• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This is something I've wanted to talk about for a while, and since I'm trying desperately to not stress myself out about the election, I figured there's no better time.

I've been playing games for the better part of three decades; for a long time, my primary genres were turn-based RPGs, fighting games and stylish action games. But the older I get, the more my reflexes - more specifically, my hands' response time - decay. I can't necessarily react to things with the alacrity of a 14-year-old any longer. And in an era where RPGs have almost completely died out, and virtually every single major game is an action game with a heavy emphasis on reaction time and perfect dodging/parrying mechanics, this means less and less games feel playable, some for extended periods of time and others (Sekiro, as an example) almost entirely.

So for my fellow aging gamers, I wanted to ask: how are you handling the almost complete death of non-twitch combat? Are you still managing to have fun? Do you miss turn-based games or games with more relaxed combat mechanics? Do you think developers need to do more for players who can't necessarily keep up with the increasingly strict demands of twitch-heavy combat systems? What solution would you implement to increase playability in modern games?

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
I still have the knack for some things -- I can still bounce through a twichy platformer like Celeste or Super Meat Boy without much trouble. My fighting game skills have definitely deteriorated though.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly there isn't enough true twitch reflex type stuff so much is half ass.

We used to have a healthy dose of really crazy shit and then the more laid back stuff and a majority these days feels like some half ass inbetween. Kinda sucks.

That said I had to take it easy on my Nightmare playthrough of Doom Eternal's dlc. The levels are pretty long and demanding and it's pretty physically taxing so I just did it in little half chunks a day apart. Getting harder and harder for me to do mouse and keyboard stuff for long periods.

Still enjoying fighting games a ton. Accent Core bring brought back from the grave is the most Ive played a fighter all year and that game is bleeding edge fast

medli

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think reaction time / reflexes matter even a fraction of the amount people make them out to, to be honest.

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
Been playing games for 24 years. Recently enjoyed Doom Eternal quite a lot.

Revisited Megaman X4 recently and didn't do so well. Holding square down to charge the buster did leave my hands a little cramped.

Justsomeguy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Hah. Mid 40s checking in.

I basically avoid multiplayer nowdays.

Combine twitch reflexes with battle royale style games and there is just no fun in there for me.

OldManShoutingAtClouds.jpg

E: you asked about single player too... Just completed doom eternal. Did half of it on hurt me plenty then switched to lowest difficulty because OH MY GOD THE BULLSHIT. Haven't really had a problem on single player stuff - completed Ori 2 recently which was tough, fast reflexes needed, but what a great experience.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Slowly but surely nearing 40. I realize I can't compete in some online games against kids anymore (from CoD or Apex Legends to Mortal Kombat or Tekken)
I've got no problems with regular (single player) games though. Even better than when I was a teen lol.

panama chief

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017

can still hold my own in Destiny multiplayer.
quick response games like celeste and Ghostrunner arent a problem.

i just hope my hands keep up with my mind as i get older.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
I just can't hang with the younguns anymore, I get outshot in CoD and my only real chance in games like Apex is to have superior positioning, I don't do that and I lose gunfights.

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like if anything games have become more forgiving compared to the Arcade/NES/SNES days, at least for fighting games and "arcade-y" games to compensate for the aging gaming population. At the same time, though, games are becoming more action-focused due to the evolution of technology and developers being able to realize ambitions that were possible back then. Can't remember which interview it was, but I swear there was a Square Enix interview where they talked about moving more into action territory for that reason.

HonestAbe

May 19, 2020
I tend to use movement more now then flicks/twitch-y shots. I sort of can hit those shots but it's far less. I miss a lot of them in Sea of Thieves (which is the only FPS game I currently play) so I tend to use movement to gain an advantage. It's probably why I liked BF1 over BFV, too (even though I found BFV gun mechanics so much easier to learn and use. M1 spam!).

Heraldic

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Horrible, had to give up any competitive. So strictly casual/fun.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think my twitch reflexes are getting as rusty as I thought they would but I don't invest crazy hours in individual games anymore so no longer compete at the top end

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017

Used to be a pretty good quake player, but these days I'm definately mediocre. But I can still win a game in many shooters but that's due to strategy more than anything :p

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
My reactions in my 40s are noticeably slower than they were in my 20s but I still manage to clear G-rank on MonHun. It's mostly patience, experience and tenacity that gets me through rather than reactions these days, I don't mind if a game I love takes me a bit longer to master.

I've never enjoyed competitive online multiplayer and just avoid all that stuff anyway, but I do find there's plenty of turn-based RPGs still around if I look outside the mainstream. I lean into SRPGs and puzzles and dungeon crawlers a lot too, but that's genre preference as much as because I specifically go for turn-based games.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Yeah, I am just plain worse at games as I age. Everyone who thinks it won't happen is in for a rude awakening. I compensate with lower difficulties and basically avoiding competitive multiplayer (still love coop multiplayer though). I love when games have detailed accessibility settings that let you tweak certain aspects of difficulty. I also don't mind harder difficulties on some RPGs when it can be overcome with character progression and whatnot.

I would just ask devs to continue to add options, simple as that. The more granular the better.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I'd say it balances out between getting better at games since I have more experience than my 14 yo self but my reflexes have probably degraded a little bit.
I usually realize the decay of my reflexes when playing competitive fps games like CSGO or Valorant.
I also feel like I struggle with complex control schemes more than I would have as a kid.
I have trouble seamlessly switching between stance in Nioh to the point where I played the game using the same stance for most of my playthrough.

On the other hand, I did beat Sekiro and Bloodborne so at least I have that going for me, which is nice.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
I work with my hands every day doing a job that requires a lot of fast reaction and hand/eye coordination. So I'd say that's helped me maintain some of my reaction time. I'm certainly not as fast on the trigger as I was when I was in my teens or twenties, but I still do really well and hold my own.

Gonna be a sad day when online fps becomes too much for me.

firstseeker

Dec 4, 2019
No change for me. I never stopped playing twitch games and other genres that require precision like racers since the 8 bit Era. Sure I may not be able to beat a esports gamer on a 1v1 UT death match or tekken, but I can still hold my own and enjoy those games.

The key is to play a wide range of genres that require actual hand eye coordination. If you train your eyes and hands regularly, the decline in your gaming skills should be minimal.

Oct 25, 2017
As I approached my 30s, I actually started getting better at action games, and started playing most games on the hardest difficulty.
Through my teens and most of my 20s I played everything on normal.
I think I have better spatial awareness, precision, and pattern recognition than I used to.
My twitch reflexes do seem a bit slower, but are still quite good.
I do get exhausted a lot more quickly than I used to though, and can't just game all day anymore.

jwc13ac

Oct 30, 2017
I do wonder if its actually age that is slowing people down, or just reduced time spent gaming. As we get older life's priorities take a big chunk of gaming time.

I'm 36, own a business, so my gaming time is down. Yeah, certain games (especially fighting games) are tough online, but if I put in the time I can hang.

There are plenty of high level athletes in other sports like football and soccer that are late 30s early 40s that have no problem keeping up.

I don't think its the reaction time, more the time spent playing.

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
Accessibility settings are a godsend. I would've never finished Ikenfell in full manual. Not just reaction time, but concentration load.

I had a blast with Celeste, largely because even towards the end, it doesn't require really long segments of perfect execution.

Extended game segments that require 100% perfect execution are a pet peeve of mine. They aren't fun. *stares in Battletoads*

EDIT: Also, as a parent, most of my gaming time is in the evening, which means exhaustion is a big factor too. Like, some of those later stages of Celeste I actually needed to go to bed and come back the next day because my tired brain just couldn't execute.

OP
OP
PlanetSmasher

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Extended game segments that require 100% perfect execution are a pet peeve of mine. They aren't fun. *stares in Battletoads*

this is why I burned out on Sekiro. The game's boss fights just keep getting longer and longer and less forgiving as you go. The final boss basically requires you to be perfectly on your game for 10 to 15 minutes straight with no interruptions or breaks and it's EXHAUSTING, not fun.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think reflex or agility are necessarily in cause, if you look at musicians it's not a problem, but maybe concentration linked to these. And not the ability to learn new things but how fast you will do. At 17yo you would have learned new game faster than at your 40, but that doesn't mean that at 40 you will suck at "your" game and maybe the genre it belongs.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I'll be 52 in 2 days. Started gaming in the early 80s and probably game more now than ever before with my kids older. I've moved away from twitchy games and Souls like games because I just don't have the patience or coordination to beat my head against the wall repeatedly. I got Sekiro (Nioh) for free with PS+ and quit playing very quickly. I've played the Souls games and Bloodborne and thought they were fantastic, but I just don't have the energy to commit to them anymore. I did finish Horizons, GoW and Spider Man on the PS4 though.

I've always been a PC gamer first, so maybe that influences my gaming choices. I don't know if it is age or just my gaming preferences have shifted to more strategic, 4x and RPG type games.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
32 almost 33

I do not have the same quick reflexes like I had back in the heyday of the mid 2000's. I can still hold my own to a degree, but I know when I am clearly outclassed by other players.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
35, I mean you probably won't see me at the top of Valorant leaderboards for precision headshots anymore having played shooters since the 90s but that's about it

firstseeker

Dec 4, 2019
I do wonder if its actually age that is slowing people down, or just reduced time spent gaming. As we get older life's priorities take a big chunk of gaming time.

I'm 36, own a business, so my gaming time is down. Yeah, certain games (especially fighting games) are tough online, but if I put in the time I can hang.

There are plenty of high level athletes in other sports like football and soccer that are late 30s early 40s that have no problem keeping up.

I don't think its the reaction time, more the time spent playing.

Don't forget about physical health. I imagine most older gamers don't take care of their bodies and eat right. Old bodies can't shrug off sleep deprivation and bad diet like a teenager can.

Exercising regularly, eating healthy and getting a good night's rest has a massive impact on cognitive functions and mood.

Last edited:

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
35. I'd say I'm better at games than I've ever been. Even gone back and beat some NES games that were too hard for me as a kid.

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like I've gotten worse at multiplayer FPS, but it doesn't seem like the cause is slower reaction times or anything like that. It's the fact I'm not putting in 12 hour days for months on end like I used to. I'd start to worry if I could no longer beat the new DOOM games on Nightmare difficulty. Thankfully that day hasn't come yet.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
I mean I play fighters, so twitch ain't going anyway in my game lineup.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
In my mid 30s I'm finding that I'm getting better at this sort of thing rather than worse, just because I keep practicing

Bloodborne wasn't too bad to get through for the first time this year, and I'm much better at fighting games now than when I was younger

Generally speaking, even in twitch-based combat systems, I think awareness and tactics matter a lot more than frame-perfect execution. Even when that's still necessary, I can train for execution

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I get my arse kicked in Tekken 7 online and I enjoy it.

Haven't played a FPS multiplayer in years now.

Action RPGs are cool with me still. I still enjoy DMC series, Bayonetta series and games of its ilk nowadays too. No More Heroes is actually a series that allows me not to think too hard on defence and hack away. Platformers are pretty easy for me for the most part. Same goes for beat 'em up games like the recently release Streets of Rage 4 which I had no problems with mastering.

And the Muramasa DLC I played on Vita recently. No issues at all. Yet. *gulp*

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'd add disabled-Era to this too. More needs to be done for accessibility in these games, and games need not to be marketed as if everyone who plays them has such twitch-capable reflexes.

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
Reflexes or reaction time is not a problem for me, but my hands are getting pretty bad with pain when mashing buttons/doing fast combos. Even playing tony hawk was giving me a lot of pain the other day.

nopattern

Nov 25, 2017
I definitely feel this playing SSBU. I played a TON of Melee in college and me and some friends played Project M a few years back. I'm still decent, but I get these moments where I can't react fast enough or get my fingers to move fast enough/I press the wrong button and fuck myself up. Its weird and depressing lol

Rixan

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be 40 soon, and I was able to hit Immortal rank in Valorant. I definitely don't feel as "crisp" as often, but I can still frag

OP
OP
PlanetSmasher

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'd add disabled-Era to this too. More needs to be done for accessibility in these games, and games need not to be marketed as if everyone who plays them has such twitch-capable reflexes.

I think you're right. Developers really don't seem to be thinking of anyone but "average gamer" when they design these kinds of twitch-heavy combat systems and bosses that expect perfect execution for survival or progression.

Ghost Rider

Oct 27, 2017
I turn 45 in February and I have been gaming since my parents got the first Atari. I'm not sure if my reflexes have suffered much. I age well due to some good genetics and I don't drink any alcohol or do any drugs (not a judgement thing, just never had any desire to). The only issue I'm having now is that my eyes are really starting to suffer after 7 months of WFH and staring at screens. I've noticed I have A lot of issues now with dry eyes and pain. Sucks because just before COVID I was at my eye doctor and she remarked how great my vision was for my age :/.

I should mention that I do not play any mp games. I've just never found the appeal. I play games to get away from the world for a bit, not be screamed at by tweens dropping the N word

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's hard for me to tell as I rarely play multiplayer anymore and even 20 years ago I had chronic muscle pain that makes "mashy" games painful to play for long. I don't think my reaction times are much worse yet.

One thing that does bother me is I am much more prone to motion sickness in old first-person shooters now. Doom is one of my favourite games so it sucks that it causes me sickness.

Gacha Santa Alter

"This guy are sick"
Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell

Only thing I really notice is I just can't play games for as long as I used to, even if it's a game I love and I actually have time. I figure that's just a natural effect of not having as much stamina.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
For me it's less about not having the reflexes (not saying I'm who I was when I was a teenager, but I can hold my own in an anti-gravity race or a shooter).

It's more that, as an older person, the concept or motivation of "being good at aiming a reticle quick enough and accurately on a screen to score virtual kills" means much less than it used to. That's why I'm more into sims and such these days, where the actual thing you're doing seems more worthwhile and "deeper".