Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
I wonder if Mitch Dyer credentials ever questioned when he left IGN to work on Star Wars: Squadrons and Battlefront like some people are doing it for Alanah.

Congrats to her, and wonder if she is working on a new IP. SSM has tons of writers

Last edited:

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Ok, let's set this straight.

For people questioning her 'credentials' of creative writing talent:

- Alanah has been writing novels and short stories for quite some time now, but these remain private and unpublished. No one knows what her writing creative abilities are, so don't assume she can't do it.

- This is Sony Santa Monica's problem, not yours. It's for a junior writing position and implies a decent amount of learning on the job. They've obviously seen something in her, and how good she's done at everything else in the last 10 years if her career, who's to say she won't be great at this too.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
And besides her writing skill, they probably also saw a lot of value in her personality and character and what it can bring to the studio's culture.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
- This is Sony Santa Monica's problem, not yours. It's for a junior writing position and implies a decent amount of learning on the job. They've obviously seen something in her, and how good she's done at everything else in the last 10 years if her career, who's to say she won't be great at this too.
Exactly what I was thinking lol

A proven studio like SSM wouldn't hire someone they didn't think was up to the task.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
I wonder if Mitch Dyer credentials ever questioned when he left IGN to work on Star Wars: Squadrons and Battlefront like some people are doing it for Alanah.

Congrats to her, and wonder if she is working on a new IP. SSM has tons of writers

Never, it could be a Era/Old place poster getting the job and he would get praised to heavens.

also:

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
Showing her private writing is similar to someone showing an employer their home lab or virtual lab. It can do a lot to show skills regardless of what people think.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Go to...that forum if you think this is bad.
God how that place fell hard.
It's gotten astonishingly worse. I looked at the Capcom thread as well and holy shit, that entire placed neededed to be it nuked from above. I know this place is a strict but even on other forums a majority of that stuff wouldn't fly. Very telling that the owner is perfectly fine with what it's become and shows that everyone abandoning ship was not an overeaction.

He deserves to lose everything - there's absolutely nothing redeeming about that community in it's current state. It is truly that bad.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Damn. Going from game journalism to being a writer at a AAA studio. Sounds like a total dream scenario. Good for her!

Man, I kinda wish I had some sort of job in the game industry, but I'm not creative enough nor do I have much knowledge about the technical stuff behind it all. :(

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
A belated congratulations to Alanah! That's fantastic news, I hadn't realized she wanted to work in video games as a writer -- and wow, SSM, too, I can absolutely see why it was an opportunity she couldn't pass up. All the best to her going forward. (I'm glad the Play, Watch, Listen podcast is continuing, too, it's fantastic.)

For those dismissing the caliber of Alanah's work, I'm sure SSM went, "Ah, yes, we need more advertising for the next entry in our critically and commercially successful God of War franchise-- let's hire Alanah Pearce as a junior writer! That'll do it!" Good lord. Alanah spent years putting in the work, she had a great opportunity, and it paid off.

tumblr_pgqfmmlMV51un7uhro3_540.gifv

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Never, it could be a Era/Old place poster getting the job and he would get praised to heavens.

also:

Women really can't be both good looking and smart without everyone second guessing them, can they?
It's 2020 and this shit is always happening. It's kind of upsetting to a point and i'm not a a woman, lmao.

Jeepman87

Sep 16, 2020
Yeah she mentions in the video she's wrote screenplays, lots of short stories, books, and game jams and consulted on games and much more, she's clearly done a ton of writing.

What screenplays has she written? I'm not see much on IMDB so maybe someone here can point me in the right direction?

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree. I was looking forward to their wacky interpretation of a new Mythology (in the vein of their version of Greek mythology) and kiliing lots of monsters and gods. Instead i got sad dad and toxic mom (or toxic parents in general lets be honest) stretched over the entirety of the game. It was very uninteresting to me to say the least. Don't get me wrong i liked a lot about the game. Combat was great as was the looks and the music but the story was just so lame. I liked Mimir though lol.

writing wasn't good cause you didn't get to kill lots of gods?

Jeepman87

Sep 16, 2020
Congrats to her for sure. Sounds like a great opportunity for her to hone her craft and collaborate with a great team!

Side note: I wonder if she wrote some of the backstory and/or dialogue for her in-game characters like in cyberpunk?

Lexad

"This guy are sick"
Nov 4, 2017
Just found the video on Youtube and so incredibly happy for her. I loved her back on Podcast Beyond.