Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
There's definitely an argument that this sets dangerous precedent, but it also presents an interesting legal dilemma.

If a person were to shoot an obviously pregnant woman (Say 9 months) with the intention to kill the baby, do they charge the shooter with murder, attempted murder, or felony assault with a deadly weapon? If a fetus has no rights until it's actually born, then it has to be either attempted murder (of the mother) or assault with a deadly weapon. At that point, could the defense argue that the shooter had no intentions of killing the mother, only the unborn child and preempt the attempted murder charge?
I don't even think it's been a controversial decision. When an outside actor is involved, they're charged with both crimes because it's up to the mother to choose the fate of their fetus.

Shooting at the mom necessarily requires that you're injuring the mom. And gut shots are dangerously fatal.

The fetus has no rights. But the mother has total control during the pregnancy.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
This is such a lawschool hypothetical on one hand. On the other hand, it couldn't possibly be a hypothetical because it really happened. Lastly, I don't know what public policy argument to finish my essay off with because everything about this case sucks.

The public policy argument for death of a fetus is that if you don't criminalize (outside of abortions) then there is no way to hold an attacker responsible for depriving a woman of her child.

The public policy argument for indirect responsibility is that the death wouldn't have occurred if not for the original crime, so liability flows to the criminal actor. It is most often used when a group commits a crime, and one or more are killed.

Both can be debated, but you're seeing the results of them interacting here.

If this wasn't self defense, the shooter would be facing manslaughter and this likely wouldn't be news.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
The public policy argument for death of a fetus is that if you don't criminalize (outside of abortions) then there is no way to hold an attacker responsible for depriving a woman of her child.

The public policy argument for indirect responsibility is that the death wouldn't have occurred if not for the original crime, so liability flows to the criminal actor. It is most often used when a group commits a crime, and one or more are killed.

Both can be debated, but you're seeing the results of them interacting here.

If this wasn't self defense, the shooter would be facing manslaughter and this likely wouldn't be news.
Yes you can. There is plenty of precedent to this. The mother has 100% control of her body, no matter what's growing within it. An outside attacker has always been different than the choices a mother makes while pregnant.

This is new territory that Alabama is going down due 100% their obsession with regulating women pregnancies.

It's also no different than laws a state like Georgia has passed that criminalizes formal abortions, charges the doctor, and charges the mother.

Last edited:

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Apparently the mother started the fight, and presumably the shooting was considered to be an appropriate act of self-defense. So the mother is being charged with manslaughter, which I'm guessing is also what you'd get if you started a fight and a bystander caught a stray?

EDIT: Like, it's all in the article, guys. I can't tell if y'all are just surprised or legitimately didn't bother to read it.
Being that 90% of replies are "wut!" any by the question being asked it's obvious almost no one read the article..this applies to most threads and even OPs

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
If they were fighting over the baby's father, then the shooter knew the lady was pregnant and shot her in the stomach anyway. But she walks free why?

Fuck that backwards-ass, piece of shit state forever.

JackSwift

Oct 28, 2017
The mother incited a fight that caused the shooter to defend themselves. The charges against the shooter are dismissed on the grounds of self-defense.

The unborn infant died as a result of the mother's negligence and assault, and she's charged with manslaughter.

This is an utterly bizarre ass case.
Thank you for this explanation. I'm very high right now and the article is very confusing to me at the moment.

This is some Law & Order SVU level shit right here.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Would someone explain to me the difference under the laws of Georgia?

The law says a doctor (outside attacker), can be charged for performing an abortion (fetus death), and also the mother can be charged for allowing it (and even paying for it to happen).

Here, a mom made a decision to get into a fight, which is unfortunate - self actor if you will. As a result, her fetus died. And as a result, the state is charging the mom for the death of the fetus. Is there a major difference here?

In my view, it's cut from the same cloth of draconian views of women's rights.

Mest08

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Fucking gun culture. A woman loses her child because she allegedly started a fight that escalated to her being shot and that is on her? Yet the shooter gets off? The arresting officer gets to make the assertion that the only victim is the fetus? What the hell?
Yes, the arresting officer is to blame for the grand jury dropping the charges against the shooter.

Some of you all quick to say fuck the police at any chance (except when the GOP threatens law enforcement, that is.)

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
There's definitely an argument that this sets dangerous precedent, but it also presents an interesting legal dilemma.

If a person were to shoot an obviously pregnant woman (Say 9 months) with the intention to kill the baby, do they charge the shooter with murder, attempted murder, or felony assault with a deadly weapon? If a fetus has no rights until it's actually born, then it has to be either attempted murder (of the mother) or assault with a deadly weapon. At that point, could the defense argue that the shooter had no intentions of killing the mother, only the unborn child and preempt the attempted murder charge?

Nah, a reasonable person would know that a miscarriage can kill the woman. It's still trying to murder a woman but the miscarriage is the murder weapon so to speak. It could be first degree if the prosecution words it right. But probably a manslaughter.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is such a lawschool hypothetical on one hand. On the other hand, it couldn't possibly be a hypothetical because it really happened. Lastly, I don't know what public policy argument to finish my essay off with because everything about this case sucks.
Deterrence over rehabilitation and reform the MPC. Close the laptop and hit the bar.

Masseyme

Banned
May 23, 2019
This would set the dumbest precedent I've ever seen. I can't believe people are even pondering this nonsense.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
This is new territory that Alabama is going down due 100% their obsession with regulating women pregnancies.

This would set the dumbest precedent I've ever seen. I can't believe people are even pondering this nonsense.

You're both about 25 years too late if you think this is a new legal theory.

If they were fighting over the baby's father, then the shooter knew the lady was pregnant and shot her in the stomach anyway. But she walks free why?

Fuck that backwards-ass, piece of shit state forever.

Because the shooter is considered the victim of an attack, and the shooting is considered an act self defense.

Thank you for this explanation. I'm very high right now and the article is very confusing to me at the moment.

This is some Law & Order SVU level shit right here.

There probably is a L&O ep covering it. That show seems to hit all the legal case theories.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
You're both about 25 years too late if you think this is a new legal theory.

Because the shooter is considered the victim of an attack, and the shooting is considered an act self defense.

There probably is a L&O ep covering it. That show seems to hit all the legal case theories.
What? Nobody is arguing that an outside attacker can't or shouldn't be held responsible for a crime that results in the death of a fetus that the mother did not want.

This on the other hand is punishing the mother herself for making a bad decision. Which is a terrible precedent and a direct attack on a woman's autonomy. The point of something like this it to try to criminalize attacking a fetus in any capacity even within abortion. And it's extremely obvious here.

Last edited:

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If you read the article it is pretty clear.

The shooter was originally arrested. It came out that the shooter was acting in self defense.

If you commit a crime that results in the death of another, you can often be charged with the death, even if you were not the direct cause.

In short, the prosecutor is saying that this woman attacked the other to the point where she feared for her life. That other woman shot the attacker in self defense. The in utero baby died, and since the shot was defense, not aggression, the mom is responsible.

That is the legal theory being used.

Thanks, I read it twice before your reply and even after your reply I still think it is bullshit.

InceptionLoop

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Some of the comments here are weird. I seriously doubt the mother's attack was anything close as to warrant being shot at.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The person who got shot was charged with manslaughter. I don't give a damn if she started the fight, that's just ridiculous.

Again, The person who got shot was charged with manslaughter. That makes no sense

The person who got shot was charged with manslaughter. I don't give a damn if she started the fight, that's just ridiculous.

Again, The person who got shot was charged with manslaughter. That makes no sense
That part does actually make sense — if the person who was attacked was found to be legally justified in defending herself, then fault resides with the attacker. You see that also in cases involving, for instance, the use of bystanders as a human shield.

Now, the question in this case is the decision to assign the fetus that sort of separate legal personhood for the purposes of criminal law.

qaopjlll

Oct 27, 2017
So what if instead of being pregnant, the woman who started the fight had an actual child with her, and the woman defending herself shot and killed the child? Does the shooter still walk and the mother still gets charged, according to Alabama law?

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
How is this possible?
So, from the article, the pregnant woman was the one who started the fight, and the woman who shot her was acting in self defense. I don't know how much this represents what actually happened but presumably there's some kind of evidence behind this chain of events.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
The mother incited a fight that caused the shooter to defend themselves. The charges against the shooter are dismissed on the grounds of self-defense.

The unborn infant died as a result of the mother's negligence and assault, and she's charged with manslaughter.

This is an utterly bizarre ass case.

It's probably entirely about Alabama building strong fetal personhood precedent so they can pass bullshit abortion restrictions

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
wtf, that's the most backwards racist and sexist shit I've read. I hope they get laughed out of the court room by a higher court. Backwards pricks.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's the thing: the shooter knew the woman was pregnant. Under Alabama law, it seems the fetus has rights. Doesn't that extend to the right to not have lethal force used against it, unless it, specifically, was being defended against?

In an active shooter situation I don't have the right to set off plastic explosives killing the shooter and anyone in the vicinity
That part does actually make sense — if the person who was attacked was found to be legally justified in defending herself, then fault resides with the attacker. You see that also in cases involving, for instance, the use of bystanders as a human shield.

Now, the question in this case is the decision to assign the fetus that sort of separate legal personhood for the purposes of criminal law.
No it doesn't. The shooter has the right to defend themselves with lethal Force only against the assailant. They don't have a license to Kill.
If the fetus is a person then the right to deploy lethal force against it is contingent on it presenting a clear and present threat to the would-be deployer.

You can't argue simultaneously that the shooter had the right to shoot the fetus and the fetus maintained the right to not be shot. That's an inconsistent framework edit: ... if you want to assign to it personhood and the same rights as you would a real person.

Last edited:

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
This is really going under the radar with the debates tonight and tomorrow. I hope someone brings this up tomorrow night at the debate.

Tya

Oct 30, 2017
A woman whose unborn baby was killed in a 2018 Pleasant Grove shooting has now been indicted in the death.

Marshae Jones, a 27-year-old Birmingham woman, was indicted by a Jefferson County grand jury on a manslaughter charge. She was taken into custody on Wednesday.

Though Jones didn't fire the shots that killed her unborn baby girl, authorities say she initiated the dispute that led to the gunfire. Police initially charged 23-year-old Ebony Jemison with manslaughter, but the charge against Jemison was dismissed after the grand jury failed to indict her.

I'm not really sure what to add.

Eldy

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
And it's an epically dumb one. But one that should be of no shock with a shit tier police institution within the United States and especially Alabama. An outside actor causing an issue, sure. Going after the mother with a 5 month old fetus? Nah, that shit is nothing but an avenue to try to prosecute a pregnant mom for anything undesirable. An unborn fetus does not have the rights and protections of a born human.

In Alabama, legally speaking, an unborn fetus does in fact have those rights. The concept is called fetal personhood and there's been a very long incremental legal process towards outcomes like this, with the ultimate aim of banning abortion. Part of that push is the general concept of fetal homicide, which is recognized at the federal level and in 38 states, so unfortunately not just Alabama and Mississippi. It's a rather clever tactic, really, though obviously being used towards incredibly shitty ends.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
So I get dropping the charges against the other woman if the gun was fired in self-defense because the mother was actively trying to kill the other woman, or something...but I don't get charging the mother with anything other than assault unless she was actively trying to get the fetus killed?

Desparadina

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
it's already been said that strict abortion laws affect women of color (particularly black women) despite the absurdity of the entire thing it's not a surprise to me that they've found a new way to criminalize black women's bodies like this.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
In Alabama, legally speaking, an unborn fetus does in fact have those rights. The concept is called fetal personhood and there's been a very long incremental legal process towards outcomes like this, with the ultimate aim of banning abortion. Part of that push is the general concept of fetal homicide, which is recognized at the federal level and in 38 states, so unfortunately not just Alabama and Mississippi. It's a rather clever tactic, really, though obviously being used towards incredibly shitty ends.
Which wouldn't be shocking for a backwards state like Alabama. And again, someone attacking a mother and causing the death of a fetus is a completely different situation than prosecuting the mother herself for causing the death of her own fetus.

I think there are very few people that have an issue with an outside attacker being held liable for causing the death of a fetus. This situation, though, is fucked as like you pointed out the clear aim is to go after abortion rights.

Eldy

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Which wouldn't be shocking for a backwards state like Alabama. And again, someone attacking a mother and causing the death of a fetus is a completely different situation than prosecuting the mother herself for causing the death of her own fetus.

I think there are very few people that have an issue with an outside attacker being held liable for causing the death of a fetus. This situation, though, is fucked as like you pointed out the clear aim is to go after abortion rights.

What makes it completely different, though? You can't revoke someone's personhood just because their death is being used by a prosecutor with shitty motives. If you treat fetuses as morally and legally equivalent to born people in cases where their death is caused by a third party, you have inescapably set a precedent that other people will use to push for more.

I think you're right that few people take issue with fetal homicide laws in general, but that's part of the problem--and what makes it such a clever tactic. Nobody wants to be in the position of arguing "against" innocent mothers and dead children. It's not like I'm enjoying it right now, but that discomfort has allowed the anti-abortion side to make huge strides in recent decades.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Without actually seeing the altercation I can't say whether the shooting was justified or not.

But how the hell are you going to charge the person who was shot with manslaughter? If it was justified then charge the person who was shot with battery or whatever for the inciting the shooting, but FFS charging them with manslaughter for someone else shooting them?

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Here's the thing: the shooter knew the woman was pregnant. Under Alabama law, it seems the fetus has rights. Doesn't that extend to the right to not have lethal force used against it, unless it, specifically, was being defended against?

In an active shooter situation I don't have the right to set off plastic explosives killing the shooter and anyone in the vicinity

No it doesn't. The shooter has the right to defend themselves with lethal Force only against the assailant. They don't have a license to Kill.
If the fetus is a person then the right to deploy lethal force against it is contingent on it presenting a clear and present threat to the would-be deployer.

You can't argue simultaneously that the shooter had the right to shoot the fetus and the fetus maintained the right to not be shot. That's an inconsistent framework edit: ... if you want to assign to it personhood and the same rights as you would a real person.

Yup thanks for spelling out the immediate thoughts most of us have.

So fucking insane.

Heard on Howard stern that it's totally possible to rape a woman in Alabama, force her to go through pregnancy, and have paternal rights after relatively little prison time. Fucking insane. Alabama is fucked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.