• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is reclining your seat in economy class-knowing it causes discomfort to the person behind you- rude?

• Yes. It’s rude.

Votes: 261 63.7%
  • No, it’s not rude. Fuck their discomfort. I pAiD fOR tHiS fEaTUrE

Votes: 149 36.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. I bought a ticket that lets me recline. If you want more space, buy a ticket that gives you more space. If recliners bothered me that much that I would feel the need to PHYSICALLY respond, I'd buy fucking business class tickets.
how about you buy me that ticket, I aint got that fucking kind of money

amazing how fucking inconsiderate recliners are, fuck you got mine right

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Reclining seats in economy are a joke and should be removed.

I agree, especially during shorthaul/domestic day flights.

I have no problem with reclining on long/red-eye flights though, the airlines have made flying such a shitty experience that reclining is pretty much necessary to get even a few mins of sleep.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
JMHO but perfect parable for our society.

Airlines crowd too many people together to allow for a reclining function built in to the seat, in order to sell more tickets and make more profit. So we lash out at EACH OTHER, the closest and most obvious target for our inconvenience.

Whatever choice someone makes with their seat they should be treated with sympathetic solidarity that we're all unwillingly forced into this fucked up situation just to get somewhere, in the name of moar margin.
You're not wrong, but everyone knows how little space there is, and the woman knew that the row behind her couldn't even recline. She was the first to say "fuck solidarity" by reclining.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Every European flight I've been on has stewards and stewardesses telling people to put their seat back up if they see someone recline it. And they actually look for it. Is that not a thing elsewhere?

Why do people think they are entitled to use everything in their vicinity? I'm pretty sure it's there for emergencies or if the seat behind you is empty.
Every European flight I've been on has been the exact opposite.
And he didn't pay for his seat to have his space invaded?

Is what he did wrong? Yes. Is he "wrong"? Nope.
He's in the last row for a reason.

meow

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Seriously, all the "no recline or die" people in this thread must be flying some airlines/planes I'm not used to. Every plane I've been on, the seat pivots and the space for my knees barely changesl; the top of the seat moves maaaaybe 3 inches closer to your face.

If you're so tall that your knees are coming up halfway up the back...sorry, you need to buy a seat with more room. Airplane seats are the absolute worst but if you don't fit in the seat, that's on you (and the airline), not the person in front of you. People are all 100% ready to jump down the throat of anyone who might be too big/wide/fat to fit width-wise in one seat and spills over but make it about not fitting length-wise and all of a sudden you have free reign to be an asshole to everyone around you?

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm confident that a majority of the people complaining about reclining aren't even being that impacted by it. I'm 6' tall and when a seat reclines in front of me, I am not made more uncomfortable. The only thing that can be tougher is a laptop since the angle of the seat can get annoying for the screen. Even food is pretty close to the same experience.

At 6'1, most of that height in my legs, my knees are already making contact with the seat in front of me even upright.
Now all of the sudden, that seat comes back 2-3 inches, my knees are being forced into by someone who is ,at best, inconsiderate.

Now I usually default to explaining the situation and asking them to keep their seat upright, but some people are just assholes...

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
He seems to tell her to turn her fucking phone off
Is that what he leaned forward and whispered? Lol yeah I dont know what happened before the video starts but she seems like she is enjoying it . She has a smile on her face and one would think a person with all those neck problems she claims would be doing anything but smile.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
And he didn't pay for his seat to have his space invaded?

Is what he did wrong? Yes. Is he "wrong"? Nope.
I mean, yeah, he kinda did? He paid for the same seat everyone else did. He didn't pay for a special economy seat where the seat ahead can't recline. If it's that important to him, he's got to pay for an exit row seat or first class or something.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Full blown psychopath behavior from the guy in the last row. Reclining airplane seats are right up there with tipping and circumcision as a hotbed of toxic discourse. I'm big, I don't recline, I don't love it when the guy in front of me reclines, but I don't get to touch them or harass them as revenge. Crazy shit.

chapel

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
I think declining is inconsiderate with how small seats are today especially when the people behind you can't recline themselves. Looking at the clip, it looks like the guy is in the back row and iirc most back rows can't recline, if that is the case then he can't make extra space himself. She would be literally taking space away from him. Regardless his behavior is bad and in no way justified, if he has a problem with her reclining he should try talking to her and if she refuses talk to the crew and see if they can mediate.

For me personally, I am a big guy, so much so I need to get an extra seat so I'm not encroaching on the person next to me. This means the small forward space is even less for me. When people recline in front of me, it means the seat back can be touching me, now imagine having an 11 hour flight with the person in front of you reclined sleeping and you have less than an inch of space. Now did I hit or do anything to the seat or person in front of me? No I just endured it because it isn't the guys fault that I am overweight but I won't recline because I understand all to well how uncomfortable it can make the person behind me.

Ultimately I think they should remove the recline functionality because it is dumb that someone else can encroach on your space and you have no way to move or compensate for that lost space. Oh and the argument that you paid for the right to recline, no you paid for the right to sit in a seat and that is it. If crew asked you not to recline for whatever reason you'd have to do it. Hell they can force you off the plane even if you paid for the ticket.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Every European flight I've been on has stewards and stewardesses telling people to put their seat back up if they see someone recline it. And they actually look for it. Is that not a thing elsewhere?

Why do people think they are entitled to use everything in their vicinity? I'm pretty sure it's there for emergencies or if the seat behind you is empty.
lol wat
Emergency reclining. Got it.

If you buy a ticket on an airline, knowing full well that the seats on said airline include the ability to recline as part of your purchase, then get mad at somebody for making use of that feature, you're a dumbass.

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

Never seen this happen in my life. They will tell you to put your seat up during takeoff and landing if you recline, but not during the cruising altitudes.

Feb 4, 2018
Most, if not all, airplanes feature seats that recline.

If most airplanes are full of reclining seats then purchasing a ticket to fly on one of those airplanes means that regardless of where you sit, the possibility that the person in front of you wants to recline their seat is something you have to account for if you want to fly.

There's a discussion to be had around whether airliners should outfit their planes with seats that recline, but knowing that the person in front of you might recline their seat is baked into the current system of flying.

Someone punching, touching, lightly hitting or making any kind of physical contact with a reclined chair is not baked into the price of an airplane ticket and is harassment.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
As long as the seats can recline, then it's not wrong to use it. You paid for an economy seat with reclining feature. You get an economy seat with reclining feature.

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
I'm not someone who flys often for work or anything, but I've had my share of flights over the years, including maybe a dozen cross-country flights. I've literally never seen anyone get mad at someone in front of them reclining their seat. I certainly wouldn't have a problem with it. It goes back, like, what, 5 inches? It's weird to me that this is even an issue.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
It's not her job to make sure he's comfortable. If she wants to recline her seat, then she can do that. If this was causing that much trouble for him, then he should spoke to her about it instead of being a child and hitting her seat and muttering to himself about it.

I understand that he's frustrated with less space, but this just makes him look like an asshole.

SuperHans

Oct 27, 2017
If you are over 6 foot when someone reclines they will likely smash into your knees. I did a transatlantic flight where a short person in front of me reclined so that they could put their feet up on the back of the seat in front of them. This made my flight a right ol' pain in the knees.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If someone reclined her seat oleve though it was clearly annoying me AND THEN started recording me I would be pretty pissed too.

Punching the seat is pretty lame though. Plenty of other counter attacks.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Should he have punched? No. I do however understand the frustration.

Sitting behind a person who reclines their seat is awful though. There's already so little space in a plane, people reclining their seat give the person behind them even less space.

I never recline my seat. Sure, planes are uncomfortable, but I'm not the kind of person who will actively make it even more uncomfortable for the person behind me.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
She paid for it. And if she is able to recline her seat then by all means. If it bothers him that much he should have paid to be in first class or some shit.

with that said, I never recline my seat unless I absolutely have to.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know you can recline your seat, but you shouldn't. If you're in economy the person next to you and behind you is just as uncomfortable as you are and by reclining your seat you're telling them that your comfort is more important than theirs.

Honestly though the worst thing is someone who doesn't understand that you don't need to push your finger through the touchscreen to watch a movie. The constant rocking caused by their fe fi fo fuming of their in-seat display makes me want to punch them.

Deleted member 227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
...Like the person in the video?
I didn't actually look in to the person's story.

Literally never seen this in the EU/UK.
Never seen this happen in my life. They will tell you to put your seat up during takeoff and landing if you recline, but not during the cruising altitudes.
It deadass happened on my last flight to UK a month ago, I was sitting next to someone taller than me and the person in front of him reclined and he looked super uncomfortable, and a stewardesses caught it and told the person in front of them to put it back up.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Personally I just point the air fan at the person if they recline in front of me...

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't actually look in to the person's story.

It deadass happened on my last flight to UK a month ago, I was sitting next to someone taller than me and the person in front of him reclined and he looked super uncomfortable, and a stewardesses caught it and told the person in front of them to put it back up.
I'm sure it does happen sometimes, don't get me wrong.

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
Like how everyone is angry with each other and not at the airlines that provide fuck all room in the first place.
It's easier to appeal to the people for some common decency rather than ask airlines to change out their seats for non-reclining ones. I blame the airlines and the people who exploit the recline feature without consideration to others.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Unless you are on Jet Blue flying domestic, it's sadistic to recline your seat in coach, especially if the person behind you is over 6'.

Still, punching the seat rather than talking to the person in front of you is borderline assualt, he should've been removed from the flight.

TheAggroCraig

This guy are sick of the One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
I don't recline because I hate when people do it to me. Regardless this guy needs to chill the fuck out.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Yep. I bought a ticket that lets me recline. If you want more space, buy a ticket that gives you more space. If recliners bothered me that much that I would feel the need to PHYSICALLY respond, I'd buy fucking business class tickets.
I know you didn't mean it as such, but this sounds like a stealth brag post. Not everyone has the kind of money to upgrade to business class.

Status
Not open for further replies.