Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From Indiewire via AV Club and Empire Magazine:
As part of Empire Magazine's special "Alien" anniversary issue (via AV Club), the publication confirmed screenwriter John Logan, who co-wrote "Alien: Covenant" with Dante Harper, has already finished writing "Awakening" and the film is now waiting to be made. Empire even spilled the beans on the next sequel's plot.

Following the events of "Covenant," in which it was revealed the android David (Michael Fassbender) caused a genocide on the planet Paradise that wiped out the Engineer population, "Awakening" would find a group of Engineers who survived the mass murder making it their mission to exact revenge and kill David. The Engineers were first introduced in "Prometheus" and are humanity's forerunners. The fight was expected to bring both parties to LV-426, the planet featured in Scott's original "Alien" where Sigourney Weaver's Ripley first encountered the Xenomorphs.

The plot description for "Awakening" indicates Scott was planning to bring the entire franchise full circle with his next installment. Whatever went down in the battle between Fassbender's David and the remaining Engineers would probably give rise to the Xenomorph population Ripley eventually encounters.
1503396186450.gif

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Even though apparently Covenant was bad, (I honesty enjoyed Prometheus) its a shame the story will never get wrapped up.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Yeah, I liked Prometheus, but this shit is getting stupid

Give Alien a streamlined sequel in line with the original, lower budget, with a directing/writing combo that excels at the format.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I still don't get how you went from Alien and Aliens to... this.

Yes I get they wanted in on the whole cinematic universe, but no, just make stand alone movies that can be connected but not direct sequels and that is gritty, tense and claustrophobic.

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
Flawed as these movies may be, I'd prefer that they be able to just finish them as intended.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Scott literally pulled a Lucas with these movies. Prequels people thought they wanted only to turn out to be pointless at best and actively harmful to the original at worst.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Like Jurassic world, I don't think Aliens is the sort of franchise that really benefits from being a franchise. And in particular, the direction Ridley Scott decided to take the franchise is just fucking weird. And even ignoring either of those, Prometheus and Alien Covenant are some of the dumbest movies to come out in recent memory.

So yeah, good riddance.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Can we just get Blomkamp's thing?

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who liked Prometheus(more or less) I'm still upset that I didn't get a sequel to it with Noomi Rapace and a robot head in a bag scootin' across the galaxy looking for their asshole progenitors.

Zygnosis

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I'm ok with this. It should die. It sucks.

Now give us the Blomkamp's Alien to reboot it correctly.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Whenever people say movies can't retroactively harm those in the past this is the movie series I use to show they can.

Prometheus and the stupid fucking "Engineers" ruined the mystery of that Space Jockey. Also no, the space jockey was NOT a bloody suit, it was a fossilized skeleton of a weird ass alien species, it was also about 15 ft tall and a lot bulkier then the Engineers we got in Prometheus, "human" looking giant Aliens are one of the most boring and laziest designs for making an Alien imo.

Then Alien Covenant had to go and ruin the origins of the Alien (the version of it we know), which should have NEVER BEEN revealed.

It's like he doesn't grasp that some things are better left unknown, it's the idea of them that makes them scary and that sense of the Xenomorph having been a perfectly evolved species for survival. Seeing this huge ass looking Space Jockey and wondering where it came from, how old it is, and realizing that it too succumbed to the Xenomorph and just how old and long the Xenomorph had survived is what made it horrifying.

Having the Xenomorph be David's "design" and him doing what he did to Shaw made ZERO DAMN SENSE. Like seriously, wtf? The only good thing Prometheus did was have an ending that set up something that could have been great, Shaw and David going to the Engineer world and interacting with them, they could have made something amazing out of that, totally go for a 2001 style space movie, something more along The Martian in tone with actual SMART choices and interesting questions that it could prose by Shaw and David meeting the Engineers and having humanity's first interaction with an intelligent non-hostile alien species. Instead they literally threw that whole thing out for one of the most GENERIC "twists" and one of the worst things they could do to the Alien franchise.

They should have just made Prometheus/Covenant it's own separate thing not tied into the Alien series.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when Alien(s) in these movies were alien creatures who were just kind of analogue for the unknown? They made one pretty good horror movie and then one pretty good action movie about them.

Hero of Time

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, good thing they put a stop to Ridley Scott's madness. After Alien Covenant, this movie would have bombed even harder. Canceling it was the smart decision.

Legit couldn't believe what I was seeing when David uttered the now famous "you blow, I'll do the fingering" and of course the other tons of dumb shit in that movie. Had a strong feeling Covenant would bomb when I walked out the theater.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
We thought we wanted to know the journey of how we got to Alien but it turns out even though the multi way transportation offered a very nice view (I like the cinematography of the two movies), we traveled with a bunch of weird people that soured the journey. And at the end of the second exchange the third leg is cancelled and you discovered that teleportation has already been invented and you traveled through two bad movies for nothing.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I liked Prometheus, but this shit is getting stupid

Give Alien a streamlined sequel in line with the original, lower budget, with a directing/writing combo that excels at the format.

All of this shit that came after Prometheus is so wretched that it's goimg to make me like Prometheus. I mean damn, at least it had something to say vaguely infer. The ideas it put out there, and the concept of how it ended was worth actually following up on.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So is the Alien franchise for the foreseeable future?
Presumably.

Prometheus made $403 million off of a $120 million dollar budget, which is pretty alright for an R-rated sci-fi film.

"Alien: Covenant" had a budget of about $100 million, and made only $70 million domestically and $170 million globally. While not bad, those are not good numbers since they imply a third entry would do so bad that it wouldn't even make back its budget, including global territories. Basically, that downward trend combined with a bigger budget means a definite no-go. So, yes, it is dead for the foreseeable future.

cervanky

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's all...so....awful.

Ridley Scott's some kind of savant who doesn't understand his own work. Like he has an incredible eye, he understands mood, tone, pacing...but you better hope he's paired with a screenwriter who knows what they're doing because Ridley Scott sure doesn't grasp what he's filming. He's like the best example against the single-auteur theory in that his work so clearly demonstrates how film is a collaborate process where multiple artists contribute to the final piece, not just the director (see: Scott's take on BR that led to the Final Cut).

Here's some of what Dan O'Bannon, Alien's screenwriter, had to say in various interviews over the years:

Where would you like to see the next Alien film head? Perhaps back to the more high-budget universe that you---

O'Bannon: I'd like to see it stop. A horror movie's a fragile thing, and once you've gotten past the original, it isn't scary anymore. So you do a bunch of sequels to a horror movie, all they do is drain any remaining impact out of the original. All of the sequels to for instance Invasion Of The Bodysnatchers, same thing; they over-expose the ideas, and when you look at the original, it's not as effective as it would have been if you had just left it alone.

But money makes the world go round and Hill and Giler saw that as the best way to make more money without having to do any work. So as producers with an in at Fox, they just continue to shove those things through.

So as far as you're concerned the Alien franchise is pretty much played out now?

O'Bannon: It was played out after the first one, as far as I'm concerned. Cameron, in the first one, did about the only thing you could do, which was that he changed to a different genre, from a horror movie to an action film. But once he had done that, there really was nothing left to do. And they just keep squeezing the thing till it's an empty bag. But as long as it keeps bringing in money to them, they'll keep doing it.

And regarding the Space Jockeys....
"In my script," said O'Bannon, "[the pilot] was a space-going race that landed on the planet and had been wiped out by whatever was there. And now the Earthmen come and they endanger themselves in the same way."

Like, no shit. That's the point. Watching the first movie, I assumed the Space Jockeys were just some random other unfortunate race that fell victim to the Xenomorph. The alien was just what would result when the forces of evolution by natural selection acted upon life in space. Nature's scary enough on Earth, so what evolution would produce in space....

I know that Ridley Scott had in his mind for a long while that they were bioweapons, but I feel like that's so small. There's an existential fear in the unknown, and reducing the xenomorph to a manmade creation explains it away, it turns it into something that might as well be a killer robot.

It's funny. There was a period in the development of Alien that they considered making the xenomorph a creation of the Company!
When David Giler and Walter Hill began to rewrite O'Bannon's script, the alien pilot was removed – along with every other extraterrestrial element. In their initial versions of the film, the titular Alien was a product of The Company's bioweapons division, with the spore housed in an off-world facility known as The Cylinder. The extraterrestrial pilot was rewritten as a downed human pilot that the Nostromo crew find dead within his vehicle, a ship recognised by Dallas as a "L-52."
But they knew this was a mistake, they knew that had to keep the alien an "Alien". And now, with the twist Ridley Scott made to the lore in Prometheus and Covenant....it isn't as alien, really. I mean, it's a creature from off-world, yes, but it has a very human origin. Go figure.

If all we knew about alien was that it evolved somewhere else, the scariest question in my mind would be....what sort of ecosystem could this thing have come from? If this is what a parasite looks like, what else is from its world...? What could a predator of this thing possibly have been, or what else existed in this food chain...?

qB0pSwnm.jpg

17vi6sr59z7b7jpg.jpg

They had countless opportunities to use the question "What kind of horrible planet would produce a creature like Alien as just one of its species?" as a foundation for a movie.

Or just make one about some giant pale humans hunting Fassbender, I guess.

Last edited:

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Calling Prometheus "god awful" feels a bit much. It's quite a flawed movie but I wouldn't say it's terrible.

Convenant is clearly a worse movie.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
If this movie is not cancelled I wonder how they can top the stupidity and idiocy of the characters in both Promotheus and especially Covenant.

Despite them being allegedly highly intelligent folks, so many things happened in both those movies simply because they were acting like huge idiots.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
If this movie is not cancelled I wonder how they can top the stupidity and idiocy of the characters in both Promotheus and especially Covenant.

Despite them being allegedly highly intelligent folks, so many things happened in both those movies simply because they were acting like huge idiots.
Humanity's brigthest minds are sent to a literal alien planet and suddenly they all get out of their suits to touch, breathe and snort everything on sight.

Five year olds at the park know better than doing that in front of their parents.

Deleted member 4179

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love the aesthetics of Prometheus and Covenant so much that I want this movie no matter how much it sucks.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Humanity's brigthest minds are sent to a literal alien planet and suddenly they all get out of their suits to touch, breathe and snort everything on sight.

Five year olds at the park know better than doing that in front of their parents.

Covenant was the last movie I remember seeing in the theater where I actually walked out of the room angry after finishing it. It's Idiot Plot all over the place. It's insulting.

Oct 27, 2017
You can't make a better Alien than Alien. I like that Ridley Scott took a different direction with those prequels and I would have watched this one.

Dragun

Oct 30, 2017
Probably would've sucked story wise but it definitely would've looked damn good especially in trailer form. lol

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I still remember seeing Covenant in an IMAX theater with my friend.

The entire theater was laughing, LAUGHING, during the backburster scene.

Then "I'll do the fingering" brought the house down again.

When Dr. Manhattan stuck his stupid face into the egg, someone said out loud "are you fucking serious?" and the whole theater laughed again.