TV at any moment. Or just be relegated to a quick segment that doesn't do them any favours. Tangentially related, I kind of agree with this second part as it pertains to Hangman…whose title run I've really been enjoying from an in-ring perspective, but I feel the booking/presentation side is letting him down a bit with him not feeling like the centrepiece of the company, or just being thrown out there in segment 7 to run in and beat up Lance Archer and then move on to "We'll see you after the break for more great action!"

When I was a kid, Bret Hart was my fave. He was also on the show every single week and was either talking, wrestling, or was just being shown or talked about. If I'm a kid who's really into Andrade, I'm kind of happy to see him on TV every week right now, but I'm also wondering why he hasn't wrestled in what feels like too long, and if he'll even be on TV in two months.

This turned into a bunch of word salad, but maybe there's something there? Probably just goes back to the "Is the roster too big?" / "Does Tony just get excited about new toys?" / "Do things get dropped too quickly or don't get thought about enough?" (What's up with Men of the Year? The TNT title thing? Why is Lambert still floating around Archer?) discussions.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Cracking opener, love the Bucks heel antics especially Matt doing the face hot tag spot. I know it was a last minute thing but they've done a real good at giving Jay White an underwhelming start.

Britt-Renegade was alright, Renegade got a bit more in than I expected. Mercedes and Hayter almost coming to blows over who gets to beat up Rosa. until Britt stepped in with a kiss on their heads lol.

It really doesn't feel like Rosa is 3 weeks away from becoming womens champion, I guess beating Mercedes next week will be a good start, but I think they're really gonna need to do a lot of stuff in the next few weeks to get this program to feel as hot as it did back before they did Lights Out.

HOOK quickly beat QT's best jabroni, I forget his name but he looked like an absolute Geek.

Danielson vs Moriarty :O

Good main event, Gunn Club are coming along nicely.

Jurassic Express seem to be speedrunning challengers and it's making me wonder if their reign is gonna be short.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
For me as long as someone I like isn't sidelined for months at a time I don't mind too much. I don't need them to be there every single week as long as it doesn't feel like they are being forgotten about.

I don't think AEW has quite got this balance right yet though. There have been times when I felt like certain feuds got spots on TV for 3 or 4 weeks in a row without progressing when one of those spots could have been given to another feud to develop and give someone else TV time. Like, I don't need a Sting and Darby appearance every single week.

I'm strictly speaking from the selfish perspective of a TV viewer who isn't going be buying tickets to a show and expecting certain talent though, and I'm aware that has to be a big factor when booking a show if you want to fill seats on a consistent basis, so I do get why it has been this way to a degree.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Catching up on ⚡️ and fuck yeah, Moriarty vs Bryan!

Robyn did great! Lol Rosa steamrolling Rebel. 😂 Damn Hayter 😮

Leyla is such an underrated promo. Her feud with Stat 👑 👽 has heat and it's all thanks to Shooter Boots.

Don't know why we're wasting a HOOK match on the jobbiest jobber to ever job. Didn't even lead to QT catching a beating. Weird.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Naijaboy

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
For me as long as someone I like isn't sidelined for months at a time I don't mind too much. I don't need them to be there every single week as long as it doesn't feel like they are being forgotten about.

I don't think AEW has quite got this balance right yet though. There have been times when I felt like certain feuds got spots on TV for 3 or 4 weeks in a row without progressing when one of those spots could have been given to another feud to develop and give someone else TV time. Like, I don't need a Sting and Darby appearance every single week.

I'm strictly speaking from the selfish perspective of a TV viewer who isn't going be buying tickets to a show and expecting certain talent though, and I'm aware that has to be a big factor when booking a show if you want to fill seats on a consistent basis, so I do get why it has been this way to a degree.
Lucha Underground had a great balance to make sure enough stars shown even though not everyone has matches or even appears every week. The fanbase is rowdy enough to make sure the wrestlers don't lose their steam. They have much more time to kill as well. Having a promotion where almost everyone is beloved would be a dream come true.

Just don't put people away for months for no reason.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Ass Boys came to play! That match overdelivered with minimal Billy/Christian fuckery. Ass Boys leaning a little too hard into the HBK aesthetic tho. On one hand, they get HEAT because HBK sucks. On the other hand, I hate HBK and don't need to be reminded of him. Ah well Austin is still mah boy.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
I don't agree with Wade Keller on everything, but he brought up a recent quote where Tony Khan talked about the size of the roster and how he can now put on consistently fresh matchups on Dynamite and Rampage. Keller was annoyed because despite of course liking good in-ring action, he wishes Tony would worry more about consistently presenting a handful of people as stars and putting in the booking and production work to tell the audience "This is someone you need to pay attention to, and this is someone you can invest in." Because fresh matchups are cool and all, but if someone has a couple of matches but then just goes back to feeling like everybody else on the show, or disappears (Where's Tay Conti?) it's going to be hard for the audience to get into someone, and for new fans to grow.

Now, I think MJF feels like a star, Punk feels like a star, and even Darby feels like a star. And AEW DOES create stars! But I do sometimes feel like a character I like could be taken off TV at any moment. Or just be relegated to a quick segment that doesn't do them any favours. Tangentially related, I kind of agree with this second part as it pertains to Hangman…whose title run I've really been enjoying from an in-ring perspective, but I feel the booking/presentation side is letting him down a bit with him not feeling like the centrepiece of the company, or just being thrown out there in segment 7 to run in and beat up Lance Archer and then move on to "We'll see you after the break for more great action!"

When I was a kid, Bret Hart was my fave. He was also on the show every single week and was either talking, wrestling, or was just being shown or talked about. If I'm a kid who's really into Andrade, I'm kind of happy to see him on TV every week right now, but I'm also wondering why he hasn't wrestled in what feels like too long, and if he'll even be on TV in two months.

This turned into a bunch of word salad, but maybe there's something there? Probably just goes back to the "Is the roster too big?" / "Does Tony just get excited about new toys?" / "Do things get dropped too quickly or don't get thought about enough?" (What's up with Men of the Year? The TNT title thing? Why is Lambert still floating around Archer?) discussions.
I agree with what you are saying. It's especially weird that Hangman doesn't feel like the main character of the show at all, because every past champ has.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Fuck. I really want to dive into this, but work is just starting. I've said it before and I know there have been conversations here where folk have agreed, but the heart of the problem is that Tony is just not a very good booker outside of giving his biggest talents lots of TV time and a ton of creative freedom. Anyone from the mid-card down? Expect to be booked poorly, if at all. Expect to be swapped out as Tony books like a bird collecting shiny things. Expect Tony to react slowly and poorly to criticism. And worst of all, expect Tony to not care about mid card or below storytelling, especially should it come in conflict with one of the 10 or so upper card wrestlers.

Toli08

Oct 27, 2017
I kind of disagree with Kellers take. There are the core that are on every single week. Best Friends are on our screens every week and it got to the point where it's refreshing when they aren't on. One of the reasons this past Dynamite was so good we got a break from them. He uses a core 8-10 every week really

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck. I really want to dive into this, but work is just starting. I've said it before and I know there have been conversations here where folk have agreed, but the heart of the problem is that Tony is just not a very good booker outside of giving his biggest talents lots of TV time and a ton of creative freedom. Anyone from the mid-card down? Expect to be booked poorly, if at all. Expect to be swapped out as Tony books like a bird collecting shiny things. Expect Tony to react slowly and poorly to criticism. And worst of all, expect Tony to not care about mid card or below storytelling, especially should it come in conflict with one of the 10 or so upper card wrestlers.
Gotta disagree Tony Khan is an incredible booker and I think of everything as a super long term plan as opposed to consistent television.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
As with everyone else here I'm not a fan of Jericho these days but I gotta give him credit, he has seemed to have been getting in shape recently and the last couple of weeks he has looked a lot trimmer (especially in the face).

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Hook vs Wardlow. Book. It.

Loved his punches in the corner and flipping out of the hip toss and turning it into a go-behind. Super smooth. Slow burning Hook is probably a good move in the long term, and having QT be his first legit feud gives him someone the fans hate just enough. Kind of amazing how quickly Hook has been distanced from Team Taz because of his babyface reactions.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Personal history/trauma:
My parents did give me up for adoption after I was diagnosed with autisim. They did take me back after like a month or so, I don't remember much I was a toddler...

So yeah, fuck you Statlander, Hirsch is 100% the face in my eyes
<3

Status
Not open for further replies.